BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

A broken handle is the least of their worries...they won't take a bus out of service over a broken handle.

They are "suppose" too. A couple years ago, when the 1200's were about a year old, a woman fell on her face after reaching for a rear stanchion that happened to break as she put her weight on it. She sued the MTA, and in turn, the MTA sued nova. From then on, broken or loose stanchions became what we call a "red item" on the monthly inspections (meaning, the bus can't return to service until the repair is made).

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know when they started banning trucks on weekends on the Queens Midtown Tunnel, but that does make for traffic to flow easier on the approach. However, there is still a problem with the amount of delays on the QM's. On Saturday, traffic flows fine until about 12 PM or something, and then there's delays up until 10 PM at night. Late afternoon and nights on Sunday, there's bumper-to-bumper traffic going into the tunnel. The QM2, QM4, QM5, and QM6 are not experiencing much of any delay, for now.

Given how the inbound direction sees a lot more traffic than the outbound, perhaps the tunnel should be inbound only at certain parts of the day on Saturdays and Sundays (and then during those time, have one of the levels on the QB bridge entirely for outbound traffic. Or perhaps road ops can divert inbound buses across the Queensboro after a certain hour on Saturdays and Sundays. They're currently using 1 extra bus every 2 hours on each of the lines in order to have reliable outbound service. This doesn't take into account inbound service, which is still moderate or fairly decent in the afternoon. I doubt that's the case anymore, as there's likely a huge imbalance between inbound and outbound ridership. 

I don't know when they started banning trucks on weekends on the Queens Midtown Tunnel, but that does make for traffic to flow easier on the approach. However, there is still a problem with the amount of delays on the QM's. On Saturday, traffic flows fine until about 12 PM or something, and then there's delays up until 10 PM at night. Late afternoon and nights on Sunday, there's bumper-to-bumper traffic going into the tunnel. The QM2, QM4, QM5, and QM6 are not experiencing much of any delay, for now.

Given how the inbound direction sees a lot more traffic than the outbound, perhaps the tunnel should be inbound only at certain parts of the day on Saturdays and Sundays (and then during those time, have one of the levels on the QB bridge entirely for outbound traffic. Or perhaps road ops can divert inbound buses across the Queensboro after a certain hour on Saturdays and Sundays. They're currently using 1 extra bus every 2 hours on each of the lines in order to have reliable outbound service. This doesn't take into account inbound service, which is still moderate or fairly decent in the afternoon. I doubt that's the case anymore, as there's likely a huge imbalance between inbound and outbound ridership. 

I don't know if they can really do anything to improve the situation to be honest.  When I used to take the QM15 into the Middle VIllage/Glendale/Woodhaven area on the weekends, there were a few mornings when my bus was stuck on 57th street getting into the tunnel bridge.  There's just a ton of traffic.  The QM2 on the other hand usually isn't that bad on weekends outbound unless it's during the holidays.   Same deal with the QM5 and QM6 when I've used it.  The inbound however can be hit or miss.  The QM2 drivers usually take other roads to get into the city and they fly and make good time.  I also don't see ridership tanking really inbound on any of those buses.  People will still go to the city that need to and will take the express bus. I don't see those folks up in Beechhurst and Bay Terrace taking the subway.  If anything they would drive and take the LIRR in.  

In any event, the DOT made numerous changes along 57th street to improve traffic flow leading into the tunnel.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I don't know if they can really do anything to improve the situation to be honest. When I used to take the QM15 into the Middle VIllage/Glendale/Woodhaven area on the weekends, there were a few mornings when my bus was stuck on 57th street getting into the tunnel. There's just a ton of traffic. The QM2 on the other hand usually isn't that bad on weekends outbound unless it's during the holidays. Same deal with the QM5 and QM6 when I've used it. The inbound however can be hit or miss. The QM2 drivers usually take other roads to get into the city and they fly and make good time. I also don't see ridership tanking really inbound on any of those buses. People will still go to the city that need to and will take the express bus. I don't see those folks up in Beechhurst and Bay Terrace taking the subway. If anything they would drive and take the LIRR in.

In any event, the DOT made numerous changes along 57th street to improve traffic flow leading into the tunnel.

You mean 37th street.

57th street is approach to Queensborough Bridge.

I don't know if they can really do anything to improve the situation to be honest.  When I used to take the QM15 into the Middle VIllage/Glendale/Woodhaven area on the weekends, there were a few mornings when my bus was stuck on 57th street getting into the tunnel bridge.  There's just a ton of traffic.  The QM2 on the other hand usually isn't that bad on weekends outbound unless it's during the holidays.   Same deal with the QM5 and QM6 when I've used it.  The inbound however can be hit or miss.  The QM2 drivers usually take other roads to get into the city and they fly and make good time.  I also don't see ridership tanking really inbound on any of those buses.  People will still go to the city that need to and will take the express bus. I don't see those folks up in Beechhurst and Bay Terrace taking the subway.  If anything they would drive and take the LIRR in.  

