MTA Bus Operations: Scrapped Equipment List

The TransitMan

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd estimate about a week or so for the remaining OGs at Quill. Basically, those buses did formally retire (6700, 6709, etc.) but were not scrapped and sat at Quill on hold. I think fareboxes were still inside, not sure. During the LFS HEV meltdown, everything in the depot not yet stripped was reactivated and that's why we saw the return. But with all the loans returning and the LFSes coming back one-by-one, the regular retirement schedule should be back in effect soon. 

6700 is still notable as one of the last buses with Arial numbers, from the very beginning of the new-scheme repaint program for the OGs. To my knowledge, at NYCT the only other buses with those numbers were in the 6490-6689 series, and all the 6690+ buses were repainted later with the right numbers. Can't totally remember but I think 6700 never received roof numbers, either.

38 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

I'd estimate about a week or so for the remaining OGs at Quill. Basically, those buses did formally retire (6700, 6709, etc.) but were not scrapped and sat at Quill on hold. I think fareboxes were still inside, not sure. During the LFS HEV meltdown, everything in the depot not yet stripped was reactivated and that's why we saw the return. But with all the loans returning and the LFSes coming back one-by-one, the regular retirement schedule should be back in effect soon. 

6700 is still notable as one of the last buses with Arial numbers, from the very beginning of the new-scheme repaint program for the OGs. To my knowledge, at NYCT the only other buses with those numbers were in the 6490-6689 series, and all the 6690+ buses were repainted later with the right numbers. Can't totally remember but I think 6700 never received roof numbers, either.

I’ve seen 6700’s roof about a year ago, it does indeed have roof numbers 

1 minute ago, 1train2255railfan said:

I’ve seen 6700’s roof about a year ago, it does indeed have roof numbers 

Just went back to check – it was *before* this paint job, from after it got whiteback'd until the new scheme that it had no roof numbers. So probably 2009/2010 to 2014 or so. They must have added with the new scheme.

On 11/20/2021 at 9:08 AM, MTABusTransitFanner said:
  On 11/4/2021 at 10:35 AM, JAzumah said:

Those are all 2008 MCIs, correct?

A little early for retirement. What gives besides the hot exhausts?

On 11/20/2021 at 9:08 AM, MTABusTransitFanner said:

Yes 

The timing of retirement does not seem to make much sense, at least to an outsider to the MTA, yet the taxpayer like myself. For example, the MCI flipdots long time ago removed from depots other that CP served for years until recently. Many of them stayed even longer due to delays in delivery of the Prevost units caused by the pandemic. Similarly, the 2004-2006 MCI CLs are limited to a few depots, but all of a sudden are transferred back to CAS, since there is a need for them, and they seem good enough for the job. The Orions are retired en masse from the NYCT depots, but are holding fine for now in the MTA bus depots.

Is it the case that the MTA bus gets the best older buses and the NYCT keeps the worst ones? Not that I know of.

The only logical explanation is that buses are retired when the new replacement units come, otherwise they are kept pretty much for as long as needed. Does that make economic sense? I would argue not always, but this may be a topic for another discussion.

Replacing buses becomes way easier when the feds are handing out money. They can definitely get 20+ years out of these buses like they did the RTS and Detroit MCIs but if there’s no need to, then they’re going. 

The XDE and LFS orders are specifically targeting the Orion OGs for replacement and some of the NGs. If you’ve noticed, NYCT has been sending hand me downs over to MTA Bus to retire something until an order comes in. (First with the RTS, then the first OGs and now the NGs) All of the depots that have/had OGs are getting new buses right now.

The next local bus order is definitely going for the NGs and some of the 2011 fleet. The next express order is going to make this Prevost city unless MCI pulls something. 

The other thing with the retirement and replacing of buses depends on maintenance too. Depots and boros are coming down to one manufacturer across the whole fleet. (Unless you’re Quill, then you’re getting everything) The CTs that were retired from Castle were due to mechanical issues. Meredith was getting their new buses so they sent the older Prevosts to replace them. The CLs are going to Charleston for the SIM23/24 and it makes sense to send CLs because they already have them. They don’t have to do much. Once the option order of Prevosts come in (or maybe the rest of Meredith’s buses), those CLs are gone. 

So you’re right that a bus gets retired when there’s a replacement for them. Sometimes, some moves are just to buy time till the next order, or if people complain enough. 

10 hours ago, TomaszSBklyn said:

The timing of retirement does not seem to make much sense, at least to an outsider to the MTA, yet the taxpayer like myself. For example, the MCI flipdots long time ago removed from depots other that CP served for years until recently. Many of them stayed even longer due to delays in delivery of the Prevost units caused by the pandemic. Similarly, the 2004-2006 MCI CLs are limited to a few depots, but all of a sudden are transferred back to CAS, since there is a need for them, and they seem good enough for the job. The Orions are retired en masse from the NYCT depots, but are holding fine for now in the MTA bus depots.

Is it the case that the MTA bus gets the best older buses and the NYCT keeps the worst ones? Not that I know of.

The only logical explanation is that buses are retired when the new replacement units come, otherwise they are kept pretty much for as long as needed. Does that make economic sense? I would argue not always, but this may be a topic for another discussion.

I guess you don't understand that MTA Bus is treated like a stepchild. They really didn't want to acquire the private bus lines but were forced to. That's why they'll send buses too old for NYC Bus to MTA Bus.

5 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

The XDE and LFS orders are specifically targeting the Orion OGs for replacement and some of the NGs. If you’ve noticed, NYCT has been sending hand me downs over to MTA Bus to retire something until an order comes in. (First with the RTS, then the first OGs and now the NGs) All of the depots that have/had OGs are getting new buses right now.

