Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MidwoodMartin said:

I'm also interested in this. Does anyone know the B46 SBS fleet? Is it more or less than 22? 

The B46 SBS has a fleet of 47-48 New Flyer XD40s. Note that they are in the process of getting new ones. They are also slated to get around 19 XD60s in 2019 to partially convert the line to articulated operations, a move that should’ve been done many moons ago. I can’t wait to see how that play shows out.

Edited by JeremiahC99

On 8/21/2018 at 7:54 PM, JeremiahC99 said:

The B46 SBS has a fleet of 47-48 New Flyer XD40s. Note that they are in the process of getting new ones. They are also slated to get around 19 XD60s in 2019 to partially convert the line to articulated operations, a move that should’ve been done many moons ago. I can’t wait to see how that play shows out.

How would you expect the B46 to be articulated back in a time where there weren't sufficient resources, and ridership to Justify your point. The high ridership has met the guidelines in these last 5 years, and partially articulating the route is the best option at this point. Things can't be done when wanted, it is when it is possible and there is enough resources and commitment to do so.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:37 AM, Kingjunior34 said:

That’s what I’m saying , the morning rush going towards rockaway parkway station is basically similar to the b46 going to Utica ave station buses are going to packed back to back , and most riders get off at rockaway maybe some can short turn there and head back toward Cropsey ave ?

Also do remember during the AM rush reverse bound (especially when the school kids go back) you will have packed buses from Penn Avenue to Ralph Avenue- South Shore (main pick up points E.105, Rockaway, Remsen). After South Shore, it tends to slow down until Flatbush/Kings Highway/Nostrand for the (B)(Q) on East 16th which is the next packed point.

It seems that Councilman Chaim Deutsch has come out with another press release and this one involves the adding of the stop at Avenue R and Nostrand Avenue for the B/44 Select bus after 4 years of waiting.  (Source: Kingscountypolitics.com Brooklyn members on the move. August 24, 2018 and Brooklyndaily eagle.com  News).

In looking at the headways for the B/44 SBS since it began, it seems that the headways have gone up from 16 minutes to Knapp Street to 20 minutes during the summer pick for Knapp Street during midday. This means that the SBS has lost riders since it started and the end result was a reduction in the number of runs.

The B/2 and B/31 combo is even worse as both routes now have 30 minute headways during the non-rush hours or a combined 15 minute headway on the portion from the station to Gerritsen Avenue. It seems that someone who looked at the figures  finally woke up and realized that you had to have an SBS stop with a couple of schools in the area with headways like that on B/2 and B/31.

4 minutes ago, P3F said:

15 minutes ago, Interested Rider said:

It seems that Councilman Chaim Deutsch has come out with another press release and this one involves the adding of the stop at Avenue R and Nostrand Avenue for the B/44 Select bus after 4 years of waiting.  (Source: Kingscountypolitics.com Brooklyn members on the move. August 24, 2018 and Brooklyndaily eagle.com  News).

In looking at the headways for the B/44 SBS since it began, it seems that the headways have gone up from 16 minutes to Knapp Street to 20 minutes during the summer pick for Knapp Street during midday. This means that the SBS has lost riders since it started and the end result was a reduction in the number of runs.

The B/2 and B/31 combo is even worse as both routes now have 30 minute headways during the non-rush hours or a combined 15 minute headway on the portion from the station to Gerritsen Avenue. It seems that someone who looked at the figures  finally woke up and realized that you had to have an SBS stop with a couple of schools in the area with headways like that on B/2 and B/31.

Took them long enough.....

50 minutes ago, Interested Rider said:

39 minutes ago, P3F said:

34 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Took them long enough.....

Looks like Prince Andy Byford is listening to the crowds for SBS. This is great that he listened to the people and added that much-needed stop at Avenue R. Where is @BrooklynBus? He should be here to see it, since that was one of his gripes about the B44 SBS, and now it is being fixed.

My thanks to P3F for putting the sources that I cited in correct internet form as if I learn about a change to a bus route, I always like to list the citation so that members could check out the information. Both Kings County Politics and Brooklyn Daily Eagle are good local websites for this information and now I will be checking Queens County Politics to see if the meeting with Mr. Byford has resulted in changes there as well.

My Byford is apparently listening as when I read about the schedule changes on the Staten Island Express Routes that were just implemented this week, it indicates to me that he wants the system to work. I can remember when it took months to get a schedule change on a route that should have been done soon after the route was changed.

3 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

SBS has lost passengers. How can you justify better than 20 minute headways when there are no more than six people per bus in both directions even during rush hours (except perhaps during the change of shifts at the nursing homes)? That's why I proposed to extension the Kingsborough College during school hours two years ago which the MTA still has not reviewed. Byford told me they will not study it until they examine all the Brrooklyn routes in another three years. Why should a review if a single route change take five years? 

2 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Looks like Prince Andy Byford is listening to the crowds for SBS. This is great that he listened to the people and added that much-needed stop at Avenue R. Where is @BrooklynBus? He should be here to see it, since that was one of his gripes about the B44 SBS, and now it is being fixed.

