Bronx Redesign Draft Released

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

IF they revisit the Bronx express bus network, it would likely be after the other redesigns, but it has been shelved indefinitely for now.

Which is hopefully the outcome of the Queens express bus network redesign aside from any minor, non-controversial modifications.  Especially since they're using pre-pandemic data in a post-pandemic commuting world.  But I digress here.

7 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Which is hopefully the outcome of the Queens express bus network redesign aside from any minor, non-controversial modifications.  Especially since they're using pre-pandemic data in a post-pandemic commuting world.  But I digress here.

My concern with Queens is that #1, many people are unaware that this is going on and #2, the people that are complaining are not providing ANY feedback to the (MTA), nor are they attending the meetings. They are acting as if this is a done deal, and it is not. The Zoom attendance has been abysmal, with the majority of the 64 people at one event I attended virtually being (MTA) employees. If there is such concern about peoples' routes being cut, changed or having less frequency, then they should fill out the online form, attend the meetings OR something, but doing nothing and "hoping" for the best is not going to cut it.

The event that I co-hosted in College Point last Monday luckily had a decent turnout between those who spoke in-person and those that attended via Zoom, but I am attending and providing feedback because the cuts could very well impact my commute, as I do travel to Queens for work meetings, and while I am doing such things now virtually, we are starting to shift to in-person meetings again and no one knows what the future holds in terms of having to be in the office full-time, part-time or what. Not only that, but even if I said fine, whatever and was fine driving into Manhattan to my office and then driving to Queens for such events, the amount of congestion would be unbearable, so this is why it's important that people provide feedback. I'm not sure if it's complacency, laziness or what, but it's no good.

Of late, there have been days when I have worked in the office and then had to sit in a sea of traffic because so many people are driving in. 

53 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

My concern with Queens is that #1, many people are unaware that this is going on and #2, the people that are complaining are not providing ANY feedback to the (MTA), nor are they attending the meetings. They are acting as if this is a done deal, and it is not. The Zoom attendance has been abysmal, with the majority of the 64 people at one event I attended virtually being (MTA) employees. If there is such concern about peoples' routes being cut, changed or having less frequency, then they should fill out the online form, attend the meetings OR something, but doing nothing and "hoping" for the best is not going to cut it.

The event that I co-hosted in College Point last Monday luckily had a decent turnout between those who spoke in-person and those that attended via Zoom, but I am attending and providing feedback because the cuts could very well impact my commute, as I do travel to Queens for work meetings, and while I am doing such things now virtually, we are starting to shift to in-person meetings again and no one knows what the future holds in terms of having to be in the office full-time, part-time or what. Not only that, but even if I said fine, whatever and was fine driving into Manhattan to my office and then driving to Queens for such events, the amount of congestion would be unbearable, so this is why it's important that people provide feedback. I'm not sure if it's complacency, laziness or what, but it's no good.

Of late, there have been days when I have worked in the office and then had to sit in a sea of traffic because so many people are driving in. 

Yeah I noticed the attendance was crappy when I went to the NE Queens one.  It doesn't help that the format doesn't really encourage feedback/comments until the last 15 minutes where it's impossible to cram all of your thoughts in.  I was going to virtually attend the one earlier this week but got tied up with something else.  But I dumped all of my feedback into the Remix map and hopefully someone will actually read them, since it seems like they want folks to go that route instead of speaking about it.

48 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Yeah I noticed the attendance was crappy when I went to the NE Queens one.  It doesn't help that the format doesn't really encourage feedback/comments until the last 15 minutes where it's impossible to cram all of your thoughts in.  I was going to virtually attend the one earlier this week but got tied up with something else.  But I dumped all of my feedback into the Remix map and hopefully someone will actually read them, since it seems like they want folks to go that route instead of speaking about it.

Well what they did with one of the latest the Zoom ones was they had folks break out in to smaller groups where they covered just the lines in the area, but it still took a while, but they allowed for feedback and during the presentation, people were free to use the Chat feature to comment. All of those comments were reviewed and any questions answered, including during the presentation. There was enough time for people to speak at the end.

At the meeting that I co-hosted that was not run by the (MTA), we spoke only briefly to allow as many people to speak about their routes as possible, so that meant almost two hours for people to do nothing but comment and provide feedback. I have been asked to speak in Whitestone next week where we will just cover the immediate express buses in that area (the QM2, QM20 & QM32 - the changes to the routes, changes to frequency, etc.). I will basically speak for about five minutes, then open the floor to any questions and allow people to comment. 

