Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

What's preventing them is a lack of money and the fact that they're pushing SBS.

Besides: you said that ridership has gone since the opening of Barclay's so I doubt the LIRR would just give away the line like that if they know they can make a lot of money on game days.

Edited by Vistausss

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's preventing NYCT from running it like an isolated stepchild the same way LIRR is planning to do? It provides an actual Queens-Brooklyn connection from a major bus hub (Jamaica) to Atlantic Terminal and all the trains serving it, and if they decide to reactivate Woodhaven or build new stations (perhaps at Utica, among other locations), it can provide relief to the (A) and (3).

It's certainly a step above the current Queens-Brooklyn connections, which are infuriatingly hard due to the lack of IND-BMT/IRT transfers besides Metrotech and 4th/9th.

And besides Atlantic Ave where you can transfer to the BMT Fourth Ave line for Brooklyn service.

What's preventing them is a lack of money and the fact that they're pushing SBS.

Besides: you said that ridership has gone since the opening of Barclay's so I doubt the LIRR would just give away the line like that if they know they can make a lot of money on game days.

Again, it really depends on what management wants to do post East Side Access. All prior plans have indicated that they will be building a separate platform for Atlantic Branch services in between the current set of platforms and the AirTrain building, and that they will hive off the branch for a shuttle. If it does become a shuttle, odds are that ridership will drop, and then it becomes a question of "Why is LIRR bothering to operate an inner-city shuttle?"

Handing it over to NYCT requires minimal capital cost; the cost of turnstiles and platform work at Atlantic Terminal (where the gap between trains and the platform is extremely large). The main benefit of handing it over is that NYCT does not require ticket-punchers, significantly reducing the cost of providing the shuttle service: LIRR cost per rider is currently above $11, so a LIRR shuttle would be extremely pricey.

If it does happen, then the scariest subway station at night will not be what it currently is anymore because ENY LIRR will then be the scariest subway station at night... Really, I don't see what benefit it'll have for the subway (aside from my little ENY joke). Sure, LIRR shuttling is expensive and stuff but I'm not sure if it will carry many customers when run as a subway... Maybe if you reopen the Woodhaven LIRR station as a subway station, but still...

If it does happen, then the scariest subway station at night will not be what it currently is anymore because ENY LIRR will then be the scariest subway station at night... Really, I don't see what benefit it'll have for the subway (aside from my little ENY joke). Sure, LIRR shuttling is expensive and stuff but I'm not sure if it will carry many customers when run as a subway... Maybe if you reopen the Woodhaven LIRR station as a subway station, but still...

Weren't you the one who said lowering to CityTicket prices would boost ridership? Lowering it to $2.25 with a free transfer would boost ridership significantly, particularly since according to the MTA website it saves nearly 50 minutes over the bus and subway. The point of making it NYCT would be to make the best of a bad situation (namely, what will happen if LIRR decides to stop running through trains to Atlantic)

Edited by bobtehpanda

What happens when a crew that is supposed to go to Dyre Avenue, instead is put on a train that goes to Nereid Avenue?  And what if that rerouted crew is scheduled to make another run from Dyre?  All of the crews that are scheduled to go to Nereid Avenue are finishing crews, meaning, their work day is done once that train is in the yard.  Often, however, crews do not make the trips they are scheduled to make, but make a trip either earlier or later than scheduled.  Been there, done that.

Time to have some fun.  How would you set up the service patterns for NYCT?   Here are the rules:

1. You have to work within the existing physical plant.  You cannot build any new lines. (i.e. no 7 to NJ, no SAS)

2. You have to work within existing track layouts.  You cannot build any new switches.

Here is mine!

1-no changes

2-no changes

3-148 Street to New Lots 24/7

4-Late night service terminates at Atlantic Avenue

5-Express in the Bronx in the direction of traffic middays as well as rush hours.  Weekend 5 service will run to Flatbush Avenue

6-no changes.

7-no changes

Grand Central Shuttle runs 24/7

A--all times except midnights 207 St to Far Rockaway or Rockaway Park.  Late nights, round robin shuttle from Euclid Avenue to Far Rockaway via Rockaway Park

B-no changes

C-168 Street to Lefferts Blvd. 24/7.  Late nights 207 Street to Lefferts Blvd.

