MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

31 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I'm not sure why people are acting as if the MTA has the money to rebuild and fix off their property? They are a government agency, they will need money to fix the vast system we have in this city. Our depots are very old, they were old trolley barns for a lot of them, they need to be rebuilt or renovated, but at the same time look how long its taking for Jamaica bus depot to even get rebuilt. This was planned years ago, but construction won't even start until when? Next year? 

The MTA needs money, but the MTA needs to also be freed from being a pawn for politicians as well.  

Not only bus depots, but  most of the infrastructure in NYC that needs to have maintenance and repairs to keep up. Look at some apartments and NYCHA housing that’s getting violations bc they ain’t got no good maintenance or repairs done in a while. Look at what happened to that Building in the Bronx that partially collapses with all them violations. But back to depots, you made a good point, I have a feeling that they will be too late on fixing ENY and damage is done. Flatbush already has a bus that is oos because of a ceiling that fell on it. It’s crazy at this point, but I’m not surprised.

Edited by JoshTheScrub

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, JoshTheScrub said:

Not only bus depots, but  most of the infrastructure in NYC that needs to have maintenance and repairs to keep up. Look at some apartments and NYCHA housing that’s getting violations bc they ain’t got no good maintenance or repairs done in a while. Look at what happened to that Building in the Bronx that partially collapses with all them violations. But back to depots, you made a good point, I have a feeling that they will be too late on fixing ENY and damage is done. Flatbush already has a bus that is oos because of a ceiling that fell on it. It’s crazy at this point, but I’m not surprised.

Its probably not too late, but getting repairs done shouldn't take almost 10 years for a depot or anything else. 

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

I'm not sure why people are acting as if the MTA has the money to rebuild and fix off their property? They are a government agency, they will need money to fix the vast system we have in this city. Our depots are very old, they were old trolley barns for a lot of them, they need to be rebuilt or renovated, but at the same time look how long its taking for Jamaica bus depot to even get rebuilt. This was planned years ago, but construction won't even start until when? Next year? 

The MTA needs money, but the MTA needs to also be freed from being a pawn for politicians as well.  

It's not a point about $$, it's a point about mismanagement. If yk you need to fix something, it needs to be planned in advance. 

See that bold part? That's exactly why they are in the predicament they are in. Ever since the Cuomo era, they been playing politics to get what they want. They acting more like a party that wants look good in order to run for reelection instead of an actual transit agency, and especially as of lately it's getting obvious to the public eye. 

It might not be their fault, but they far from anything not corrupt. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2024 at 12:11 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

It's not a point about $$, it's a point about mismanagement. If yk you need to fix something, it needs to be planned in advance. 

See that bold part? That's exactly why they are in the predicament they are in. Ever since the Cuomo era, they been playing politics to get what they want. They acting more like a party that wants look good in order to run for reelection instead of an actual transit agency, and especially as of lately it's getting obvious to the public eye. 

It might not be their fault, but they far from anything not corrupt. 

Almost true.

It was ever since Governor Paterson cut regular state funding for the MTA in 2009(which led to the big 2010 service cuts), along with some of the worst top heads to ever be appointed(Jay Walder, Patrick Foye being the two notorious ones).

So in essence, it's basically the Paterson administration that caused a lot of what's been going on now with the fare hikes and all of that shit.

But of course, the big wigs are also paying themselves a hefty amount as well, and the entire agency, and the board, are as corrupt as they come.

I'd also like to mention, one of the recent Congestion Pricing lawsuits sparked a full blown audit of the MTA's finances. One of the judges basically said that if they're budget is running rampant now, along with the fact that they are 3 million dollars over budget, it would be worse when Congestion Pricing begins.

On 4/19/2024 at 6:19 PM, Cait Sith said:

Almost true.

It was ever since Governor Paterson cut regular state funding for the MTA in 2009(which led to the big 2010 service cuts), along with some of the worst top heads to ever be appointed(Jay Walder, Patrick Foye being the two notorious ones).

So in essence, it's basically the Paterson administration that caused a lot of what's been going on now with the fare hikes and all of that shit.

