7 Line Extension 90 Percent Complete

GojiMet86

You know, I just noticed that we don't have a pinned (7) extension thread.

7 Line Extension 90 Percent Complete
August 21st, 2013

9124956195_64765d65aa_b.jpg?itok=uBzaCSU
Interlocking at 34 St.

As of August 2013, approximately 90 percent of construction on the 7.png Line Extension has been completed. One and a half miles of new track will bring the Flushing Line to 34 St and 11 Av at the heart of what will become Manhattan's newest neighborhood.
Construction began in December 2007 and is on schedule to open for revenue service in June 2014. The subway extension will make it possible for new housing, office buildings, restaurants, entertainment and other commercial establishments to grow on the far west side of Manhattan. It will also provide convenient access to adjacent developments and the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center.
The 7.png Line Extension will improve transit access to the west side of Manhattan, and will directly connect with 17 subway lines, providing access to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, Grand Central Terminal and Penn Station. In addition, to improve accessibility to individuals with disabilities, state-of-the-art inclined elevators are being installed at the new 34 St station.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, good... I thought this was about that 7 to secaucus bullshit for a second there...

I still have mixed feelings about the 7 to the Javits center... but I have to say I'm impressed that they're actually almost done with everything...

The next question is, how long will the last "10%" take to complete

They have done and put lousy mezzanine there, what an exquisite way to ruin such great space, especially underground where crucial vertical space is limited. I won't be surprised if contractors will mess up lighting and AC too.

No new subway stations have air conditioning.

Given the work that they've done at Bleecker and Fulton, MTA at least hires architects and designers who know what they're doing, unlike a certain agency building a giant stegosaurus *cough*

No new subway stations have air conditioning.

Given the work that they've done at Bleecker and Fulton, MTA at least hires architects and designers who know what they're doing, unlike a certain agency building a giant stegosaurus *cough*

This will be the first one with AC, or at least ventilation system seen below

9124955835_8db608d820_c.jpg

9124956217_3775f7b1b5_c.jpg

It's air tempering. It's basically giant fans.

In any case, we are a long ways from the days of old, from the problems with SAS in the 70s flooding, and the South Ferry station being unable to accommodate trains (and then continuing to leak after that first problem was fixed). The other part of it is that Bloomberg is not going to let his baby blow up in his face, since it's the only thing that really hasn't at this point (education scores turned out to be a sham, and policing is just a giant minefield at this point).

Will the station be waterproof?

Definitely. In fact even the the subways of old from the IRT onward features waterproofing techniques in its construction, cloth mesh immensed in waterproof tar and lined on the walls before the concrete is set in.

9124955835_8db608d820_c.jpg

9124956217_3775f7b1b5_c.jpg

Yep it will feature air conditioning.

http://new.mta.info/news/2011/09/14/work-begin-under-last-major-contract-needed-extend-7-subway-line

Under this award, contractors will lay the tracks through the newly completed tunnels and build the signals that will guide trains along the new sections of track and the third rails that will power them. They will also build elevators and escalators at the new station, and the station's systems for electrical power, lighting, plumbing, heating, ventilation and air conditioning, and they will connect the new station and tunnels to utilities.

Yes. There's only one station being fully built as part of this extension. There was originally supposed to be another station at 10th Ave and 41st St but when construction cost estimates ended up being higher than the City thought, they (unfortunately) decided not to have it be part of the initial extension. I read that they planned to build the 10th Ave station as an unfinished shell to be finished and opened at a future date, but I'm not sure if they even built that.

No it wont, bobtehpanda always knows the inside of things so I believe him :)

In any case, we are a long ways from the days of old, from the problems with SAS in the 70s flooding, and the South Ferry station being unable to accommodate trains (and then continuing to leak after that first problem was fixed). The other part of it is that Bloomberg is not going to let his baby blow up in his face, since it's the only thing that really hasn't at this point (education scores turned out to be a sham, and policing is just a giant minefield at this point).

Not to be *that* guy, but flooding tunnels while building the tunnels even happened as recently in 2005 in The Hague in my country. But yeah, like you said: you gotta hire people who know what their doing to prevent such things from happening.

All this work for one station. I've followed its development for years and I'm still shocked.

Yeah, but this is a common problem around the world (excluding Asia). For some reason it isnt as easy to build all these things as it was 100 years ago.

Meanwhile, the page realizm linked came from the official site... hmmm...

I once linked to an official page on the (MTA)s site in the LIRR subforum... never again...

(either the LIRR fans have trust issues or the (MTA) doesnt always state the right stuff on their site)

42nd Street Grand Central on the IRT also incorporates air conditioning systems from a pilot program.

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Station:_Grand_Central_(IRT_East_Side_Line)

The station platforms are decorated with what will be recognized as "typical Dual Contracts" name tablets, icons, and "runner" mosaics along the trackside walls. The icon in this case is a stylized steam locomotive, apropos to the station's location under Grand Central Terminal (which in its early days indeed had steam powered trains). MTA Metro-North's renovations of Grand Central Terminal included an air-conditioning project, and this was extended to the usually extremely warm IRT subway platforms.

* on the (4)(5)(6)

No it wont, bobtehpanda always knows the inside of things so I believe him :)

To be honest, there have been plenty of MTA press releases talking about having 'tempered air' in stations. They seem to have all gone away after the MTA website overhaul way back when, but here's an WNYC article that mentions 'tempered air'. However, according to the EPA, 'tempered air' and 'conditioned air' are basically the same thing, so I guess I was wrong about that.

Not to be *that* guy, but flooding tunnels while building the tunnels even happened as recently in 2005 in The Hague in my country. But yeah, like you said: you gotta hire people who know what their doing to prevent such things from happening.

The specific case involved in the 70s was a contractor using wood pilings instead of steel pilings, leading to constant flooding even during sunny days. It turned into a whole he said she said thing, with the contractor saying that the MTA never specified steel (or specifically specified wood), and the MTA saying that they should've taken necessary precautions, yadda yadda yadda.

Fortunately, the MTA and their contractors don't get involved in stuff that bad anymore.

Yeah, but this is a common problem around the world (excluding Asia). For some reason it isnt as easy to build all these things as it was 100 years ago.

A huge part of it in the United States is other transit agencies screwing things up. When Los Angeles was building its Metro, a bunch of NIMBYs made a bunch of noise about how 'underground methane' was going to cause explosions if they bored a subway line through it, and they actually got a Senator to ban federal funds used in a specific district of Los Angeles (which is also why the overcrowded Orange Line in LA is BRT and not light rail). Coincidentally, the Los Angeles system has bigger ventilation systems than any previous systems, so I'm guessing that they also attempted to change the construction regulations for new subways. The ventilation shafts for SAS and 34th St are huge.

In addition, you have DC derailing or catastrophically crashing once every few years, which has led to DC-area congressmen saying that all transit systems should be under FTA regulatory oversight (which is almost certainly going to increase costs).

The other part of it is that deeper almost always costs more money. SAS and 34th St are very deep, and East Side Access is even deeper. Coincidentally, these three projects are three out of the four projects in the world that have ever cost over $1B/km. Not only that, but the stations are also giant caverns, unlike other deep level stations which consist of two tubes, connecting passageways, and a few exit shafts. In general, blowing up a large cavern in bed rock is a lot more expensive than some mined stations (and these stations consist of the majority of costs in all New York area transit projects.)

I'd also like to point out that people dying on the job was a regular feature of past NYC subway construction, so perhaps we don't want to bring all of the components of old subway construction back.

Archived