Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

I would like to see a limited bus service on northern Blvd q13 or q12.

The q65 should be rerouted via Bowne st till Roosevelt ave make a left create a stand next to n20/21 on Roosevelt makes a right at college point Blvd.

The q44sbs should be rerouted to its old route along 150th street and grand central parkway. Hillside ave between stupin Blvd and queens Blvd is a disaster when the bus lanes aren't in affect. Q20 would remain the same.

Q31/76 going to Jamaica depot

Q17 going to CS depot so they can run some artics on the q17 durning rush hour.

Q27 extended to Belt pkwy.

Q75 being returned and maybe extended to queens boro college. Glen oaks and bayside can use the bus service. It was always packed for rush hour going to Jamaica in the mornings. Got cut durning the last cut backs.

Glad to see artics on the q111/113/114 dont need them on q110.

The q25/65 could use artics

So can the q17/27/46

Extend the q34 along willets point Blvd to Francis Lewis Blvd

Add bus service along 73rd ave?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

That would hurt the route more than help it.

Although I agree that area sucks I'd be better of traveling down the vanwyck over 150th cause it would cause the northbound buses to have to completly loop around.

It wouldn't match the number of buses being sent to each other. If you add the Q20 to JA it might be near even. The problem with the Q17 isn't that it need artics. When most short runs come from Flushing but the depo is on the other side of the the line it causes problems with bunching. The CS trippers travel far enough that they are technically almost doing a short run so it would be more efficient if it ran out of CS over JA. 

The Q27 is already really long, so IDk if that would be a good idea. 

I'm pretty sure the Q25/Q27/Q65 can't handle artics. 

Edited by IAlam

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That would hurt the route more than help it.

Although I agree that area sucks I'd be better of traveling down the vanwyck over 150th cause it would cause the northbound buses to have to completly loop around.

It wouldn't match the number of buses being sent to each other. If you add the Q20 to JA it might be near even. The problem with the Q17 isn't that it need artics. When most short runs come from Flushing but the depo is on the other side of the the line it causes problems with bunching. The CS trippers travel far enough that they are technically almost doing a short run so it would be more efficient if it ran out of CS over JA.

The Q27 is already really long, so IDk if that would be a good idea.

I'm pretty sure the Q25/Q27/Q65 can't handle artics.

There was actually a prosposal that would actually reroute the Q65 via Parsons Blvd between Sanford and 45 Ave to provide service to Parsons Blvd at all times when the Q26 isn't running. Not only will it take buses off more narrow Bowne St but, it will free up parking on that street. It won't hurt the route that much at all because only people from the two stops will have to travel far and those two stops aren't major stops at all.

Personally I would keep the Q44 alone. There was a reason why the current routing was chosen back in the 90's. Hillside does get congested but it's preferred rather than have northbound buses have to loop around the Grand Central to Parsons and back to Main Street.

The Q17 has seen a decrease in ridership for a while and I think the biggest issue with that route comes from the short turns itself. The route is really at its worst during the afternoon hours between 2-5pm. There is just too many buses going to Fresh Meadows 188th street than to Jamaica. You can sometimes have three buses short turned before you see one actually going to Jamaica. I would just get rid of the short turns completely because the Q17 north of 188th and Horace Harding has several alternatives. You can take the Q88 to any Flushing bound bus or the Q88 to the Q25 anyway if you seek service between Flushing and Horace Harding Expressway via Kissena Blvd. Since there are alternatives it would make sense to have all buses run the full route. The Q17 bunches up so bad that you could 5 buses back to back and that causes huge gaps in service.

Now a second thing they could do which I can also see work is split the Q17 between Casey Stengel and Jamaica. CS would run the Q17 school trippers and the short turns while Jamaica does the regular full route and everything else. This would just organize the service and I could see reliability improving. However I'm more in favor of just eliminating all short turns and have them run the full length and take out some service if needed.

Yeah I agree with you the Q27 is really long. It is already one of the many super routes the MTA has. There was a proposal a few years back to bring it to Merrick Blvd but it wasn't done because of that reason.

