Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

I'm taking the conductor exam this weekend what kind of question do they ask on the exam and how many question does the exam have

It's all reading comprehension and a lot of tricky wordings that need a lot of attention. Also, some questions based on charts and maps given. 80 questions in total. Take your time and don't worry about someone getting up and finishing before you. Worry about your own exam and good luck, friend!

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a little concerned about how they expect to rank this ocean of people that took the test when the test is that easy. Definitely prayed going in and I believe prayers get answered but after reading a bit on how these lists work I certainly won't be holding my breath. But good things come to those who wait.

Just a question...Assuming I get a pretty good score (say 95)...what's a good ballpark estimate on how long I'll be waiting to get called given the current conditions? I noticed that they've postponed the T/O exam (again) and perhaps they might cancel it this year (again), so I figured if the wait is going to be a year or longer I could take a temp job or two while waiting so I could qualify for the T/O open if it comes back next year (I only meet the 4 years college credit req, all my work thus far has been independent contractor). Trying to be a little strategic with my timing.

Like I stated earlier, after the exam has been given, the protest sessions will take place, in which the test takers, also known as all of us, will have an opportunity to state why our answer(s) are better than theirs, with the hope of either them throwing the question out, changing the proposed answer key, etc. After this happens, like 10 months to a year, a list will come out, with everyone's score and list number that got higher than a 70% score, which was needed just to pass the test.

Once the list comes out, and they start calling people, then we will have a better idea. However, just to answer your question, for argument's sake, we will use this list (again, argument sake). Click on "show" and the list will pop up.

You got a 95% score, therefore your list # can be anywhere from 1897 to 3226. Say, for example, they call 1,000 candidates per year. If this is true (which will not happen), if your list number is exactly 3,000, then you will get called in 3 years.

Say, for example, they call 400 candidates per year, and your list number is exactly 2,000. You will get called in 5 years.

Got it? Right now, we just have to be patient. If you need another idea, or sample, of a list, click here. Note that during the protest, they threw out a question or two, that's why the decimal places in this list are three digits, compared to one.

Sorry!  I had no intention of being a backseat moderator!  I truly didn't mean to act that way.  I was just trying to be helpful.

Apology accepted.

I know alot of people want to to work for transit but, it is a long and tedious process. I have taken many city exams besides just transit and, its all a waiting game. the last conductor exam had around 14,000 people pass the exam that's not including the ones to failed. The trick or should i say the best way to position yourself is to score very high and, stay out of trouble that's it. The day will come when the letter comes in the mail. I notice a lot of people get anxious when it comes down to it or, make it more complicated than it really is. Just be cool. Score between 95 to 100 and you'll be just fine. 

I was on the last conductor exam given and, i scored a 91% and still havent been called yet. I know now that i could had scored higher and, I would had been in. Some people have to take the exam twice before they were finally called. 

Edited by tdevon2012

Like I stated earlier, after the exam has been given, the protest sessions will take place, in which the test takers, also known as all of us, will have an opportunity to state why our answer(s) are better than theirs, with the hope of either them throwing the question out, changing the proposed answer key, etc. After this happens, like 10 months to a year, a list will come out, with everyone's score and list number that got higher than a 70% score, which was needed just to pass the test.

Once the list comes out, and they start calling people, then we will have a better idea. However, just to answer your question, for argument's sake, we will use this list (again, argument sake). Click on "show" and the list will pop up.

You got a 95% score, therefore your list # can be anywhere from 1897 to 3226. Say, for example, they call 1,000 candidates per year. If this is true (which will not happen), if your list number is exactly 3,000, then you will get called in 3 years.

Say, for example, they call 400 candidates per year, and your list number is exactly 2,000. You will get called in 5 years.

Got it? Right now, we just have to be patient. If you need another idea, or sample, of a list, click here. Note that during the protest, they threw out a question or two, that's why the decimal places in this list are three digits, compared to one.

Apology accepted.

for the protesting, do you have to be there to receive credit? so say we both had the same answer, but they marked it wrong. if you went to the protest session and they deemed your answer/reasoning was valid and gave you credit for that answer, would I also get it corrected if I don't go?

for the protesting, do you have to be there to receive credit? so say we both had the same answer, but they marked it wrong. if you went to the protest session and they deemed your answer/reasoning was valid and gave you credit for that answer, would I also get it corrected if I don't go?

I would assume so. It wouldn't be quite fair otherwise.

Has anyone ever protested a question? My sheet says to go to the Livingston location on a certain date between 10am and 12pm and they will give you a copy of the test to look at. Can anyone give me any details as to what it's like when you get there? Was there a long line of people? Should you show up early? Is two hours enough time to explain why you think your answer is "as good or better" than the answer they gave? Are you notified if you're successful or do you have to wait until they post the scores?

I'm obsessing over some of the questions (am I the only one?!?) and there might be several I want to protest. Can anyone who has actually protested a question talk about their experience?