Perhaps those on the QM2, QM5 & QM6 still use the inbound buses, but I see this happening on the QM4 and QM15. Some people already take the bus outbound only on the QM15 (there's a few people who I know that take it going back home only, and take the Q11 to the (R) going into Manhattan). Unlike 71st Avenue, Woodhaven Boulevard has the (R) , so I guess for those on Woodhaven, it's pick your poision. At least if one takes the local bus to the subway on Jewel Avenue, they can take the (E) or (F) , which are more reliable and frequent than the (R) .

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

Perhaps those on the QM2, QM5 & QM6 still use the inbound buses, but I see this happening on the QM4 and QM15. Some people already take the bus outbound only on the QM15 (there's a few people who I know that take it going back home only, and take the Q11 to the (R) going into Manhattan). Unlike 71st Avenue, Woodhaven Boulevard has the (R) , so I guess for those on Woodhaven, it's pick your poision. At least if one takes the local bus to the subway on Jewel Avenue, they can take the (E) or (F) , which are more reliable and frequent than the (R) .

The QM4 was never that busy on weekends anyway.  For the QM15, the only people I see really switching are perhaps those near the train.  The buses I got on were usually pretty fully from the people in Lindenwood/Howard Beach.  You would get some folks here and there at that Jamaica and Woodhaven Blvd stop in Woodhaven, and a few at the next stop. After that the biggest stop is there in Middle Village/Rego Park (Woodhaven Bl and 63rd Drive), and given who I would see usually getting on, I don't see them changing.  That isn't to downplay your observations because some people will stop using the lines, but I wouldn't worry just yet.  It's also winter time so ridership tends to be weaker anyway.  I've been using the express buses this weekend and ridership was a bit better than I expected on the BxM1, BxM2, BM3 and BxM6, though my BxM2 bus Friday night was really empty, likely due to the cold and it being behind schedule a bit, as I myself was considering taking Metro-North or going over to the BxM1 which is more reliable at that time.  

On a side note, the BxM6 I was on this morning going to Parkchester actually did a combined BxM6 and BxM10 trip.  I got on at 86th and 3rd and was shocked at how many people were riding (it's usually 5 people max at that time of the morning on a Sunday).  This bus had 10+ on it.  Then I realized it was combined with the BxM10 since apparently there was no BxM10, so the B/O did the usual BxM6 trip but didn't make the last stop at the Metropolitan Oval.  He made the stop at the Bx22 stop instead and followed the Bx22 up to White Plains Rd to do the BxM10 drop-off.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On a side note, the BxM6 I was on this morning going to Parkchester actually did a combined BxM6 and BxM10 trip.  I got on at 86th and 3rd and was shocked at how many people were riding (it's usually 5 people max at that time of the morning on a Sunday).  This bus had 10+ on it.  Then I realized it was combined with the BxM10 since apparently there was no BxM10, so the B/O did the usual BxM6 trip but didn't make the last stop at the Metropolitan Oval.  He made the stop at the Bx22 stop instead and followed the Bx22 up to White Plains Rd to do the BxM10 drop-off.

So which sign was up? BXM6 or 10? Or did the driver find a way to overlay both signs. 

He was signed up as a BxM6 and he just opened the doors at the BxM10 stops that aren't together with the BxM6 and honked/waived people over to get on.

I think there is a way to overlay 2 different signs together I've seen it before with the Q58 where is says Next Bus please followed by the normal sign. I wouldn't be surprised if you could do it it 2 destination signs too.

Can anyone share your opinions on this question who has better maintance Manhattanville or Gun hill depot?

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

Manhattanville has better maintenance, but their drivers play too much.

Some of Gun Hill's buses straight up suck but at least the drivers stop to pick you up no matter what backroad bus stop you're waiting at.

He was signed up as a BxM6 and he just opened the doors at the BxM10 stops that aren't together with the BxM6 and honked/waived people over to get on.

Well... That's one way to get some "cost efficiencies"....

Edited by paulrivera

Manhattanville has better maintenance, but their drivers play too much.

Some of Gun Hill's buses straight up suck but at least the drivers stop to pick you up no matter what backroad bus stop you're waiting at.

Well... That's one way to get some "cost efficiencies"....

How do Manhattanville drivers play if I can ask?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app