Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

8 hours ago, VIP said:

Surprised no one is keeping tabs on more R46’s appearing on the (W) / (N) lines. 5656 and friends and 567x and friends and 57xx were transferred last week. One set appeared on the (G) 

Dunno ‘bout everyone else...but it’s not even an interesting swap to me anyway...I honestly don’t like the R46 at all for various reasons. I’m fine with them on the (C), (H), (R), and the Lefferts Blvd (A) though.

1 hour ago, Shore El Express said:

If they're still on today, will they be on the same times as yesterday? I saw the 1:04PM out of Broad St but didn't have time to ride it, so I want to try again

17 minutes ago, Shore El Express said:

*17:04 out of broad st

I hope they still do the 8:13AM run out of Jamaica Center. Wasn’t able to make it today since I still am not feeling too good due to so much germwich stuffed up my nose and throat after several past weeks of non-stop coughing and running nose. But I’m feeling a lot better now overall due to the weather getting back to the 40s and 50s.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, VIP said:

Surprised no one is keeping tabs on more R46’s appearing on the (W) / (N) lines. 5656 and friends and 567x and friends and 57xx were transferred last week. One set appeared on the (G) 

47 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I know swaps take time and the MTA can change anything at any time but I haven’t heard anything else about the R46 and R160 swap. I thought more sets would have been swapped already. What’s the status of the swap? 

See the post above.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

Based on what I read regarding the R42's, the question I am trying to find the answer to is: what are the current status of the R42's? Are they truly retired or just reserved for contingency?

Also, what's the current status with Jamaica/Coney Island R46/R160 swap? I ridden both Queens Blvd and Broadway/Astoria the past few days and I still see R46's on the R and the N/W is 90% R160's.

2 minutes ago, Bracamonte said:

Based on what I read regarding the R42's, the question I am trying to find the answer to is: what are the current status of the R42's? Are they truly retired or just reserved for contingency?

Also, what's the current status with Jamaica/Coney Island R46/R160 swap? I ridden both Queens Blvd and Broadway/Astoria the past few days and I still see R46's on the R and the N/W is 90% R160's.

I don’t think any other R160s have been transferred. Probably in the new year, if anything. So far only 30 have been sent to Jamaica and remember CBTC is so far only during late nights when not many trains are needed for the (E) and (F) so maybe that’s why they’re not rushing to swap the cars as fast

1 hour ago, Bracamonte said:

And you will for the rest of December and probably most of January too, because it will take weeks to transfer enough R46 cars to CI to fully cover (G)(N)(W) service and enough CI R160s to fully cover (F)(R) service (there still are a fair amount of R46s on the (F)). I’ve definitely been seeing R46s on the (N) and (W), including yesterday and today. Even rode a train of them on the (N) a couple of weeks ago.

As for the R42s, I still see at least one a day in service on the (J) or (Z) during the rush, so they’re not fully done yet.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

4 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

And you will for the rest of December and probably most of January too, because it will take weeks to transfer enough R46 cars to CI to fully cover (G)(N)(W) service and enough CI R160s to fully cover (F)(R) service (there still are a fair amount of R46s on the (F)). I’ve definitely been seeing R46s on the (N) and (W), including yesterday and today. Even rode a train of them on the (N) a couple of weeks ago.

Whoops...the joy of posting on my iPhone while riding on an express bus with shit suspension on Astoria Blvd. I meant to press Edit, but accidentally pressed Quote and quoted my own post.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

2 hours ago, Bracamonte said:

Look at all of @m2fwannabe's most recent posts in this thread. Seems like he's telling the truth that those 30/50 R42s that were sent long ago from ENY to Pitkin have truly been retired from passenger service for good and are now in storage till further notice. Unless some more info is provided. The remaining 20 are still at ENY and operate at any given time depending on the dispatcher.

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

4824-4825-4831-4830-4816-4817-4799-4798 is layed up at 111th Street.

That was the last passenger consist on AM & PM Monday.  Don't know about Tuesday at all or thereafter.  The only spare pair at ENY as of Monday was 4790-91.  10 total.

Others to MK R-42 status as R-E-T-I-R-E-D on Monday (December 23) were 4788/9, 4794-7, 4804-7, 4810/1, 4832-5.  That's 40 of 50 retired so far.  A few that were at PTK are or have been to further for Work Service at Coney Island.  My guess is if Work Service or storage, first while at Pitkin and Coney Island, ultimately to the bone yard at Concourse until later joined by some of the Phase I R-32s.  Betting also many of the R-32's will die at 207 Street after the R-211s show up, as would whatever goes to Concourse for long-term.

3 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

As for the swaps, the fourth R-46 was December 20 (5534-7 with 5734-7) but not yet in service.  Dunno yet if there was a trade for an R160 to Jamaica.  The whole switch would be 396 R46s from Jamaica to Coney Island with some others (strongly hinted) to come over from surplus R46s from Pitkin for the differential thanks to the nine added R-179's (=13 minus 4 already moved last summer).  305 Alstom R160s will be moved Coney Island to Jamaica, plus 260 Siemens R160s, for a fleet total of 1,290 R160s (E)(F)(R) (The Borg), with 276 8-car R160s from ENY for the (M).

The completed swap if done at the same time would require about 17 weeks (some time in April).

Resistance is Futile...:ph34r:

14 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

My guess is if Work Service or storage, first while at Pitkin and Coney Island, ultimately to the bone yard at Concourse until later joined by some of the Phase I R-32s.

I should clarify that ANY large number retired of Phase I R-32's are likely AFTER the arrival of R-211's sooner or later.

