LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

@EphraimB  - Can't help you there. I'm content when the trains show up on time and the ride is uneventful. I don't think they even run the M9's on the Port Wash branch (at least I haven't seen one). I happened to like the older trains from the early-mid 1980's with the red and blue seats. Those trains bounce a little bit when going down the tracks. It lets you know you're headed somewhere. Stay safe.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

@EphraimB  - Can't help you there. I'm content when the trains show up on time and the ride is uneventful. I don't think they even run the M9's on the Port Wash branch (at least I haven't seen one). I happened to like the older trains from the early-mid 1980's with the red and blue seats. Those trains bounce a little bit when going down the tracks. It lets you know you're headed somewhere. Stay safe.

M9’s do show up on the PW branch although more rare compared to all the other ones. 

58 minutes ago, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

Theres a 6, 8 and 12 car set. Since Port Wash is 10 car platforms mostly, it doesn't get a lot of attention. Maybe when the next few cars are in service.

On 1/15/2020 at 3:08 PM, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

I have ridden it on Port Wash.

49400744867_f31a409a9a_z.jpgScreen Shot 2020-01-17 at 3.30.09 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

49400064548_5b6b593772_c.jpgScreen Shot 2020-01-17 at 3.31.05 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Has anyone heard of the new myLIRR app??

I'm surprised this new app hasn't been advertised on trains or posted in this forum. Its GREAT. The myLIRR internet version and the LIRR train time app combined. 

I'm definitely deleting LIRR train time. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I'm surprised this new app hasn't been advertised on trains or posted in this forum. Its GREAT. The myLIRR internet version and the LIRR train time app combined. 

Train Time and the e-Tix app are pretty much integrated anyway.  I've found the MNRR app to be more reliable. I've had a few instances on weekends when I've been trying to catch an express bus train back to Penn Station, and the stupid LIRR e-Tix app was trying to charge me for a PEAK ticket! Only after several tries would it take me to the City Ticket option.

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I love myLIRR’s live map and train car information.

I can’t wait until they roll out myMNR. Hopefully it’s as awesome as myLIRR is.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Train Time and the e-Tix app are pretty much integrated anyway.  I've found the MNRR app to be more reliable. I've had a few instances on weekends when I've been trying to catch an express bus train back to Penn Station, and the stupid LIRR e-Tix app was trying to charge me for a PEAK ticket! Only after several tries would it take me to the City Ticket option.

Meant to write express train... Damn auto correct...

5 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I love myLIRR’s live map and train car information.

I can’t wait until they roll out myMNR. Hopefully it’s as awesome as myLIRR is.

It's only available on iOS at the moment. They're probably going to wait until the Android version is released (if there's going to be one) to advertise.

Quick rant...

Today on the 4:49pm express to Port Jefferson, racist conductor showed discrimination and only asked me in the entire car to drop the barcode down and scanned my ticket...everyone else with a mobile ticket just got a quick glance and good to go. I have his picture and I want to report him. It's embarrassing and if you're gonna scan tickets do it to EVERYONE. 

Those conductor jobs are pointless anyways, cannot wait till they're all replaced with technology. 90% of them are rude a**holes. 

47 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Quick rant...

Today on the 4:49pm express to Port Jefferson, racist conductor showed discrimination and only asked me in the entire car to drop the barcode down and scanned my ticket...everyone else with a mobile ticket just got a quick glance and good to go. I have his picture and I want to report him. It's embarrassing and if you're gonna scan tickets do it to EVERYONE. 

Those conductor jobs are pointless anyways, cannot wait till they're all replaced with technology. 90% of them are rude a**holes. 

Is it possible that those are commuters the conductor sees on a daily basis and they already checked their tickets this week/month?

49 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Is it possible that those are commuters the conductor sees on a daily basis and they already checked their tickets this week/month?

I doubt he'll remember a whole half train of people. Whats the point of scanning the mobile ticket if it shows the DATE, TIME, and TYPE OF TICKET right on the front. 

22 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I doubt he'll remember a whole half train of people. Whats the point of scanning the mobile ticket if it shows the DATE, TIME, and TYPE OF TICKET right on the front. 

It's totally possible to remember a lot of passengers if you're a regular crew. I even know passengers names and I'm up front.

As far as etix there is a flag on particular e-tix that require them to be scanned. This is due to passengers fare beating by flashing a different etix quickly to catch the Conductor not paying attention, or photoshopping old tickets to false details.

As far as relishing peoples livelihoods being ruined, I can't stop you from relishing in that outcome, that's on you to feel whatever hate you feel. But which is more likely the fact that a Conductor bypassed an entire car and singled you out for racial motivations to be the only fare collected a particular way, or that your subjective view is skewing the actions of an individual when there are several rational explanations for the same action.

And if you do feel that's the case then actually report it, all the C3s have cameras, put it in while the footage is still good and it can be looked in to. I dont like racists, let's find some.

6 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

It's totally possible to remember a lot of passengers if you're a regular crew. I even know passengers names and I'm up front.

As far as etix there is a flag on particular e-tix that require them to be scanned. This is due to passengers fare beating by flashing a different etix quickly to catch the Conductor not paying attention, or photoshopping old tickets to false details.