The Q25/Q65 is actually said to get articulated buses in the near future. Service will have to be altered a little and I can see both LTD and local buses for each route running on 10 minute headway a with a combined frequency of 5 minutes between each buses. That is not necessarily how it may turn out but that is just an idea I have.

The q44sbs should be rerouted to its old route along 150th street and grand central parkway. Hillside ave between stupin Blvd and queens Blvd is a disaster when the bus lanes aren't in affect. Q20 would remain the same.

Except that...

(1) 150th Street is too hilly, especially in snow. That's why it was rerouted to use the snow detour routing. 

(2) Northbound would do a jug-handle U-turn via Parsons.

Doing a route proposal. This is for fun and not a serious one.

The route would be called the QM27. It starts at Terminal 5 at JFK airport with the Q3, Q10, &  :bus_bullet_b15:. It would then follow the Van Wyck Expressway until Exit 9 (where it leads to Queens Boulevard). It would continue until the LIE where it would join with the other routes. It continues into the Midtown tunnel and follow the QM16, and terminate with it. The return trip would go follow the QM16, and stick with it until 19 (where it again leads to Queens Boulevard). It would stay on that street until it hits the Van Wyck Expressway (where it would turn right). It enters the expressway, and heads straight to Terminal 5 of JFK airport to terminate. It would be active on weekdays and weekends only. The route would operate with JFK Depot. Purpose of this route is to provide a direct connection between Midtown and JFK airport. 

What do you think? 

First of all, the Q38 bus route is pointless. You can walk from one terminus to the other in as little as 8 minutes!

Secondly, the Q12 REALLY needs artics. The number of people that ride the route is sufficient enough for the MTA to conclude that the Q12 deserves artics.

Thirdly, the Q25 needs SBS treatment because of the number of people that ride it and the long time it takes to get from one terminus to the other. 

The route would be called the QM27. It starts at Terminal 5 at JFK airport with the Q3, Q10, &  :bus_bullet_b15:. It would then follow the Van Wyck Expressway until Exit 9 (where it leads to Queens Boulevard). It would continue until the LIE where it would join with the other routes. It continues into the Midtown tunnel and follow the QM16, and terminate with it. The return trip would go follow the QM16, and stick with it until 19 (where it again leads to Queens Boulevard). It would stay on that street until it hits the Van Wyck Expressway (where it would turn right). It enters the expressway, and heads straight to Terminal 5 of JFK airport to terminate. It would be active on weekdays and weekends only. The route would operate with JFK Depot. Purpose of this route is to provide a direct connection between Midtown and JFK airport. 

What do you think? 

Pretty sure those private airport bus companies would throw a fit, considering they basically have the JFK-Midtown market covered (albeit at a higher price of course)

First of all, the Q38 bus route is pointless. You can walk from one terminus to the other in as little as 8 minutes!

its not designed to transport passengers from one terminal to the other. It there as a community loop bringing riders to their nearest subway station. Whether it be 63rd, Metropolitan, or Woodhaven

Secondly, the Q12 REALLY needs artics. The number of people that ride the route is sufficient enough for the MTA to conclude that the Q12 deserves artics.

Thirdly, the Q25 needs SBS treatment because of the number of people that ride it and the long time it takes to get from one terminus to the other.

The Q38 used to be two routes that terminated both at Middle Village. As far as splitting it up now, I don't know if the MTA would be in favor of that.

Back in 2011/2012 when Casey Stengel the Q12 was suppose to be the second route that got artics besides the Q44 but that never happened. I find that the MTA neglected the Northern Blvd corridor when it comes to improving service. The Q12 has the ridership for a LTD and QM3 has the potential for growth of extra trips were added but everything remains the same with those two routes.

The Q25 was considered for SBS but I'm not in favor of it. Being a Q25 rider for the past 12 years I can tell you that the problem with that route is bunching and the huge gaps in service because of it. The Q25 according to the Northeastern Queens bus study is the worst performing route when it comes to on time performance. Not surprised at all because the Q25 is a route that can run fine then all of a sudden your wait is almost a half hour long. At night it gets worst because buses are either MIA or they are bunched.

