Planned Subway Service Changes

11 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I mean, Ulmer Park isn't too far from the Brooklyn terminal (especially since buses are allowed on that portion of the Belt Parkway), so it's not too hard to send backup buses over there if necessary. And then just put a couple of buses on the Manhattan end (e.g. 23rd Street or Thomas Street) and you're good to go. In the grand scheme of things, it's not too expensive (considering that with these subway shuttles, a lot of times they'll have B/Os from all over the city come over to work those trips).

They should be advertising all alternatives anyway (for example, a local bus to the (F)) to minimize the need for shuttle buses.

It's not just that. There are other logistics that would have to be dealt with. For example, even with all of the shuffling around they have done with overnight service, it has still been a struggle for them to consistently meet the schedule on some lines, even these newly created ones. There have been a lot of cuts to things that existed in the past (supposedly, some it was restored, but still). Additionally, lots of drivers don't want to deal the aggravation, so some have stopped bothering to do OT. That's one reason why sometimes I ask that general announcements be made rather than have a guy pulled from service for this or that. 

10 hours ago, Lex said:

The higher fare can also serve as a deterrent.

Yeah, but before COVID, Metro-North had record ridership, despite having high fares (higher than the express bus). If you provide a quality product, people will pay more, especially if they value their time commuting. I would much rather take one mode of transportation and spend more, if it means I have a clean, quiet and faster commute. One complaint I hear often in my group from long-time riders is that the service is not as good as it used to be, particularly under the private lines. The buses were clean, the service was reliable and prompt, and these are things that passengers care dearly about overall. Metro-North, despite the high fare, has done an EXCELLENT job on that end. My trains are spotless, the service is extremely punctual, and customer service especially since COVID has been stellar. Most of the conductors greet you, say thank you, etc.  These seem like small things, but they make a big difference.

That is one thing that has improved. We have a lot of drivers in the group and they have been trying to leave promptly. I think the real problem has been missing buses, though there are far fewer of them now compared to months ago.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah I know. I will inquire about that. They usually doesn't list the express bus as an alternative though. My thinking is that the X27 is usually crowded enough on weekends, and with hourly service at times, that may be a problem.

Isn't it also more than twice as expensive, and you can't use normal unlimiteds on it? 

I wouldn't expect to pay more for something listed as an alternative option.

18 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Isn't it also more than twice as expensive, and you can't use normal unlimiteds on it? 

I wouldn't expect to pay more for something listed as an alternative option.

That's what I was getting at. The fact that only one time-based pass has express buses directly covered only serves to further sour the deal, as you implied.

The thing that stops the railroads from being subject to the same issue is the fact that there's a cross-honor method that likely won't be available once OMNY is implemented on them. This is part of why we really need to rethink the fare structures, though that's a conversation for a different thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't done this in some time, but here's everything so far for October weekends:

NOTE: Some of these changes have already been mentioned in the above posts. 

(1)(2) Uptown service runs express from Chambers St to 34 St-Penn Station: Oct 23-26 

(2) Reduced service: Oct 10-11, 17-18, 24-25

(2) Uptown service runs express in The Bronx: Oct 3-4, 10-11, 17-18, 24-25

(4) No service in Brooklyn; (3) Operates to/from New Lots Av all weekend: Oct 2-5, 16-19, 23-26

(4) Split service at 125 St; Trains run local in Manhattan: Oct 10-12

(5) No service between East 180 Street and Bowling Green: Oct 3-4, 10-11

(5) Split service; No trains between 149 Street-Grand Concourse and East 180 St: Oct 17-18, 24-25

(7) Manhattan bound service is express in Queens: Oct 16-19

(A)(C) Downtown service runs express from 59 St to Canal St: Oct 9-12, 16-19, 23-26

(A)(C) Uptown service is express along CPW: Oct 16-19

(C) Uptown express runs express from Canal St to 145 St: Oct 3-4

(D) Reduced service: Oct 3-4

(D) No Uptown service on 6 Av; Operates via 8 Av and CPW Local: Oct 2-5

(D)(N) Coney Island bound service is local in Brooklyn: Oct 3-4

(D) Split service: No trains between 34 Street-Herald Sq and 9 Av: Oct 9-12, 16-19, 23-26

(E) Operates via 6 Av and 63 St between 21 St and Delancey-Essex Sts; No service to WTC: Oct 2-5

(E) Operates via 6 Av and 63 St between 21 St and W 4 St; Still runs to WTC: Oct 9-12, 16-19, 23-26

(E)(F) Service is local in Queens: Oct 3-5

(E)(R) Outbound service is express in Queens: Oct 10-11, 17-18; Manhattan bound: Oct 24-25

(F) Operates via 8 Av and Cranberry Tunnel, both directions: Oct 2-5

(F) No service between Church Av and Stillwell Av: Oct 2-5

(L) No service between Broadway Junction and Rockaway Parkway: Oct 3-4

(N) Split service; Section 1 operates between Ditmars Blvd and Stillwell Av via Lower Manhattan and Brighton express; Section 2, Between 36 St and Stillwell Av via Sea Beach: Oct 9-12, 16-19, 23-26

(N) No service between 86 St and Stillwell Av: Oct 2-5

(Q) Reduced service; Brooklyn bound trains run local from 34 St to Canal St: Oct 3-4

(R) Split service: No trains between Whitehall St-South Ferry and 36 Street, Brooklyn: Oct 9-12, 16-19, 23-26

(SIR) No service between St. George and Grant City: Oct 3-5

(SIR) No service between Great Kills and Tottenville: Oct 10-12

Edited by S78 via Hylan

• 2 weeks later...