D-no changes

E-179 Street to World Trade Center 24/7

F-Expresss in Queens from 179 to Queensbridge-21 Street weekdays

G-Court Square to Kings Highway rush hours.  Other times, Court Square to Church Avenue

J-Weekdays, express Marcy Avenue to Broadway Junction in the direction of Traffic.  Runs 24/7 to Broad Street

L-no changes

M-24/7 Metropolitan Avenue to Parsons/Archer via Queens Blvd local.

N-weekdays only Astoria to Coney Island.  Other times 57 St-7 Avenue to Coney Island.

Q-24/7 Astoria to Coney Island.

R-Weekdays Parsons/Archer to 95 Street.  Evenings and weekends 57 St-7 Avenue to 95 Street  Late nights 36 St-4 Avenue to 95 Street

Franklin Shuttle--no changes

Z-weekdays from Chambers Street to Broadway Junction.  Rush hours, extended to Rockaway Parkway.

Here is mine.

1-no changesnew rushhour peak direction express after 96 st

2-no changes

3-148 Street to New Lots 24/7 express

4-Late night service terminates at new lots

5-Express in the Bronx in the direction of traffic middays as well as rush hours.  Weekend 5 service will run to Flatbush Avenue

6-no changes extended to bowling green late night.

7-no changes

Grand Central Shuttle runs same

A--all times except midnights 207 St to Far Rockaway or [always]Rockaway Park.  leffefet branch is dicontinuedexpress betwwen grant ave and rockway blvd

B-no changes

C-168 Street to Lefferts Blvd. 24/7.  Late nights 207 Street to Lefferts Blvd.

D-no changes

G-Court Square to Kings Highway rush hours.  Other times, Court Square to Church Avenuenorthern treimanl to forest hills late night

J-Weekdays, express Marcy Avenue to Broadway Junction in the direction of Traffic.  Runs 24/7 to Broad Street

L-no changes

N-same

Q-same

R-late nights bayridge to court st

Z-weekdays from Chambers Street to Broadway Junction.  Rush hours,bay parkway

I never said 'lowering to', I said 'make CityTicket available on weekdays as well'.

If LIRR stops running trains then yes, either converting to subway or let someone else handle it (e.g. Veolia, whatever-other-company). But we're talking about their current plans, not what they might do in the far future.

I never said 'lowering to', I said 'make CityTicket available on weekdays as well'.

If LIRR stops running trains then yes, either converting to subway or let someone else handle it (e.g. Veolia, whatever-other-company). But we're talking about their current plans, not what they might do in the far future.

The LIRR has well-publicized plans to build a separate platform for Atlantic Terminal shuttles to Jamaica, and has officially stated a future frequency of 7.5 minutes on the branch. 2019 is not actually that far off, and in any case those parts of the plan are still on track, unlike some of the other parts (like a LIRR Third Track)

http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2013/22/queenstransit_qt_2013_05_31_q2.html

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/coming-soon-on-lirr-transfer-at-mineola-1.5738716

The LIRR has well-publicized plans to build a separate platform for Atlantic Terminal shuttles to Jamaica, and has officially stated a future frequency of 7.5 minutes on the branch. 2019 is not actually that far off, and in any case those parts of the plan are still on track, unlike some of the other parts (like a LIRR Third Track)

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/coming-soon-on-lirr-transfer-at-mineola-1.5738716

You continue to amaze me with your knowledge of the MTA rail services. Many times the accompanying info you supply is not just entertaining to a rail fan like me, but valuable for understanding the (il)logic of the MTA overall mindset.

Thank you sir.

Here is mine.

1-no changesnew rushhour peak direction express after 96 st

2-no changes

3-148 Street to New Lots 24/7 express

4-Late night service terminates at new lots

5-Express in the Bronx in the direction of traffic middays as well as rush hours. Weekend 5 service will run to Flatbush Avenue

6-no changes extended to bowling green late night.

