Planned Subway Service Changes

On 5/19/2021 at 6:07 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The (R) would operate up to Atlantic (and it operates express between Atlantic and 36th Street).  

Since the (R) now operates 24/7 to South Ferry, I wonder why bother having the (N) terminate at Court Street and have this service arrangement. It made sense years ago, since the (N) was the only thing during late nights to operate to those stations. However, the (R) isn't normally scheduled to operate express on 4th Avenue (while the (N) is), so I feel that this creates unnecessary service patterns. I guess that 2-3 hour timeframe when the (R) is still operating to/from Queens complicates things a bit, but still. If it was a weekend service change though I would be onboard with the setup.

The (R) could have operated to Court all local, with the (N) would have just operated express between 36th and Atlantic during late nights. Currently, (D) trains start running local on 4th Avenue after 7 PM anyways (NB), so it can make local stops on 4th Avenue north of 36th Street and riders can use it to get to/from Manhattan. Also, (R) riders could transfer at DeKalb either the (D) and (Q), or Jay Street for the (A) or (F) , but it is what is I suppose. The Queens-Manhattan part of the rerouted (R) could have been expanded (M) service to Forest Hills. However I'm assuming that rescheduling the (R) via 6th Avenue is probably easier.

This is what they usually state when the (R) operates along 63rd Street.

Maybe what they should have done for that period would have been to if necessary cut the (R) to five-car trains and have it run late nights via Nassau after Court Street as a "Brown R" to Chambers or Essex Street (with perhaps if it Chambers done to where the (R) would come into Chambers southbound directly before a (J) so there are no issues at Broad Street).  

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:

Maybe what they should have done for that period would have been to if necessary cut the (R) to five-car trains and have it run late nights via Nassau after Court Street as a "Brown R" to Chambers or Essex Street (with perhaps if it Chambers done to where the (R) would come into Chambers southbound directly before a (J) so there are no issues at Broad Street).  

Why?

By running the (R) via Nassau in that scenario, it still goes into Manhattan and going to at least Chambers has it meeting up with the (2)(3)(4) and (5) at Fulton and (4)(5) and (6) at Chambers and if to Essex the (F) there.  That covers pretty much everywhere missed by the Broadway lines being closed with limited exceptions. 

Just now, Wallyhorse said:

By running the (R) via Nassau in that scenario, it still goes into Manhattan and going to at least Chambers has it meeting up with the (2)(3)(4) and (5) at Fulton and (4)(5) and (6) at Chambers and if to Essex the (F) there.  That covers pretty much everywhere missed by the Broadway lines being closed with limited exceptions. 

I forgot the (A) and (C) at Fulton as well.

6 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

5 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

I forgot the (A) and (C) at Fulton as well.

The (R) already connects to all those lines in Brooklyn, except for the (6) . Not only is it unnecessary, but then (R) riders would be caught off guard with smaller train lengths. 

2 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

15 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The (R) already connects to all those lines in Brooklyn, except for the (6) . Not only is it unnecessary, but then (R) riders would be caught off guard with smaller train lengths. 

I kind of have to agree with him in this scenario, sure running the Brown R has it's benefits. Downside is that because of the (R) running shorter length trains now, it definitely will catch people off guard. Of course, this will eliminate the need of running more (R) trains since now all you need is a few full length trains, run similar service like the Late Night Lefferts (A) does and you're set. It also relieves some R160's from being worked to death as well which is a plus. But now you have more merging issues. First up is with the (D) and (N) lines, then later on when the (D) splits off at Dekalb Av continuing on with the (N). Then to split off from the (N) to run along Nassau St line to then merge with the (J). You could technically cut back the (J) at Chambers St which leaves both the (J) and Brown (R) to have a place to terminate without interference, almost. I say almost because the (J) still needs to turn back which will interfere with (R) service trying to run to downtown and vice versa with (R) service trying to run downtown and a (J) is trying to terminate or depart. Then you also have where the (J) loses capacity to terminate because it can only terminate on 1 track, but what's to say that the (J) to Broad St will be needed at all? Personally, there are a lot of issues as is with the current (R), it's best to not route late night (R) service to Chambers because that just doesn't really solve much, if not at all. I find Vanshnook's idea of deinterlining Dekalb Junction to be the best when it comes to (R) service at least. Just have that be a thing, but make the (R) the (W). More people know the (W) more than the (R) anyway.

On 5/20/2021 at 9:33 PM, Vulturious said:

I kind of have to agree with him in this scenario, sure running the Brown R has it's benefits. Downside is that because of the (R) running shorter length trains now, it definitely will catch people off guard. Of course, this will eliminate the need of running more (R) trains since now all you need is a few full length trains, run similar service like the Late Night Lefferts (A) does and you're set. It also relieves some R160's from being worked to death as well which is a plus. But now you have more merging issues. First up is with the (D) and (N) lines, then later on when the (D) splits off at Dekalb Av continuing on with the (N). Then to split off from the (N) to run along Nassau St line to then merge with the (J). You could technically cut back the (J) at Chambers St which leaves both the (J) and Brown (R) to have a place to terminate without interference, almost. I say almost because the (J) still needs to turn back which will interfere with (R) service trying to run to downtown and vice versa with (R) service trying to run downtown and a (J) is trying to terminate or depart. Then you also have where the (J) loses capacity to terminate because it can only terminate on 1 track, but what's to say that the (J) to Broad St will be needed at all? Personally, there are a lot of issues as is with the current (R), it's best to not route late night (R) service to Chambers because that just doesn't really solve much, if not at all. I find Vanshnook's idea of deinterlining Dekalb Junction to be the best when it comes to (R) service at least. Just have that be a thing, but make the (R) the (W). More people know the (W) more than the (R) anyway.