This is outlined in a press release dated 10/6 but the QBL will be a hotbed of reroutes/closures the next few months 

(E) via 63rd st/6th Ave Oct 9-30 weeknights/weekends, and the weekends of Nov 20 and Dec 11

Thanksgiving and Christmas (Nov 25-30 long weekend, and Dec 26-Jan 4) 24/7 shutdown of the 53rd St tunnel similar to those in the past. (E) via 63rd st/6th Ave and (M) to Chambers

Fasttrack closures west of Roosevelt - 21st St Queensbridge/53rd St tunnel (though not explicitly called as such) the weeks of Dec 7,14, and 21

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

They couldn't have done this when both Joralemon St and Clark St tunnels were closed down a few years ago? Huge missed opportunity to do that, but nope they decided to wait a few years later. What they should do in this scenario is bring an extra train from Nassau line like the (J) or even bring back the (brownM) to provide extra service between Manhattan and Brooklyn.

2 hours ago, Vulturious said:

They couldn't have done this when both Joralemon St and Clark St tunnels were closed down a few years ago? Huge missed opportunity to do that, but nope they decided to wait a few years later. What they should do in this scenario is bring an extra train from Nassau line like the (J) or even bring back the (brownM) to provide extra service between Manhattan and Brooklyn.

The extra (J)(M) trains between Manhattan and South Brooklyn would carry air, just like they did last time

4 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

The extra (J)(M) trains between Manhattan and South Brooklyn would carry air, just like they did last time

Thats not why, its because only some people knew that the (J) was running to Prospect as an alternative to the (4) and (5).

Would you rather take a crush loaded (N) or (Q) (especially in COVID times) or a somewhat empty (J) train? I really think they should try this service pattern one more time and see if it gains ridership.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:
5 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Thats not why, its because only some people knew that the (J) was running to Prospect as an alternative to the (4) and (5).

Would you rather take a crush loaded (N) or (Q) (especially in COVID times) or a somewhat empty (J) train? I really think they should try this service pattern one more time and see if it gains ridership.

That was mainly what I was going off of as even if it's carrying air, at least it would help alleviate some crowds to another train.

14 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

What are you talking about? He's right that the reason why they stopped doing that was because it barely carried passengers. Majority of the riders used the (2)(3)(N)(Q)(R) during the G.O

• 2 weeks later...

(D) Service is rerouted in Manhattan and Brooklyn 

(D) trains run between Norwood-205 St and 145 St and via the (C) to/from W 4 St and via the (F) to/from Church Av, the last stop.   

(F) trains replace the (D) between 47-50 Sts and Stillwell Av.  

For 7 Av, use nearby 50 St (C)(E) station or take an uptown (E)

• Transfer at W 4 St (D) , uptown (E)(F) , or 42 St/Port Authority (D) , uptown (E) .

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/mta-announces-track-maintenance-6-av-bd-express-tracks-ensure-reliability

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This evening, the following service change is in effect:

•  (E) trains are operating via the (F) between Roosevelt Ave/36th Street and West 4th Street
  • (F) trains are operating via the (E) between Roosevelt Ave & Canal Street, and via the (A) between Canal Street and Jay Street

Given this, what's the point in swapping the (E) and (F) in Queens & Manhattan.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

42 St Shuttle (S) service are suspended during weekdays to allow the connection project to be worked on. Except for weekends, as a link from Times Square to Grand Central as (7) trains will not be running this month in Manhattan. 

Edited by Calvin

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Abba said:

I don’t understand. Why do they have to work in the Jorelemon (4)  (5) Tube for 2 years when they just did a couple years ago?  Anyone know?

Your explanation is right here. The tunnels are over a 100 years old, and they need to be maintained. The work done a few years ago was Sandy related. Even so, routine maintenance is needed.

https://new.mta.info/projects/rehabilitating-2345-tunnels

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

22 hours ago, Abba said:

I don’t understand. Why do they have to work in the Jorelemon (4)  (5) Tube for 2 years when they just did a couple years ago?  Anyone know?

Its NYC

There is constructions during the weekends and off peak hours on almost every line forever.

That is the only answer I could give lol

Edited by Mtatransit

• 1 month later...

The (C) via Grand Concourse also is in effect weekend of the 23rd-26th of April. 

* Tomorrow: (Q) trains are running over the (D) line from Dekalb Av (or part of the (B) ) to 47 St-Rockefeller Center then making a stop at 57 St on the (F) and back on its tracks at Lex-63 St resuming regular route on the Second Av line. 

* The (F) route goes as follow this weekend:

[ Jamaica-179 St to Roosevelt Av regular route but local in both directions running over the (E) line following the (C) to Jay St-Metrotech. Uptown trains bypass 23 St and Spring St. 

It'll then resume its route to Church Av but running over the Culver line to Coney Island-Stillwell Av. Going south, Av.U and X will be skipped while Manhattan bound (F) and (G) trains skip Ft. Hamilton Pkwy, 15 St and 4 Av-9 St. ] 

Edited by Calvin