Sept. 2012 Bus Schedule Changes

BM5 via Woodhaven

It's a mistake now (tripplanner still shows the local going past Fordham), but the Bx36 timetable line map had LTD stop bullets before the Bx36 LIMITED officially began, it could be a future cut.

There was someone who mentioned cutting back the Bx12 local to Grand Concourse

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/9455-express-bus-taken-for-a-ride-honor-system-fails-miserably-no-one-checks-on-bx12/page__st__20

All of them should be like that---and ridership on the Bx12 Local has plummeted. Personally, the western end should be truncated to Grand Concourse.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You clearly are way off base here you underestimate how dismal QM4's off peak ridership is. How did I arrive at this solution I observed 2 buses on queens blvd back to back one QM4 the other QM6 both had less than 12 riders each so via merger you have 2 loads of people on 1 bus resulting on better efficiency. This was on saturday. Besides staying on LIE to jewel via van wyck to union tpk afterwards can speed up the trip for both riders. And stops too close to subway can just be served by local bus to subway which is as fast as express bus. Outer users get a more direct service as well.

Okay on union turnpike during off peak times, people are very dependent on those two buses, QM1 or QM5. If the QM1 goes earlier than schedule, riders know they got another buses that will take then that will arrive in about 10-15 minutes. If you make the QM1 the only bus, that won't be a good idea. People will get angry if they miss that bus and know that they will have to wait an hour instead of 20 minutes by the most. Also QM5 riders won't be happy that they will have to make more stops. And the QM1 and QM5 have about 10-12 passenger (QM5) or 7-8 passengers (QM1). Also the QM1 and 5 would be combined since by the time those buses get to Union, they are 15 minutes apart. You clearly don't know how bad the QM1 and QM5 is. It's much easier to combine the 1 and 5 since the 1 and 5 have a very close "bonding"

Here's how I would do it

QM1: Peak Hours Only

QM5: Peak operates its current Route, Off peak operated via 64 Avenue and 188 st

Technically Union Tpke has the QM6 as a midtown alternative, which was what I was pointing out. Union Tpke would still have a 30 minute average wait since its the QM5/QM6 on that corridor.

It's a mistake now (tripplanner still shows the local going past Fordham), but the Bx36 timetable line map had LTD stop bullets before the Bx36 LIMITED officially began, it could be a future cut.

http://www.nyctransi...12/page__st__20

They fixed the online schedule now. "Pelham Bay to University Heights", timepoints, map and all. Maybe someone reads this site because I never called nobody :lol:

Besides the folks at Fordham Hill Oval wont give up a bus route. They are the main reason the SBS stops at Sedgwick. And did you also know the last stop westbound is not Fordham Road/Sedgwick Avenue?

That B6 change is really gonna be felt during PM Rush. There's gonna be a lot less service to New Lots then, only about half. The Limited comes like wildfire, really convenient for people in-between the (3) or (L) heading to either one (and beyond the (L), since it's Limited)

People at Rockaway Parkway win, since they're gonna have frequent empty Limited buses, the people beyond lose out.

Okay on union turnpike during off peak times, people are very dependent on those two buses, QM1 or QM5. If the QM1 goes earlier than schedule, riders know they got another buses that will take then that will arrive in about 10-15 minutes. If you make the QM1 the only bus, that won't be a good idea. People will get angry if they miss that bus and know that they will have to wait an hour instead of 20 minutes by the most. Also QM5 riders won't be happy that they will have to make more stops. And the QM1 and QM5 have about 10-12 passenger (QM5) or 7-8 passengers (QM1). Also the QM1 and 5 would be combined since by the time those buses get to Union, they are 15 minutes apart. You clearly don't know how bad the QM1 and QM5 is. It's much easier to combine the 1 and 5 since the 1 and 5 have a very close "bonding"

Here's how I would do it

QM1: Peak Hours Only

QM5: Peak operates its current Route, Off peak operated via 64 Avenue and 188 st

Technically Union Tpke has the QM6 as a midtown alternative, which was what I was pointing out. Union Tpke would still have a 30 minute average wait since its the QM5/QM6 on that corridor.

