BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Glad to know that I am not the only impulsive commuter in the world. I have a habit to getting off trains or buses for a "quicker" commute, only to have Satan take over and make me regret choices I've made. I guess it's the Aries in me.

Lol... Scorp' here, and I don't embark buses/trains necessarily for a quicker commute, going home.... I never cared for commuting using the same exact modes 5 days a week (this is one of the few things I hated about going to high school).... Some days I drive to/from work, some days I take the LIRR going & the LIRR (to Jamaica or to ENY), and then some combination of buses/subways to get back to Brooklyn... Multitude of ways....

Hell, if NICE bus wasn't what it was, I would consider an all bus commute to get from Mineola to E. Flatbush; which for me would be the B12 to the Q24/56 (whatever comes first), to the n22/24 inside 165th bus terminal....

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carrying over from the M5/M55 thread, I've decided to create a list of B/O relief points regarding B35's post. Most of these are based off my own observations. If these are incorrect, feel free to fix them.

Staten Island

1.Castleton & Jewett Aves

Routes: S46/S96, S53, S66

2. Arthur Kill Road, right outside the depot. There's even a bus stop there too... Not sure if this is an official one.

Routes: S74

3.Yukon Avenue

Outside the depot

Routes: S44, S59, S61 (The S79 used to do it as well pre-SBS)

Manhattan:

1. Broadway & 135th

Routes: M4, M5, M11

2. 11 Av & 42nd

Routes: M12

3. 8 Av & 42nd

Routes: M20

4. 100 St @ Lex and 3rd Aves

Routes: M101, M102, M103

5. Hale (This one is a complete assumption)

Outside the depot

Routes: M1, M7

6. 6 Avenue and 31 St

Routes: M55

7. St. Nicholas and 125th St

Routes: M3 (Could be wrong on that one or possibly mixing it up with the M2)

Brooklyn

1. Fresh Pond Road, right outside the depot

Routes: B20(?), Q58

2. Utica & Filmore Aves

Routes: B46

3. Ocean Ave & Avenue U

Routes: B49

4. 25 and Harway Aves:

Routes: B3, B6, B64

5. 3rd Ave and 39 St

Routes: B37

6. 5th Ave and 39 St

Routes: B35, B63, B70

7. Jamaica and Georgia Aves:

Routes: B83, Q24, Q56

8. Grand Avenue, outside the depot

Routes: Q59

Queens

I don't really know much except for:

Main St and 39 Av

Routes: Q20, Q44

The Bronx

1. Broadway and 215th (Yes, I know, technically in Manhattan, but I'm going by division)

Routes: Bx7, M100

2. Broadway and 225th

Routes: Bx9

3. Boston Rd and Tremont Ave:

Routes: Bx21, Bx36

4. Southern Blvd and Tremont Ave(?)

Routes: Bx19 (I remember riding the route and know for a fact that it was at that location)

5. Westchester Square

Routes: Bx40/Bx42

6. Grand Concourse and 192nd

Routes: Bx1/Bx2

Edited by S78 via Hylan

The B8 does reliefs at the Stop where it connects to the (D) train. 18th Ave/86th Street?

B82 does reliefs at Rockaway Parkway (L) station

B41 does reliefs the last stop before the Bergen Beach & Kings Plaza routes split.

B44 does reliefs at Flatbush Junction

B2 does reliefs at the stop before it makes a right on Flatbush

Q6 does reliefs right outside JFK Depot

Q22 does reliefs right outside FR Depot

Q111/113 does reliefs outside BP Depot

BX12 SBS does reliefs at Pelham Bay Park (6) station.

Edited by trainfan22

Hell, if NICE bus wasn't what it was, I would consider an all bus commute to get from Mineola to E. Flatbush; which for me would be the B12 to the Q24/56 (whatever comes first), to the n22/24 inside 165th bus terminal....

Even if NICE bus made connections reliably, this easily sounds like a two-hour-plus commute.

Even if NICE bus made connections reliably, this easily sounds like a two-hour-plus commute.

Hmm...

Well, I have taken the 3:58am B12 (from Albany/Clarkson) to the 4:18am Q24 (from Jamaica/Alabama).... That trip on the Q24 gets to JAM around a quarter to 5.... I usually kill time by going to the corner store (ignoring requests for "TAXI, TAXI"..... in the process), and circling a couple blocks in the general area before getting on that 1st EB train to Huntington... It's a train that waits for a connection to a Babylon train @ 5:16, then leaves JAM & gets to Mineola at 5:33.... This is what I do sometimes when I have to get in early (for 6am)....

I'm looking at the n22 schedule, and if I were to stay on that same Q24 in question all the way to the end (168th), I'd have to power walk to 165th bus terminal to catch that first 5am run, which gets to Mineola at 5:38......

Not quite 2 hours....

---------

However, if I need to get in my normal time (7am), forget it.... I don't even have to look at the n22 schedule to figure out it'd be two hours, because I know the B12 gets at least 10 mins slower (more passenger activity), and the Q24, forget it - that shit's going to stop at damn near every stop, the deeper you get into the AM rush.... It would be an hour from Alabama (J) to the LIRR Jamaica easy....

Carrying over from the M5/M55 thread, I've decided to create a list of B/O relief points regarding B35's post. Most of these are based off my own observations. If these are incorrect, feel free to fix them.