Deutsch told me about this about a month ago. The MTA actually made this promise last year and it was mentioned in the Bay News, but the MTA later retracted and changed their minds. This time they gave a start date. 

I told CB 15 in 2012 that if they didn't ask for the Avenue R stop before the SBS route started, they would never get it, although a few people did request it at the workshops.

Edited by BrooklynBus

15 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

Deutsch told me about this about a month ago. The MTA actually made this promise last year and it was mentioned in the Bay News, but the MTA later retracted and changed their minds. This time they gave a start date. 

I told CB 15 in 2012 that if they didn't ask for the Avenue R stop before the SBS route started, they would never get it, although a few people did request it at the workshops.

So the MTA did not want to add the stop at Avenue R, but retracted their decision and gave a start date?

Also, will you go to any MTA Open Houses for the Brooklyn Network Redesign when it does come to Brooklyn? Your suggestions on improving the B44 in Sheepshead Bay and your 2004 route proposals for the Southern Brooklyn area would be welcomed by Prince of Transit Byford. Also, while you’re at it, you should have some suggestions on improving the B82. 

17 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

SBS has lost passengers. How can you justify better than 20 minute headways when there are no more than six people per bus in both directions even during rush hours (except perhaps during the change of shifts at the nursing homes)? That's why I proposed to extension the Kingsborough College during school hours two years ago which the MTA still has not reviewed. Byford told me they will not study it until they examine all the Brrooklyn routes in another three years. Why should a review if a single route change take five years? 

I don’t see where you are getting 6 or 4 people boarding the sbs routes per stop. The 46 always heavy, 44 is heavy.. The only time I can see less passengers boarding the sbs routes is probably after 8pm - 10pm it starts to dies out

6 hours ago, DueceDrives said:

Extending the sbs44 to kingsborough would be pointless. The route alone is long enough from Knapp street to Williamsburg and extending it to KB would cause heavy load. The 44 is good the way it is now.

He's been mentioning having the B44 doing that for quite some time now & I can't concur with buses running to KCC either....

8 hours ago, DueceDrives said:

I don’t see where you are getting 6 or 4 people boarding the sbs routes per stop. The 46 always heavy, 44 is heavy.. The only time I can see less passengers boarding the sbs routes is probably after 8pm - 10pm it starts to dies out

He's brought up that 6 people per bus bit before..... To sum it up, he's talking about patronage past a certain point....

Here are two separate replies of his (in the spoiler/hide tag below) to another person commenting under one of his blogposts on Bklyner.com

Allan Rosen December 1, 2013 at 3:23 am

As I said, you know absolutely nothing about this. The only advantage of stopping at Sheepshead Bay Station would be to serve B36 riders. The B49 shuttle from the station is very lightly used at least in the PM and I question if it even needs to exist. It seems like a waste of money to me only carrying six passengers in the peak direction and I know why. You would not need a stop at the station to substitute for a shuttle. And if you would run it to the station which is not what I am now proposing, the bus needs to make an additional stop at Bedford and Avenue Z.

I did not present the proposal as an alternative to short turning buses at Avenue U. I proposed that alternate buses currently going to Knapp Street at five minute headways be sent instead from Nostrand and Knapp directly to the college, thereby adding no more than a net of 5 minutes to the route and filling up virtually empty buses with sixty or more passengers per bus. Sounds like a good investment to me especially if you can save a few B49s in the process. Not pricey at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allan Rosen December 9, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I should not have said overcrowded locals because that is not true south of Avenue U, but people were complaining of overcrowded locals and nearly empty SBS routes on other parts of the routes.

At the CB15 presentation the MTA made a point of stating how when SBS becomes operational, service south of Avenue U will nearly double, as if that was a selling point. No one ever asked for more B44 service south of Avenue U. They have been requesting more B4 service though.

Also, it really isn’t until Avenue Y that patronage really drops off. Buses still get from 10 to 20 riders between Avenues X and V. After Y it is between 3 and 6.

Edited by B35 via Church

9 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

So the MTA did not want to add the stop at Avenue R, but retracted their decision and gave a start date?

Also, will you go to any MTA Open Houses for the Brooklyn Network Redesign when it does come to Brooklyn? Your suggestions on improving the B44 in Sheepshead Bay and your 2004 route proposals for the Southern Brooklyn area would be welcomed by Prince of Transit Byford. Also, while you’re at it, you should have some suggestions on improving the B82. 

Yes, this time they gave a start date so they are serious. But it is absolutely ridiculous that this took five years. It is rare that a politician keeps fighting for something without giving up. Deutsch deserves all the credit for this one. 

Brooklyn redesign won't happen for three more years, but I have no faith that the changes will be for the better. They will seek more cuts. Buford is listening to the same people who got us in this mess in the first place. There will be few additions of service.

3 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

Yes, this time they gave a start date so they are serious. But it is absolutely ridiculous that this took five years. It is rare that a politician keeps fighting for something without giving up. Deutsch deserves all the credit for this one. 

Brooklyn redesign won't happen for three more years, but I have no faith that the changes will be for the better. They will seek more cuts. Buford is listening to the same people who got us in this mess in the first place. There will be few additions of service.

