BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I took the Q5 around 10:40pm from Green Arces to Jamaica Center and out of the 15-16 people who boarded that bus I was the only one that paid the fare. Most just walked on, a few asked and then you had two guys who kept on dipping their card as if something was on it even though I believe they knew there wasn’t anything on it. A lot of people seem to do that nowadays where they will dip an empty card and pretend to be shocked to make it seem as if there was something on it to I guess as a way for the driver to feel sorry and let them on. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I took the Q5 around 10:40pm from Green Arces to Jamaica Center and out of the 15-16 people who boarded that bus I was the only one that paid the fare. Most just walked on, a few asked and then you had two guys who kept on dipping their card as if something was on it even though I believe they knew there wasn’t anything on it. A lot of people seem to do that nowadays where they will dip an empty card and pretend to be shocked to make it seem as if there was something on it to I guess as a way for the driver to feel sorry and let them on. 

And I hate that. Just walk on so we can keep it going. 

The people who walk on, sit down to "find their card", come back and dip a card with 0.75 on it ... wasting time and risking an incident 

10 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

The people who walk on, sit down to "find their card", come back and dip a card with 0.75 on it ... wasting time and risking an incident 

What will be the excuse once MetroCards are decommissioned? 

44 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

That they don't know how to tap. I've seen it already. People get on with a credit card that has the chip in it and they try to tap with it. lol A card with a chip is NOT the same thing as a contactless card. People are so dense.

15 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

I am honestly still shocked that out of the all the 16 people who boarded that Q5 towards Jamaica last night, I was the only one who paid during that entire Q5 run. So it makes me wonder what a typical night looks like because that too many people in general not paying. 

4 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Simple, “my card doesn’t work”, or “my card got stolen” and bunch of other sorry excuses. 

2 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

Can someone tell me if this bus needs to be out of service? I took this pic on the M103 on bus #5820.

20230308_142601.jpg

I wonder what that opening is for? 

On 3/3/2023 at 7:10 AM, Lawrence St said:

Reading over some of the notes from the Bronx redesign, it seems a lot of people were asking for a bus route along Bronxwood Road, but the same amount of people wanting to keep service on White Plains Road for the BxM5/BxM11.

Which report and which page?

On 3/6/2023 at 10:37 PM, JAzumah said:

Convenience. It takes 6-7 minutes to/from the platform (total) plus an average wait time of 4 minutes for the subway versus an average wait time of 6 minutes for the B25. If the average bus ride is 2 miles, it would take the B25 16 minutes to cover that distance. The subway would take 6 minutes to cover that distance. The time to the platform plus the wait time makes the travel times between the two similar.

3 minutes down and 3 minutes up? Maybe Broadway Junction, but not at the Fulton Street local stops. 

What's the deal with destination signs, especially the front ones, that blink on and off constantly? And I mean totally turn off, then back on again, over and over, rather than just staying on. Is this a glitch or a setting? It's incredibly annoying, and I've seen it across different types/models of destination signs, including brand new ones on Prevosts

4 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What's the deal with destination signs, especially the front ones, that blink on and off constantly? And I mean totally turn off, then back on again, over and over, rather than just staying on. Is this a glitch or a setting? It's incredibly annoying, and I've seen it across different types/models of destination signs, including brand new ones on Prevosts

This has been an issue on the SBS buses for some years now. Once full cycle of readouts, black, then cycle again. I heard once it was an issue with B/Os putting the codes in via the farebox, but it seems like a more widespread programming problem. Makes you miss the flipdots.

Just now, MHV9218 said:

This has been an issue on the SBS buses for some years now. Once full cycle of readouts, black, then cycle again. I heard once it was an issue with B/Os putting the codes in via the farebox, but it seems like a more widespread programming problem. Makes you miss the flipdots.

Ha! I think I remember some older flip dots that would sort of do the same thing, with it going blank from one side to the other and then re-appearing

On 3/10/2023 at 6:11 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

On 3/10/2023 at 6:17 PM, MHV9218 said:

On 3/10/2023 at 6:18 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

Ha! I think I remember some older flip dots that would sort of do the same thing, with it going blank from one side to the other and then re-appearing

Joke's on me, because I always thought that they were purposely programmed to do that shit...