The plan is to do more Town Hall meetings run by commuters where myself and maybe a few other people will present, speak and then open the floor up like we did last week in College Point, and hopefully have the in-person option and the Zoom option for people who can't attend in person. The Town Hall style meeting in Whitestone I believe is in-person only, but there will be electeds there and so on.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

49 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well what they did with one of the latest the Zoom ones was they had folks break out in to smaller groups where they covered just the lines in the area, but it still took a while, but they allowed for feedback and during the presentation, people were free to use the Chat feature to comment. All of those comments were reviewed and any questions answered, including during the presentation. There was enough time for people to speak at the end.

At the meeting that I co-hosted that was not run by the (MTA), we spoke only briefly to allow as many people to speak about their routes as possible, so that meant almost two hours for people to do nothing but comment and provide feedback. I have been asked to speak in Whitestone next week where we will just cover the immediate express buses in that area (the QM2, QM20 & QM32 - the changes to the routes, changes to frequency, etc.). I will basically speak for about five minutes, then open the floor to any questions and allow people to comment. 

The plan is to do more Town Hall meetings run by commuters where myself and maybe a few other people will present, speak and then open the floor up like we did last week in College Point, and hopefully have the in-person option and the Zoom option for people who can't attend in person. The Town Hall style meeting in Whitestone I believe is in-person only, but there will be electeds there and so on.

My beef with the breakout rooms was that it wasn't apparent you should be commenting as they were going through the routes.  So during my session, it went on for a while before someone started commenting and we realized they were going to answer our questions in the chat about the routes.  Almost as if they were trying to lower the amount of questions they got.

Having an online option at some of these meetings would be nice for folks who can't make it in person.  I'd try to make it to some more on Zoom for NE Queens if the option was available.

5 hours ago, 7-express said:

My beef with the breakout rooms was that it wasn't apparent you should be commenting as they were going through the routes.  So during my session, it went on for a while before someone started commenting and we realized they were going to answer our questions in the chat about the routes.  Almost as if they were trying to lower the amount of questions they got.

Having an online option at some of these meetings would be nice for folks who can't make it in person.  I'd try to make it to some more on Zoom for NE Queens if the option was available.

For the (MTA) meetings, I don't expect them to do a blended meeting with in-person and Zoom. It will be one or the other. We did a blended meeting in College Point and we ran into some tech issues where people on Zoom couldn't hear the live speakers at the meeting, but luckily it was resolved quickly. It definitely allowed more people to participate.

6 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

M125 schedule says it ends at St Claire Pl but the map says Riverside Dr

The latter is impossible (Riverside Drive is above 125th... The M5 runs on Riverside Dr. and does not connect to the current Bx15), so there's that....

As for the schedule stating it'll end at St. Claire Place, all that intimates to me is that the current 12th/125th st. stop will likely be eliminated... Both the last WB stop (12th/125th) & the penultimate WB stop (St. Claire pl./125th) of the Bx15 are physically on the same block anyway; albeit being a long block....

9 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

It's on the block of St. Clair Place between Riverside Drive (a sliver ramping up to the main roadway) and 125th Street.

That is the first EB/Bronx bound pickup stop... That is not a drop off stop.

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

The latter is impossible (Riverside Drive is above 125th... The M5 runs on Riverside Dr. and does not connect to the current Bx15), so there's that....

The main roadway of Riverside Drive is overhead, but there IS a sliver of a "service road" extending from St. Clair Place south to intersect the main road at about 123rd near Grant's Tomb. 

4 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

The main roadway of Riverside Drive is overhead, but there IS a sliver of a "service road" extending from St. Clair Place south to intersect the main road at about 123rd near Grant's Tomb. 

....on the side of 125th where the current Bx15 begins.

He specifically said ENDS.... Where 125th ends, that is not (that sliver of) Riverside Dr... That is 12th av.

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

....on the side of 125th where the current Bx15 begins.

He specifically said ENDS.... Where 125th ends, that is not (that sliver of) Riverside Dr... That is 12th av.

The lisver of Riverside Drive feeds into 12th Avenue. However, where "125th ends" is Marginal Street, which feeds into an on-ramp to the southbound Henry Hudson Parkway.

