L Train Service Between Brooklyn & Manhattan May Be Shut Down For Years

RollOver

If the (L) gets suspended between 8th Avenue and Bedford Avenue so the agency can get the 14th Street Tubes fixed, that will at least free up some cars, given that the running time between Bedford Avenue and Rockaway Parkaway is a bit less than the running time between 8th Avenue and Rockaway Parkway. The (L) 's headways will still be kept, however. Even when the R179s arrive, the R32s are still staying put. Therefore, there will be enough cars to increase the (J) / (Z), (M) and (G) fleet for some more service during the 14th Street Tube Shutdown. It all makes sense.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Wallyhorse: Give it a rest. We've humored your repetitive posts for quite some time. If you keep posting the same thing despite being told why one of your ideas wouldn't happen, we will start treating it as spam and act accordingly.

I already mentioned upthread my plan of the (M) being split into:

The (M) running as it does now (max 8 TPH 19/5) to 71-Contential

The (T) running as a supplement (5-7 TPH) weekdays and as the main line late nights (3-5 TPH) and weekends (7-9 TPH) to 96th/2nd.

I can't see the (MTA) have the (M) terminate at all at Queens Plaza due to there being too big of a risk of ONE unruly passenger who refuses to get off at QP causing a major clusterf*** 

Don't you ever get tired of saying the exact same proposals you came up with 3,000 times?

Any change of equipment or full length R68s? The R42s have a possibility of staying as long as the R32s as well now.

Don't you ever get tired of saying the exact same proposals you came up with 3,000 times?

I think we should let the dog chase after its tail hey one time he might surprise us with a good proposal.

The G will probably run full length R68s or R160s

CI will gain extra cars [ more likely R160s from jamaica] and jamaica would probably gain more R46s from pitkn in place of those R160s while the A has more R32s but of course this is all subject to change

The G will probably run full length R68s or R160s

CI will gain extra cars [ more likely R160s from jamaica] and jamaica would probably gain more R46s from pitkn in place of those R160s while the A has more R32s but of course this is all subject to change

As much as I prefer 60 feet (A) trains, putting R32s on the line probably won't happen since the fleet expansion/service increases are mainly for the (G), (J) and (M)

If the (L) gets suspended between 8th Avenue and Bedford Avenue so the agency can get the 14th Street Tubes fixed, that will at least free up some cars, given that the running time between Bedford Avenue and Rockaway Parkaway is a bit less than the running time between 8th Avenue and Rockaway Parkway. The (L) 's headways will still be kept, however. Even when the R179s arrive, the R32s are still staying put. Therefore, there will be enough cars to increase the (J) / (Z), (M) and (G) fleet for some more service during the 14th Street Tube Shutdown. It all makes sense.

When you say "free up some cars", does that mean some 143s are going elsewhere?

As much as I prefer 60 feet (A) trains, putting R32s on the line probably won't happen since the fleet expansion/service increases are mainly for the (G), (J) and (M).

The (A) has a chance of loosing a chunk of R46's to Jamaica to push out their R160's to CI to cover for the lost of R68's for full length (G) service, the (A) and (C) capacity will also be increasd by 10%, the (M) will see the most increases, ENY will still have some R32's probably but we will see in 2019

The (A) has a chance of loosing a chunk of R46's to Jamaica to push out their R160's to CI to cover for the lost of R68's for full length (G) service, the (A) and (C) capacity will also be increasd by 10%, the (M) will see the most increases, ENY will still have some R32's probably but we will see in 2019

What would the (A) get back in return?

it would probibly be the L's 160 fleet that gets redirected.

There's that many 160s on the (L) ?

Hmmm, what have we here?

G trains will double in length, from four to eight cars, snagging additional ones left out of use from the L train line, according to Veronique "Ronnie" Hakim, the NYC Transit President.

R143 (G) trains in our future?

R160 (B) and (D) trains? Once they get NTTs they won't be willing to give them up.

