S79 SBS bus discussion thread

Amtrak7

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks.

So which features of SBS does this pseudo-SBS have? Not having fare machines takes away the easiest way to differentiate an SBS route.

SBS name, wrapped buses, bus lanes, maybe traffic signal priority.

Thanks Amtrak! Looks like this S79 SBS will be running from about 415am-130am weekdays and 445am-130am weekends. IMO this wouuld have been a great time to also add in hourly S79 service(which is probably the next service expansion plans). I know checkmate may disagree but the S79 did need a llimited. Not sure SBS was needed right now though.

With all of the changes to this bloody line are they using artics on it or what?

Nope.

I wonder when they'll post the new schedules for the S59 & S78. Probably the beginning of September.

As for the S79, it seems the span is a little longer, and the time savings seem to vary by the time of day (looks like 4-10 minutes at a glance)

Thanks Amtrak! Looks like this S79 SBS will be running from about 415am-130am weekdays and 445am-130am weekends. IMO this wouuld have been a great time to also add in hourly S79 service(which is probably the next service expansion plans). I know checkmate may disagree but the S79 did need a llimited. Not sure SBS was needed right now though.

Yeah, I may disagree, but I don't. I don't know where you get the idea I ever opposed a limited, considering I specifically advocated for one in the past. I just didn't want +SBS+.

Thanks for posting the schedule.

Let the fun begin as the route is dependent on two routes that did not cooperate in the past and may not cooperate when this thing goes into effect. Watch the Brooklyn end of the line to see what will happen there as well.

The big test will come on the school holidays and Christmas time when the route becomes extremely heavy both passenger wise and traffic wise. Hopefully, all the problems will be worked out by Thanksgiving of this year.

Starting it in september helps with the school commuters. The lack of off board payment permits a quicker, cheaper start up. The fact it was posted now obviously may be a screw up in the html of the Site which happens everywhere often. One updates a Site in preparation and accidentally hits "publish". Lol. we may see the off board payment when we see attics but who knows. This will be the 4the route and 3 rd Boro with SBS with Brooklyn's B44 next.

Because the S79 does not get hammered down at most stops like the other SBS routes, regular payment will be used except for 86th and 4 Av where the only machine will be installed.

Is this means inspector will only be at 86th St/4th Av to make sure they paid?

This new service is just a really fancy limited service.

They could've gotten away with just changing the destination signs to "LIMITED" instead of all the flashy accessories.

LOL... As far as I'm concerned that's just what the Bx12SBS and M15SBS are. They're trying to hype up something that they're well behind on. To tell you have far behind they are, when I went to Bologna in 2004, they already had tracking systems in on some bus lines and they're just getting around to it almost 8 years later. It is laughable at how advanced some transit systems are in comparsion to the MTA and yes I know it is large, but that's exactly why it should be more advanced.

LOL... As far as I'm concerned that's just what the Bx12SBS and M15SBS are. They're trying to hype up something that they're well behind on. To tell you have far behind they are, when I went to Bologna in 2004, they already had tracking systems in on some bus lines and they're just getting around to it almost 8 years later. It is laughable at how advanced some transit systems are in comparsion to the MTA and yes I know it is large, but that's exactly why it should be more advanced.

Careful..we would not want to invoke the anti-bus improvement NIMBYs now would we?

Archived