• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

FASTRACK Returns to the G Line

May 08th, 2014
g_train.jpg?itok=P5eddofY
G train
Customers who take the g.png line in Brooklyn late at night...take note. On Monday, May 12, MTA New York City Transit’s FASTRACK program returns to the line which means g.png service will be suspended between Bedford-Nostrand Avs and Church Av from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. for four consecutive weeknights from Monday, May 12 to early Friday morning, May 16.  Free shuttle buses, and f.png trains provide alternate service.  
Travel alternatives:
· Free shuttle buses operate between Bedford-Nostrand Avs and the Jay St-MetroTech f.png station making station stops at Classon Av, Clinton-Washington Avs, Fulton St, and Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts.
· Transfer between g.png trains and free shuttle buses at Bedford-Nostrand Avs.
· Take the f.png for service between Jay St-MetroTech and Church Av.
· Transfer between free shuttle buses and f.png trains at Jay St-MetroTech.
· a.png service is also available between Hoyt-Schermerhorn and Jay St-MetroTech.
Joseph Leader, Senior Vice President for the Department of Subways, said, "Our FASTRACK efforts have been highly successful in repairing and maintaining a subway system that provides a better work environment for employees and improves train service reliability for our customers."
During our previous FASTRACK on the g.png line in January 2014, New York City Transit repair and maintenance crews took full advantage of the uninterrupted seven-hour work window, and completed many tasks which included maintenance of station infrastructure elements, replacement of signs, repair and replacement of track components and track cleaning between Bedford-Stuyvesant and Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn.  Workers replaced 32 platform signs, 73 feet of handrail, 264 light bulbs, removed scrap debris from tracks, scraped and cleaned 7,260 linear feet of track, inspected 6,500 linear feet of track, installed 154 track tie plates, and scraped and cleaned 4,950 feet of track under and around the third rail.  They also repaired 48 leaks, cleaned 200 feet of drain line, performed maintenance in a pump plant, and repaired 150 feet of bench wall.  
FASTRACK has been designed around the careful determination that there is adequate alternate means of transportation, including enhanced services along some bus lines during work periods.  Alternative transportation options will be detailed in announcements and posters on trains, in stations and on selected buses; brochures will be available in both English and Spanish.  Information on this FASTRACK is available on the web at http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/fastrack_G.htm
FASTRACK was introduced in January 2012, devoting four straight weeknights to perform maintenance work in tunnels, stations and on tracks, completely suspending service within a given line segment for a seven-hour period between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m., allowing an army of maintenance workers to perform dozens of tasks.   
Our next FASTRACK overnight closure, scheduled to begin Monday night, May 19 and ending early Friday morning, May 23, will take place on the a.pngc.pngb.pngd.png lines between 59 St- Columbus Circle and 168 St on the a.png line, and between 59 St-Columbus Circle and 161 St-Yankee Stadium on the d.png line.  
The most up-to-date information on MTA service status is always available at http://www.mta.info.  For immediate notice of service changes, sign up for email or text alerts at www.mymtaalerts.com. For weekend subway service changes, visit www.mta.info/weekender.

so Central Park West Fastrack is coming up, and like last time it will go up all the way to 207th Street instead of 168th Street like the first time. Here's the following trains I heard for the last northbound trains through in order

Last Northbound (B) Train, following by the last Northbound (A) Train. As for the (C) And (D) Train I heard they might have the (C) as 3rd to last this time instead of the last cleanup train through. Why? Because last time when they sent the last train through which was the (C) Train, it screwed up the Fastrack because all the way up to 207th Street was cut off and delayed the start of the work. So I heard what they're doing is having the last Uptown (A) And (C) Train connect at 59th Street and the last northbound (D) Train will be the cleanup train (Most likely running Local) since that part is only closed off up to 161st Street. It does make from what I was told and I actually think it does

so Central Park West Fastrack is coming up, and like last time it will go up all the way to 207th Street instead of 168th Street like the first time. Here's the following trains I heard for the last northbound trains through in order

Last Northbound (B) Train, following by the last Northbound (A) Train. As for the (C) And (D) Train I heard they might have the (C) as 3rd to last this time instead of the last cleanup train through. Why? Because last time when they sent the last train through which was the (C) Train, it screwed up the Fastrack because all the way up to 207th Street was cut off and delayed the start of the work. So I heard what they're doing is having the last Uptown (A) And (C) Train connect at 59th Street and the last northbound (D) Train will be the cleanup train (Most likely running Local) since that part is only closed off up to 161st Street. It does make from what I was told and I actually think it does.

