LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

Does anyone know how/if westbound track assignments are going to change at Jamaica once Grand Central Madison opens?

For example, Would all trains to Grand Central Madison arrive on tracks 1 and 2 and trains to Penn Station arrive on Tracks 3 and 4? Or, do you think they will alternate trains for easy same-platform transfers between terminals?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/2/2022 at 2:18 PM, N6 Limited said:

Does anyone know how/if westbound track assignments are going to change at Jamaica once Grand Central Madison opens?

For example, Would all trains to Grand Central Madison arrive on tracks 1 and 2 and trains to Penn Station arrive on Tracks 3 and 4? Or, do you think they will alternate trains for easy same-platform transfers between terminals?

I think it would make sense to alternate since otherwise west of Jamaica trains would need to switch again, since the service to the local stops is going to alternate 

Two-way (Westbound) service Is now available at Elmont - UBS Arena Station.

On 10/4/2022 at 7:04 AM, darkstar8983 said:

I think it would make sense to alternate since otherwise west of Jamaica trains would need to switch again, since the service to the local stops is going to alternate 

I agree. I believe on one of their videos they show alternating trains on tracks 1-3 for service to Penn and GCM.

• 2 weeks later...

LIRR M7 #7494 and its mate has clear windows on its southern side. As yall know most M7s windows on the southern side are messed up due to the sun.

NJ Transit MLV fleet has the same problem but on BOTH sides of the car due to looping at Sunnyside so NJT plans to replace the windows on its MLV fleet. Let's hope LIRR follows suit with its M7 fleet.

Edited by trainfan22

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

LIRR M7 #7494 and its mate has clear windows on its southern side. As yall know most M7s windows on the southern side are messed up due to the sun.

NJ Transit MLV fleet has the same problem but on BOTH sides of the car due to looping at Sunnyside so NJT plans to replace the windows on its MLV fleet. Let's hope LIRR follows suit with its M7 fleet.

What do you mean by “messed up”? Is this an issue on the M8/9 fleets as well? 

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What do you mean by “messed up”? Is this an issue on the M8/9 fleets as well? 

This blog post explains it better than I could 

https://www.thelirrtoday.com/2019/09/m-7-window-splotching.html?m=1

The M8s windows are still clear on both sides of the train and the M9s will have the same problem as the M7s do on the southern windows.

On 10/15/2022 at 1:14 AM, trainfan22 said:

This blog post explains it better than I could 

https://www.thelirrtoday.com/2019/09/m-7-window-splotching.html?m=1

The M8s windows are still clear on both sides of the train and the M9s will have the same problem as the M7s do on the southern windows.

That is so weird. It seems like LIRR uses different cleaning chemicals than MNRR as far as I can tell, which is a big factor here? It's so hard to believe that MNRR avoided this problem but LIRR can't figure it out.

6 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That is so weird. It seems like LIRR uses different cleaning chemicals than MNRR as far as I can tell, which is a big factor here? It's so hard to believe that MNRR avoided this problem but LIRR can't figure it out.

I always thought there was some sort of film that went over the windows to protect them. If so, why can't they just replace that? Metro-North doesn't have such issues from what I've personally experienced anyway.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I always thought there was some sort of film that went over the windows to protect them. If so, why can't they just replace that? Metro-North doesn't have such issues from what I've personally experienced anyway.

With all of those LIRR maintenance workers scamming the system for hundreds of thousands of overtime dollars, you'd think at least they could keep the windows clear! This isn't an issue on any buses, either, that I've ever seen, and they get lots of sun exposure over the years

46 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

With all of those LIRR maintenance workers scamming the system for hundreds of thousands of overtime dollars, you'd think at least they could keep the windows clear! This isn't an issue on any buses, either, that I've ever seen, and they get lots of sun exposure over the years

I forgot about that. LOL Yeah, they sometimes make more in OT than they do their regular salary and they aren't even working. Just crazy.

On 10/14/2022 at 7:54 PM, trainfan22 said:

Oooohh those Multilevel windows are AWFUL....

On 9/10/2022 at 1:22 AM, Trainmaster5 said:

Rename Nostrand Avenue? Only the eastbound platform is in Crown Heights. The westbound platform is in Bedford-Stuyvesant. Atlantic Avenue is the dividing line between the two neighborhoods. 😁

Yeah, Nostrand Av is good. No worst thing in the world than people doing too much...🤦‍♂️

On 10/23/2022 at 11:41 AM, Lawrence St said:

How did LIRR add a third track without modifying the ROW?

4826-R8-LIRR-Expansion-Project-edit.png

The dashed blue lines represents new track that was laid out...

The short answer to your question is that the trackage of the OB branch & the Hempstead branch allowed for potential track spacing along the Main line b/w Floral Park & Hicksville...

On 10/2/2022 at 2:18 PM, N6 Limited said:

I think the only big change is for the Atlantic Terminal trains, the shuttles will be on tracks 11/12. I don't know if those hourly West Hempstead trains are also on that platform.

54 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

I think the only big change is for the Atlantic Terminal trains, the shuttles will be on tracks 11/12. I don't know if those hourly West Hempstead trains are also on that platform.

I seriously doubt it. Assuming it's even possible to go there from the east-of-Jamaica Montauk and Atlantic branches, it would be an insanely tight squeeze, particularly with all of those eastbound and terminating trains in the vicinity.

46 minutes ago, mfs NJT459 said:

Why are people not so hype about Reduced Aspect Signals “R.A.S.” on the LIRR vs the position light signals?  If they were to keep the position light signals, then just make them brighter and LED efficiant

Cause railfans generally don't like change. IIRC the position light signals date back to the PRR days and is one of last remaining things from the "old school" LIRR along with the M3s and MP15 locomotives.

Speaking of MP15s, when does the LIRR plan to replace them? They are from the 70s and I've heard they have to run at restricted speed because they are in such poor condition. 

On 10/30/2022 at 8:39 AM, B35 via Church said:

4826-R8-LIRR-Expansion-Project-edit.png

The dashed blue lines represents new track that was laid out...

The short answer to your question is that the trackage of the OB branch & the Hempstead branch allowed for potential track spacing along the Main line b/w Floral Park & Hicksville...

Still not a big fan of having both Oyster Bay tracks arriving on one track especially if they are all continuing to Jamaica/further west, but I guess with the budget that is all that is allowed for without going into deep tunneling/spacing constraints,

Same thing goes with the conflict with the Hempstead Branch at Floral Park, granted MTA probably will be content with continuing to run crap service on that branch anyways

Also for Mineola, instead of having complete open access to the bus platforms, MTA HAD to put a fence in to separate the railroad from the bus terminal. So much for "intermodal"