New Flyer XD40 Discussion

East New York

I finally was able to get a ride on one of these bad boys today on the B6 - #4848 going to East New York, and I have to say the ride is smooth as hell. I didn't get a chance to sit down and enjoy from a passenger's POV as I was talking to my boy who works at UP the whole way. He says it drives like an RTS with no governor. Very awesome bus. :tup::tup:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a chance to ride 4830 out of Queens Village and 4857 from UP... Both buses are fast. Acceleration on these bad boys :tup: Plenty of room on these buses, and seating is comfortable.

I would only hope that New Flyer should win the BT&E. Definitely need change from these Orion buses, not to say Orion is bad, but a change is needed in NYC.

Anddd... the XD40s are a go at Castleton! They're slowly taking over just like the novas & 3Gs, yet they are incognito from MTA BusTime at this time.

The fact that they are not showing up on BusTime is really annoying. No buses on the S54, really? :mad:

The fact that they are not showing up on BusTime is really annoying. No buses on the S54, really? :mad:

Agreed, since someone from MTA bustime reads the forums, hopefully they will see this and correct it ASAP. It makes it seem as though no bus is arriving, but SUPRISE it's an Xcelsior!

Also, I don't think the S54 at any time of the day warrants any type of bus other than the novabus. An Xclesior on the S54 is a colossal waste of money as long as the S54 doesn't run to St. George.

Also, I don't think the S54 at any time of the day warrants any type of bus other than the novabus. An Xclesior on the S54 is a colossal waste of money as long as the S54 doesn't run to St. George.

I dont think a bus type on that line matters as long as it keeps up with the service schedule.

Anddd... the XD40s are a go at Castleton! They're slowly taking over just like the novas & 3Gs, yet they are incognito from MTA BusTime at this time.

Agreed, since someone from MTA bustime reads the forums, hopefully they will see this and correct it ASAP. It makes it seem as though no bus is arriving, but SUPRISE it's an Xcelsior!

The both of you should be writing to (MTA) Bus Time and complaining. Complaining on here and "hoping" they read the forums may not get you anywhere. I have written to them a few times in the past few days about MIA buses on Bus Time and they have been very responsive in getting back to me. They are LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK from folks like you so write to them so that they can fix the problems! :mad:

The S54 gets the newest fleet probably because they don't run that frequently, so their thinking is the newest buses should be less likely to break down, so that's what I think that's about. I take the S54 from the express bus quite a bit and have noticed this years ago when the first 3Gs started coming in.

Back to the MIA buses... The folks at Bus Time have acknowledged that some of the newer buses don't have the tracking on them and they have actually been able to give me installation dates for some of the buses. For example, bus 7081 does not have tracking on it and I used it to get to the X12 this morning. I wrote to them this morning and they replied quickly stating the following:

"Regarding Bus #7081 not appearing in MTA Bus Time, we were able to follow up on the matter based on the detailed information you provided to us. As you correctly identified, 7081 is one of our new buses that recently joined the fleet. The installation of the MTA Bus Time on-board hardware has been scheduled to be completed by the end of this week."

They were very apologetic about the situation, so if you want it fixed, write to them!! You can reach them at "MTABusTime@mtahq.org"

I dont think a bus type on that line matters as long as it keeps up with the service schedule.

I would disagree... There are times when the S54 can get crowded, so some buses do work better on that line at times. As SIR said, I would put NOVAS on that line during certain parts of the day and I would also have only low floor buses on that line since a lot of seniors use it. However, I do agree with the (MTA) using the newer buses on that line. The bus generally only runs every 30 minutes most of the day and so it's very important to ensure that those buses do indeed come as scheduled since it serves important areas of the island like Seaview Hospital and such.

I would disagree... There are times when the S54 can get crowded, so some buses do work better on that line at times. As SIR said, I would put NOVAS on that line during certain parts of the day and I would also have only low floor buses on that line since a lot of seniors use it. However, I do agree with the (MTA) using the newer buses on that line. The bus generally only runs every 30 minutes most of the day and so it's very important to ensure that those buses do indeed come as scheduled since it serves important areas of the island like Seaview Hospital and such.

That also depends on how crowded the line gets (and where it gets crowded at)...if it's not St. George Ferry crowd status, it's not much of a problem.

• 1 month later...

Why is it that every time i go on an xd40....either from castleton or ulmer park....one of the pull cords are broken....or loose...or crooked??

