Express lines...

transit bx

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't see that part in the QM15 schedule I wanted to make sure that was right route that ran on Woodhaven Boulevard. And how is their ridership low?

Its not by my logic....if Starrett City riders isn't complaining then must be satisfied with their only route to Manhattan but again I haven't rode the BM5 since I lived in Brooklyn so I can't say how the ridership is over there!

FYI I live by the BM5 so I actually do know what I am talking about reguarding the BM5

Well that is true....IMO the BM5 is fine the way it, but I must ride that line once more!

you do realize ppl aren't complaining cause air can't complain. However it carries better with that added stop on woodhaven blvd at least someone got through to you yet once again bash QJT but when one agrees with me let em pass

This IS NOT MY IDEA buddy. It's based on DOT study at off peak

Q101 Steinway was backing you up, not trying to dispute you.... If anything, he was trying to defend your behind, by sayin what he said there to ME about the DOT study.....

He's one of the more humble guys on here.....

you do realize ppl aren't complaining cause air can't complain. However it carries better with that added stop on woodhaven blvd at least someone got through to you yet once again bash QJT but when one agrees with me let em pass

I actually do agree that the BM5 should be a rush hour only route... Been sayin that for the longest on here.....

Let me simplify compatibility what I mean compatibility of lines are lines that share similar terminals or are connected by a highway that is fast moving and the rtes travel similar directions and when merged DO NOT backtrack. Compatibility was what allowed the Q45 and Q47 to merge into one rte. The fact that the Q45 didn't have a traffic bottleneck holding it back allowed it to merge with Q47 without slowing down the route too much.

Nah... this is nothin more than an indirect shot at my B2/31 thing.... and in doing so, you shoot yourself in the foot by mentioning "sharing similar terminals"

I can't imagine a group of people at a roundtable sayin "The Q45 route & the Q47 route are infact compatible with each other", then coming to a decision to merge the route based off that & other factors....

What made sense for the Q45 & the Q47 to merge was the fact that they are both fairly low ridership routes whose runtimes (end to end) are also low.... The current Q45 takes about 30-35 mins & the current Q47 takes about 20-30 mins.... Do the math.... There's your solid hour right there (which most routes in the system have an approximate runtime of)....

Now that I look closely, I can make out the QM12's route in that area, but that map really helped me understand the routes in that area.

And you're right that the QM10 resembles a loop. I assume the drivers have to be really careful that their signs are set to the correct destination.

So then the QM11 only serves Forest Hills in the morning, right?

Yep, just the small details a bus map won't tell ya... things like that pique my interest....

About the QM10... I figured lookin at it like a loop would help you understand.... as far as the destination signage, only thing drivers gotta worry about showing, is whether it's traveling via 3rd or via 6th.....

QM10 manhattan bound buses don't run when QM10 Queens bound buses do (and vice versa)..... so that eliminates that worry about Manhattan bound pax hopping onto an outbound bus (and again, vice versa)....

About the QM11... Although I don't the exact times they run from, I know the QM11 is a rush hour only (peak direction) route... unlike the QM10, there are no midday QM11's....

Actually, that's not a bad idea (I'm assuming the number of riders in Lindenwood who would have to transfer to the Q11/21/41 would be small)

(the express bus) Riders in Lindenwood herald the QM15... they would have someone drive them to a QM15 stop than to take the local bus to the express bus... that type of commute is more common amongst the BM buses (namely the BM1 & 2) than it is amongst any queens express bus rider....

I would rearrange the whole Q11/21/41 setup down there.... all (the local bus) riders in Lindenwood need is one bus route going to/from the (A).... those crowd of people you see over there waiting on the SW corner of X-bay/Liberty, are ppl mainly waitin for the Q7.... the ppl. you see crowding on the woodhaven/liberty side (just short of the subway, along woodhaven) are mostly folks wanting the Rockaways.... These people want Q53's, not Q21's... But I'm gettin ahead of myself here....

Although I do think there's too much weekday service on the QM15, those buses do get good loads, even to the point of SRO sometimes (I don't know about you, but it bugs me a little when express buses bunch, and QM15's definitely do that).... you'll see a packed bus, then right behind it, a bus w/ about 5 people on it.....

I don't see anything wrong with that, really. If QM15s have a couple of extra passengers from Starrett City, so be it.

You don't, but they (QM15 riders) might..... that's the thing....