The Q34 is no help for the Q25 because 80% of the time buses are bunched together anyway. That is why I would eliminate all Q34 service south of Flushing. I would make the ex Q34 trips Q25 short turns at Main Street. I would have lay over with the Q17/Q27 on 39th Ave. Jamaica and Flushing is where the demand is. Those extra Q34 trips during the rush hours that continue to Whitestone will have to be extra buses that the depot gets.

Back in 2011/2012 when Casey Stengel the Q12 was suppose to be the second route that got artics besides the Q44 but that never happened. I find that the MTA neglected the Northern Blvd corridor when it comes to improving service. The Q12 has the ridership for a LTD and QM3 has the potential for growth of extra trips were added but everything remains the same with those two routes.

no doubt that Northern Blvd isn't getting the love it deserves, but arctics were tested (not in service), but the MTA concluded that it would be too difficult to turn the buses around.

The Q34 is no help for the Q25 because 80% of the time buses are bunched together anyway. That is why I would eliminate all Q34 service south of Flushing. I would make the ex Q34 trips Q25 short turns at Main Street. I would have lay over with the Q17/Q27 on 39th Ave. Jamaica and Flushing is where the demand is. Those extra Q34 trips during the rush hours that continue to Whitestone will have to be extra buses that the depot gets.

The Q34 helps those people that used the Q14 south of WP Blvd. Don't think it qualifies for a complete elimination.

What I believe should happen is whenever the Q25 LTD operates, it's LTD only, with all the Q34s running to Jamaica whenever the LTD runs. That way the Q34 gets a bit more usage and at least take a few off the Q25. (We know we want ltd over local)

The Q12 carries less than 11,000 people per weekday folks. If said route were 2 miles long or less than that's awesome but there's no way the Q12 needs to be running artics or limited stop trips. Looking at other details, the current schedule calls for 4 minute headways towards Flushing in the AM Rush (east of Sanford/165) and 8-10 minute headways for full length trips. From Flushing it's 10 minute headways the whole way. With artics that's getting cut to at least 5 minutes and 12 minutes+ without the short-turns. That's not the type of service riders should be getting offered. The only improvement I would propose for the Q12 is some kind of westward extension of the route. 

The Q12 carries less than 11,000 people per weekday folks. If said route were 2 miles long or less than that's awesome but there's no way the Q12 needs to be running artics or limited stop trips. Looking at other details, the current schedule calls for 4 minute headways towards Flushing in the AM Rush (east of Sanford/165) and 8-10 minute headways for full length trips. From Flushing it's 10 minute headways the whole way. With artics that's getting cut to at least 5 minutes and 12 minutes+ without the short-turns. That's not the type of service riders should be getting offered. The only improvement I would propose for the Q12 is some kind of westward extension of the route. 

Given how the Q13 runs along the Q12 from Sanford/Northern to Bell Blvd, I don't think that it will be harmful in any way. The Q13 runs every 6 minutes to Flushing during the height of the rush. Yes, the Q13 takes longer to get to Flushing because it uses Northern Blvd, but there are still options for riders. Only difference is in the PM, where riders would have to make up their mind on which bus they will travel on. A Q12 LIMITED, at the very least for rush hour travel, could work.

Edited by BM5 via WOODHAVEN BL

On page 69 of the NE Queens Bus Study, they mention that they're looking into limited-stop service, and a limited-zone service (basically, nonstop service between Flushing and some other point like 165th or Bell Blvd, and then local stops the rest of the way)

If you just run the full-length buses limited and leave the short-turn buses local, that's enough service for all groups, especially when you throw the Q13 into the mix.

And a westward extension would only serve to make the Q12 more unreliable. The PW Branch already provides direct service westward from points east of Flushing (for riders seeking Woodside, and Elmhurst when it opens)

I have a proposal for the Q38, which essentially would split the route into several routes. To be more specific, I would have the Q38 split into 3 routes.

The portion that would be the Q38 would be the Middle Village (Fresh Pond Road) to Forest Hills portion of the route. Service would operate every 30 minutes instead of every 20 minutes during middays. Runtime for that segment is 20-25 minutes.

The Middle Village (M) portion to Elmhurst portion of the route (basically the Eliot Avenue portion) would become the Q68. The route would have a service increase to run every 10 minutes during the rush hour, but during midday periods, would run every 30 minutes (instead of every 20 minutes). 20 minute headways would still exist during the shoulder periods. The last stop for the Q68 would be at 59 Avenue/92 Street, and the first stop would be at 57 Avenue/92 Street.