Has anyone ever protested a question? My sheet says to go to the Livingston location on a certain date between 10am and 12pm and they will give you a copy of the test to look at. Can anyone give me any details as to what it's like when you get there? Was there a long line of people? Should you show up early? Is two hours enough time to explain why you think your answer is "as good or better" than the answer they gave? Are you notified if you're successful or do you have to wait until they post the scores?

I'm obsessing over some of the questions (am I the only one?!?) and there might be several I want to protest. Can anyone who has actually protested a question talk about their experience?

I went to the Station Agent protest and it was only 4 of us. You get there, you walk into a class room. You will be asked what day and time you took the exam. The lady will give you that booklet with several sheets of paper. There's no discusssense You can't ask them any questions, well you can, but will be told they can't say. You have write down the question you are protesting, and explain why your answer make more logical sense. When I was done I asked the lady how long will it take for me to hear anything back about the protest. She had no idea. So I asked do they even let us know anything. She said " I dont know". So before I left I asked do they even change the answer if a lot of ppl protest the same question. She said " I dont know I just have to wait". So I'm not saying its not worth it, but It wasn't what I was expecting. For some reason I had it in my pretty Lil head that it will be more like an open discussion. It was more like write it down. I can't answer any of your questions... Now leave. She was very nice tho, just doing what she was told.

I went to the Station Agent protest and it was only 4 of us. You get there, you walk into a class room. You will be asked what day and time you took the exam....

Sounds very similar to a protest session at DCAS, the only exception is that it was on the computer and not pencil and paper...

Thanks for the feedback on the protest session you attended, @Egyptianeyes.

I'm not sure it will be worth it for me to attend the protest session. I'm just hoping for the best. I thought the conductor test seemed fair, though it was a bit harder than I expected because of some tricky answer choices on maybe 20% of the questions, and a few multi-part logical reasoning questions that I think I got right (after double and triple checking my answers) but which took a long time to answer.

I'm sure the conductor exam protest session will be crowded because so much will be riding on each additional correct exam answer, given how many people took this exam.

I know alot of people want to to work for transit but, it is a long and tedious process. I have taken many city exams besides just transit and, its all a waiting game. the last conductor exam had around 14,000 people pass the exam that's not including the ones to failed. The trick or should i say the best way to position yourself is to score very high and, stay out of trouble that's it. The day will come when the letter comes in the mail. I notice a lot of people get anxious when it comes down to it or, make it more complicated than it really is. Just be cool. Score between 95 to 100 and you'll be just fine. 

I was on the last conductor exam given and, i scored a 91% and still havent been called yet. I know now that i could had scored higher and, I would had been in. Some people have to take the exam twice before they were finally called. 

Are you referring about 8094? That was over 7 years ago no?

Good luck, dac9050.

I think they recalculate correct answers after the protest session before creating an official list.

Would October be a realistic time for the official list to be released?

Then February or March 2017 to start processing people off that list?

The key issue is how many conductors they need, and whether they're going to need more than they have in the past.

Good luck, dac9050.

I think they recalculate correct answers after the protest session before creating an official list.

The key issue is how many conductors they need, and whether they're going to need more than they have in the past.

Honesty, it's anyone's guess. However, from my experience, since I've taken several city exams with Transit & DCAS, my educated guess would be one [1] year before the list gets released. A few months after the list is released, then they should start calling candidates.

Again, this is just my educated guess.

Good luck, dac9050.

Let's keep in mind exam 8094 has been extended until February 2017. Once 8094 is done they will move to the MTA promotional conductor exam first. With the promotional exam every person who took and passed it will get called. Even the ones with only 70%. Meaning our wait could be longer then we think. It will all depends on how long the promotional list is. 8094 shouldn't have been extended again. It was extended once or twice already. They should've just went straight to the promotional exam. I pray I'm wrong but we might be waiting over 2years before they start calling us.

Let's keep in mind exam 8094 has been extended until February 2017. Once 8094 is done they will move to the MTA promotional conductor exam first. With the promotional exam every person who took and passed it will get called. Even the ones with only 70%. Meaning our wait could be longer then we think. It will all depends on how long the promotional list is. 8094 shouldn't have been extended again. It was extended once or twice already. They should've just went straight to the promotional exam. I pray I'm wrong but we might be waiting over 2years before they start calling us.

If that's a realistic guess, looks like I'll be a Court Officer by then; they've already started canvassing the last exam and it's been almost 2 years already. I wanted to be a conductor but it looks like it ain't happening anytime soon. Well, you guys might have one less person to worry about.

Took the exam yesterday. Gotta say, it's all reading comprehension. Take your time & read everything carefully.

They gave the late comers a 30 min grace period.

Where did you take the test? I was turned away after being 10mins late.

I took my exam at FDR and I'm pretty sure there was a grace period for my exam as well because around 3 I still seen people coming in.

They told us to call a number on the letter but it just says all test dates have been scheduled and hangs up. They made it seem like it was a new procedure going forward from this test. I know I was late and all but this has me pissed.

I took the exam at FDR HS, Brooklyn, as well. I took it on Saturday 4/23 in the morning. They moved us from the auditorium to the classrooms at about 8:50, but we didn't start until about 9:50.

That sucks about being turned away - sometimes Transit is just unforgiving.