Yep, just the small details a bus map won't tell ya... things like that pique my interest....

About the QM10... I figured lookin at it like a loop would help you understand.... as far as the destination signage, only thing drivers gotta worry about showing, is whether it's traveling via 3rd or via 6th.....

QM10 manhattan bound buses don't run when QM10 Queens bound buses do (and vice versa)..... so that eliminates that worry about Manhattan bound pax hopping onto an outbound bus (and again, vice versa)....

About the QM11... Although I don't the exact times they run from, I know the QM11 is a rush hour only (peak direction) route... unlike the QM10, there are no midday QM11's....

Midday QM10 are gone first bus to Rego leave at 2:45 last bus from Rego leave at 11:00. I heard MTA may cut QM10 because it carry 390 folks on weekday

OIC but aren't most express buses except SI ones mostly on-time??? the only reason why spring creek is that way is cause their non-stop segments don't deal with as much traffic as the SI and queens and bronx rtes. The major deegan routes are for ppl with the patience of saints yes it's that bad but it isn't the depot's fault it's traffic that throws off the express buses.

I second that one.:tup:

Ok the QM10, 11, 12 routings are hard to explain simply by looking at a map, let me see if I can clarify a bit since I used to take all 3 routes pretty frequently.

the QM12 is the most straightforward since it doesn't operate via the Lefrak loop. Manhattanbound, it starts at the Q23 terminal, goes onto Yellowstone, turns at 62 Drive and then takes the LIE. It never crosses the LIE in anyway, and stays on the south side of the highway (as said previously, you can't transfer from the 12 to the Q38 in Corona)

the QM11 is the oddball of the three. in the mornings, it starts at Queens Blvd & Ascan Av and makes local stops on QBL (along with the QM18) and turns right at 63 Drive, where it meets the...

...QM10. Both routes follow the same route thereonafter: both travel up to 108 St, turn left, pass under the highway, and turn left again on the westbound service road (the path that the Elmhurst-bound Q88 takes). [because of all that construction on 108 st the qm10 and qm11 now have an extra 82 turns to make, but that story's for another day]

Then, you can follow the map and see how the QM10+11 reach the highway.

Going Queens bound, the Qm10 does a pretty simple loop. the first stop coming from the LIE (if it chooses to do so) is actually located underneath the overpass of the highway and it is one of the sketchiest stops in all of the (MTA). it then heads over to its first stop @ 63 Drive and basically follows the same AM route, but this time dropping off passengers instead of picking them up.

the QM11 is strange in that it makes local stops along Queens Blvd going east (following the Q60 to S Jamaica route) and then makes a Uturn at Ascan Av. It then goes nonstop back to Rego Park and does what the qm10 does.

regarding any plans to make these routes more efficient, I've definitely advocated for a combination of the QM10+12, but in regards to the QM11, it severely needs a change in routing but I can't think of a feasible plan, since there are a good number of people who use that bus in Forst Hills, Rego Park, and Corona.

Please any replies?

While Checkmate and Amtrak are 'numbers guys' I admit i don't follow ridership data alot. I always make my calls for NYC area routes *based on my experience* of personally riding them.

Though not Yuki LOL i did at one point been on almost every NYC Bus since i was a teen. With that said, here my calls on changes. I know Garbaldi may disagree with a couple of them.

Bronx

BXM18-select trips starts/ends at Getty Sq running via Riverdale Ave.

BXM4-Extended to Yonkers Raceway/Empire City running via Central Ave, McClean then regular route to/from 23rd Street.

BXM6-End weekend service. Replaced with re-routed BXM10 service serving Parkchester.

End Sunday BXM2 service. Riverdale Ave riders can use the BXM1 or nearby BXM3 as alternatives. Also BXM2 can use the BX7 Local Bus to Washington Heights-168 Street for (M2) (M3) (M4) or (M5)to West Midtown.

weekends/holidays only

Merge the BXM7 and BXM7a running along Bruckner Blvd between Pelham Bay Station (6) and White Plains Rd/Bruckner.

Other than the BXM7 the last Manhattan Bound Bronx (MTA) 'express' buses leaves their terminals at 8pm. For the BXM7 it leaves COOP City at 1am.

Also Hourly service on all Bronx lines on Sundays.

BXM7 runs between 4am-1am and Sundays 6am-Midnight. All other Bronx express buses runs Weekdays 530am-Midnight and Weekends 7am-Midnight.

