S79 SBS bus discussion thread

Amtrak7

As I've always said, it's them trying to pretend that they "remembered" the "forgotten borough". It's not real SBS and I would've just preferred they call it a limited, but what can you do? I also wonder if they were able to get better funding for it by calling it an SBS route.

Since it's only on the M34/34A, B63, and SI routes, as of now it's only for NYCT routes.

BTW, I don't know why the M1 is on your list. The S79 gets higher ridership than it.

Well said. No doubt it was politically motivated to stop the moaning from SI political officals about the "forgotten borough."

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would make the 52 SBS. The reason: If you make the 52 SBS then people will crowd those 53 buses. Make the 53 less crowded by making the 52 SBS.

That is kinda ass-backwards to make a shorter LTD an SBS. The 53 is the one that should be SBS.

While most people here are criticizing the S79 SBS and saying how much of a glorified limited it is, I actually rode it a few times and I like it.

It may not have off-board fare collection, but it's still fast and useful than before.

Agreed, my first two rides Yesterday and on Monday were relatively faster than it used to be.

I rode the s79 SBS from New Dorp Lane to Eltingville Transit Center and thought it was a good idea. The bus made only a handful of stops vs nearly all of them I would have endured had I remained on the x1 for the remainder of the route.

As others have mentioned, I disagree with the SBS designation as it is more like a limited bus and I'm sure that the transit community has created some goodwill amongst the residents of Hylan Blvd with the flashing blue lights.

Also I saw on Monday, bus 4248 which had a Flatbush Ave depot sticker on it.

Edit : I see that there were some moves/exchanges of equipment, so, they redid the exterior from regular local bus colors to SBS colors and forgot to put a Yukon sticker?

Well at least S78 ridership will increase.....

Last night, I saw way more people waiting for 78's (at what's you may as well consider the "local" stops along hylan) than normal.... I will admit though that the ride along the 79 was noticably faster.... Took it from the macy's stop inside SI mall back to Brooklyn.....

I rode the s79 SBS from New Dorp Lane to Eltingville Transit Center and thought it was a good idea. The bus made only a handful of stops vs nearly all of them I would have endured had I remained on the x1 for the remainder of the route.

As others have mentioned, I disagree with the SBS designation as it is more like a limited bus and I'm sure that the transit community has created some goodwill amongst the residents of Hylan Blvd with the flashing blue lights.

Also I saw on Monday, bus 4248 which had a Flatbush Ave depot sticker on it.

Edit : I see that there were some moves/exchanges of equipment, so, they redid the exterior from regular local bus colors to SBS colors and forgot to put a Yukon sticker?

Yukon is just LAZY... They'll get to it whenever... It's pretty normal to see SI buses with other depot decals... I still remember when Charleston first opened... Ay yay yay...

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/09/staten_island_merchants_say_ne.html#incart_river

Source: SI Advance

---

In addition to the posted link above, many motorists complain about having just two lanes to drive in instead of three and say that the bus only lane makes right turns dangerous. Councilmen James Oddo has only given the plan until December to show its worth and if isn't successful, he says the plan should be scraped all together. Others complain about the amount of stops eliminated, particularly ones by schools, arguing that communities are being forced to make two connections while a few save 12 minutes at the most. Typical Staten Island behavior... LOL

I think the S59 should get rid of the loop by Forest Hill Road, at least going northbound. The northbound stops are on the same side of the street as that shopping mall anyway. The southbound loop might be worth keeping to avoid having people cross Richmond Avenue with bags coming from the shopping center (this only applies to riders going to the South Shore)

I think that the schools along the S79 SBS should have the S79 bus service with the additional bus stops near the schools. Service to additional bus stops near schools should have service on weekdays in both directions from morning 6:30 to 8:30 am and 2:30 to 5:30 pm. For the merchants build a drive tru next to shop. For motorists tell them to use alternative routes if they don't like the traffic on Hylan Blvd.