31 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

That was the last passenger consist on AM & PM Monday.  Don't know about Tuesday at all or thereafter.  The only spare pair at ENY as of Monday was 4790-91.  10 total.

Others to MK R-42 status as R-E-T-I-R-E-D on Monday (December 23) were 4788/9, 4794-7, 4804-7, 4810/1, 4832-5.  That's 40 of 50 retired so far.  A few that were at PTK are or have been to further for Work Service at Coney Island.  My guess is if Work Service or storage, first while at Pitkin and Coney Island, ultimately to the bone yard at Concourse until later joined by some of the Phase I R-32s.  Betting also many of the R-32's will die at 207 Street after the R-211s show up, as would whatever goes to Concourse for long-term.

Look below.

1 hour ago, Shore El Express said:

At ENY earlier today there were around 16 R42s, all pairs except for one 6-car consist.

2 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

As for the swaps, the fourth R-46 was December 20 (5534-7 with 5734-7) but not yet in service.  Dunno yet if there was a trade for an R160 to Jamaica.  The whole switch would be 396 R46s from Jamaica to Coney Island with some others (strongly hinted) to come over from surplus R46s from Pitkin for the differential thanks to the nine added R-179's (=13 minus 4 already moved last summer).  305 Alstom R160s will be moved Coney Island to Jamaica, plus 260 Siemens R160s, for a fleet total of 1,290 R160s (E)(F)(R) (The Borg), with 276 8-car R160s from ENY for the (M).

The completed swap if done at the same time would require about 17 weeks (some time in April).

Resistance is Futile...:ph34r:

The (M) already is fully R160. Unless they’re deciding to unify the fleet by car number. Also R46’s are being sent to Coney Island, while Jamaica only received it’s original sets back. 92xx/94xx (30 cars) however, the Swap is contingent on inspection, justified late clears, storage space, and efficiency. There is no set deadline unless CBTC goes live on a set tentative date. So far the Qns Blvd CBTC is Projected Year completion, which is 2022. The (Q) and (N) will pretty much still be dominated with R160’s til late 2021. 

Edited by VIP
Vocabulary adjustments

41 minutes ago, VIP said:

The (M) already is fully R160. Unless they’re deciding to unify the fleet by car number. Also R46’s are being sent to Coney Island, while Jamaica only received it’s original sets back. 92xx/94xx (30 cars) however, the Swap is contingent on inspection, justified late clears, storage space, and efficiency. There is no set deadline unless CBTC goes live on a set tentative date. So far the Qns Blvd CBTC is Projected Year completion, which is 2022. The (Q) and (N) will pretty much still be dominated with R160’s til late 2021. 

There were only 20 R160s that first went back to Jamaica, unless there were 10 more in the past week or so.  Correct there is no unknown for completion of the swap against when CBTC is completed but the numbers (fleet assignments) will be the same either quickly (soonest the spring of 2020) or slowest into "late 2021."  Not up to me fer sure, some of the CI's I know are (both barns) are flipping their wigs about it.  45 years of R46 at Jamaica can be easier for many and have already been far more than typical career service time.

11 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

I heard those R42's might enter service on the (A) due to it loosing some R46's and for spares if an R179 or R32 act up.

It would make sense instead of downright retiring them. Even with the 13 sets of R179's, less than half are oos for some problem. I can see the A-A R46's going to make the G 6 cars with about 36-40 R32's going to CI for spares (8 car (G) trains) in the future.

7 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

There were only 20 R160s that first went back to Jamaica, unless there were 10 more in the past week or so.  Correct there is no unknown for completion of the swap against when CBTC is completed but the numbers (fleet assignments) will be the same either quickly (soonest the spring of 2020) or slowest into "late 2021."  Not up to me fer sure, some of the CI's I know are (both barns) are flipping their wigs about it.  45 years of R46 at Jamaica can be easier for many and have already been far more than typical career service time.

This is why they should wait until the R211's come in instead of pushing this so fast for partial cbtc. By 2022 there should be a good amount of R211's in service. They could balance the fleet out with more R160's until Jamaica gets their set amount of R211's.

12 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

It was just last week I rode in 4831. I guess that’s one of the last R42 holdouts in passenger service. 

9 hours ago, VIP said:

Ah ok, so no need to get those “last rides” on R160s on Brighton and Sea Beach. Yes, I figured it’s still going to be some time before Queens Blvd CBTC work is done.

2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

It was just last week I rode in 4831. I guess that’s one of the last R42 holdouts in passenger service. 

Ah ok, so no need to get those “last rides” on R160s on Brighton and Sea Beach. Yes, I figured it’s still going to be some time before Queens Blvd CBTC work is done.

Yeah. Even the (6)(7) swap took 2 years to complete. They should have just waited for the R211s considering that they are most likely going to be assigned to the (A)(C)(E)(F) and Rockaway (S) anyways, and then those R160s have to be sent back, because of the high passenger flow capacity the R211s are expected to yield.

Edited by darkstar8983

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

This is why they should wait until the R211's come in instead of pushing this so fast for partial cbtc. By 2022 there should be a good amount of R211's in service. They could balance the fleet out with more R160's until Jamaica gets their set amount of R211's.

You do know that 2022 is a projected year right? Look what happened with the R179’s... the R211’s has to also test and get kinks ironed out. So 2023-2024 is your best bet that the cars will be in full service. 

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I heard those R42's might enter service on the (A) due to it loosing some R46's and for spares if an R179 or R32 act up.

It would make sense instead of downright retiring them. Even with the 13 sets of R179's, less than half are oos for some problem. I can see the A-A R46's going to make the G 6 cars with about 36-40 R32's going to CI for spares (8 car (G) trains) in the future.

Nah.