Staten Island

X-1 runs every hour between 1-5am (aka 24/7 service)

X-17 runs on Sundays every hour between 7am-9pm.

Last Bus leaves Manhattan on Sundays at 9pm and SI at around 7pm.

Also the last Weekday Manhattan-bound X17 leaves SI at 6pm.

X-10 runs later on Sundays with last bus leaving Lower Manhattan at Midnight.

Brooklyn

Keep in mind i worked for a year at the former Command Bus as a phone agent (late '90's)giving schedules to callers. I am sure the ridership is similar almost 15 years later lol.

BM3-Extend the route to either Kingsborough College or the Brighton/CI border to serve the Trump Village Complex and terminate at West 5th/Surf Ave aka the former B68 terminal.

Or to serve those in ADA from Manhattan going to Kingsborough extend at least a few BM3's weekdays. The current terminal at Emmons/East 14th Street is middle of 'nowhere.'

BM4 reduced to peak direction service weekdays only. To Midtown appx. 530am-12 Noon and To Brooklyn appx. 12 Noon-9pm.

Weekend service is cut.

X27/X28 with hourly Saturday service between 7am-11pm.

Last X27/28 leaves their Brooklyn terminals at around 9pm and last X27/28 on Saturdays at 11pm.

No Sunday service to start. Too little ridership on Sundays often trips with zero ridership. Ready for Garbaldi reply but I am stubborn too:cool:(and unlike him I have facts as used to reguraly ride the X28 in the early 2000's)

If ridership does well then add "Sunday' ridership on X27/28.

Queens

Only change for now is why not create a 'park and ride' terminal at Green Acres Mall for one of the SE Queens/Valley Stream bus routes?

I don't ride the Queens express routes that often so i wont' comment here.

reactions to my proposals?:confused:

Please any replies?

B35 already replied to your comment about Green Acres Mall. Not all of your suggestions require a comment.

The X1 and X10 should have 24/7 service (those parts of the North Shore are as far from St. George as many parts of the South Shore, time-wise)

The X17 could easily have service to Manhattan until 18:00 by using some of the (many) buses that are deadheading into Manhattan.

I'll agree with extending the BM3 to Trump. As Via Garibaldi said, the people in Manhattan Beach can drive to the BM3 if they want it.

B35 already replied to your comment about Green Acres Mall. Not all of your suggestions require a comment.

That, and he knows how I feel about the ideas of his I already commented on in the past (I'm talking about since RD).... Out of his (and cotb's) ideas, I only comment on the ones I haven't (or don't remember) seeing from them previously....

Sure, everyone else is free to comment.... but like you said, not every suggestion requires a comment...

BxM18 extension to getty sq I find odd coming out of him, seeing that he also wants to eliminate the bxm2 on saturdays..... the BxM4 thing, I think it was Gotham bus that had a whole thread talking about his ideas for extending BxM4 (branches) to Yonkers a couple months back; don't remember the exact details of Gotham's ideas, but Shortline commented in that thread in question as well....

x1, 10, 17, 27, x28 ideas of his has been beaten to death.... I'm talking about years here....

I also remember him wanting to extend the BM3 to KCC

http://www.straphangers.org/diaries/ubbthreads.php/topics/470682/1/The_Express_and_Limited_Stop_B

http://www.straphangers.org/diaries/ubbthreads.php/topics/430719/Re_Express_Bus_thread_2008_Cha

^^^ TTCGiant1 & R-7 septa local, respectively, are his posts....

My issue with the QM1A was that it used Park Dr E and Van Wyck Expwy to get to the LIE. The LIE can does have heavy traffic west of the Van Wyck at times. At least if it used the Queens Blvd main road, it could cut down some of the time in heavy traffic.

This is off route for any of the QMs. Park Drive East is not for buses, and should never be used by any express bus, period.

This is off route for any of the QMs. Park Drive East is not for buses, and should never be used by any express bus, period.

Do you know of any B/O's that actually get in trouble for doing this? Off-peak, I have had a number of B/O's take Park Drive East, but it is pretty rare.

What about getting on the Grand Central at the Union Turnpike/Queens Boulevard interchange and taking it to the LIE? I have been on a QM5 that took it once in a while- is that also technically not allowed?