But not in Bay Ridge. That’s always been served by the (R) train (the (RR) before 1986 and the #2 in BMT days). I like Vanshnook’s idea of de-interlining DeKalb, but so far the MTA haven’t shown any inclination towards considering it.

3 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

But not in Bay Ridge. That’s always been served by the (R) train (the (RR) before 1986 and the #2 in BMT days). I like Vanshnook’s idea of de-interlining DeKalb, but so far the MTA haven’t shown any inclination towards considering it.

Bay Ridge, no, West End, yes. The (R) rarely ever makes service along West End anyway, meanwhile I see (W) trains along West End more often. Plus, that line was born on West End.

You're also not wrong about the MTA not caring about the idea, what's to say they even came across it to begin with? I personally do hope for this to come to fruition if they ever do come across it. There are a lot of benefits to come from this asides from West End getting shafted to running local along 4 Av, but at the very least, people can transfer over to a (B) or (D) if they wanted. It's practically guaranteed to get since both are running express on 6 Av, so if anyone wanted faster travel into midtown you got that.

21 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Bay Ridge, no, West End, yes. The (R) rarely ever makes service along West End anyway, meanwhile I see (W) trains along West End more often. Plus, that line was born on West End.

You're also not wrong about the MTA not caring about the idea, what's to say they even came across it to begin with? I personally do hope for this to come to fruition if they ever do come across it. There are a lot of benefits to come from this asides from West End getting shafted to running local along 4 Av, but at the very least, people can transfer over to a (B) or (D) if they wanted. It's practically guaranteed to get since both are running express on 6 Av, so if anyone wanted faster travel into midtown you got that.

True, but this is more of a long term idea. 

On 5/20/2021 at 9:05 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

but then (R) riders would be caught off guard with smaller train lengths. 

I'm surprised that the (R) still use full train lengths during overnight hours, considering the fact that it used to be a shuttle

The (M) still used OPTO when they extended it to Essex St

On 5/22/2021 at 2:41 AM, Vulturious said:

On 5/22/2021 at 11:48 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

True, but this is more of a long term idea. 

Although, with a (W) via the West End Line, you can also have a peak-direction West End <W> express, which may make up for the West End train running local. The West End Line is a curvy route with a lot of stops between Stillwell and 36th. It might be one way to sweeten the deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like we're going back to the old days of the (D) Trains running in two sections

TRACK MAINTENANCE
Jul 2 - 6, Fri 9:45 PM to Tue 5 AM (includes holiday)
(D) Service runs in two sections and is rerouted in Manhattan

No downtown  service at 7 Av, 47-50 Sts, 42 St-Bryant Pk and 34 St-Herald Sq.

(D) trains run in two sections: 
 1. Between 205 St and W 4 St, and via the (E) to/from World Trade Center, the last stop 
     • Downtown trains run via the (A) local from 59 St-Columbus Circle to Canal St. 
     • Uptown trains run via the (E) from World Trade Center to W 4 St then local to 34 St-Herald Sq, resuming normal service. 
 2. Between W 4 St and Stillwell Av

5 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

I'm guessing this is doing work in the express tunnels and on the southbound (D) track between 47-50 and 7th Avenue? 

Track replacement on the southbound express track between Rockefeller Center and Bryant Park

Edited by Around the Horn

This is actually part of a longer change to accomodate, among other things, track and CBTC work July 2 to Aug 2

Weeknights, downtown (D) runs via 8 ave, and (D) / (F) routes are swapped south of W4

Weekends

(D) runs in 2 sections, Bronx to WTC and W4 lower to Brooklyn

Downtown north(D) section runs via 8 Ave local south of 59th

Uptown north (D) section runs local W4 to 47/50

Queens bound (E) via 8 ave express

Uptown (A)(C) via (F) Jay to W4, 8 Ave local to 59th

On mobile so can someone post the link and or correct me if needed. 

this caught my attention

ACCESSIBILITY IMPROVEMENTS
Mon to Fri, 7:20 AM to 8:50 AM, Jun 21 - Oct 29 (except Jul 5 & Sep 6)
Some downtown (5) trains will run via the (2) after 149 St-Grand Concourse

Three trips will run via the (2) from 149 St-Grand Concourse to Franklin Av-Medgar Evers College, then make the last stop at the Utica Av 3 4 Station.

Two trips will run via the (2) after 149 St-Grand Concourse and make the last stop at the Rector St (1) Station.

