L Train Service Between Brooklyn & Manhattan May Be Shut Down For Years

RollOver

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then at broadway (G) station, moving the (M) to union av for a straight thru transfer should be a top priority in case something bad happens on the (L) line, since its terminus in brooklyn is near the sea, where the water had been flew through the storm drain, that is why the active track there is perished, and causing a huge delay forcing customers to take alternative routes or shuttle buses.

Therfore, the storm drain shouldnt be placed near the sea at Canarise in case of flooding due to any incoming inclement weather.

Rockaway Pkwy station is well over a mile away from the shore, and at street level exposed to the elements. The ocean won't affect subway service, and the station barely gets flooded.

Rockaway Pkwy station is well over a mile away from the shore, and at street level exposed to the elements. The ocean won't affect subway service, and the station barely gets flooded.

Wow. That's pretty amazing of that stop.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

If they do that they have to open the north entrance at Hewes St. The current entrance is too far to be convenient. But that apparently brings in ADA concerns.

I'm not entirely certain on the details, but because the entrances are not ADA compliant they possibly can't be reopened.

I just realized. Isn't the extra space for the S4th St. station around there? I wounder if that could be the springboard for connecting the unused Hewes exit directly underground, like they did at Court Sq. on the (7). We always think of connectig it to Lorimer, but since the Broadway exit of the (G) station is one end, the other end (where the S4 space is ) might be closer.

I just realized. Isn't the extra space for the S4th St. station around there? I wounder if that could be the springboard for connecting the unused Hewes exit directly underground, like they did at Court Sq. on the (7). We always think of connectig it to Lorimer, but since the Broadway exit of the (G) station is one end, the other end (where the S4 space is ) might be closer.

WOTvyTl.png

This is from the MTA’s neighborhood map. By the looks of it, Lorimer Street is closer and already has an active exit facing the Crosstown Line’s exits.

WOTvyTl.png

This is from the MTA’s neighborhood map. By the looks of it, Lorimer Street is closer and already has an active exit facing the Crosstown Line’s exits.

The station used to have a IND-style full-length mezzanine. It wouldn't be completely outrageous for a closed exit to exist at New Montrose Av.

The station used to have a IND-style full-length mezzanine. It wouldn't be completely outrageous for a closed exit to exist at New Montrose Av.

My bet is on South 4 Street. The IND has a habit of placing exits at the ends of stations, leaving the middle unserved.

WOTvyTl.png

But I wasn't going by active exits. I was talking about an internal connection (which woul probably plug up any street exit), so the currently closed exit would be good for that, and it's closer to the (G) station than Lorimer, and I was talking about using the S4 St. shell or any passages leading to it, assuming that some part of it might be on the west side of Union Ave, and thus even closer to Hewes.

My bet is on South 4 Street. The IND has a habit of placing exits at the ends of stations, leaving the middle unserved.

Yes, but the IND also wanted S 4 to be a mega-hub, and it's not unheard of to have middle exits in an IND station (14th St-8th Av comes to mind)

if they are gonna work on first ave then how would it be possible for a Manhattan shuttle?

Any shuttle would likely be four cars.  The part of 1st Avenue they would be working on would be the back half, so they would only need ONE half of ONE platform at 1st Avenue for a terminal (especially since the portion from 1st to just west of 3rd Avenue would have to be single-tracked anyway at all times).  

Any shuttle would likely be four cars. The part of 1st Avenue they would be working on would be the back half, so they would only need ONE half of ONE platform at 1st Avenue for a terminal (especially since the portion from 1st to just west of 3rd Avenue would have to be single-tracked anyway at all times).

Think about what you just said. Why in the world would they close HALF A PLATFORM!?! When in the time since the MTA was established has that happened?

Couldn't we just build a passageway that bisects the mezzanine like the connection at Jay Street-MetroTech?

Unlike the Jay St-MetroTech connection, Broadway is not as close to either Hewes St or Lorimer St for it to be as simple. Jay St was built almost on top of Lawrence St.

if they are gonna work on first ave then how would it be possible for a Manhattan shuttle?

Short answer, it's really unlikely.

Any shuttle would likely be four cars.  The part of 1st Avenue they would be working on would be the back half, so they would only need ONE half of ONE platform at 1st Avenue for a terminal (especially since the portion from 1st to just west of 3rd Avenue would have to be single-tracked anyway at all times).  

First, you're saying that without the shuttle, it will be pandemonium on 14th Street with all the additional buses and what not. So much so that you're advocating closing a quarter of Manhattan to all non-essential road traffic. Now it's good enough if they run four-car trains? Which one is it? Not that it really matters in the slightest.

If the presentation materials are anything to go by, they also need to replace the tracks and do structural work on the tunnels along with the electrical equipment repairs. Any structural repairs will close those tunnels to all traffic, which means they can't run any service on the Manhattan side without any way to service the cars. It's the same thing that will happen on Myrtle Ave next year, which is why the MTA is building a temporary maintenance facility at Fresh Pond Yard. How do you propose doing something similar for this 14th Street shuttle?

Think about what you just said. Why in the world would they close HALF A PLATFORM!?! When in the time since the MTA was established has that happened?

Culver Viaduct rehab. Of course, that was a temporary platform, but it was half-length.

Yes I know what you meant Lance, but Wally is suggesting shutting down half of the platforms at First Avenue when all of it needs to go under renovation.

Half of it with regard to building the ADA facility on the Avenue A end.  That part will NOT be needed during that time.

You might have to figure out a way to be able to do maintenance on the Manhattan side because I suspect pols are going to insist on 14th Street on the Manhattan end being kept open during the tunnel shutdown out of the concerns I have and constituents who live east of 1st Avenue whose only other subway options there are Essex-Delancey and 2nd Avenue at Houston (which has a 1st Avenue entrance/exit).

Archived