Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

2 hours ago, YungMarxian said:

From the operator/conductor perspective, is the 46 less enjoyable to operate than the 160?

From a train operator's perspective, i love the handle on the r 46. The power positions are also clearly marked/etched into the master controller setup. 

I slightly prefer operating the 46s because they feel like a real train. The 160s feel like operating a video game. Conversely, it's harder to accidentlaly put a 160 than a 46 into emergency.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Which cars were the absolute worst to work on (including now-retired ones)?

I initially hated operating the 32s because they were hard to stop properly. But recently i posted on the a out of far rock and i operated it like i would a 68/68a and im in love with them now.

2 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

"Quite a few" is a bit of a stretch. Most of the 160's left at CI are used on the on (Q) The other day on the (N) line my partner asked the dispatcher if we would get 'lucky' and he laughed right in our faces. There was nothing but 46's on the road. 

@MarkGuy Thanks! I'm just as confused as you are it still hasn't sunk in fully haha. 

I bet you love the commute now!

It seems that the (C) has a on-off relation with its current fleet. There are R32s that's the con as the Fulton passengers were struggling with old cars most of the time before 160s/179s were on the line but it's good for service (as in spare free). Meanwhile, the 179s are there for service. However, there are flaws that could be fixed. 

*Same with the (A) with its R46s and R179s. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Richard Lewis 1 said:

I Hate R46 N Because its Trash

What you’re stating is confusing... How can the same exact cars be “trash” on one line and great on the (F)(R)? It’s either they’re “trash” or not....

Also, you’re comments have been rather random. Consider using the Random Thoughts thread.

3 minutes ago, Richard Lewis 1 said:

I Hate R160 F R Because its Trash... R211 Comming On (F)(R) CBTC.Train R160 Alstom Go Back To Coney Island Yard 

it was even stated back in January 2019 that R211 will be in conjunction with QBL CBTC, CBTC in QBL will be fully completed and activated in Q4 2021 that time R211s will be on service.

I Hope and Wish for R160s to be return back to it's same home (Coney Island Yard) that was swapped out.

1 minute ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

it was even stated back in January 2019 that R211 will be in conjunction with QBL CBTC, CBTC in QBL will be fully completed and activated in Q4 2021 that time R211s will be on service.

I Hope and Wish for R160s to be return back to it's same home (Coney Island Yard) that was swapped out.

Agree I Can't wait

33 minutes ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

Same and I Feel you, I Hate the R46s on the (N)(Q)(W) Trains and they are Shit.

Just let it die already...

Whine all you want, sue the MTA, hell, go down with pickets and march outside of 2 Broadway. They're still putting them in Coney Island Yard whether you like it or not. Astoria will be getting CBTC in the next five years, so you're guaranteed your tech trains back in due time. Plus, the R46s should be retired by then, so it's not even that big of an issue. Sheesh! 

Edited by Enjineer

9 hours ago, Enjineer said:

My bad, misremembered the Fast Forward CBTC 5-year plan. Regardless, the R46s are nearing the end of their lives. 

It wasn't part of Fast Forward. It was added afterwards due to high ridership, and to deal with the merges in the 11th Street Cut.