Your Transit Memorabilia

Brighton Local

@Engineer Sorry for the late reply. I knew I missed something in my last post - your assumption is correct, HPS lamps will not work under household current - they simply will not light up. I am no electrician so I can't tell you what to do, and it can be risky if you don't know what you're doing. I might revisit this when I learn about basic electricity concepts and do some more research, but until then I'd stick with household lighting - its definitely much less hassle to deal with.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PjJ0Ifi.jpg

On the left is a hat I got from the Eagle Team that does the M86 SBS, as we're somewhat friendly with them as the bus stops right in front of my building. The hat on the right I got a few days ago from a friend; he got it from someone else who was selling a lot of transit merch. 

Edited by Enjineer

• 3 weeks later...

On eBay, I was the winning bidder for a 1974 New York Subway Guide.

My winning bid was $12.75.

My map is used but beautiful.

The cover features the MOMA circles:

(2)(E) (AA)

(B)(7)(RR)

(4)(K)(6)

(SS) (QB) (5)

There is a large tear along the bottom crease where the fold has worn loose but that is ok. I will be careful with opening my map.

I was eleven years old when this map came out.

• Lance pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

As I have hinted at multiple times, I have a huge transit collection. Over the summer I will try to post portions of it regularly. Feel free to ask if I have something or suggest that I post pictures of something.

Here is a hint of more to come:

47944236886_0727d4c25a_o.jpgIMG_5604 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

47944235941_e7cb777367_o.jpgIMG_5603 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

47944215923_7c102b7471_o.jpgIMG_5602 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

47944144197_90c2aef81c_k.jpgIMG_5549 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

47944177506_9ca763f939_o.jpgIMG_5550 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

47944178686_d6ea9c6f89_k.jpgIMG_5551 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Edited by Union Tpke

They had had numerous bridge closures the four ears before the big one, but I didn't remember the '83 one was that long, or that the B was routed via tunnel. 

(Since they were getting so long, I don't know why they didn't think to eliminate the split B and D, and run the QB (which was identical to the rerouted D), and bring back the T, instead of the B; and they were already getting new signs around this time).

9 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

As I have hinted at multiple times, I have a huge transit collection. Over the summer I will try to post portions of it regularly. Feel free to ask if I have something or suggest that I post pictures of something.

IMG_5604 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

IMG_5603 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

IMG_5602 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

IMG_5549 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

IMG_5550 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

IMG_5551 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Those six alone make an excellent start. Although I’m still not glad about the way the (7) runs. But I didn’t know they had an earlier split (B)(D) in 1983.

1 hour ago, Eric B said:

They had had numerous bridge closures the four ears before the big one, but I didn't remember the '83 one was that long, or that the B was routed via tunnel. 

(Since they were getting so long, I don't know why they didn't think to eliminate the split B and D, and run the QB (which was identical to the rerouted D), and bring back the T, instead of the B; and they were already getting new signs around this time).

I didn’t know either. I do recall reading on the old Subtalk message board about the (D) running via the Chrystie connection after Broadway-Lafayette that reversed direction just north of Essex St then proceeded via the (J) to the Montague Tunnel, then via the (R) to DeKalb. But I thought I recalled seeing that limited to weekends only. Until today, I never knew they ran a split (B)(D) for seven weeks in Fall 1983. 

That was roughly the turning point, when the diversions were now including weekdays, and in both directions, and so the Essex move would be far too impractical. The first emergency shutdown that used the split service was May '82. Then, they would still do individual Essex moves in the spur of the moment, or on off hours for those next few years, but the full time split service became more frequent, and finally four years later, what was for all purposes semi-permanent.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 1:12 PM, Union Tpke said:

47944235941_e7cb777367_o.jpg

IMG_5603 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

47944178686_d6ea9c6f89_k.jpg

IMG_5551 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Interesting post in itself. I didn't think they were doing bilingual service notices back in the early '80s. Learn something new, eh?

Regarding that planned service changes notice, it's too bad they don't go that far out these days. I think we're lucky to have an entire month loaded onto the site nowadays.

20 hours ago, Eric B said:

It probably made more sense in hindsight. If I recall correctly, none of the bridge closures, even the one from '86, were supposed to last long enough to warrant a more permanent change to the services at the time.

23 hours ago, Eric B said:

I am working on creating a wikipedia article with Epicgenius on the Manhattan Bridge subway closures.

