BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/2/2020 at 12:43 PM, B35 via Church said:

Any big ass cockroach in NYC, people call waterbugs - regardless if they fly or not.

=================

Anyway, it's news to me that the M15 short turns at Houston & the Bx7 short turns at Isham....

Lol at the moment when a BL-8 & a Bx10 (in this case) tried to simultaneously make that U-turn at Mt. St. Vincent..... IDK what either of them were thinking, but the MTA/Bx10 driver eventually let up & gave way to the Bee-Line driver....

Always heard stories about roaches on in-service buses in the Bronx back in the day; was lucky enough to never encounter it myself.

And yeah, the southbound Bx7 been short-turning at Isham for as long as the eastbound Bx10 been short-turning at Broadway.

On 10/2/2020 at 1:38 PM, B35 via Church said:

They may not blatantly say it, but that is the underlying message being conveyed with that.... The next shit is going to be to convey to people that they should gun for WFH jobs; further dictating how people should live their lives.....

On 10/2/2020 at 2:58 PM, WestFarms36 said:

There are people who can’t afford a Hotel Room to self isolate, or live in a single bedroom apartment with multiple family members which makes it impossible to self isolate which can sometimes lead to multiple people in that household to become infected. Telling a person who barely makes ends meet to get a car is nothing but an insult and there’s little that the city/state have done to mitigate that real problem.

On 10/3/2020 at 10:23 AM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Yeah I don't see how a doctor is supposed to check your temperature, heartbeat, blood pressure, etc through a Zoom call. And things like breathing (e.g. wheezing) that might not be so apparent through the Zoom call (and never mind if you actually need blood/urine collected)

Agreed on all these points; the other thing that bothers me is how many of the people touting these "new normal" measures try to shout down any dissenting voices.  Pretty sure that's not what democracy is supposed to be all about.  

23 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I think only mental health visits are done via Zoom or over the phone, every other medical visit is still done in person.

The hospital I go was doing therapy and psychiatrist visits over the phone at the peak of the pandemic.

I don't think videoconferencing will ever be an adequate substitute for in-person mental health sessions.  Been a lot of articles about people who have committed suicide since March because they lost their jobs, couldn't get access to the care they needed, and so on.

One of the main reasons I'm against continued lockdowns, actually.

Edited by R10 2952

37 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Always heard stories about roaches on in-service buses in the Bronx back in the day; was lucky enough to never encounter it myself.

And yeah, the southbound Bx7 been short-turning at Isham for as long as the eastbound Bx10 been short-turning at Broadway.

Agreed on all these points; the other thing that bothers me is how many of the people touting these "new normal" measures try to shout down any dissenting voices.  Pretty sure that's not what democracy is supposed to be all about.  

I don't think videoconferencing will ever be an adequate substitute for in-person mental health sessions.  Been a lot of articles about people who have committed suicide since March because they lost their jobs, couldn't get access to the care they needed, and so on.

One of the main reasons I'm against continued lockdowns, actually.

I feel like establishments like schools should be closed (high COVID transmission places), but a general lockdown? Nah, that's gonna make all of us go insane in the membrane again. Suicide is usually the first option (or at least that I can think of) that people go to when they give up in life. 

Back on but off topic, just saw 5569 in all its unwrapped glory.

2 hours ago, Infamous85 said:

Is there some sort of maintenance facility near MacArthur Airport? I always see a variety of MTA/NICE buses around there, the other day I even saw a new-ish looking WMATA New Flyer, I had to do a double-take, wish I could’ve got a pic.

Atlantic Diesel on Veterans Memorial Hwy-Ronkonkoma

8 hours ago, Calvin said:

The LFS HEV 22 has a different seating layout, on the middle left side of the bus: it's somewhat of a theater seating structure. 

That bus's apartment is on the M100, as it's only been on that line since around 6 in the morning to about midnight, and it's doing it again today.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Never expected the Quill 3800s at MTAB, let alone JFK. Losing those before the 6700s is even stranger. MTAB hasn't had lead acid NGs since the 129x demos in '07.

3802 is currently on the Q7. That one and 3806 entered service today.

33 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Looks like JFK routes will be the bus fan hotspot over the next couple of days to catch those remaining 6500s before they are scrapped. 

and with the upcoming 3800’s going to JFK. Jamaica is going to be a hot spot to fan. Most of those buses already fit with OMNY readers + screens. 

9 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

and with the upcoming 3800’s going to JFK. Jamaica is going to be a hot spot to fan. Most of those buses already fit with OMNY readers + screens. 

This potentially means that the NGs days in the Bronx are slowly coming to an end as well.

1 hour ago, NBTA said:

This potentially means that the NGs days in the Bronx are slowly coming to an end as well.

Let’s see about that. You might be right.. I feel those Bronx NG’s need to be Fresh Pond, Manhattanville bound.  

If the (MTA) can slowly scrap those 64/65/66xx OG’s from Fresh Pond and East New York. East NY received 8 buses from Ulmer Park on Wednesday. Hopefully, more XD’s pop up from UP to EN and now throw FP into the mix. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

26 minutes ago, R179 8258 said:

I understand that UP is sending Xds to phase out the OGs but what is UP getting in return ?

UP has a decent amount of XD’s so they can afford to lose some to East New York and Fresh Pond. Plus, some of those OG’s do need to go. Granted, East New York and Fresh Pond do a great job with maintenance on those buses. However, it’s age of those buses unfortunately they do need to go. 

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

UP has a decent amount of XD’s so they can afford to lose some to East New York and Fresh Pond. Plus, some of those OG’s do need to go. Granted, East New York and Fresh Pond do a great job with maintenance on those buses. However, it’s age of those buses unfortunately they do need to go. 

UP had hella extra buses after they received the XD60s for the B1. They received 28 buses so they can easily lose about 35-40 and not be short, especially with covid level ridership.