7-no changes

Grand Central Shuttle runs same

A--all times except midnights 207 St to Far Rockaway or [always]Rockaway Park. leffefet branch is dicontinuedexpress betwwen grant ave and rockway blvd

B-no changes

C-168 Street to Lefferts Blvd. 24/7. Late nights 207 Street to Lefferts Blvd.

D-no changes

G-Court Square to Kings Highway rush hours. Other times, Court Square to Church Avenuenorthern treimanl to forest hills late night

J-Weekdays, express Marcy Avenue to Broadway Junction in the direction of Traffic. Runs 24/7 to Broad Street

L-no changes

N-same

Q-same

R-late nights bayridge to court st

Z-weekdays from Chambers Street to Broadway Junction. Rush hours,bay parkway

The. (4) already runs to New Lots during late nights.

1 During AM rush selected trains run exp from 242 St to 96 St

5 Selected trains run Exp between Dyre Av and E 180 St during rush

Trains are extended to Flatbush Av during weekends

<6> to avoid confusion with the R62As, renamed (8)

A Branch to Ozone Pk renamed (K)

B swaps northern terminal with (C)

C " "

Service hours extended to Midnight

D

E Trains skip 75 Av and Briarwood at all times

runs express during late nights in Queens

Express in Manhattan rush hrs

F trains to Kings Hwy Exp Church Av to Kings Hwy

Exp between 179 and 71avs during rush

G

H renamed rckwy Pk shuttle, extended to Euclid Av

J skip stop service ending

With some stops designated exp stops. Exp trains bypass local stops

All trains stop at express stops

Extended to Broad st at all times

Z skip stops between Myrtle Av and Bdwy Jct.

More service, additional trains run to Atlantic Av or Rckwy Pkwy

L additional service short turning at Atlantic Av

M extended to 71 Av during weekends, to 57 St 6 Av late nights

during rush hours is extended to 179 St

N Broadway Exp

Q cut back to 57th

R extended to 71 Av late nights

W Astoria too Bay Pkwy exp on West End rush peak

Using Tapatalk

N/Q often pull into Ditmars Blvd way behind schedule due to merging delays at 34th St and severe overcrowding on N trains that now must make additional local stops.  Platform at 59th/Lex is often severely overcrowded and is an accident waiting to happen.  These delays cascade into trains leaving Ditmars way behind schedule, and often I see two Coney-Island bound N trains back-to-back by the time they reach 59th St, Brooklyn.

Weekend E trains should continue to supplement 75th Ave and Van Wyck Blvd unless scheduled gaps in service on F train can be corrected.  For example - 15 minute gap in service on certain Coney-Island bound F trains at 75th Ave early evening Sunday.

R shuttle needs to be expanded to Court/95th at all times.  Platform is often 3 people deep at 59th Street, Bklyn at 12:30am and 1am for people needing Bay Ridge service. 

The 5 should be extended to Flatbush Ave during weekends; it won't cause any delays at very infrequent 12 minute headways, and can supplement severely delayed 2 train service (often with waits of up to 20 minutes in the middle of a busy afternoon.)

Time to have some fun. How would you set up the service patterns for NYCT? Here are the rules:

1. You have to work within the existing physical plant. You cannot build any new lines. (i.e. no 7 to NJ, no SAS)

2. You have to work within existing track layouts. You cannot build any new switches.

Here is mine!

1-no changes

2-no changes

3-148 Street to New Lots 24/7

4-Late night service terminates at Atlantic Avenue

5-Express in the Bronx in the direction of traffic middays as well as rush hours. Weekend 5 service will run to Flatbush Avenue

6-no changes.

7-no changes

Grand Central Shuttle runs 24/7

A--all times except midnights 207 St to Far Rockaway or Rockaway Park. Late nights, round robin shuttle from Euclid Avenue to Far Rockaway via Rockaway Park

B-no changes

C-168 Street to Lefferts Blvd. 24/7. Late nights 207 Street to Lefferts Blvd.