The LeFrak City portion would become the Q78. Service would also be increased to run every 10 minutes during peak periods, and 15 minutes during midday hours, due to overcrowding, short runtime, or both. Q78 buses would originate with the Q88 and terminate with the Q88 on 92 Street. Three buses would be needed during weekday rush hours, and two bus at all other times. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, it might seem a little too much to divide the services like this (especially to have a LeFrak City Shuttle operate on its own), however all three routes signify the different ridership patterns on the line more or less. There are few riders from the Eliot Avenue segment taking the bus past the (M) and getting off along the Penelope Avenue portion. There is no need for such service pattern. Also, the MTA has not increased frequency despite constant increases in buses. On the northern portion of the line, the route sometimes flags people since there isn't enough space to fit everybody. On the southern portion though, there are relatively few standees, but they're not empty either (buses are usually SRO). 

The southern and the Eliot Avenue segment of the northern portion do not need 20 minute headways. 30 minute headways should be sufficient. LeFrak City and surrounding areas do use the bus on that side of the northern portion of the route, so that is the only segment of the route which would retain the 20 minute headways. There would also be some minor improvements to headways during the shoulder period. 

During the rush hour, there would be 3 buses for the Q78, 6 buses for the Q68, and 5 buses for the Q38. The Q38 currently needs 10 buses during the AM rush, and 12 during the PM rush. However, just a reminder that there are service improvements on some of the segments, so that is why there are more buses in general. 

During middays, there would be 2 buses for the Q78, 2 buses for the Q68, and 2 buses for the Q38. The Q38 currently needs 6 buses, so the amount of buses stay the same.

During early evening hours, there would be 2 buses for the Q78, 3 for the Q68, and 2 for the Q38. The Q38 currently needs 4-7 buses (because levels vary during those times). During late evening hours, the Q68 and Q78 would each use one less bus (Late evening to me is after 9 PM). 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This would also help keep the bunching to a minimum, as buses would only have to deal with one certain chokepoint (if any), instead of multiple at the same time, increasing reliability.

Alternatively, the eastern and western segments of the northern portion could remain as one bus route (Q68). The route would run every 10 minutes during the rush hour, 20 minutes during the midday hours, 20 minutes during the early evening hour, 30 during late evening hours. For that, 8 buses would be needed during peak periods, 4 during middays and early evenings, and 2 during late evening hours.

While I agree that the Q38 should be split up, I don't agree that service should resemble that of the days of Triboro... Don't know if you realize it or not, but you are bringing back VERY old routing patterns w/ this plan..... Your "Q38" was the Q38 that ran b/w Middle Village & Forest Hills.... Your "Q68" was (more or less) the Q50 that ran b/w Middle Village & Rego Park (you have yours running to QCM instead)... Your "Q78" is one half of the "extended" Q45 that ran past its then regular terminal of Caldwell/Eliot, to 98th st in Corona (before Lefrak was ever built).....

I have a serious problem with the premise behind this whole plan.... For starters, the rationale you use to justify it (because the 3 routes of yours represent current ridership patterns).....We are talking about a route that sees around 10k riders/weekday (being generous), and you want to divvy up that ridership into 3 routes? The whole splitting up of the Q38 shouldn't be centered around fixing issues with distribution of service levels...

I'm not getting into the whole BPH & the number of total physical buses that should be allocated for each route, because quite frankly, the overall plan does nothing to spur ridership on the route(s)... You look at the current network in that general area of Queens & you see a route like the Q58 pulling in as much riders that it does, because you have a route like the Q38 that doesn't run south of Metropolitan av.... It cripples the network, which is why I have to believe nothing should be terminating in Middle Village (not even the Q67).... It was good that the Q45 got extended past Eliot (although it took that joke that is Atlas mall for the MTA to be intrigued enough to have done it).... One of the Q38 spurs should run to Ridgewood; where within the neighborhood is debatable/another topic......