Staten Island

2. Arthur Kill Road, right outside the depot. There's even a bus stop there too... Not sure if this is an official one.

Routes: S74

3.Yukon Avenue

Outside the depot

Routes: S44, S59, S61 (The S79 used to do it as well pre-SBS)

Manhattan:

1. Broadway & 135th

Routes: M4, M5, M11

2. 11 Av & 42nd

Routes: M12

3. 8 Av & 42nd

Routes: M20

4. 100 St @ Lex and 3rd Aves

Routes: M101, M102, M103

5. Hale (This one is a complete assumption)

Outside the depot

Routes: M1, M7

6. 6 Avenue and 31 St

Routes: M55

7. St. Nicholas and 125th St

Routes: M3 (Could be wrong on that one or possibly mixing it up with the M2)

Brooklyn

1. Fresh Pond Road, right outside the depot

Routes: B20(?), Q58

2. Utica & Filmore Aves

Routes: B46

3. Ocean Ave & Avenue U

Routes: B49

4. 25 and Harway Aves:

Routes: B3, B6, B64

5. 3rd Ave and 39 St

Routes: B37

6. 5th Ave and 39 St

Routes: B35, B63, B70

7. Jamaica and Georgia Aves:

Routes: B83, Q24, Q56

8. Grand Avenue, outside the depot

Routes: Q59

Queens

I don't really know much except for:

Main St and 39 Av

Routes: Q20, Q44

The Bronx

1. Broadway and 215th (Yes, I know, technically in Manhattan, but I'm going by division)

Routes: Bx7, M100

2. Broadway and 225th

Routes: Bx9

3. Boston Rd and Tremont Ave:

Routes: Bx21, Bx36

4. Southern Blvd and Tremont Ave(?)

Routes: Bx19 (I remember riding the route and know for a fact that it was at that location)

5. Westchester Square

Routes: Bx40/Bx42

6. Grand Concourse and 192nd

Routes: Bx1/Bx2

Don't forget Westchester Square for the 40/42 westbound and Concourse and 192nd for the Bx1/2 southbound!

The B8 does reliefs at the Stop where it connects to the (D) train. 18th Ave/86th Street?

B82 does reliefs at Rockaway Parkway (L) station

B41 does reliefs the last stop before the Bergen Beach & Kings Plaza routes split.

B44 does reliefs at Flatbush Junction

B2 does reliefs at the stop before it makes a right on Flatbush

Q6 does reliefs right outside JFK Depot

Q22 does reliefs right outside FR Depot

Q111/113 does reliefs outside BP Depot

BX12 SBS does reliefs at Pelham Bay Park (6) station.

Add 3rd Avenue and Bay Ridge Avenue for the B9.

Q4/5/84/85 Merrick and Liberty

Maybe?: Q1/27/36/88 Queens Village LIRR

What happen to the MTA's plans to convert hybrids into diesel? Is it still happening or what's the news?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

No

Anyways I found this on page 15

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/170123_1345_CPOC.pdf

MTA_zpsmpkpqncz.png

Also There was some other interesting stuff about new windows and new Driver side design for Nova buses.

Edited by IAlam

Don't forget Westchester Square for the 40/42 westbound and Concourse and 192nd for the Bx1/2 southbound!

That Bx1/Bx2 relief takes *forever*. Whenever I take the Bx1/Bx2 towards Fordham I usually get off at 192nd anyway because of the traffic between that point and Fordham Road, but when there's a driver change involved I beat the bus to Fordham by about 5 minutes.

One time I was on a local Bx2 that actually caught up to a Limited Bx1 that was doing a driver change. I get off at 192nd and walk to Fordham, and I get there virtually tied with the Bx2 (the Bx2 had actually passed the Bx1 at this point) and the Bx1 got to Fordham about 2 minutes later.

I. Relief points

A. B68: Church and Coney Island Eaves

B. B35: 5Av and 39St. I think that the B63 and B70 does relies here as well

C. B42: Rockaway Parkway Station

The side street that the B43 runs from Graham to Tompkins Aves is Debevoise Street....

Staten Island

I would assume the X10/14 have some reliefs there, since they terminate there (some runs have a SI-bound trip on the X14 and then a Manhattan-bound trip on the X10. I saw one where I was checking BusTime, and it showed an X14 a few stops away, and then I checked the Manhattan-bound stop and saw that it said something like "X10: East Midtown/57th Street, 3 stops away + scheduled layover at terminal")

Anyway, I've seen S46 & S53 B/Os get relieved there in both directions. Have you ever personally seen the S66 or S96 get relieved there?

I would assume the X10/14 have some reliefs there, since they terminate there (some runs have a SI-bound trip on the X14 and then a Manhattan-bound trip on the X10. I saw one where I was checking BusTime, and it showed an X14 a few stops away, and then I checked the Manhattan-bound stop and saw that it said something like "X10: East Midtown/57th Street, 3 stops away + scheduled layover at terminal")

Anyway, I've seen S46 & S53 B/Os get relieved there in both directions. Have you ever personally seen the S66 or S96 get relieved there?

There's no reliefs on the X10 or X14, (or any express) it's straight pull out and pull in.

The S66, yes I have seen reliefs.