In terms of the Prevosts, I think the QM5 was accidentally programmed to do that. That's the only sign I've seen that actually blinks off and back again.

As for the SBS buses, I could've sworn they were programmed to blink as a replacement for the lights being shut off, because the LaGuardia Link buses are programmed similarly.

Edited by Cait Sith

11 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

In terms of the Prevosts, I think the QM5 was accidentally programmed to do that. That's the only sign I've seen that actually blinks off and back again.

As for the SBS buses, I could've sworn they were programmed to blink as a replacement for the lights being shut off, because the LaGuardia Link buses are programmed similarly.

Ahh, well that would explain why I keep seeing it on the QM5 lol. As I think about it, I only see it blink on the Queens-bound QM5, not manhattan-bound.  Now I'm going to pay more attention to it

33 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The cops are under assault in this City, so good luck with anyone else getting justice for being assaulted.

That is also why nobody cares to enforce the fare. It is a free for all in the city, that is why I want to leave when I get the chance. 

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

And there are some people that will argue that we need LESS cops.

...until they, themselves need them.

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The cops are under assault in this City, so good luck with anyone else getting justice for being assaulted.

That, and the assailants get smacks on their asses & let right the f*** back out when they do get caught.... These f***'s even brag about it when they get detained, or otherwise carted off in 'cuffs....

8 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Funny how it's advertised assaulting an employee is punishable by up to 7 years but almost every incident like this one rarely anybody gets caught

Yeah... Straight up sucker shit to assault a defenseless person & gtf out of dodge after the fact...

Had some spare time on my hands today, during the afternoon: I rode the Q42 (Queens) from Jamaica Center up to 111 Av and 174 St (few blocks and you're close to Merrick Blvd). There wasn't that many people on-board but most but a few seats were taken. Not a standee on-board. Compared to the B42 in Brooklyn, during the noontime (last 2 weeks), there's seats filled with a few standees going to Rockaway Parkway (L) .  

Edited by Calvin

I've got a funny question...as context, there's a real a**hole B/O on the QM35 I get frequently, who blocks seats with his belongings and argues with anyone who tries to sit there because "I don't want nobody sitting there". I've filed multiple complaints about him, @Via Garibaldi 8 is aware of this issue, etc.

This B/Os other trick is that he always moves up one of the wheelchair seats so it is not usable (and trust me, he is not getting a wheelchair rider in the same position every single day of the week, he is doing this to reduce ridership on his bus). He always has one of the new Prevosts, so I was wondering if there is a way to move the seat back into position easily? I'm tempted to just do it myself the next time I get on his bus and it is packed.

I've never seen the wheelchair system be used on the new Prevost, so I can't tell how to move the seat on the track, but it must be moveable so B/O's can put in wheelchairs.

So I don’t know how long it’s going to be there or why it’s there (film shoot if I had to guess)… 

but there is an Orion 1 parked on Meeker Avenue just south of Union Street, across from Lorimer/Metropolitan station.

it’s just labeled “transit authority” on the outside and is signed “5 Dorchester”

For those keeping track of the new shuttle designations, there is a J90 (J shuttle from Crescent to Jamaica-Van Wyck) now trackable on BusTime, now joining the J99, L90, L92, and Q93.

3 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

So I don’t know how long it’s going to be there or why it’s there (film shoot if I had to guess)… 

but there is an Orion 1 parked on Meeker Avenue just south of Union Street, across from Lorimer/Metropolitan station.

it’s just labeled “transit authority” on the outside and is signed “5 Dorchester”

That's an Orion V (05.503) that used to run for DASH in Alexandria, VA. I spotted it back in January. Sounds like it hasn't moved an inch.

52644022115_aba573241b_c.jpgIMG_6642 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

Just now, GojiMet86 said:

For those keeping track of the new shuttle designations, there is a J90 (J shuttle from Crescent to Jamaica-Van Wyck) now trackable on BusTime, now joining the J99, L90, L92, and Q93.

That's an Orion V (05.503) that used to run for DASH in Alexandria, VA. I spotted it back in January. Sounds like it hasn't moved an inch.

52644022115_aba573241b_c.jpgIMG_6642 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

The J90 has been online since October last year, with it being what the J99 was when (J) service was cut from Jamaica Center in the summer.