Do you know of any B/O's that actually get in trouble for doing this? Off-peak, I have had a number of B/O's take Park Drive East, but it is pretty rare.

What about getting on the Grand Central at the Union Turnpike/Queens Boulevard interchange and taking it to the LIE? I have been on a QM5 that took it once in a while- is that also technically not allowed?

Well I'm going to let you know that the things that some bus driver do is because they still stuck in the PBL mentality, those guys in all the PBL hates that MTA took over, I can also tell you that all the new ppl that was trained after the take over follows the MTA rule to the tee rather those guys that's been there before the take over.

Well I'm going to let you know that the things that some bus driver do is because they still stuck in the PBL mentality, those guys in all the PBL hates that MTA took over, I can also tell you that all the new ppl that was trained after the take over follows the MTA rule to the tee rather those guys that's been there before the take over.

I had a guy like that once on the BxM18 coming from Wall St who took a couple of minor detours (6 Av/26 St/Madison Av instead of 6 Av/23 St/Madison Av in Manhattan and 138 St/River Av/Exterior St instead of the Major Deegan as far as the Macombs Dam Bridge) headed north. How likely is there to be trouble over an incident like that, given that I figure he wound up shaving a few minutes off the trip that way. Personally, I think that B/Os should be allowed to use their judgement on nonstop sections in the interest of avoiding traffic jams.

I had a guy like that once on the BxM18 coming from Wall St who took a couple of minor detours (6 Av/26 St/Madison Av instead of 6 Av/23 St/Madison Av in Manhattan and 138 St/River Av/Exterior St instead of the Major Deegan as far as the Macombs Dam Bridge) headed north. How likely is there to be trouble over an incident like that, given that I figure he wound up shaving a few minutes off the trip that way. Personally, I think that B/Os should be allowed to use their judgement on nonstop sections in the interest of avoiding traffic jams.

WELL SAID!!!!!!! Too bad the BXM4C never did that when I used to use it it would sit in traffic for an hour happened 2 times in a row and after that I literally gave up on the BXM4C now at $7.50 I have no reason to even think about that bus anymore.

I understand what your saying,but when we do detours it comes from the command center. If that operator had got into a accident, the first thing they going to ask is who ask you to go that way.Also you dont know whos watching you on the streets or on the bus. I garanteed the guys that use there own detours are guys thats from the PBL intend of the MTA (ZEREGA) mantality like myself. Trust what im telling you lol these guys hates the MTA cause they cant do what they want anymore.

I understand what your saying,but when we do detours it comes from the command center. If that operator had got into a accident, the first thing they going to ask is who ask you to go that way.Also you dont know whos watching you on the streets or on the bus. I guarantee the guys that use there own detours are guys thats from the PBL intend of the MTA (ZEREGA) mentality like myself. Trust what im telling you lol these guys hates the MTA cause they cant do what they want anymore.

I agree with you and I understand what you're saying about the (MTA) detour policy; I just disagree with current (MTA) policy regarding detours. I mean, on local lines staying on-route matters a great deal because stops are only a couple of blocks apart, but on lines with nonstop segments the rule should be "get through the segment on time and don't break any traffic laws" because it provides more consistent on-time performance for the line and does nobody any harm. Take the BxM18, for instance.

If there's a traffic back-up on the Deegan the driver should be able to do any of the following without repercussion:

-BxM1 routing (HRD/Dyckman St/Broadway) from 125 St to 230 St

-Using River Av, Exterior St, Grant Hwy, University Av, and/or Sedgwick Av to bypass traffic jams on the Deegan

-Using any other routing, such as Grand Concourse/Kingsbridge Rd/Bailey Av, as long as the bus gets to 230 St on time.

At the same time, the bus driver would not be allowed to do any of these things (I doubt any of you guys would, but just to reassure people who get nervous over late/missing buses):

-Get on the HRD south of 125 St

-Take the Hudson over the bridge (EZPass violation and skipping the stops on 230 St and Johnson Av)

-Take a detour that causes the bus to arrive at 230 St 20-30 minutes late.

Thoughts?

Agreed that a bus driver can be allowed to do anything they want on a non-stop section in order to maintain the schedule. Just like the B30 BWI-Greenbelt express in MD that's supposed to use the Baltimore-Washington Parkway but really can use any route.

Of course the driver should notify dispatch first so they're aware where he is, but there's no need to wait for their permission.

Archived