You do realize my off peak QM6 only skips 3 union tpk stops right all that are easy to reach from Q44 & 25/34 & 65 right? QM1 would simply get more full allowing it to extend to give off peak service to hillside. BUT Qm5 can also eat QM4 at off peak too.

Some more changes this week (from the MTA's site:)

- Q76 gets its Saturday service back, and Sunday service

- Q10 short-turns are extended from the Sanitation Office at 130th St and 150th St to the Q37 terminal a few blocks away.

- B103 has weekday morning short-turns to Cortelyou Rd and Coney Island Av

- Southbound Q113 local re-routed in Far Rockaway off of Nameoke Av and Central Av to stay on Beach Channel Dr and Mott Av to match the Northbound route. The Limited is unaffected.

- The B1 is getting moved to accommodate dat S79. The last stop from KCC and the layover is on 87th St and 4th Av, the first stop back to the college is on 86th St, at the B16 stop to Prospect Park.

- The BM2 stop at the Junction (which is already only for buses to Canarsie/Starett City) is getting axed (because of congestion the site says, which is understandable)

- Q76 gets its Saturday service back, and Sunday service

- Q10 short-turns are extended from the Sanitation Office at 130th St and 150th St to the Q37 terminal a few blocks away.

- B103 has weekday morning short-turns to Cortelyou Rd and Coney Island Av

- Southbound Q113 local re-routed in Far Rockaway off of Nameoke Av and Central Av to stay on Beach Channel Dr and Mott Av to match the Northbound route. The Limited is unaffected.

- The B1 is getting moved to accommodate dat S79. The last stop from KCC and the layover is on 87th St and 4th Av, the first stop back to the college is on 86th St, at the B16 stop to Prospect Park.

- The BM2 stop at the Junction (which is already only for buses to Canarsie/Starett City) is getting axed (because of congestion the site says, which is understandable)

Thanks for the heads up, breh.....

- The (Q10) change makes sense.... FWIW though, they may as well have the Q37 end on 150th/130th (basically swapping end terminals down there) b/c everyone's basically gonna seek to take 10's to/from that hotel.... I know that stop; those workers down there already take 10's (coming from the airport) over 37's anyway....

- B103 change, I'm not seeing the logic.... the people that are boarding along Cortelyou rd are heading downtown.... anyone that hasn't disembarked a 103 @ the junction or foster av, more often than not, head downtown..... few ppl. disembark along Cortelyou, coming from Canarsie......

- The Q113 change - Thank you... I always that that the turns onto nameoke & onto central, having buses coming from 5 towns, etc. (SB buses) turning onto mott off central were freakin pointless - too many ppl walking back towards the (A).... No one takes the Q113 heading towards Far Rockaway to catch the LIRR @ Far Rockaway anyway (for those that don't know, the LIRR station entrance is along nameoke)..... Hell, you don't see too many ppl. taking NB Q113's to LIRR Far Rockaway either !

- I'm indifferent about the B1 change.... All I really have to say about it is....

Haha, that line of ppl. waitin for B1's/B16's at that stop along 86th just off 4th is gonna be a doozy.... let there be one late B1 during the rush, and that line will easily wrap around the corner...... The line for the current 16 comes close to doing that w/ the subpar service on that route....

- BM2 has no business stopping at the junction anyway really.... It doesn't stop at cortelyou rd. on the brighton, so may as well revoke that stop......

4 out of 5 aint bad at all.....

(I have no comment about the 76 change... it's probably gonna run on hourly headways anyway)

That junction stop is very convenient.. Gives a good connection to the B41/B44. Now by eliminating that stop for people who would have to walk 3 blocks (necessarily) to make the B41/B44 connection. Now, I can understand the congestion issue b/w the B103, B41. I feel the bus stops in the area once again would need to be re-configured.

I'll comment about the Q76 bus change

The Q76 gas decent ridership weekdays. Gets SRO at times. Weekend Service, Well I take the Q76 and report to you guys how it turns out, since I know little about the Q76 weekend ridership, so anyone familiar with that can comment

FWIW, the cost per passenger on that route was $2.70 on Saturdays. Not the greatest, but considering you need it for coverage, it's not that bad.

