BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think so. I feel too many routes pass through and/or terminate there already.

I don't think that should be a reason for not having the split there. The "M55" would not benefit people riding the bus north of 37 Street. A split at COlumbus Circle would be more ideal since there aren't as many people continuing on to points north. At Columbus Circle, some going north has the option to take the M104 too, since they operate somewhat close to each other.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

I don't think so. I feel too many routes pass through and/or terminate there already.

Not that I want this split of the M5 to take place necessarily, but I'd favor this "M55" terminating at/around CC over the M12....

The only reason I'd bother showing up would be to insist that they call it the M6...

I would like to hear, with open ears, a serious argument from someone at those meetings stating that the route is a good idea, but that they have an issue with the route number.....

I would legit start laughing out loud......

Edited by B35 via Church

Two things I'm noticing with SBS service at least in Brooklyn.

1) The trips are a bit slower. Hence the speed limit.

2) If there's a dedicated bus lane for these buses. Should the speed limit be at least 40. This vision zero thing is so nonsense. The speed limit needs to be increased. (IJS). Riding on a slow 5336 from FB. via SBS44+.

Q44 today had two XD40's just I predicted it gonna be a regular sight because the Q44 never really ran 100% artic even though CS always has spare artics in the depo  

The March 2016 Brooklyn Bus Maps are out!

Among other things the Q10 (!?) is shown on the back panel and the SBS buses have a new icon on the main map.

just checked the Queens map idk how I feel about the icons but they still haven't fixed the M98 on the queens map 

Edited by IAlam

The bus maps are only going to get more & more cluttered as time progresses.....

My only suggestion for that is to stretch the "base" map/barebone map (while locking the aspect ratio, of course) so that the square route # icons aren't so close to other routes' square route # icons.... Basically, the distance b/w streets would increase, with what I'm suggesting.... Of course, that's going to mean shifting all the lines & icons in their appropriate locations on the newly stretched base map, which I admit is no easy task......

-----

side note: nitpicking for a second...

What's with all the "red" in the flushing area (Queens map); The Q12, 17, 27, 16, 13, 28, and now the 20a/b?

- I get why the Q20a/b is red now (with the 44 being SBS'd, which is blue by default), don't have a problem with the 17 or the 28 being so, but all the other aforementioned routes I would change....

- Once upon a time, the Q16 was purple & the Q13 was blue.... That should be reverted - which would not clash with any other route in the NE sector of the borough.... Hell, there is absolutely nothing in the flushing area that's purple anyway....

- The Q27 also used to be purple.... I think that was lifted so it wouldn't clash w/ the 84 down in Cambria Heights (which has been purple for the longest).... My suggestion is to put the 27 back purple & make the 2 red, and the 84 (lime) green....

So with that colorization idea, you'd have the Q12, 17, 20a/b, and 28 red, the 16 & 27 back purple, and the 13 back blue....

The bus maps are only going to get more & more cluttered as time progresses.....

My only suggestion for that is to stretch the "base" map/barebone map (while locking the aspect ratio, of course) so that the square route # icons aren't so close to other routes' square route # icons.... Basically, the distance b/w streets would increase, with what I'm suggesting.... Of course, that's going to mean shifting all the lines & icons in their appropriate locations on the newly stretched base map, which I admit is no easy task......

-----

side note: nitpicking for a second...

What's with all the "red" in the flushing area (Queens map); The Q12, 17, 27, 16, 13, 28, and now the 20a/b?

- I get why the Q20a/b is red now (with the 44 being SBS'd, which is blue by default), don't have a problem with the 17 or the 28 being so, but all the other aforementioned routes I would change....

- Once upon a time, the Q16 was purple & the Q13 was blue.... That should be reverted - which would not clash with any other route in the NE sector of the borough.... Hell, there is absolutely nothing in the flushing area that's purple anyway....

- The Q27 also used to be purple.... I think that was lifted so it wouldn't clash w/ the 84 down in Cambria Heights (which has been purple for the longest).... My suggestion is to put the 27 back purple & make the 2 red, and the 84 (lime) green....

So with that colorization idea, you'd have the Q12, 17, 20a/b, and 28 red, the 16 & 27 back purple, and the 13 back blue....

Remember when they were color coded by private company originally, then by shape?

Remember when they were color coded by private company originally, then by shape?

LMAO @ the different shapes....

What was it, the elongated oval, the circle, the diamond, and there was another one, think it was a triangle....

(don't remember which shape represented which PBL though).....

LMAO @ the different shapes....

What was it, the elongated oval, the circle, the diamond, and there was another one, think it was a triangle....

(don't remember which shape represented which PBL though).....

Oval-Triboro

Circle-Queens Surface

Diamond-Green

Triangle-Jamaica (the current BP routes)

Going out today, I noticed the XD60s on the Bx12 SBS read: Bx12 +Select Bus instead of the old SBS program that it used to have. Didn't get a pic but I'll try to catch again one of these days.

Also, does anyone have any particular spots or areas that they like to fan? I've been looking for other places to fan besides the ones I usually go to lol

Edited by LegoBrickBreaker101

Going out today, I noticed the XD60s on the Bx12 SBS read: Bx12 +Select Bus instead of the old SBS program that it used to have. Didn't get a pic but I'll try to catch again one of these days.

Also, does anyone have any particular spots or areas that they like to fan? I've been looking for other places to fan besides the ones I usually go to lol

Bronx- Fordham Plaza, Pelham Parkway/WPR, Bay Plaza (best on a Saturday afternoon/evening)

Manhattan- 86th Street on the East Side. I particularly like stopping at the Papaya King on 3rd Ave for a bite to eat which puts me in that area on occasion. I am insensitive to this area given my four years as a Baruch student but around Madison Square Park there's a decent array of express and local buses to check out.

Queens- Flushing is boring to me as a neighborhood but every now and then I take the <7> to the Q50 as an alternative out of Manhattan so I end up there fanning sometimes.

Brooklyn- Haven't fanned anywhere outside of downtown although there are a few spots that someone like me would appreciate for example around the Brooklyn College station, and Ridgewood Terminal to name a couple.

Staten Island- No go zone for me. Given I live in the North Bronx there's not enough bus action down there for me to make trips to Staten Island.

It has the newest codes in it. All buses with the most recent code updates now say +SELECT BUS, and will be blue if the bus has the proper sign.

Speaking of new codes, I think the Bx41 has the latest codes as well, with the blue background at all times. I have great eyesight, but I was at Lincoln Hospital, and I saw the Bx41 front signage for like almost half a minute turning at Cortlandt Av, and all I saw was a few orange lines switching constantly with the background not disappearing. Don't take my word just yet. I'll go by the hub monday morning to confirm the new codes.

Speaking of new codes, I think the Bx41 has the latest codes as well, with the blue background at all times. I have great eyesight, but I was at Lincoln Hospital, and I saw the Bx41 front signage for like almost half a minute turning at Cortlandt Av, and all I saw was a few orange lines switching constantly with the background not disappearing. Don't take my word just yet. I'll go by the hub monday morning to confirm the new codes.

So does the B44 with the new background. Spotted a few buses today. Not really a fan of the blue background.