S79 SBS bus discussion thread

Amtrak7

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the fare machines may be installed: Terminal A, ETC, Eltingville, New Dorp lane, all bk stops.

Note: the bus is streamlined so it will enter the ETC differently, will not stop at yukon depot, will go through ring rd instead of richmond hill rd.

irrelevant, but X1 will start late night service in2013

Question: ¿Does anyone know how supplemental service will work?

Maybe the fare machines may be installed: Terminal A, ETC, Eltingville, New Dorp lane, all bk stops.

Note: the bus is streamlined so it will enter the ETC differently, will not stop at yukon depot, will go through ring rd instead of richmond hill rd.

irrelevant, but X1 will start late night service in2013

Question: ¿Does anyone know how supplemental service will work?

The S59 and S78 will serve as supplements for the S79 SBS.

Also, there will not be any fare machines at any of the stops due to the fact that they are not used very heavily like other SBS routes.

The S79 will improve overtime. This means eventually there will be off board fare collection and bus lanes will be extended in both distance and time. Frequency: 7 15 9 12 -

12 10 9 10 -

15 12 12 15 -

I hope to scan the brochure before it comes out.

The brochure, not the schedule

Does anyone know what the new S59/S78 frequency will be?

Today i was out on the S79 and it had 2 blue lights at either side. Also, the stops have that SBS thingy above the schedule. The bus lanes are also just about complete.

Well, in general, I think that whenever there's 20 minute headways, they'll cut them down to 15 minutes, and when there's 30 minute headways, they'll cut them down to 20 minutes. Of course, later in the evening, they'll probably keep the 30 minute headways. This applies more to the S59 than the S78. Hopefully the bus lanes will make the S78 more reliable.

I've only taken the M15 a few times, but IIRC, the bus did use the bus lanes for a little bit. I remember it wasn't as painstakingly slow as other Manhattan routes, unless the M15 is just naturally like that.

In any case, there's already some type of bus lane along Hylan Blvd in the New Dorp area, and I know all buses can use that, so I'll assume it applies throughout the route. I guess we'll see.

I don't think local buses are allowed to use the bus lanes, as I never see M15 LCL's using the SBS lane on First and Second Avs...

I've seen local and express buses use the lanes in Staten Island, they are not just for the S79SBS. Plus the S79 SBS will not be as frequent as the M15 SBS therefore allowing other buses to use the lanes.

The S79 will be the first SBS route without overnight service. But I think the B44 should of gotten it first.

The M34/A doesn't have it (but the M16 did pre-2010)

Also, if the MTA wants to change the B44 route and hack off a bunch of stops, they can push it back forever for all I care. As for the S79 coming first, I'd imagine the lack of fare machines really speeds things up, along with not having to prep the depot for artics like the B44 with Flatbush. Let's hope delays like that won't be the case for every artic-using SBS route (or I guess artic routes in general) out of a non-artic depot (The Q44's depot didn't have trouble receiving artics, did it?)

Getting back on-topic, the MTA really improved the S79 schedule.

Sunday service to Staten Island starts almost an hour earlier, and ends almost an hour later in both directions. And 20-minute morning midday service on weekdays was ironed out to every 15 minutes instead, along with a few other added runs early in the morning and late at night.

I don't think local buses are allowed to use the bus lanes, as I never see M15 LCL's using the SBS lane on First and Second Avs...

Correction, they do use the bus lanes. Just not ALL of them!

What? No bus has automated announcements lol

Back in the day, some of our D60HFs had automated announcements.

Slightly little off-peak, (NJT) calls their BRT GoBus, which is not real BRT because it has GoBus wrapped, signal priority, but no dedicated bus lanes.

There isn't really a hard and fast rule about what is and isn't 'Bus Rapid Transit'. Systems can incorporate various aspects including vehicle branding, signal priority, dedicated lanes and/or transitways and various station amenities and designs. Speed and reliability are the key. By the same token, coming up with a spiffy new name and paint scheme and buying BRT-styled buses does not necessarily make a service BRT.

Correction, they do use the bus lanes. Just not ALL of them!

Back in the day, some of our D60HFs had automated announcements.

Digital Recorders right. We have those in all are NABI's. I preferred them over Clever Devices, even before I moved over here.

Archived