D-no changes

G-Court Square to Kings Highway rush hours. Other times, Court Square to Church Avenue

J-Weekdays, express Marcy Avenue to Broadway Junction in the direction of Traffic. Runs 24/7 to Broad Street

L-no changes

N-weekdays only Astoria to Coney Island. Other times 57 St-7 Avenue to Coney Island.

Q-24/7 Astoria to Coney Island.

R-Weekdays Parsons/Archer to 95 Street. Evenings and weekends 57 St-7 Avenue to 95 Street Late nights 36 St-4 Avenue to 95 Street

Franklin Shuttle--no changes

Z-weekdays from Chambers Street to Broadway Junction. Rush hours, extended to Rockaway Parkway.

Why not run the 4 to Utica late night in your case? R from Parsons is no good because Montague is closed,.

Where would the A from Mamhattan terminate late night? Euclid?

Too many Trains at rockaway Parkway.Cant add Z

The G is great.No reason not to implement it.And either that or the F should go express in peak direction.

Edited by Abba

The only exception to these plans will be Train 1728 from Atlantic Terminal which bypasses Jamaica completetly and according to fellow forum member lirr42, they re not getting rid of that train even after the major Jamaica work is done. So one exception to these plans :)

Here's mine (just IND/BMT)

(A). 207 Street Manhattan to Far Rockaway via 8 Av-Fulton Express. Late nights Express from 168 St- Broadway to 59 St-Columbus Circle

(C). 168 Street Manhattan to Lefferts Blvd Queens via 8 Av-Fulton Local. Late nights (C) from Euclid Avenue Brooklyn to Lefferts Blvd Queens

(E). Jamaica Center to WTC. Local from JC to Forest Hills. Late nights, all stops

(B). 145 Street Manhattan to Coney Island Brooklyn, via 6 Avenue/West End Express. Rush Hours to Bedford Park, The Bronx, Late

Nights from 168 Street to Coney Island via 6 Ave/West End Local (Stops at DeKalb)

(D). 205 Street, The Bronx to Brighton Beach, Brooklyn. Concourse Exp Rush Hour (peak direction) via 6 Avenue/ Brighton Express

Late nights (D) to 145 Street Manhattan

(F). 179 Street Jamaica to Coney Island Brooklyn via Hillside/Queens Blvd Express/6Avenue Local/Brooklyn Express (Church-Kings Hwy exp

Rush Hour peak Direction). Other times local 179 St Queens to Forest Hills, Local in Brooklyn

(V). 71-Continental Av- Forest Hills to Coney Island Brooklyn (Fix &Fortify) via Queens Blvd/6Av/Culver local. Rush hours only

(G). (Fix &Fortify) 71-Continental Av- Forest Hills to Church Ave Brooklyn via Crosstown Lcl. weekdays (Fix & Fortify) Weekends from Nassau

Ave to Church Ave

(J)(Z). No changes

(M) (Fix &Fortify) Metropolitan Av Queens to Fulton St, Manhattan (Nassau St) and Court St to Coney Island (Brighton Local)

Late night and weekend service unchanged

(L). No Changes

(N). (Fix & Fortify). Late nights via Bridge (Stops at DeKalb)

(Q). Jamaica Center Queens to Coney Island Brooklyn via Queens Blvd Express (63 St), Broadway Express, Brighton Local. Late nights and

Weekends to Lexington Ave/63 St

(R). (Fix &Fortify). 179 Street Jamaica to Whitehall St Manhattan via Broadway Local and from Court Square to 95 Street Brooklyn

Weekends full route from 71- Continental via Bridge. Late nights (R) to 36 Street

(W). (Fix & Fortify). Service Suspended

Shuttle service unchanged

Interesting that LIRR says they're going to run the Atlantic Terminal shuttles on 7.5-minute headways - 8 tph. That's a subway-like frequency. I wonder if the railroad will have enough cars to do that, even with the upcoming M9 fleet. I also wonder how much it will cost to provide this service, given that LIRR train crews typically have more than two members. NYC subway train crews (except shuttles) typically have just two members - an operator and a conductor.

