New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/4/2022 at 7:11 PM, JAzumah said:

They can in theory, but it is their policy not to do so. NJT's resources are very thin and if the private sector is providing a service, they will try and avoid competing with them.

If Suburban does keep this kind of schedule indefinitely, there definitely is a need for local bus service between NB and Princeton along 27. Once every 2 hours doesnt cut it

• 2 weeks later...

I am beginning to see some rare sights on mybusnow out of South Jersey these days.  Since this new schedule change, 5300s are showing up on the 551 and 554.  It has been almost every day during the week since the schedule change.  Really all of the MCI routes out of Turnersville are seeing 5300s more often.  Also, the reverse effect still happens and MCIs show up on the 400, 403 and 459.   It seems like loans from up the freeway ( Newton Avenue) only seem to be a night and weekend thing now.  Tonight, 19134 is on the 554 which is rare; over the weekend the 400 had a couple of 5900s. 18129 was on the 406 last week during the evening.  Makes me wonder how they're going to make it through when the 316 starts back up for the summer.  It would be nice if a few 22000s were sent to help out during the summer.  

14 hours ago, Tranzitfan81 said:

I am beginning to see some rare sights on mybusnow out of South Jersey these days.  Since this new schedule change, 5300s are showing up on the 551 and 554.  It has been almost every day during the week since the schedule change.  Really all of the MCI routes out of Turnersville are seeing 5300s more often.  Also, the reverse effect still happens and MCIs show up on the 400, 403 and 459.   It seems like loans from up the freeway ( Newton Avenue) only seem to be a night and weekend thing now.  Tonight, 19134 is on the 554 which is rare; over the weekend the 400 had a couple of 5900s. 18129 was on the 406 last week during the evening.  Makes me wonder how they're going to make it through when the 316 starts back up for the summer.  It would be nice if a few 22000s were sent to help out during the summer.  

The formans at Washington Twp as assigning certain mcis runs with nabis. 

Reason? There is a part shortage with new mcis. Some of those 16-22 series are out there with worn brake pads. That’s as far as I’ll say on that. 

8 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

The formans at Washington Twp as assigning certain mcis runs with nabis. 

Reason? There is a part shortage with new mcis. Some of those 16-22 series are out there with worn brake pads. That’s as far as I’ll say on that. 

Oh boy...

12 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Yeah the southern is a mess right now. One garage is short three 18XXX series after those 2 incidents. There’s even been a NABI popping up on the 317 lately, and apparently one ran on the 319 from Toms River to NY a few months ago.

NABI on the 319?! Even worse on the 317... oh boyyyy

If NJT does that to Rt 9 commuters a riot would break out

3 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

From my understanding it was because the MCI that was on it had a mechanical problem and it was the last bus of the day, so they sent whoever was closest to finish the run which happened to be a NABI.

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Yeah the southern is a mess right now. One garage is short three 18XXX series after those 2 incidents. There’s even been a NABI popping up on the 317 lately, and apparently one ran on the 319 from Toms River to NY a few months ago.

5 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Speaking of NABIs on the 319, there is a pic of 6208 on the 319 from before not sure if it was a glitch or another route:

New_Jersey_Transit_6208-a.jpg

Edited by DCTransitFilms

2 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Speaking of NABIs on the 319, there is a pic of 6208 on the 319 from before not sure if it was a glitch or another route:

New_Jersey_Transit_6208-a.jpg

This was when we used to have the south of Atlantic City trippers. They used to run nabis on the trippers. Atlantic City via Ocean Dr starts in Cape May or Wildwood. 

Why are there little buses in Atlantic City, presumably 30 feet? Only one door, are they insane? My bus (505) was standing room. Also, instead of having a ledge to place bags, there is just a ton of wasted unusable space between the wheel column and the first seat

On 4/20/2022 at 2:04 PM, 553 Bridgeton said:

We are ALL dealing with parts shortages and extended delivery times. I know that NJT isn't used to operating that close to the margins, but I suspect that most companies will be there this summer.

On 4/26/2022 at 11:11 AM, jass said:

Why are there little buses in Atlantic City, presumably 30 feet? Only one door, are they insane? My bus (505) was standing room. Also, instead of having a ledge to place bags, there is just a ton of wasted unusable space between the wheel column and the first seat

Ventnor, Margate, and Longport towns complained to NJT back in early 90s about 40ft buses causing vibrations and cracks in walls in peoples homes. They used to run Flexs on the 504 and 505. When that issue happened transit got the 30ft novas with 2 doors and then 31ft nabis with 1 door. They was to run more 505s and have most of the service end in Margate at Franklin Av. Service past Franklin Av is really during peak hours. 

7 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Training bus. A lot of Hilton & Meadowlands ops are being put in the same class.

The driver that showed up was from Hilton....Training for what the 1 Route....Drivers from both meadowlands and Hilton should by now know how to operate those...Are you saying Hilton and meadow gonna combined as one garage when you say same class 

Edited by biGC323232

3 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

The driver that showed up was from Hilton....Training for what the 1 Route....Drivers from both meadowlands and Hilton should by now know how to operate those...Are you saying Hilton and meadow gonna combined as one garage when you say same class 

No, when I went to Hilton, my class was combined with Meadowlands because they are very short on instructors. The folks from ML that we’re with us we’re cross trained on the 1 & 25 lines because they had to get artic wildcatting in.