BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

It was never a depot, just a lot to hold scrapped buses. It was located on Atlantic & Carlton next to the LIRR tracks and was removed for the construction of Barclays Center. The whole area was an open pit and one was able to look down from Atlantic Av and see all the buses parked there.

You know, one would think that at least a route or two would be able to be maintained there before Grand Avenue opened up with the way Brooklyn was back then.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, one would think that at least a route or two would be able to be maintained there before Grand Avenue opened up with the way Brooklyn was back then.

There was no shop building there.It was nothing but a big lot with no buildings and a long ramp to get down there.

Are Q44 tickets allowed on the Q20A/B or not?

Some drivers don't mind, some force you to dip your MetroCard. It's been a month already, what's with all this inconsistency? 

I've heard in the past on the Bx12 and M15 SBS you could ride the local with an SBS ticket, but (at least on the 12) A lot of drivers I've seen would rather have people dip even if they have to give paper transfers for people that used up their Metrocard transfer on the local. It's very inconsistent indeed.

Honestly these bus driver should not be doing that, but there should also be a variant that does go via the "shortcut" cause  riders  from the east a discouraged by the big roundabout the bus makes on its way to the williamsburg plaza 

I disagree. The Q59's headway is 15 minutes at that time, making them taking Borinquen would make each leg every 30 minutes. Furthermore, those who want to take the shortcut can take the Q54, which more or less utilizes that routing already. That portion doesn't need no extra service.

Many of the people who probably complain about that routing are most likely Brooklyn riders themselves. Again, those riders can use the Q54. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

I've heard in the past on the Bx12 and M15 SBS you could ride the local with an SBS ticket, but (at least on the 12) A lot of drivers I've seen would rather have people dip even if they have to give paper transfers for people that used up their Metrocard transfer on the local. It's very inconsistent indeed.

Thats dumb because what if you already used a transfer to get the SBS ticket? Then you would have to pay for another ride by dipping 

I disagree. The Q59's headway is 15 minutes at that time, making them taking Borinquen would make each leg every 30 minutes. Furthermore, those who want to take the shortcut can take the Q54, which more or less utilizes that routing already. That portion doesn't need no extra service.

Many of the people who probably complain about that routing are most likely Brooklyn riders themselves. Again, those riders can use the Q54. 

oh I'm not too familiar with that area I didn't realize the Q54 take the shortcut route 

Operator has it in a lower gear instead of the bus going through all 6 gears

They do that to keep the bus from jerking, or in the snow to keep the bus from loosing traction. You are only suppose to do that if you are maintaining low speeds. otherwise, its a good way to burn up the clutch packs in the transmission.

They do that to keep the bus from jerking, or in the snow to keep the bus from loosing traction. You are only suppose to do that if you are maintaining low speeds. otherwise, its a good way to burn up the clutch packs in the transmission.

There's this operator I know on the B35 that always leaves the bus in 4 no matter the weather outside. Always ends up maxing out in 4 and just driving like that.

The MTA job is to get passengers to their destination safely and time takes a backseat. They would never tell an operator to drive faster because someone write in to complain about the operator speed. They will put an undercover on the bus and so long as the operator does what he/she is suppose to then nothing will happen.

So I'm on the Q55 now and I find it funny how they rerouted the B26/Q58 to lessen the turn through the Myrtle/Wyckoff/Palmetto intersection, but the Q55 sill kept its backhand left turn from Palmetto onto Myrtle.

Still a lot more dangerous than the right turn the B26/Q58 used to make from Wyckoff onto Palmetto, but I digress...

Some Bx5 drivers still skip the Bx23/Q50 stop (with people waiting) and go over to the Bx12 local stop (which was supposed to be the original Bx5 stop, which was never marked, but still has the Bx5 bus schedule there). And people do wait for the Bx5 there, and get skipped, almost like they want people to pack on to the Bx12 SBS (which can be overcrowded and the only other bus that isn't running 30 minute headways at the time).