But on every Orion VII 3g i rode....havent seen the problem...

is the xd40's pull cord string weaker...or people just choosing to mess up the pull cord on these specific buses??

How is it a waste of money??? That doesn't really make any sense seeing as the Xcelsior has what...... 2-3 more seats??? It also cost's less, and is more fuel efficient than the Nova.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Love the Xcelsiors! They run smooth, and they are fast. The seating arrangement is awesome, I am a big guy, and I need this kind of spaciousness. And if I don't get a seat, I wouldn't mind, cause this bus runs so smoothly. No jerkiness, no cramped seating, no space issues. I love this bus as much as I love the Orion V, top of the line. I hope the Xcelsiors win the award for more buses. Thank you New Flyer!

• 3 months later...

ENY's Prelimary NBQP review

New Flyer XD40 $39,225,880 est.

-75 standard configuration($430,269), Allison B400R, Thermo King HVAC, hydraulic cooling system, LED headlamps, disk brakes

-15 optional configuration($446,809),Allison B400R, Thermo King HVAC, electronic cooling system, LED headlamps, disk brakes.

-$38,799,060 for 90 buses.

-$275,000 for qualified testing, manuals, and diagnostic tools.

-$45,000 for tailpipe emission profile testing.

-$106,820 for training

*Delivery of all units except 4812 and 4899 complete

*Fleet 4810-4899

Rating: 4.7 out of 5

Unit Costs 5

Performance 4.5

Fuel Economy/Emissions 5

Unscheduled Maintenance 4

Major Subsystem evaluation N/A

Optional Equipment evaluation N/A

Driver response 4.75 (varied from depot to depot)

Customer response 5

Pros

- Fuel Efficient

- LED Headlamps

- Smooth comfortable ride

- Fast acceleration

- Resposive M.A.N. Suspension

- Spacious interior

- Ample standing space

- Ample leg room

- Has the highest seating capacity in the test program

- Efficient HVAC.

Cons-

- Minor electrical issues

- Other minor issues not identified at this time

- Vapor Class Sensor on the rear door can become quite annoying on a crush loaded bus (TA Spec)

Remember this is an independant study that may not reflect MTA's actual position on the program.

Oh ok in that case Im fearful then. MTA has shown that they tend to take allegiance with whoever they have history with (Orion is my example which I cant fault them they make great buses and proven time and time again they can build and be worked in NYC which made me wonder why they were in BTE to begin with) and here you have two solid buses made by 2 solid companies who have proven themselves in NYC time and time again. Their only difference (to me at least) being one looks like the younger sibling of whoever designs BMWs and the other keeps making me sing the oscar mayer bolgna song everytime I see it. But all that most likely doesnt mean a damn thing to the sir(s) and or madam(s) in bus acquisition so lets go with this then NFI are cheapers and carry more ppl so MTA give them the contract pretty plz with sprinkles on top

Oh ok in that case Im fearful then. MTA has shown that they tend to take allegiance with whoever they have history with (Orion is my example which I cant fault them they make great buses and proven time and time again they can build and be worked in NYC which made me wonder why they were in BTE to begin with) and here you have two solid buses made by 2 solid companies who have proven themselves in NYC time and time again. Their only difference (to me at least) being one looks like the younger sibling of whoever designs BMWs and the other keeps making me sing the oscar mayer bolgna song everytime I see it. But all that most likely doesnt mean a damn thing to the sir(s) and or madam(s) in bus acquisition so lets go with this then NFI are cheapers and carry more ppl so MTA give them the contract pretty plz with sprinkles on top

What the hell did I just read?

I want to see the XD40/60 win the NBQP as well.

Obviously the evaluation isn't over but I can imagine that the orders will simply be split between the two. With the 690 buses either all New Flyer Xd40s or possibly a New Flyer with 2/3 of the order and Nova with a 1/3. While I do feel that the LFSA's are much better than LFS, at least in the application in NYC, I doubt the XD60s (even though they haven't been in service yet) and NF in general, will see the lion's share of artic orders, I see that being a 50/50 split. And not to bring in politics in the mix, but considering the plattsburgh plant is relatively new and the idea buy New York is still a sticking point, regardless if New Flyer dominates or not, there are going to NovaBus's in the future in NYC (Mind you, I think the LFSA's are a great bus and are my favorite). Regardless of who wins, it will probably be between these two manufacturers in the future.

• 5 months later...

Archived