On 6/12/2022 at 5:55 PM, Calvin said:

Paper maps in brochure style can be seen on Bronx buses 

287875759_1218959962184854_8723030998801

Where would they have these maps available besides on the buses? Apparently 3 Stone Street is only open by appointment these days, so that's out of the question, and I don't think that the Transit Museum annex in Grand Central stocks MTA maps anymore.

Big changes like these should obviously have the MTA going all-out on making these available to riders, even in the digital age.

Edited by 67thAve

20 minutes ago, 67thAve said:

Where would they have these maps available besides on the buses? Apparently 3 Stone Street is only open by appointment these days, so that's out of the question, and I don't think that the Transit Museum annex in Grand Central stocks MTA maps anymore.

Big changes like these should obviously have the MTA going all-out on making these available to riders, even in the digital age.

You should ask Customer Service. 

18 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Some quick hits with these new schedules:

Bx35 terminates in Hunts Point (SMH), but the map says Crotona Park East

M125 schedule says it ends at St Claire Pl but the map says Riverside Dr

The area that the Bx35 terminates on the map is Crotona Park East (Crotona or Crotona Village). That area was never Hunts Point. Hunts Point is east of the Bruckner Expressway.

Also, Gladstone Square (West Farms Road-Southern Boulevard), the shopping area on Southern Blvd, and the subway stations at Simpson St (2)(5) and Hunts Point Av (6) are not part of Hunts Point either. They’re in the Longwood section of the Bronx.

For years, they associated or assumed those areas was part of Hunts Point but found out that it wasn’t and never corrected it on the timetables. Only the Bx11 had it correctly. People who also lived in the areas also assumed that they were in Hunts Point, as that name is more well known than Longwood. The same goes for Crotona Park East as some refer the area east of Southern Blvd north of East 172nd Street as part of West Farms.

You are correct about the Bx18 terminal, that is Mount Eden, not Morrisania. Morrisania is south of both Claremont and Crotona Parks and east of Morris Avenue. I would have accepted Concourse before I would have accepted that area. The bus stop signs are worse: they have it as Tremont. Tremont is north of the Cross Bronx Expressway, not south.

When it comes the neighborhoods of the Bronx, the term “It’s Complicated” is definitely an understatement due to somewhat overlapping and areas associated with one neighborhood when they part of another neighborhood altogether.

Majority of the Bronx buses have the correct neighborhoods for their terminus but some of them can be somewhat questionable.

11 hours ago, Mpn4179 said:

The area that the Bx35 terminates on the map is Crotona Park East (Crotona or Crotona Village). That area was never Hunts Point. Hunts Point is east of the Bruckner Expressway.

Also, Gladstone Square (West Farms Road-Southern Boulevard), the shopping area on Southern Blvd, and the subway stations at Simpson St (2)(5) and Hunts Point Av (6) are not part of Hunts Point either. They’re in the Longwood section of the Bronx.

For years, they associated or assumed those areas was part of Hunts Point but found out that it wasn’t and never corrected it on the timetables. Only the Bx11 had it correctly. People who also lived in the areas also assumed that they were in Hunts Point, as that name is more well known than Longwood. The same goes for Crotona Park East as some refer the area east of Southern Blvd north of East 172nd Street as part of West Farms.

You are correct about the Bx18 terminal, that is Mount Eden, not Morrisania. Morrisania is south of both Claremont and Crotona Parks and east of Morris Avenue. I would have accepted Concourse before I would have accepted that area. The bus stop signs are worse: they have it as Tremont. Tremont is north of the Cross Bronx Expressway, not south.

When it comes the neighborhoods of the Bronx, the term “It’s Complicated” is definitely an understatement due to somewhat overlapping and areas associated with one neighborhood when they part of another neighborhood altogether.

Majority of the Bronx buses have the correct neighborhoods for their terminus but some of them can be somewhat questionable.

Hence my incorrect destination signs thread 

22 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

The lisver of Riverside Drive feeds into 12th Avenue....

Yeah, the same 12th avenue where the Bx15 ends at.... Novel concept.

Guaranteed the M125 won't end at Riverside Dr - the main road, or that sliver of the roadway you brought up like it's some difference maker....

20 hours ago, Mpn4179 said:

8 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Hence my incorrect destination signs thread 

Some are pretty egregious, but when you have loose/subjective boundaries for these neighborhoods, you're gonna get these kinds of things....

Edited by B35 via Church