The Q17 has seen a decrease in ridership for a while and I think the biggest issue with that route comes from the short turns itself. The route is really at its worst during the afternoon hours between 2-5pm. There is just too many buses going to Fresh Meadows 188th street than to Jamaica. You can sometimes have three buses short turned before you see one actually going to Jamaica. I would just get rid of the short turns completely because the Q17 north of 188th and Horace Harding has several alternatives. You can take the Q88 to any Flushing bound bus or the Q88 to the Q25 anyway if you seek service between Flushing and Horace Harding Expressway via Kissena Blvd. Since there are alternatives it would make sense to have all buses run the full route. The Q17 bunches up so bad that you could 5 buses back to back and that causes huge gaps in service.

Now a second thing they could do which I can also see work is split the Q17 between Casey Stengel and Jamaica. CS would run the Q17 school trippers and the short turns while Jamaica does the regular full route and everything else. This would just organize the service and I could see reliability improving. However I'm more in favor of just eliminating all short turns and have them run the full length and take out some service if needed.

You can argue that there are too many short turns, but the basic notion of short turning the Q17 at Fresh Meadows has not hampered it, I'm sorry....

The fact of the matter is, there's a much higher concentration of riders that consistently use the Q17 out of Flushing than out of Jamaica - with those riders generally not riding past Fresh Meadows much.... Even though more of the Jamaica riders ride past Fresh Meadows, still, having every single Q17 running the full route would be nothing short of wasteful.....

....Secondly, the Q12 REALLY needs artics. The number of people that ride the route is sufficient enough for the MTA to conclude that the Q12 deserves artics.

no doubt that Northern Blvd isn't getting the love it deserves, but arctics were tested (not in service), but the MTA concluded that it would be too difficult to turn the buses around.

I applaud the MTA for not having went ahead with putting artics on the Q12... The Q13 has to be factored into the mix...

Peak service would have been worse than it is now for Q12 northern blvd riders.... Furthermore, usage on the Q12 in general takes a nose dive east of Bell; I'm not fooled with the crowds on the route past that point - it's due to buses not being uniform/on time more so than anything.... Waits of 15-20 mins. on the very eastern end (Westmoreland) are not uncommon... It's like buses vanish somewhere along the route, that's one thing that's always bugged me about the Q12....

Reliability is far more of an issue than capacity is on that route.... As Jubai brought up, it only pulls around 11k total riders.... Northern Blvd (east of Sanford/165th) usage is comprised of Q12 & Q13 riders.... How much riders the Q13 takes off the Q12's hands b/w Flushing & Bell is greatly significant.... How much time the Q13 saves along Northern Blvd west of the LIRR Broadway area, compared to the Q12 along Sanford also has to be taken into consideration.....

I'm not so sure it's an issue of Nothern blvd (east) not getting the quote-unquote love it deserves.....

I'm not with this *throw artics on the Q12* parade either, but by the same token, it's pointless to send the Q12 anywhere west of Flushing.... Let the Q19, Q66, and even the Q48 (as much as that route was being talked about 2 weeks or so ago on here) handle that task....

Given how the Q13 runs along the Q12 from Sanford/Northern to Bell Blvd, I don't think that it will be harmful in any way. The Q13 runs every 6 minutes to Flushing during the height of the rush. Yes, the Q13 takes longer to get to Flushing because it uses Northern Blvd, but there are still options for riders. Only difference is in the PM, where riders would have to make up their mind on which bus they will travel on. A Q12 LIMITED, at the very least for rush hour travel, could work.

You don't think what would be harmful? Artics on the Q12 in juxtaposition to the Q13.....

Northern Blvd (east) does not need all that bus capacity.... 60' running every 10 minutes east of Sanford/165th along w/ Q13's running every 6.... 40' on both routes are fine, the MTA needs to fix the reliability issues on the Q12 (if it even can).....

As far as riders making up their mind, I'd argue they already have:

The 13 if they want to avoid the slow crawl of the 12 along Sanford & the 12 if riders are riding well past, say, Francis Lewis....  Of course, it also depends on (in Flushing) making the trek 1 block north to 39th (to me, it's immaterial b/c I don't care for either pickup area (where the Q12/15/26 does, or where the Q13/16/28 does - but I do tend to slightly favor the latter over the former)....

