BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still feels weird seeing LGA running the Q53, despite that it was only a few years that CP operated the route.

Yeah I agree I was like wait a minute isnt there suppose to be C40LF's on this line. But I have that same feeling with the Q23 jus unusual seeing C40LF's on that line. The Q53 is pretty much the only big major route LGA has. I wonder why CP back in 2013 got the Q53 instead of the Q23 in the first place.

And does anyone know if the Q64 will permanently stay at Baisley Park or is it set to return to CP in the future? And speaking of Q64 I though BP was doing something right when they threw a couple of XD60's on the Q64 in the morning rush last year but they don't even touch the route at all anymore even though it could use them.

On Wednesday, coming home from my friend's house, I took the BxM4 and then transferred to the subway. The trip only took just over an hour and a half.

From where to where?  The BxM4 is pretty good off hours once you get on.  I used it last Sunday and it was great.  Quick ride from the Upper East Side to the Bronx.

I boarded at Grand Concourse and Fordham Rd and rode to 34th and 5th. It was a comfortable ride.

And worth it since it doesn't make many stops after that on weekends.  The two big ones usually are 165th and 158th and Grand Concourse, and those really only see heavy usage in the summer time if people go shopping or whatever or during rush hour, otherwise, usually just a few people board.

The express bus and Metro-North look more and more attractive with every year that passes...

Sometimes I think the (MTA) tanks the local buses on purpose to extort more money from the riders that switch to the express bus and the commuter trains.

I'm telling you, that's the way I get around these days.  I had to go to the South Bronx last weekend.  I stayed in the city, so I just went over to Madison for the BxM4.  Took that in and got a Metro-North train back.  Very smooth commute to and from.  Not only that, but a lot of riders use the express bus and Metro-North because the subways have such shady people on them.  Druggies begging for money.  You see that on the (2)(5) line a lot.  It's bad enough that the subways run like crap on weekends in the Bronx, and then to put up with that too?  Forget it.

The (1) line is probably the safest, but that only goes into the Bronx briefly stopping right before Riverdale starts.

The express bus and Metro-North look more and more attractive with every year that passes...

Sometimes I think the (MTA) tanks the local buses on purpose to extort more money from the riders that switch to the express bus and the commuter trains.

Its the opposite in Queens Horrible LIRR service + horrible express bus service. But hey even though that local bus is super crowded it running a lot more frequently.

Its the opposite in Queens Horrible LIRR service + horrible express bus service. But hey even though that local bus is super crowded it running a lot more frequently.

It depends where you reside. Some express bus routes are more reliant than others, and some routes are more delayed than others, for multiple reason. Obviously, certain areas have a significant portion of express bus service in Queens.

The Sandy work in the tunnel on weekends now makes the system go to absolute shit (mainly inbound). 

It depends where you reside. Some express bus routes are more reliant than others, and some routes are more delayed than others, for multiple reason. Obviously, certain areas have a significant portion of express bus service in Queens.

The Sandy work in the tunnel on weekends now makes the system go to absolute shit (mainly inbound).

My shopping trips to Whitestone have definitely curtailed... Used the BxM2 to the Upper East and the BxM1 back. Was pretty reliable, but I already bought my monthly for Metro-North for February. lol

My shopping trips to Whitestone have definitely curtailed... Used the BxM2 to the Upper East and the BxM1 back. Was pretty reliable, but I already bought my monthly for Metro-North for February. lol

I haven't been using the express bus for that reason. The last time I used the express bus on a Saturday was during the Thanksgiving weekend, because tunnel work was cancelled on both days.

Does anybody know when they rerouted the Q40 around its southern terminal? I remember at one point, southbound buses ran down 140th Street to 135th Avenue. Now I'm guessing they take 135th-142nd-North Conduit-140th-135th to loop around. 

I believe it was in 2011 or 2012 when the routing changed. I know it was sometime before the Q52 started running.

EDIT: It was in January of 2012

http://web.archive.org/web/20120316212155/http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/servChanges_Q40.htm

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

Does anybody know when they rerouted the Q40 around its southern terminal? I remember at one point, southbound buses ran down 140th Street to 135th Avenue. Now I'm guessing they take 135th-142nd-North Conduit-140th-135th to loop around. 

IDK what the official/posted scenario they have to follow even is, because I've seen buses do both:

- hang a left from the last dropoff stop (to do exactly what you said)...

- hang a right from the last dropoff stop, to do Inwood - Conduit to sleep layover, then do 140th - 135th to get to the first pickup stop....

I'm guessing it's a matter of how early/late buses are, to which scenario they do....

I'm curious can Manhattanville handle RTS's? Also are any of the drivers at Manhattanville trained to drive a CNG bus?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Any depot can handle RTSes, and drivers trained for O7 hybrids can drive O7 CNGs. C40LFs drivers are not qualified for, and more importantlt the depot doesn't have the tanks for those buses to be fueled.