New Flyer XD60 Discussion

East New York

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was really looking forward to riding these babies sooner. I think you said that some could be assigned to an SBS in Brooklyn. :D I guess I'll have to be patient.

But, thanks for the info.

The original word was that some of them may have run out of Flatbush Depot, but because nothing is final, and the award has been pushed back 3 times, we likely won't know any real details until this fall at the earlist. I was really looking forward to seeing them this year as well. New Flyer has been having some issues with the Xcelsior model's electrical system, and a few other minor issues. Hopefully things are under control, and the award won't be pushed back any further.

• 2 weeks later...

At this time, the TA is still in talks with New Flyer about the articulated evaluation, and exactly what buses they may order. MTA continues to evaluate the pros and cons of introducing hybrid articulated buses, and where they would go.

hybrids would be nice! but i really hope its that XD60!! if the front looks like the XD40 with the top that would be the best bus in system!! i really want them to have that cummins isl and allison b400r or a b500r "dont mind" transmission.

The New Flyer Articulated threads have been merged together to reflect possible changes to future procurement.

MTA remains in talks with New Flyer about the LFR and Xcelsior artics as they continue to evaluate the pros and cons of hybrid buses.

It is a possibility that the MTA will not order the Allison DE60LFR hybrids, and opt for the Xcelsior diesel if and when the bus successfully completes the shaker testing.

I see this model has little platforms so the seats over the middle wheel could be raised over it. Why don't they just do that for the front wheel, instead of continuing to waste the space (what I always didn't like about LF's. OF course, now, on the driver's side, the space it used for a compartment for the driver's stuff).

(This site has a floor map: http://www.jncorporation.ca/hsr/bus/newflyer_de60lfr.htm)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

XC60.jpg

XN60 Rendering Courtesy T. Logan Jr.; Photo Courtesy New Flyer

New Flyer "Xcelsior" XD60 $63,689,941 est.

-75 standard configuration articulated buses. Allison B400R, Thermo King HVAC, hydraulic cooling system, LED headlamps, disk brake

-15 optional configuration: ZF Transmission

*Pilot expected immediately as 2 are already built.

• Preliminary depot Assignments and fleet numbers (Subject to change)

Quill, Kingsbridge & Tuskegee

1000-1089

Interesting, didn't expect these buses this soon! I still was hoping that the LFRs was coming first if at all, riding a hybrid Artic would be dope.

Especially to see how good it accelerates compared to the 40 foot Hybrids.

I'm happy to hear these will have the Allison transmission.

UPDATE: There was a change in the depot assignments for the XD60's. They are now slated to go to Quill, Kingsbridge, and Gun Hill. Tuskegee is out. Delivery of the first of the buses to Quill is expected by years end.

A ZF in a Xcelsior? Well ill be....

Yessir!

I am SUPER excited about this! I wish they were ordering more than 90 buses but I understand what they are doing. I hope they do very well here. When can we expect the first of these to hit the city?

August

Wait so no DE60LFRs? At All?

As of right now it was put on hold, and it is highly likely that the TA may not even test the bus.

Interesting, didn't expect these buses this soon! I still was hoping that the LFRs was coming first if at all, riding a hybrid Artic would be dope.

Especially to see how good it accelerates compared to the 40 foot Hybrids.

I'm happy to hear these will have the Allison transmission.

New Flyer passed the second shaker test on the XD60, so the order will now proceed, and almost back to it's original schedule. Since 1000 and 1001 are already built, things should progress quite well.

Excellent update as always, thank you sir!

I guess that means more hand-me-downs for Tuskegee, oh well. Quill's fleet is fine as is, I think, but I guess the MTA disagrees. Can't wait to see Xcelsiors in the city!

Excellent update as always, thank you sir!

I guess that means more hand-me-downs for Tuskegee, oh well. Quill's fleet is fine as is, I think, but I guess the MTA disagrees. Can't wait to see Xcelsiors in the city!

Hold off on that assignment for a sec. There is one depot in question. There will be updates and changes all night.

Is 1000 and 1001 demo.buse.... or the first 2 buses of the mta order??

Both. They will begin as demos. If the MTA tells New Flyer to proceed after one of them has been tested in revenue service, they will then become the pilots for the order.

The TA probably shouldn't even bother getting the LFR's at this point - it's likely only a matter of time before NFI discontinues the LFR series in favor of the Xcelsior models.

Actually, this can go two ways.

Test out the Allison on the LFR Platform. The maintenance costs/inventory for many parts will be common to the C40LF's. This would likely be a good deal for MTA anyway. When they go out for future hybrids, they will have had a chance to evaluate the Allison product.

Or, just wait till the Xcelsior is qualified, and worry about hybrids in the future.(What the (MTA) seems to be leading towards)

Actually, this can go two ways.

Test out the Allison on the LFR Platform. The maintenance costs/inventory for many parts will be common to the C40LF's. This would likely be a good deal for MTA anyway. When they go out for future hybrids, they will have had a chance to evaluate the Allison product.

Or, just wait till the Xcelsior is qualified, and worry about hybrids in the future.(What the (MTA) seems to be leading towards)

Unless the TA has a burning desire to test out the Allison system right away, they might as well wait and test it out on a model that they could get for years in the future. The LFR's do share parts with the regular LF's but the front and back end caps and the doors are all different.

Unless the technology takes a major leap forward, I'm skeptical about the application of a parallel-hybrid bus in NYC's heavy traffic. The one study that was done a few years back showed that series-hybrid buses do better in stop & go traffic. Anecdotally, I've also heard that Buffalo's NFTA is getting better performance with their Gillig hybrid buses on the longer routes than the busier urban routes.

Archived