The Official Bee-Line Thread

Lawrence St

Is 39 too late to become a transit bus driver? I'm going to get my CDL B with the idea of driving school buses, but I see that the bee line system is in need of drivers. 

I've lived in Yonkers almost my entire life and I can imagine the clientele is not easy to deal with, but is that not the story of all transit bus companies in general?

What's the best and worst part of the job? 

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Positively Ralf said:

Is 39 too late to become a transit bus driver? I'm going to get my CDL B with the idea of driving school buses, but I see that the bee line system is in need of drivers. 

I've lived in Yonkers almost my entire life and I can imagine the clientele is not easy to deal with, but is that not the story of all transit bus companies in general?

This is for any agency within NY: Being a bus driver is not as great as it used to be. You deal with far more rude passengers, fare beaters, incidents, as well as providing over the top customer service while driving on the road, which also has folks who don't know how to drive, intoxicated drivers, distracted drivers, people running out in the street or standing on the literal edge of the sidewalk, speed cameras, red light cameras (a big issue since your a big viechle), people not paying attention in the bus stop and later calling saying you skipped them, etc etc.

On 12/23/2022 at 9:14 PM, Positively Ralf said:

Not at all.... I'm hearing of school bus drivers starting in their 50's!! I can't fathom driving for a public transit provider would be too much different....

I mean ageism in general is definitely a thing, but bus driving (lucky for you) isn't one of those professions where entering in your late 30's/early 40's is considered too old.... Don't let the influx of young drivers you may be noticing worry you into thinking you're too old/it's too late... So I'd say go for it.

On 12/23/2022 at 9:14 PM, Positively Ralf said:

It's not your bus and it is not your money. Bring the bus back the way that they gave it to you and keep your fights with customers to an absolute minimum.

Check to make sure that the agency's health plan is good. Make sure that you do some sort of exercise to keep your back loose when you are not driving.

Some agencies will train you once you have a permit. MTA Bus does and some paratransit companies do.

School buses and transit buses are two different types of driving. Your path should be driven by the type of driving that you like more. Obviously, transit is more money, but it is a more rigid schedule.

On 12/27/2022 at 3:46 AM, JAzumah said:

School buses and transit buses are two different types of driving. Your path should be driven by the type of driving that you like more. Obviously, transit is more money, but it is a more rigid schedule.

With the shortage of bus drivers, how many hours a week are the current ones averaging? I'll take a guess and say it's north of 50.

5 hours ago, Positively Ralf said:

With the shortage of bus drivers, how many hours a week are the current ones averaging? I'll take a guess and say it's north of 50.

It depends on the agency. Overtime is not mandatory at most agencies in this region, so it is usually up to the driver as to how much they work. Most agencies will not allow more than 60, so 50 is a safe bet.

1 hour ago, OpenBVEFan1 said:

Can anyone confirm if 602 or 605 are retired for good?

602 last ran 12/28/2022 on the W12
605 last ran 12/28/2022 on the W1C

Last I saw they’re still on the active roster. Just because they haven’t been out does not mean they’re officially retired.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So it seems the future of Bee-Line is to be full-New Flyer. 

There has been no update regarding the Orion V suburbans, mainly because of the uncertain future of the BxM4C, even though the plan hasn’t had any further update since the draft got released. I would assume that if the BxM4C was saved, that New Flyer suburbans would replace the Orion suburbans.

The Orion V 32.5’s are set to be replaced by the XDE35’s at an unknown date, but I estimate late 2023/early 2024.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

According to an employee at Bee-Line, there is a possibility that Bee-Line may switch operators. Turns out that Liberty Lines Transit doesn't want to be involved with Westchester County anymore. If it is possible, then either PTLA Enterprise (W16, W18, and W31), Coach USA, Transdev, or the (MTA)could take over Westchester county's bus system.

8 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

According to an employee at Bee-Line, there is a possibility that Bee-Line may switch operators. Turns out that Liberty Lines Transit doesn't want to be involved with Westchester County anymore. If it is possible, then either PTLA Enterprise (W16, W18, and W31), Coach USA, Transdev, or the (MTA)could take over Westchester county's bus system.

I think that PTLA would like take over they already have control over 3 routes that are going to be deleted. When (MTA) did operations in Nassau County it did not go well so I don’t think they should take over I don’t know why people want (MTA) to take over so badly . I could see transdev doing as they have operate some bus companies in  rockland county. I don’t see what coach USA would want with westchester county maybe the they would take over some of the northern westchester  routes

1 hour ago, 40 to 241st said:

I think that PTLA would like take over they already have control over 3 routes that are going to be deleted. When (MTA) did operations in Nassau County it did not go well so I don’t think they should take over I don’t know why people want (MTA) to take over so badly . I could see transdev doing as they have operate some bus companies in  rockland county. I don’t see what coach USA would want with westchester county maybe the they would take over some of the northern westchester  routes

I usually here people say that the met should take over the Bxm4c

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2023 at 1:07 AM, RSMG106 said:

More than likely, some other carrier would bid on the service and take over the fleet and the garages (and probably the employees) from Liberty.

Neither the County nor the (MTA) would want an MTA takeover.