On page 69 of the NE Queens Bus Study, they mention that they're looking into limited-stop service, and a limited-zone service (basically, nonstop service between Flushing and some other point like 165th or Bell Blvd, and then local stops the rest of the way)

If you just run the full-length buses limited and leave the short-turn buses local, that's enough service for all groups, especially when you throw the Q13 into the mix.

And a westward extension would only serve to make the Q12 more unreliable. The PW Branch already provides direct service westward from points east of Flushing (for riders seeking Woodside, and Elmhurst when it opens)

Yeah, I would favor LTD service over putting artics on the route.... Let's just hope LTD service on the Q12 isn't future fodder for SBS along Northern Blvd (say b/w 51st & Glenwood)....

Edited by B35 via Church

-split post, from above-

The Q34 helps those people that used the Q14 south of WP Blvd. Don't think it qualifies for a complete elimination.....

The Q34 is & has always been the alternate for (the more elderly) Mitchell Gardens patrons that want an emptier bus (compared to the Q20/44).... The Willets pt. portion is mainly schoolkids utilizing the route.... The folks that used the old Q14 are taking Q15's now (that's why ridership went up significantly on that route the past 10 years or so)... The Q15 always had more riders than the Q14, but more riders sought the Q34 over the Q14 towards Flushing (for whatever the reason).... The Q14 was never a popular route, sadly (I would compare it with the Q26 in terms of overall usage)....

On paper, I agree with cutting the 34 south of downtown Flushing.... From a purely logistical vantage point though, I don't see that as being all too plausible; there are enough buses terminating in the heart of Flushing....

----

side note... For those of you that want to combine the Q48 with something in Flushing, how about a Q48 running b/w Willets pt/149th & LGA via Mitchell Gardens ?

What do you think? 

I could tell you what I think, but it would be a "serious" reply..... I don't know how to do a "for fun" reply.....

Lets talk about the Q10 for a while now...

Me, being a regular rider of the Q10, have heard many people complain that it needs Select Bus Service.

What do you think about what people are saying. In my opinion, I don't think it is necessary.

To be frank, I'd say whoever is clamoring for SBS service on the Q10 is falling prey to the hype.... Lefferts Blvd does not need SBS, I agree with you.

You don't think what would be harmful? Artics on the Q12 in juxtaposition to the Q13.....

Northern Blvd (east) does not need all that bus capacity.... 60' running every 10 minutes east of Sanford/165th along w/ Q13's running every 6.... 40' on both routes are fine, the MTA needs to fix the reliability issues on the Q12 (if it even can).....

As far as riders making up their mind, I'd argue they already have:

The 13 if they want to avoid the slow crawl of the 12 along Sanford & the 12 if riders are riding well past, say, Francis Lewis....  Of course, it also depends on (in Flushing) making the trek 1 block north to 39th (to me, it's immaterial b/c I don't care for either pickup area (where the Q12/15/26 does, or where the Q13/16/28 does - but I do tend to slightly favor the latter over the former)....

I was talking about a Q12 LTD, in response to Jubai's comment that it doesn't need artics or LTD's. Artics would be trickier to implement on the Q12, for several reasons.

While I agree that the Q38 should be split up, I don't agree that service should resemble that of the days of Triboro... Don't know if you realize it or not, but you are bringing back VERY old routing patterns w/ this plan..... Your "Q38" was the Q38 that ran b/w Middle Village & Forest Hills.... Your "Q68" was (more or less) the Q50 that ran b/w Middle Village & Rego Park (you have yours running to QCM instead)... Your "Q78" is one half of the "extended" Q45 that ran past its then regular terminal of Caldwell/Eliot, to 98th st in Corona (before Lefrak was ever built).....

I have a serious problem with the premise behind this whole plan.... For starters, the rationale you use to justify it (because the 3 routes of yours represent current ridership patterns).....We are talking about a route that sees around 10k riders/weekday (being generous), and you want to divvy up that ridership into 3 routes? The whole splitting up of the Q38 shouldn't be centered around fixing issues with distribution of service levels...