There are already stops by pretty much all the middle & high schools along the route. The people were complaining about students living along Hylan Blvd and everything having to make a transfer if they lived near a local stop. I mean, just deal with it. If I can walk to a limited stop, so can they. If they have a disability or something, then I feel sorry for them, but that shouldn't justify the bus having to make all those extra stops.

Those people don't know what they're talking about. There was a politician who said "They're making it a limited service bus instead of a full-service bus". Like WTF???? And he's like "they already eliminated 2 routes". Tell me then Mr. Politician. Which routes were eliminated? The S60 is covered by the S66. Weekend service was eliminated on the S54 and S76 (as well as the western part of the S42 and Grymes Hill, since the S66 doesn't run weekends), but the physical route is still there. Even if you wanted to count the S60, where is this mysterious second route?

And then of course, you have the idiots who say "Oh, nobody rides those buses". Yeah, stand at the corner of 92nd & Fort Hamilton and tell that to the people on the buses. :rolleyes:

Its actually rather simple with public transportation...you can't make everyone happy.

/thread lmao.

Tell me about it. We're the first borough to scream "We don't have enough transit" and when they try to improve the transit, we complain that it affects the cars. And if we tried to make it so it doesn't affect the cars, we'd complain about the cost of it. (Of course, I'm not part of this "we").

Ya gotta love this borough.

Oh please, these people need to STFU......... Oh wait, they will, AFTER a Month or so (most). There will always be controversy piling in. It happened to the Bx12, M15, M34/A, and now S79, soon the Bx41, B44, M60....etc..

Just give it time, it'll all go away.

Oh please, these people need to STFU......... Oh wait, they will, AFTER a Month or so (most). There will always be controversy piling in. It happened to the Bx12, M15, M34/A, and now S79, soon the Bx41, B44, M60....etc..

Just give it time, it'll all go away.

The bitching of the Bx12 died.

The M15 bitching hasn't gone away yet, trust me on that.

No one bitched about the M34/A lol.

No one bitched about the M34/A lol.

Don't get me started. Trying to get an M16 to Port Authority and all I see is this goddamn M34A! :angry:

-B35 via Church regarding a man waiting for the M16.

:D

In all seriousness, no more RTS on that line. :(

I went to the mall today. I did a loop around SI, and took the S59-S79-S53-S48-S89

Here's a breakdown of the ridership on my trip.

The bus pulled into the Sears stop with ~ a seated load. There were 9 people waiting and we all got on. We skipped Yukon Avenue, and a few people got on and off at the ETC (but more people got on, so the bus was slightly more crowded when it left). At Genesee Avenue, a couple of people got off, and at the SIR station, a bunch of people got off. So now we're at around 75% of a seated load or so. For the next few stops, it was just a couple of people getting on and off (I think we skipped a couple of stops between Nelson & Ebbitts). Then in New Dorp, we caught up to an S78, but it ended up getting ahead of us. At all the stops afterward, there was a decent crowd (say, 7 people at each stop. Maybe 10 at New Dorp Lane and Clove Road), but there were a few people getting off, so it wasn't too crowded.

Since we never actually passed that S78, I didn't get to see how crowded it was. But while I was waiting for the S53 at Clove, another northbound S78 passed by with maybe 75% of a seated load. All the southbound S78s we passed weren't crowded. They ranged from being basically empty to around 1/2 a seated load. The S79s were all pretty full (ranging from a couple of standees to a lot of standees, though none of them were really "crushloaded"). The B/O I had wasn't too aggressive, or else we would've probably passed that S78.

Around the time my S79 pulled out of the mall, 3 mall-bound buses came in within a couple of minutes of each other. I didn't really see any other real instances of bunching further down the line (though I can picture them bunching by the time they reached the mall)

Oh, and the trip took about 45 minutes. I got on at around 2:40 - 2:45PM and got off at Clove Road at 3:30PM.

On a side note, that construction by the SIE slowed down the S53 around the Targee Street area. It probably took us about 10 minutes just to get from Clove & Targee to Narrows & Richmond.

Archived