Deleted.

Edited by lupojohn

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if the (R) is running to 9th ave tonight between 10 and midnight?

I think last year it was supposed to but in end they just terminated them Pacific downtown express.

Maybe someone knows their plans for this week

Edited by Abba

Service advisories list the R running between 9th Ave & Court St between 10pm and midnight.  There would be no point to run it Court-Pacific.  (TripPlanner shows shuttle buses running at 8 minute headways, which does not seem nearly enough to handle the massive crowds from both N and R train riders.)

Does anyone know if the (R) is running to 9th ave tonight between 10 and midnight?

I think last year it was supposed to but in end they just terminated them Pacific downtown express.

Maybe someone knows their plans for this week

Service advisories list the R running between 9th Ave & Court St between 10pm and midnight.  There would be no point to run it Court-Pacific.  (TripPlanner shows shuttle buses running at 8 minute headways, which does not seem nearly enough to handle the massive crowds from both N and R train riders.)

bPgoeu2.png

R.png service in Brooklyn operates as follows: 

10 PM to 12 midnight:  Between Court St and 36 St, Brooklyn and via the D.png to/from 9 Av

12:01 AM to 5 AM:  Service does not operate. 

So yes, between 10 and midnight the R runs between Court St and 9th Ave. 

I'd imagine they'd tell you to take the 2/4 to travel between Atlantic and Court St. 

If you really needed to get to Jay St metrotech and didn't want to transfer via street level, I suppose one would get off the R and onto the F at 4th av/9th st. 

Are there massive crowds of N and R train riders after 10pm? I'm not sure I've been out that way during those hours but I'm sure the busing will be sufficient, if annoying. 

Shuttle buses were an epic fail tonight.  Hundreds of people waiting for shuttle buses at 36th St tonight, and many many people giving up and walking all the way to Bay Ridge.  When you shut down TWO train lines, you need massive amounts of shuttle buses.  (This isn't like when you shut down the CPW line and people can walk a few blocks to the #1 train.  Here, there is no other subway transportation AT ALL for the three-mile stretch to Bay Ridge.  So you need many many many more shuttle buses.)

Edited by RtrainBlues

N trains from Manhattan were certainly not running at their normal 10 minute headways last night at the 10pm hour.  D trains were running regular 10 minute headways on the express track Atlantic-36th, but it appeared that N train service from Ditmars was cut.

• 2 weeks later...

i am little confused here. I am looking at the numbers on running rails vs 3 rail. it seem that running rails are like so much larger

then 3 rails. How can this be when they should be equal amount of feet. ? any help will be appreciated

ie:

Track - Scraped and cleaned 39,925 feet of track and installed 556track plates and 70 tie blocks. Removed 48,200 pounds of scrap debris in 5,265 bags. checkMark_small.jpgThird Rail Operations -Cleaned 5,715 feet of track under and around the third rail and corrected 139 defects.

• 2 weeks later...

On Fast Track we do not all work along side each other.

Track also has many, many more employees then 3rd rail. There are close 2000 Track workers and just under 400 3Rd Rail maintainers. You'll have 20 or more Track personal in one spot on a fast track cleaning with only 3 or 4 3rd Rail employees with them

If Track cleans and scrapes they are doing east and west rail so there numbers are x2. If PD cleans and scraps it's just under one rail. PD cleans any areas around cable connections, Brackets and anchors or any metals under the rail that can cause an explosion. It's more of a walk thru for spots needing immediate attention. There a track cleaning specific gangs that come thru on a schedule to clean continuous on a regular night.

As for defects PD is working live so it's a much longer process and again you only have 2-3 employees compared to the number of Track personal.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bump to the post above, and the extended (5) is running on Lex Exp, right? Why not terminate (6) at 125 St and run (5) local to save some $?

Loss of local service from 12am to 1:30am, the (5) isn't as frequent as the (6) at that time. The (4) had to run local earlier the last time the (6) was cut back, probably to help the (5) with the local stops.