The (G) to make it full length would require 52 more 75" cars making the total amount of 104 cars (13 sets of 8 car trains) for the (G), the (G) currently uses 13 train sets, the (B) would loose 6 sets of R68's + 4 cars, they'll ether put R160's on the (B) or whatever the ta decides, Jamaica would loose 65 R160's, again this is just my speculation and this can be subject to change, but CIY will need over 125 cars 60 this fall for the (W) and 65 in 2019 when the (G) goes full length

I already mentioned upthread my plan of the (M) being split into:

The (M) running as it does now (max 8 TPH 19/5) to 71-Contential

The (T) running as a supplement (5-7 TPH) weekdays and as the main line late nights (3-5 TPH) and weekends (7-9 TPH) to 96th/2nd.

I can't see the (MTA) have the (M) terminate at all at Queens Plaza due to there being too big of a risk of ONE unruly passenger who refuses to get off at QP causing a major clusterf***

One compromise I would be looking at is sending the (G) to Queens Plaza, timed so it can quickly switch tracks while minimally interfering with the (E) and (M) going north. That allows (G) riders to switch to the (R) going to Manhattan there and evenly distribute riders there. Also, if you have a problem with an unruly passenger on a (G), you can simply send the (R) via 63rd as a work-around.

This... wasn't really the response I was hoping for. Let me ask this question again. Has the MTA mentioned anything about how they're planning to run the (M) on weekends to supplement the (L) shutdown? Astoria residents would definitely appreciate (M) service seven days a week, and a lot of people here are curious.

This... wasn't really the response I was hoping for. Let me ask this question again. Has the MTA mentioned anything about how they're planning to run the (M) on weekends to supplement the (L) shutdown? Astoria residents would definitely appreciate (M) service seven days a week, and a lot of people here are curious.

They haven't, but at a minimum, the M should be running to Essex St 24/7 for the transfer to the (F). On the weekends, I could see the train running to 57th St at all times outside outside late night so that (D)(N)(Q)(R)(6) riders have a one-transfer ride into North Brooklyn.

The (L) will lose a lot of its fleet during the shutdown, since it will be running on 8-minute headways at all times except late nights.

Really?

Well, I guess it kinda does make sense to lower the headways a little bit given that most of the people trying to get to Manhattan will be pushed off to the other lines nearby in whatever neighborhoods that the (L) serves. Those who live near the line and only need it to travel within the Brooklyn portion of the line will still take it though.

for some reason if gentrification didn't happen along the (L) there would be no crying 

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/train-rider-tunnel-shutdown-force-move-article-1.2628755

Indeed!  This conversation is mind blogging so much based on emotion and how people feel.. The major culprit here is people's lack of understanding of transportation and infrastructure. I don't understand what the communities want the MTA to do.? Once again is the MTA supposed to suspend math and science all together to appease the people maybe they should turn off gravity while they're at it.. We've build communities around and on our transport no one thought twice about what would happen if any were of these century old infrastructures where to fail community or politician alike. It's happened and now the thing that everyone took for granted is not so invisible. I hope this drums up the bigger discussion on transport in NYC and on funding and maintenance. The MTA has to do a better job of not looking like the money grubbing, slacker and incompetent agency that most of the city see's it as. That's part of the problem. In this case the MTA has a legitimate class A issue on it's hands and valid points but the people already see them as incompetent that speaking logical isn't even working. There going to really have to go on a PR blitz breaking it down into fully layman's terms!! Literally Train + crumbling tunnel = death.. I might have to stop by this May 12 event. It's like everyone is crying about something nowadays!! With no solutions not just on a community level but on a national level.

That's because the people normally accustomed to things like this are being forced out....

You would think this community would be more understanding being made up of a so called highly educated population. quote un quote. Just comes to show you education without being able to process and apply it means nothing.

You would think this community would be more understanding being made up of a so called highly educated population. quote un quote. Just comes to show you education without being able to process and apply it means nothing.

The fact that they don't even know how to look both ways before crossing the street tells you everything right there....

Archived