If that's how they're going to operate Brooklyn-Jamaica service, then maybe the MTA should strongly consider having LIRR turn the service over to the NYC Subway.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

I think the (B) via Brighton Express and (D) via West End in Brooklyn work just fine. There is really no reason to return them to their pre-1986 service patterns. And I really don't think there's a need to return the (M) to the Nassau Street Line or to bring back the (V) (unless it functions as a part-time (F) express in Brooklyn and/or on Hillside Ave in Queens). (Q) to Jamaica Center is unnecessary (especially because it duplicates the (E) ) and there's no room for it on the Queens Blvd express tracks, unless you want to cut back (E) and (F) service. Not to mention the fact that JC already can't turn all rush hour E trains. And you want to turn the Q there too?

By the way, if the late-night B is running to/from 168th St Manhattan and the late-night D is running to/from 145th St Manhattan, then what's operating on the Concourse Line during late nights?

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

I think the (B) via Brighton Express and (D) via West End in Brooklyn work just fine. There is really no reason to return them to their pre-1986 service patterns. And I really don't think there's a need to return the (M) to the Nassau Street Line or to bring back the (V) (unless it functions as a part-time (F) express in Brooklyn and/or on Hillside Ave in Queens). (Q) to Jamaica Center is unnecessary (especially because it duplicates the (E) ) and there's no room for it on the Queens Blvd express tracks, unless you want to cut back (E) and (F) service. Not to mention the fact that JC already can't turn all rush hour E trains. And you want to turn the Q there too? By the way, if the late-night B is running to/from 168th St Manhattan and the late-night D is running to/from 145th St Manhattan, then what's operating on the Concourse Line during late nights?

(D) runs as a shuttle. (E) and (F) service would be cut

Why not run the 4 to Utica late night in your case? R from Parsons is no good because Montague is closed,.

Where would the A from Mamhattan terminate late night? Euclid?

Too many Trains at rockaway Parkway.Cant add Z

The G is great.No reason not to implement it.And either that or the F should go express in peak direction.

Midnight A service would be replaced by the C.  The A would only be a round robin shuttle late at night.

There is no need for 4 service past Atlantic Avenue late night since the 3 would be running 24/7

As far as the Z to Rockaway Parkway, my proposed new Z actually was done many years ago, albeit during rush hours only.  Middays, the Z would terminate at Broadway Junction.

Since the G trains have to go to/from Coney Island yard anyway, why not have them in service.

The R should run from Parsons, along with the new 24/7 M during weekdays.  Weekends, the R should run from 57 St-7 Avenue

Edited by FRACertifyMotormen

Dover, just because they did it in the past does not make it a good idea.

infact, your idea looks a million kinds of worse.

West End gets full time service to Manhattan. Brighton gets a part time express. you seem to be turning the West end and Concourse into shuttles. Why?

I also don't get what is this obsession with ruining the far end of the Fulton line. Round Robin doesn't work, plus the people who had to use it last time it ran hated it. We're also screwing over the JFK bound passengers, by forcing them to transfer for no reason.

(B) and (C) swap terminals. (B) runs on weekends during tourist season.

(D) when M runs to Manhattan late night, it runs local.

(G) late nights to Queens Plaza for an easier transfer.

(J) rush hour skip stop eliminated local JC to ENY. Express stops at Myrtle and Marcy.

(L) late night until 130, short turns at Myrtle to provide 9 tph between Myrtle and Manhattan.

(M) week late nights terminates 34th/6th

(T) 2nd Ave late night shuttle 125th to 57th, experimentally, if not then 4 2nd st.

(Z) ENY to Broad, local stops rush hour only.

Just to tackle some of these ideas:

The Rockaway Park branch does not need full time (A) service. Maybe during beach season, you can get away with running a few more direct trains, but other than that, you're running empty trains.

The return of the '01-'10 (V) and the reversion of the (M) back to Nassau Street are non-starters, as are the return of the pre-2001 (B) and (D) routes. Riders love the current (M) and would probably fight tooth and nail to keep it and with the way the (B) and (D) are set up now, all south Brooklyn routes have full-time service.

What's with these ideas to extend lines to Jamaica Center? It should be common knowledge that Parsons/Archer cannot handle the full load of the (E). Sending more trains and other lines there would just exacerbate that problem.