Yeah the Q76 has 30 minute weekend service

I really wish the MTA would be willing to try hourly headways. I'd rather have 2 routes return running every hour instead of one route returning, running every 30 minutes. You serve more neighborhoods and more riders that way.

Triple post though? Anyway.......

I'll comment about the Q76 bus change

The Q76 gas decent ridership weekdays. Gets SRO at times. Weekend Service, Well I take the Q76 and report to you guys how it turns out, since I know little about the Q76 weekend ridership, so anyone familiar with that can comment

Yeah, I know about the weekday 76 - that's not what's in question.....

What I wanna see (in the course of months, not just the first few days) is how weekend 76 service pans out this time around, compared to when the 76 used to run on saturday..... I hate to say this, but I think 1/2 hourly weekend headways might actually be overkill for that route... But of course, let's see how things pan out......

Yeah the Q76 has 30 minute weekend service

Yeah, I just checked the timetables.... thanks...

I think it's the MTA's way of saying

"We will return the B23 with better headways but as a limited and not returning half of the route."

I may be wrong.

I don't think it's that at all.....

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/9455-express-bus-taken-for-a-ride-honor-system-fails-miserably-no-one-checks-on-bx12/page__st__20

Future cut??? of the Bx36 LTD?? How is that possible? That route gets backed as hell during the Rush Hours compared to the Bx36 Local. The BX36 Local only gets the seats filled, while standing is available.

Future cut??? of the Bx36 LTD?? How is that possible? That route gets backed as hell during the Rush Hours compared to the Bx36 Local. The BX36 Local only gets the seats filled, while standing is available.

The Bx12 to Fordham could be a future cut. The Bx36 schedule map showed LTD stop bullets before the LTD officially began. MTA can sometimes give future service patterns away. Bx36 LTD already had some midday service cuts between 2-3pm in recent years.

Yeah, I know about the weekday 76 - that's not what's in question.....

What I wanna see (in the course of months, not just the first few days) is how weekend 76 service pans out this time around, compared to when the 76 used to run on saturday..... I hate to say this, but I think 1/2 hourly weekend headways might actually be overkill for that route... But of course, let's see how things pan out......

From past Experenices of riding the Q76 on Weekends, I have to agree that it might be a little to much service (unless in the case of a drastic ridership increase was to occur.) Pre-2010 the bus would literally only carry 8-10 people on it's trip, then past halfway of the route it would be basically empty (With the exception of me of course). Still, I agree to wait & see what happens as a result of this recent weekend restoration to see if anything changed.

- I'm indifferent about the B1 change.... All I really have to say about it is....

Haha, that line of ppl. waitin for B1's/B16's at that stop along 86th just off 4th is gonna be a doozy.... let there be one late B1 during the rush, and that line will easily wrap around the corner...... The line for the current 16 comes close to doing that w/ the subpar service on that route....

I was over there earlier today and it wasn't a pretty sight. The line for the bus scretched clean to the corner

All I can say is that I am retired and am quite happy that I do not have to take either the S/79 or the B/1 routes.

We hear the term "gridlock" used most of the time in terms of Midtown Manhattan, however, this used to be a regular occurance in Bay Ridge during the summer months. Now the residents will have it year round as all you need is a B/1 boarding at the B/16 stop, one (or two) B/16's trying to enter the stop, an S/79 trying to make the turn with traffic trying to cross 4th Avenue and if I add in one tractor-trailer on either side along with S/53 or an S/93 waiting to make its turn, you have a "what looks good on paper does not work in the real world" situation.

There used to be a commercial for the U.S. Window factory that used the phrase"we told you so" and this forum did voice our opinions loud and clear on previous threads as to what should have been done. If only they would have listened to us!

Yes

I wonder what the signage says. For the Q113 change, I never really understood why it made that cut serving Nameoke and Central. I'm glad it stays on Beach Channel now. Seems like a win for local riders and loss for LTD riders IMO.

I wonder what the signage says. For the Q113 change, I never really understood why it made that cut serving Nameoke and Central. I'm glad it stays on Beach Channel now. Seems like a win for local riders and loss for LTD riders IMO.

It' doesn't affect the LTD. It just affect the Locals. I dunno how this would be a win-lose situation anyways.

Archived