But of course, the big wigs are also paying themselves a hefty amount as well, and the entire agency, and the board, are as corrupt as they come.

I'd also like to mention, one of the recent Congestion Pricing lawsuits sparked a full blown audit of the MTA's finances. One of the judges basically said that if they're budget is running rampant now, along with the fact that they are 3 million dollars over budget, it would be worse when Congestion Pricing begins.

Wouldn’t be surprised if some mafia like behavior is taking hold. 

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, xD4nn said:

From today's board meeting, looks like Kingsbridge got the boot from the 60 XE40 order. ENY will now have their allotment increased to 22 units. 
image.png?ex=66325feb&is=66310e6b&hm=121

Based on this meeting, it seems like MTA decided to cancel the LFSe+ order due to "the recent loss of Nova" in the US market, which I felt was gonna happen.

Instead, the new pilot buses that will be tested will include Solaris (already mentioned a while back) as well as the D45 CRT (not specified if the buses will be the LE brand, the board lists the model as LE, but shows the regular CRT, similar build to NJT's supposed order). Both orders will be 5 buses each, and will be piloted similar to the XE40 and BE40 units during 2025-26.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Posted (edited)

As of right now, the LFSe+ order is still ongoing. There are unconfirmed rumors going around about the order being cancelled. Any orders that were placed PRIOR to the departure of Nova Bus leaving the US market are being fulfilled. They are not fully leaving the US market until 2025, so existing orders with various agencies such as MTA, WMATA and a few others are still ongoing.

Edited by Cait Sith

• 2 weeks later...

MTA is now publicly saying the NJT buses are for parts only, not service:

"An MTA spokesperson confirmed that the agency paid $100,000 to NJTransit for 15 used coaches whose parts will now be used to help maintain the 1,030 express buses that connect borough neighborhoods not near the subway system with Manhattan."

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

MTA is now publicly saying the NJT buses are for parts only, not service:

"An MTA spokesperson confirmed that the agency paid $100,000 to NJTransit for 15 used coaches whose parts will now be used to help maintain the 1,030 express buses that connect borough neighborhoods not near the subway system with Manhattan."

I mean, at least once unit is getting painted so far and they all got assigned numbers. They wouldn’t do that unless they planned on putting them on the road.

44 minutes ago, Novabus 5000 said:

I mean, at least once unit is getting painted so far and they all got assigned numbers. They wouldn’t do that unless they planned on putting them on the road.

Yeah, I think MTA press and DOB are not aligned on this. Maybe they put a handful on the road and the others stay as part buses. 

2200 is repainted in the old MTA scheme. The scheme for these buses is a combination of the "original look" pre 2010 as well as a bit of inspiration from the Ex-Bee line buses when first brought in. If you haven't seen the NJT buses in the MTA scheme yet, it'll definitely kick in the nostalgia feeling.

Posted (edited)

Maybe they are trying to fool the public by telling them they will be used for parts only so as not to create outrage in admitting they are running used buses in service rather than new ones to support the added service, especially since the seats are in colors that the public already sit on.

Only bus fans, drivers and others know that there will be "new" bus numbers running around.   MTA senior management can deny these buses are being used till the cows come home!

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

3 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

2200 is repainted in the old MTA scheme. The scheme for these buses is a combination of the "original look" pre 2010 as well as a bit of inspiration from the Ex-Bee line buses when first brought in. If you haven't seen the NJT buses in the MTA scheme yet, it'll definitely kick in the nostalgia feeling.

Any pictures if you don’t mind sharing?

Posted (edited)

Unconfirmed bc the assignments can always change and there is no reliable source as of this post. 

Based on stuff that I been hearing, assignments for the XE40s are the following:

4965-4974 to MQ ( 10 )

4975-4996 to ENY (22)

4997-5012 to GA (16)

5013-5024 to CH ( 12 )

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

11 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Unconfirmed bc the assignments can always change and there is no reliable source as of this post. 

Based on stuff that I been hearing, assignments for the XE40s are the following:

4965-4974 to MQ ( 10 )

4975-4996 to ENY (22)

4997-5012 to GA (16)

5013-5024 to CH ( 12 )

I am curious as to what moves will occur that stem this order.