@Around the Horn

48018389976_92e12a7beb_k.jpgIMG_8584 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48018389476_e418ff457b_k.jpgIMG_8585 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48018388956_bc5e7b2666_k.jpgIMG_8586 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48018388371_c9f78eb6ec_k.jpgIMG_8587 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48018479837_68f9549045_k.jpgIMG_8588 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48018384666_37c2cdf85b_k.jpgIMG_8589 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48018476562_32f370c6e9_k.jpgIMG_8590 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48018404173_55eae32e20_k.jpgIMG_8591 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48018386481_ff3f812889_k.jpgIMG_8592 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48018403158_80ce9d10ea_k.jpgIMG_8593 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48018402578_5e4a102632_k.jpgIMG_8594 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I've recently decided to make a couple of purchases. Lets just say... I am very proud of this. Hope you guys enjoy.

Redbird Rollsign (Likely a Westchester or Corona Set)

cslXX3igXgAN7F5UB6_Ex91IR6hefqFcIWHNVNTX

dSuWETfyy2tWWVI6Jn0EbY0JRyK7RzqIoYUW_54v

QW24f6G_XJQglRLsKWddCZqkQCyBIEmxdJOZcblW

R32 Phase II (Jamaica Set) Rollsign

1_vY03pGeEgzzbN0AMEYtsJWZBAUtyxFj1LSLIm8

*Note: This Rollsign's Northbound and Southbound Terminals were in the wrong places. Has since been corrected.

YNN0o3X2awdvxiiMlFUzSgxokAescg9JWXrJQZeZ

zwd_KMeL5JrIAiaS8_xoQY97hzlIvnfY72ftucT3

R40 or R40M Rollsign

fhBdbqE6HgckNAlIBafgYeKcJkt2rJY5KbfjW0Ba

lJ04JII2fYN9uKq6a5nBwZt3FQRHeXVv97xcx4Xu

8IuGgUWr8cSpbEDZpid1H8Zi3fV60ZLzzHspADSN

R42 Rollsign

J1x4r48bRqvymzXMlVyxnc_kmuwbLXPiuxfr9m7Y

Uc_n7HsIpFo0Vnijh-3EgZ5_IfzKZOdgbtOAkYLX

8suqEOzG441EfONBgOW8vpXqM6narrcx04IrUVNz

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, OrionVIIonM79 said:

I collect bus timetables. I have most of them XP

Speaking of bus timetables, I have all but 4 for Queens local (I live there so thats easy), all but 2 for SI local, abt. 60% of Manhattan, and about 30% of both BK and BX local routes. The express routes- 75% for Queens, 20% for BK, 20% for BX, and a nice 0% for SI, only because I have not gone back there since the (MTA) redid all the routes there. I have a good portion of the old “X” routes from there though.

The express routes are the hardest to find. Sometimes I get lucky when the TA puts express maps on a local bus (Queens Village depot does that).

Seeing that I started collecting when I was only 4 (that was ten years ago!), I’d say that i got a pretty damn big collection.

We both will have to start over, seeing that the boro-wide redesigns are happening lmao

Edited by MeeP15-9112
Added joke

9 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

Speaking of bus timetables, I have all but 4 for Queens local (I live there so thats easy), all but 2 for SI local, abt. 60% of Manhattan, and about 30% of both BK and BX local routes. The express routes- 75% for Queens, 20% for BK, 20% for BX, and a nice 0% for SI, only because I have not gone back there since the (MTA) redid all the routes there. I have a good portion of the old “X” routes from there though.

The express routes are the hardest to find. Sometimes I get lucky when the TA puts express maps on a local bus (Queens Village depot does that).

Seeing that I started collecting when I was only 4 (that was ten years ago!), I’d say that i got a pretty damn big collection.

We both will have to start over, seeing that the boro-wide redesigns are happening lmao

I also started when I was 4, but I don’t ride buses just to get timetables, but I ride them normally. The most memorable bus was #5302 on the M79, back in 2015 or 16. I don’t know how, but I got most of SI on that bus. My friends bring me timetables too though sometimes.

Edited by OrionVIIonM79

1 hour ago, OrionVIIonM79 said:

I also started when I was 4, but I don’t ride buses just to get timetables, but I ride them normally. The most memorable bus was #5302 on the M79, back in 2015 or 16. I don’t know how, but I got most of SI on that bus. My friends bring me timetables too though sometimes.

Same thing happened to me on the BX12 back in 2018.

I was at Bay Plaza for a party when a BX12 pulled up. It was a 55XX, and was loaded with all of the Gun Hill route timetables!

The interesting part was that this all took place on December 27th, talk about a late Christmas gift from the (MTA) !

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2019 at 1:02 PM, Biggie said:

20190723_125736

Old School Safe Train Operation Guide & a lil something from A Division

That R142A manual must be an interesting read. Anyone have an idea where I could get a similar manual for an R143 and an R160?

• 1 month later...