As far as relishing peoples livelihoods being ruined, I can't stop you from relishing in that outcome, that's on you to feel whatever hate you feel. But which is more likely the fact that a Conductor bypassed an entire car and singled you out for racial motivations to be the only fare collected a particular way, or that your subjective view is skewing the actions of an individual when there are several rational explanations for the same action.

And if you do feel that's the case then actually report it, all the C3s have cameras, put it in while the footage is still good and it can be looked in to. I dont like racists, let's find some.

See I never knew about the different ticket types, I thought all ETix had the same activation screen. I called the conductor out on it when getting off, and he apologized that I felt a way and explained that certain tickets require them to be scanned. I told him I take the LIRR all the time and the conductor has NEVER done that before. 

I don't see how one can farebeat an ETix, especially when the date and time are right there MOVING back and forth. I can understand if one screen records and saves it, but then that wouldn't be the correct date and time. 

But next time I'll show my ticket and I'll drop down the barcode, maybe that'll stop them from scanning and just doing the regular check and go. 

I'm just saying we live in a society where there's lots of racial tension and if I notice anything that's odd or singles myself out I'm gonna speak up on it. Some people try to take advantage of others thinking nothing will happen or it won't get reported. (I took his photo when he walked back down, full face and all, I was ready). 

Thanks for the note though, I'll save it for future references. 

Also, about the jobs. I'm all for jobs, but in the heat of the moment, and people observing how he scanned my ticket and just glanced at theres, I was embarrassed at how they were looking at me, the entire train ride I was heated. 

To be quite honest with you, EVERYONES ticket should be scanned, monthly, weekly, or single rides, because you're losing a lot more money if people are cheating month tickets. 

The LIRR should've thought that through, any actions that involve singling certain riders from others is obviously going to lead to some tension and complaints. That's a bad rule IMO and I'm glad every conductor I had never scanned my ticket. 

Treat all the same or none at all. 

3 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I'm just saying we live in a society where there's lots of racial tension and if I notice anything that's odd or singles myself out I'm gonna speak up on it.

Part of that due to society being programmed to cultivate it. But, automatically assuming something is because of race doesn't help. 

16 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

See I never knew about the different ticket types, I thought all ETix had the same activation screen. I called the conductor out on it when getting off, and he apologized that I felt a way and explained that certain tickets require them to be scanned. I told him I take the LIRR all the time and the conductor has NEVER done that before. 

I don't see how one can farebeat an ETix, especially when the date and time are right there MOVING back and forth. I can understand if one screen records and saves it, but then that wouldn't be the correct date and time. 

But next time I'll show my ticket and I'll drop down the barcode, maybe that'll stop them from scanning and just doing the regular check and go. 

I'm just saying we live in a society where there's lots of racial tension and if I notice anything that's odd or singles myself out I'm gonna speak up on it. Some people try to take advantage of others thinking nothing will happen or it won't get reported. (I took his photo when he walked back down, full face and all, I was ready). 

Thanks for the note though, I'll save it for future references. 

Also, about the jobs. I'm all for jobs, but in the heat of the moment, and people observing how he scanned my ticket and just glanced at theres, I was embarrassed at how they were looking at me, the entire train ride I was heated. 

To be quite honest with you, EVERYONES ticket should be scanned, monthly, weekly, or single rides, because you're losing a lot more money if people are cheating month tickets. 

The LIRR should've thought that through, any actions that involve singling certain riders from others is obviously going to lead to some tension and complaints. That's a bad rule IMO and I'm glad every conductor I had never scanned my ticket. 

Treat all the same or none at all. 

It's a rollout, so not all crew will have scanners, and it depends on your app, what version, etc. But the scan is going to be the primary method eventually.

@Jsunflyguy @N6 Limited

Spoke with the same conductor again today. I showed him my ticket and dropped the barcode, he laughed. He scanned it and said I was good to go. He told me that he told his boss about the incident, and one of the higher ups about how I felt, and they're looking into different ways on how to do the proof of payment, because the method they were starting to "roll out" is singling people out and it could lead to something more serious depending on how certain people take offense to things. So he said because of me, they're taking it into consideration and he appreciates me for speaking out on the process. I said yeah they should have it so you guys scan everyone's ticket, everyone should get the same treatment.  All around good energy today and I'm now considered a regular to him lol. When leaving the train we both said take care and have a good night. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

On 1/30/2020 at 6:11 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

@Jsunflyguy @N6 Limited

Spoke with the same conductor again today. I showed him my ticket and dropped the barcode, he laughed. He scanned it and said I was good to go. He told me that he told his boss about the incident, and one of the higher ups about how I felt, and they're looking into different ways on how to do the proof of payment, because the method they were starting to "roll out" is singling people out and it could lead to something more serious depending on how certain people take offense to things. So he said because of me, they're taking it into consideration and he appreciates me for speaking out on the process. I said yeah they should have it so you guys scan everyone's ticket, everyone should get the same treatment.  All around good energy today and I'm now considered a regular to him lol. When leaving the train we both said take care and have a good night. 

Good for you to be assertive and actually get some results from your feedback! I still don't understand why the rule isn't that everyone's ticket gets scanned. Boom, problem solved.