Also, what's so wrong with Jamaica skip-stop that everyone wants to 86 it? Unlike Upper Broadway skip-stop which failed to serve its riders properly, Jamaica skip-stop actually works quite well.

Finally folks, say it with me now: "LEFFERTS RIDERS DON'T WANT THE LOCAL!!!"

This isn't meant to be an attack on anyone. I'm just responding to some of the ideas that jump out at me.

Here's mine (just IND/BMT)

(A). 207 Street Manhattan to Far Rockaway via 8 Av-Fulton Express. Late nights Express from 168 St- Broadway to 59 St-Columbus Circle

(C). 168 Street Manhattan to Lefferts Blvd Queens via 8 Av-Fulton Local. Late nights (C) from Euclid Avenue Brooklyn to Lefferts Blvd Queens

(E). Jamaica Center to WTC. Local from JC to Forest Hills. Late nights, all stops

(B). 145 Street Manhattan to Coney Island Brooklyn, via 6 Avenue/West End Express. Rush Hours to Bedford Park, The Bronx, Late

Nights from 168 Street to Coney Island via 6 Ave/West End Local (Stops at DeKalb)

(D). 205 Street, The Bronx to Brighton Beach, Brooklyn. Concourse Exp Rush Hour (peak direction) via 6 Avenue/ Brighton Express

Late nights (D) to 145 Street Manhattan

(F). 179 Street Jamaica to Coney Island Brooklyn via Hillside/Queens Blvd Express/6Avenue Local/Brooklyn Express (Church-Kings Hwy exp

Rush Hour peak Direction). Other times local 179 St Queens to Forest Hills, Local in Brooklyn

(V). 71-Continental Av- Forest Hills to Coney Island Brooklyn (Fix &Fortify) via Queens Blvd/6Av/Culver local. Rush hours only

(G). (Fix &Fortify) 71-Continental Av- Forest Hills to Church Ave Brooklyn via Crosstown Lcl. weekdays (Fix & Fortify) Weekends from Nassau

Ave to Church Ave

(J)(Z). No changes

(M) (Fix &Fortify) Metropolitan Av Queens to Fulton St, Manhattan (Nassau St) and Court St to Coney Island (Brighton Local)

Late night and weekend service unchanged

(L). No Changes

(N). (Fix & Fortify). Late nights via Bridge (Stops at DeKalb)

(Q). Jamaica Center Queens to Coney Island Brooklyn via Queens Blvd Express (63 St), Broadway Express, Brighton Local. Late nights and

Weekends to Lexington Ave/63 St

(R). (Fix &Fortify). 179 Street Jamaica to Whitehall St Manhattan via Broadway Local and from Court Square to 95 Street Brooklyn

Weekends full route from 71- Continental via Bridge. Late nights (R) to 36 Street

(W). (Fix & Fortify). Service Suspended

Shuttle service unchanged

The (M) service is much more useful and reliable than the old M and the V.

It is causing gentrification in Williamsburg. It is giving direct access to Midtown Manhattan from the Broadway/Jamaica and Myrtle lines.

The (V) served little passengers, which was why in the straphangers campaign serveys it was almost always first in seating availability.

As other people on the forums have had discussions in the past, the (M) to Bay Pkwy was almost always empty. I do support sending the (Z) down there during rush hours, but we have the Montague closure.

The R to 179 St, may be a problem, because when this was around from 1988-1992 the people from the local stops, would switch to the express "F" at the next express stop.

Fulton St on the Nassau St Line isn't a reliable terminal, use Chambers St or Broad St instead.

Also, NO SERVICE on the Concourse during late nights is a really bad idea. I think you just forgot about the concourse. 

If you keep the B to no weekend service, there will be no West End service. They switched the B and D train terminals because the B was a part time route and the West End needed through service at all times (It previously had a shuttle from 36 St to Coney Island), so they swapped the B with the D, so the West End had through service at all times.

It's also annoying with the message for too many emoticons.

Also, Why aren't the Straphangers Campaign doing their survey, Sandy?