The next local bus order is definitely going for the NGs and some of the 2011 fleet. The next express order is going to make this Prevost city unless MCI pulls something. 

Any word on the number of coaches they're looking at for the next order?

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

Edit: Nvm, lemme verify that. It says 250 for MTA Bus (which could be the Prevosts) and 92 for NYCT. 

1300-1629 are the first 330 (257 MTA Bus + 50 NYCT + 23 NYCT SIM23/24).

1630-1971 could potentially be the next 342 (250 MTA Bus + 92 NYCT) if all are Prevost, or some other fleet number if they are MCI.

That would be a total of 672 new coaches. If they retire all the older MCIs (D4500CL, D4500CT), and we add the old 390 Prevost (2400-2789) and assume all buses are active and not written off just for the sake of counting, that would be a total of 1062 coaches.

6 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

1300-1629 are the first 330 (257 MTA Bus + 50 NYCT + 23 NYCT SIM23/24).

1630-1971 could potentially be the next 342 (250 MTA Bus + 92 NYCT) if all are Prevost, or some other fleet number if they are MCI.

That would be a total of 672 new coaches. If they retire all the older MCIs (D4500CL, D4500CT), and we add the old 390 Prevost (2400-2789) and assume all buses are active and not written off just for the sake of counting, that would be a total of 1062 coaches.

Is this another base order or this is options to possibly be exercised?

10 hours ago, UTC Bus Roster said:

I guess you don't understand that MTA Bus is treated like a stepchild. They really didn't want to acquire the private bus lines but were forced to. That's why they'll send buses too old for NYC Bus to MTA Bus.

Thanks for the clarification. I kind of suspected that, but was not completely sure.

19 hours ago, UTC Bus Roster said:

It’s interesting that they didn’t want the PBL routes even though it made 100% sense to take those routes. The ex PBL routes received tons of improvements under the MTA many of which were desperately needed and it always makes me wonder how things would be today if those routes were still ran by NYCDOT.
The one thing I dislike is how MTA bus is a dumping ground for old NYCT buses. I was hoping we could finally get brand new buses at BP, LGA and JFK to replace the aging Orion VII OG’s but instead they are getting a ton of Orion VII NG’s <_<

10 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It’s interesting that they didn’t want the PBL routes even though it made 100% sense to take those routes. The ex PBL routes received tons of improvements under the MTA many of which were desperately needed and it always makes me wonder how things would be today if those routes were still ran by NYCDOT.
The one thing I dislike is how MTA bus is a dumping ground for old NYCT buses. I was hoping we could finally get brand new buses at BP, LGA and JFK to replace the aging Orion VII OG’s but instead they are getting a ton of Orion VII NG’s <_<

Not all was sunshine and rainbows. Look at how they butchered the QM21 and other routes. 

Jamaica Buses,NYBS,Liberty Lines,Command and Queens Surface were fine. Green Lines and Triboro were the the only 2 that had issues and the (MTA) takeover was mainly political and it is true that (MTA) wanted nothing to do with taking over the Privates because they knew it was going to be very expensive.

It makes me sick to this day that Jamaica Buses is no more, Had the Best maintained Fleet alongside NYBS.

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Not all was sunshine and rainbows. Look at how they butchered the QM21 and other routes. 

Jamaica Buses,NYBS,Liberty Lines,Command and Queens Surface were fine. Green Lines and Triboro were the the only 2 that had issues and the (MTA) takeover was mainly political and it is true that (MTA) wanted nothing to do with taking over the Privates because they knew it was going to be very expensive.

It makes me sick to this day that Jamaica Buses is no more, Had the Best maintained Fleet alongside NYBS.

You are right! Not everything about the takeover was good. The amount of express service that the PBL’s offered in comparison the MTA Bus is a night and day difference. 
I always like to use my home express line the QM4 for example. The QM4 lost half its ridership from the last/early days of the takeover to recent years. The QM4 used to be have more rush hour service (5-10 mins) back in 2004/2005 and it used to operate every 30 mins to Midtown during the afternoon hours and every 30 mins to Electchester during the late AM and early PM hours. There used to be lines for the QM4 at a few of the stops like Parsons Blvd, Kissena Blvd, and Main Street whereas nowadays you have a few dedicated express bus riders and the rest of the ridership consist of a bunch of stragglers who may take the QM4/QM44 one day but are on the Q64 the next day. In the heart of rush hour it is not uncommon to see a QM4 skip a major stop like Kissena Blvd because no one wants to use it whereas back then it always used to have a few people waiting for it. Sad how times have changed but I think it’s totally the MTA’s fault for not doing more to make express bus service attractive. They just want to force everyone on local/LTD buses and the subway when you have all these empty/ have full buses going into Midtown and back each day. 

I think Baisley Park does a good job maintaining their buses. Their Orion VII’s which make up the entire Q64, Q110 and Q112 fleet is 14-15 years old, so at this point they need to go. Their XD60’s get trashed like the ones the Q44 uses because of the people who utilize those routes. 

On 11/23/2021 at 7:40 AM, Harry said:

What ever happened to this bus? I didn't see anything on the forums about it.

211 (CP) is Likely being Repaired RN it isn't that bad  

this is the aftermath is isn't too bad and could be back by Dec
Screenshot_20211115-014812_Google.jpg

Edited by Bx41 boi
showing Aftermath

18 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

The takeover by MTA Bus greatly improved maintenance at the former Triboro and Green Bus garages.