Travel Alternatives:
Transfer at 149 St-Grand Concourse to a Flatbush Av-bound 5 train.

In Manhattan, transfer at Times Sq-42 St to the (7) (ad) or the (S) for Grand Central-42 St (ad), where (5) service is available. If you're on a train terminating at Rector St, transfer to the 2 at Chambers St ad for service to Brooklyn.

(ad) This service change affects one or more ADA accessible stations and these travel alternatives may not be fully accessible. Please contact 511 to plan your trip.

For travel alternatives:

Edited by nightmare402

2 hours ago, nightmare402 said:

this caught my attention

Three trips will run via the (2) from 149 St-Grand Concourse to Franklin Av-Medgar Evers College, then make the last stop at the Utica Av 3 4 Station.

Two trips will run via the (2) after 149 St-Grand Concourse and make the last stop at the Rector St (1) Station.

Travel Alternatives:

In Manhattan, transfer at Times Sq-42 St to the (7) (ad) or the (S) for Grand Central-42 St (ad), where (5) service is available. If you're on a train terminating at Rector St, transfer to the 2 at Chambers St ad for service to Brooklyn.

(ad) This service change affects one or more ADA accessible stations and these travel alternatives may not be fully accessible. Please contact 511 to plan your trip.

For travel alternatives:

Why Rector St? They do know South Ferry Loop is closed right?

1 hour ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Is there a slow order somewhere that is causing this?

Looks to be related to this

Mon to Fri, 6:30 AM to 9 AM, Jun 21 - Oct 29
(4) Downtown trains will stop at 138 St-Grand Concourse during the morning rush hour 

Reminder: Downtown (4) trains stop at this station all other times. 

Mon to Fri, 4 PM to 6 PM, Jun 21 - Oct 29
(4) Uptown trains will stop at 138 St-Grand Concourse during the evening rush hour 

Reminder: Uptown (4) trains stop at this station all other times. 

Somebody more in the know can confirm, but guessing the middle track at 149th on Jerome is being used to store equipment for the ADA accessibility work at the complex, so the (4) is running on the local track in both directions, and to reduce potential merging delays between 138th and 149th a handful of (5) trips are being sent via 7th Ave. Those rerouted trips seem to only be during the AM though.

Edited by Mysterious2train

14 hours ago, Mysterious2train said:

Looks to be related to this

Somebody more in the know can confirm, but guessing the middle track at 149th on Jerome is being used to store equipment for the ADA accessibility work at the complex, so the (4) is running on the local track in both directions, and to reduce potential merging delays between 138th and 149th a handful of (5) trips are being sent via 7th Ave. Those rerouted trips seem to only be during the AM though.

Yes I think it is the regularly scheduled short-turn (5) trains that end at bowling green or Utica Avenue that are affected

On 6/14/2021 at 11:27 AM, nightmare402 said:

this caught my attention

Travel Alternatives:

For travel alternatives:

The way how they're doing this service change is completely stupid IMO. 

It should be:

Some downtown (2) trains will begin at Dyre Av (5) instead of 241st St.

Two trips will operate normally between East 180th St & Chambers St, and via the (1) local line to Rector St, the last stop.

Three trips will operate normally between East 180th St & Franklin Av, and via the (3) to Utica Av, the last stop.

See how easy that was and no confusion? Why are we going call trains operating along the majority on the 7th Av Line a (5) when it's suppose to be a (2) ?

35 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

The way how they're doing this service change is completely stupid IMO. 

It should be:

Some downtown (2) trains will begin at Dyre Av (5) instead of 241st St.

Two trips will operate normally between East 180th St & Chambers St, and via the (1) local line to Rector St, the last stop.

Three trips will operate normally between East 180th St & Franklin Av, and via the (3) to Utica Av, the last stop.

See how easy that was and no confusion? Why are we going call trains operating along the majority on the 7th Av Line a (5) when it's suppose to be a (2) ?

People would just assume those Rector Street bound (2) trains are going to Brooklyn on the southern end, and then would have to transfer at Chambers Street if they're one of those trips to Rector Street (that or be caught off guard when the train pulls into Cortlandt Street). 

The (2) also doesn't normally go to Utica. Neither does the (5) , but it would make no sense to bring the (2) into that if those specific trips are (5) trains. 

If the (5) trains were going to Flatbush, then I would agree with you. Ultimately, some group of riders would have to have some of their regular trips end somewhere else.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

13 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

People would just assume those Rector Street bound (2) trains are going to Brooklyn on the southern end, and then would have to transfer at Chambers Street if they're one of those trips to Rector Street (that or be caught off guard when the train pulls into Cortlandt Street). 

The (2) also doesn't normally go to Utica. Neither does the (5) , but it would make no sense to bring the (2) into that if those specific trips are (5) trains. 

If the (5) trains were going to Flatbush, then I would agree with you. Ultimately, some group of riders would have to have some of their regular trips end somewhere else.

The (2) does have scheduled trips to New Lots Av. The (5) trips to Utica Av continue Not In Service to New Lots Av and stay there for the PM rush, so frankly its actually better.