I'm not getting into the whole BPH & the number of total physical buses that should be allocated for each route, because quite frankly, the overall plan does nothing to spur ridership on the route(s)... You look at the current network in that general area of Queens & you see a route like the Q58 pulling in as much riders that it does, because you have a route like the Q38 that doesn't run south of Metropolitan av.... It cripples the network, which is why I have to believe nothing should be terminating in Middle Village (not even the Q67).... It was good that the Q45 got extended past Eliot (although it took that joke that is Atlas mall for the MTA to be intrigued enough to have done it).... One of the Q38 spurs should run to Ridgewood; where within the neighborhood is debatable/another topic......

The current headways in the entire route as it is is either insufficient or too much, or both at the same time. I would be more focused on fixing those issues first, and any issues with reliability. During rush hours, reliability goes out the window, due to passenger volume, traffic, or the thin streets in the southern portion of the route which throw it off. LeFrak City has its own problem with trucks and vans all over the place and sometimes blocking stops, and traffic lanes. This way, not everyone suffers from unreliability. Afterward, there could be talks to extend one of the branches towards Ridgewood.

As for which route to extend, I would be inclined to extend the Eliot Avenue portion to Ridgewood (it would be the more reliable of the three routes after the split). For the Q67, where could it go, theoretically speaking? I've heard that the route was suppose to have gone down to Fresh Pond/Myrtle but was not done. Perhaps it can terminate in Glendale (with the QM24/QM25)? It reduces travel time to East Midtown, and for some Midtown riders, they won't have to take the (M) through Brooklyn to Manhattan. 

Edited by BM5 via WOODHAVEN BL

The current headways in the entire route as it is is either insufficient or too much, or both at the same time. I would be more focused on fixing those issues first, and any issues with reliability. During rush hours, reliability goes out the window, due to passenger volume, traffic, or the thin streets in the southern portion of the route which throw it off. LeFrak City has its own problem with trucks and vans all over the place and sometimes blocking stops, and traffic lanes. This way, not everyone suffers from unreliability. Afterward, there could be talks to extend one of the branches towards Ridgewood.

I'm not disagreeing with your points, I'm disagreeing with your end solution to rectify said points/matters.....

You don't need to break up the route then, if that's your focus.... You're basically implicating that the Q38 physical routing is fine, but the problem you have with it, is purely operational....

As for which route to extend, I would be inclined to extend the Eliot Avenue portion to Ridgewood (it would be the more reliable of the three routes after the split).

For the Q67, where could it go, theoretically speaking? I've heard that the route was suppose to have gone down to Fresh Pond/Myrtle but was not done. Perhaps it can terminate in Glendale (with the QM24/QM25)? It reduces travel time to East Midtown, and for some Midtown riders, they won't have to take the (M) through Brooklyn to Manhattan. 

Either to Atlas, to Myrtle/Cooper, Myrtle/80th, or to the ForestView Crescent co-ops.... Yes, those are all in the opposite direction from the (M) at 69th/Metropolitan & I would be perfectly fine with that.... The Q67 should be one of the few commuter locals (M98, B103) in the entire bus system.... It isn't like the footprint hasn't already been created - the MTA simply needs to build on it.... IMO, it isn't all too difficult to do, as I believe the latent ridership is there for an extension to any one of those 4 locations [for atlas, not so much to the mall in-particular, but the residences around the mall]....

Edited by B35 via Church

The Q34 helps those people that used the Q14 south of WP Blvd. Don't think it qualifies for a complete elimination.

What I believe should happen is whenever the Q25 LTD operates, it's LTD only, with all the Q34s running to Jamaica whenever the LTD runs. That way the Q34 gets a bit more usage and at least take a few off the Q25. (We know we want ltd over local)

The Q34 would remain but it would only run between Flushing and Whitestone.

The Q25( old Q34 runs) would run short turns between Flushing and Jamaica.

All other Q25 trips remain the same with minor adjustments.

which one of the Express Buses in queens would warrant 24 hour service?

None really but if you were to make one of them a 24 hour service it would probably be the QM5 

Agreed, though they could perhaps run service a tad later on weekends back to Queens.  The folks out in Queens don't seem to go to and from Manhattan like that, but I would run the QM2 and the QM5 or QM6 later.  A bus or two on each line and that would be more than reasonable.