LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

49 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The Long Island Railroad M3 pair #9945-9946 has PTC equipped. It was seen today at Nostrand Av on the Atlantic Shuttle as the last car (8 car train) making a super express trip from Atlantic to Jamaica PM peak hour. 1 out of 3 M3 trains on the City Line in Brooklyn. 

A super express on a shuttle line? 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

A super express on a shuttle line? 

On the Atlantic Terminal, there are peak trains that only stops and ends at Jamaica station, PM peak hours. It skips Nostrand Av and East New York. 

I see that on the Metro North, while on-board an Amtrak to Albany, the M3As don't have that repaint body like how LIRR does on some of their M3s. They still kept their signature blue stripe but LIRR is mixed. That also applies to their logo that Metro North is visible while the LIRR M3s can have 3 logos on the side of their unit. 

The LIRR M3s are in bad shape and break down a lot, doubt MN would want them or even need them.

Metro North would probably take extra dual modes before extra MUs. I remember reading a few years ago spare parts are getting scarce since GE stopped making parts for the P32, also low spare factor. If this is factual or rumor, I don't know.

The P32 was a good engine in its heyday unlike the LIRR diesels which were always kind of meh, but the P32s are supposedly starting to struggle from what I read a couple years back. 

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The LIRR M3s are in bad shape and break down a lot, doubt MN would want them or even need them.

Metro North would probably take extra dual modes before extra MUs. I remember reading a few years ago spare parts are getting scarce since GE stopped making parts for the P32, also low spare factor. If this is factual or rumor, I don't know.

The P32 was a good engine in its heyday unlike the LIRR diesels which were always kind of meh, but the P32s are supposedly starting to struggle from what I read a couple years back. 

That's not even getting into the investment in third rail shoes for cars that won't be around for too much longer.

On 5/6/2023 at 8:18 PM, trainfan22 said:

The LI M3s are fine. They haven't been breaking down much recently.

Starting May 22nd, Monday: On the LIRR Atlantic Terminal branch, some trains will have another train behind as one will be making only its one stop to or from their said terminal while another train will make the stop at East New York and Nostrand Av. The West Hempstead branch remains the same and the peak trip on the Hempstead and select peak trips on Babylon to and from Freeport. 

https://new.mta.info/document/110546

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Starting May 22nd, Monday: On the LIRR Atlantic Terminal branch, some trains will have another train behind as one will be making only its one stop to or from their said terminal while another train will make the stop at East New York and Nostrand Av. The West Hempstead branch remains the same and the peak trip on the Hempstead and select peak trips on Babylon to and from Freeport. 

Someone approved this.

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

So basically, they cut the service to/from Brooklyn to every 30 minutes, like it used to be, LOL. Knowing them, at some point they might end up having two 10-car sets for the bunched up trains , and then have an 8-car train for the interval with only one train. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

12 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

So basically, they cut the service to/from Brooklyn to every 30 minutes, like it used to be, LOL. Knowing them, at some point they might end up having two 10-car sets for the bunched up trains , and then have an 8-car train for the interval with only one train. 

Am I the only one who sees this as adding lipstick to a pig? Why have express service on a city branch where every station has equal or less ridership?

51 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Equipment is randomly rotated on trains. No train has a set amount of cars. The only time when a train has a set amount of cars is when capacity is exceeded on a regular basis.

Edited by xD4nn

4 hours ago, Calvin said:

This only legitimately saves one minute…

17 hours ago, Calvin said:

Why is this even a thing, just bring back some trains from Long Island and call it a day. People have been very vocal in losing their one seat ride to Brooklyn and this is the best they can do? West Hempstead in my opinion is just a glorified shuttle in my eyes that maintains the old connection from track 3 at Jamaica but other than that the trains are near empty. It does not even stop at Valley Stream which could help make the line a bit more useful for those heading to West Hempstead and those heading to Brooklyn. 

For the first time in a few years I rode an LIRR M3 today. I just waited for one to show up at Penn Station during the PM Rush:lol: 

It was an great ride as always, nice throwback to how commuters commuted from the 60s though 90s before the M7s took over the LIRR MU fleet. And yes I know the M3s debuted in the 80s but from a passenger perspective there was little to no difference between the old M1 cars and M3s.

At one point this evening there was three M3 sets at Jamaica at the same time, one on a Brentwood bound train, one on a Babylon Branch train and another on the Brooklyn shuttle. Loving the diversity on LIRR right now.

Looking at the new Greenport Branch schedule, it's good that they shifted the train later, but with the stopping patterns of the electric trains, riders from Mineola and Hicksville don't see any benefit.

Under the current schedule, riders from Hicksville need to take the 5:39pm train and transfer in Brentwood to reach the 6:24pm departure. Riders from Mineola need to take the 5:28pm and wait 13 minutes at Ronkonkoma to catch the 6:24pm departure.

Under the new schedule, the departure time is 7:01pm, which is good for riders coming from Jamaica and points west (as well as Bethpage and points east), but unfortunately doesn't benefit riders coming from points on the Main Line.

On 5/3/2023 at 5:58 AM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

At Grand Central, I've noticed a Metro-North departure board on the LIRR concourse. Will LIRR be allowed to install a departure board upstairs?

Finally saw LIRR departure boards upstairs. One on dining concourse, two on main concourse. There may be more.

What is the Purpose of the LIRR having West Hempstead Branch service. It seems like a wasteful service. There barely be any people using those trains. The train doesn't even stop at Valley Stream. They should just cut service on that line and use the service for somewhere else. And besides you got the nearby Hempstead train station.