So in essence, Byford is full of you know what... :D

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

6 hours ago, DueceDrives said:

Extending the sbs44 to kingsborough would be pointless. The route alone is long enough from Knapp street to Williamsburg and extending it to KB would cause heavy load. The 44 is good the way it is now.

And isn't heavy loads what you want? Especially when it saves riders times and reduces loads on other routes? Or would you rather have 60 foot busses carrying six passengers or less? 

If you despite those passenger counts look at several sheepsheadbites articles that I wrote where I stood at Avenue Z for over an hour between 8 and 9 AM and counted the passengers. Also every time I am on Nostrand at different times of the day, every b44 both sbs and local are virtually empty. The buses leave Knapp street with only one or two passengers. If alternate SBS buses ran to Kingsborough non stop from Avenue X, buses would carry 60 passengers each in the B44:off peak direction so you wouldn't even need any more buses. 

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

So in essence, Byford is full of you know what... :D

I think he means well and isn't a phony like most of the others before him. I just don't think he is knowledgeable enough, and from what I heard was not liked that much in Toronto. He did not listen to bus drivers for one thing. He told me the redesign would be "customer driven". I'm don't see that being the case. If it were, he would have gotten me a response for my  B44 proposal, and not have told me to wait three more years. That is just a stall tactic. At least he would have agreed to a sit down between me and his OP people which I suggested to him..

Once again, Allan has a problem with the B/44 SBS south of Avenue U and offers ideas that indicate that he does not understand my community.

As far as the number of riders on the B/44 SBS that is going to Knapp Street, the service is needed as where are you going to turn the B/44 SBS as the bulk of the ridership comes from the Avenue X stop which my apartment window faces so I can observe the 10 -20 riders (and sometimes more) that board at the stop during all hours of the day. In the AM rush some of the school runs that terminate at Avenue X do the Avenue X, Batchelder Street, Avenue Y and Nostrand Avenue then begin the northbound run at the Avenue X stop.

While I am not usually a defender of the MTA, the question becomes in light of the present route structure, where are you going to turn the  buses and  I would like to add something that is usually not taken into consideration as providing service to Knapp Street has other things than the number of riders.  Do you know that the nursing home allows MTA drivers to use their bathroom facilities? This is extremely important as it is a health issue. This adds another dimension to providing service to Knapp Street as the only other provider is located just south of Avenue U and is a nursing home. 

As far as the Kingsborough Community College Service that you mentioned, I bought it up to the MTA at open-house at Brooklyn College and suggested that it be re-routed via Emmons Avenue. i disagree  strongly  with your proposal to re-route it via Avenue Z and then via the B/49 route to Kingsborough Community College as Avenue Z has become a nightmare in terms of traffic west of Ocean Avenue and if you add the artics, it will be wall to wall gridlock from daybreak to midnight.  The B/44 SBS will be another nail in the coffin of the B/36 as headways have already increased at all times during the day and on the weekend. The B/36  now is up to 20 minute headways after 8 PM when it used to be 12 -15 minutes during the week is just one instance and the traffic along Avenue Z has only made it worse.

I am one of those who believe give Mr. Byford some slack in terms of doing his job as he has to deal with an entrenched bureaucracy that is reluctant to change. The system cannot have a total change overnight and it has to be done slowly using existing programs in place. He cannot be everywhere and the small step that MTA took in terms of the B/44 SBS stop at Avenue R after 4 years is great. The fact that MTA will be doing a comprehensive study of all Brooklyn Bus Routes ln the future is a major step in changing the routes and I, for one, am happy and hope that Mr. Byford will stay on to help to guide it through to completion. 

6 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

And isn't heavy loads what you want? Especially when it saves riders times and reduces loads on other routes? Or would you rather have 60 foot busses carrying six passengers or less? 

If you despite those passenger counts look at several sheepsheadbites articles that I wrote where I stood at Avenue Z for over an hour between 8 and 9 AM and counted the passengers. Also every time I am on Nostrand at different times of the day, every b44 both sbs and local are virtually empty. The buses leave Knapp street with only one or two passengers. If alternate SBS buses ran to Kingsborough non stop from Avenue X, buses would carry 60 passengers each in the B44:off peak direction so you wouldn't even need any more buses. 

And with the B44 SBS going to Kingsborough being utilize, I can see the end of this B49 LIMITED. Given how the SBS will be using Rogers Avenue with the B49, the need for a LIMITED Stop service on the B49 on Bedford Avenue will no longer be needed. That route will be replaced with an enhanced version of your proposed B50 route. My proposed version would be called the B59 and would be a 7-day a week LIMITED stop bi-directional service. It would start at Kingsborough, make all stops to the Sheepshead Bay Station, and from there, run along the length of Ocean Avenue and Empire Blvd make the following stops:

• Ocean Avenue/Avenue Z
  • Avenue V
  • Avenue U
  • Avenue R
  • Kings Hwy
  • Avenue M
  • Avenue J
  • Avenue H
  • Foster Avenue
  • Cortelyou Road 
  • Beverly Road
  • Church Avenue
  • Parkside Avenue
  • Empire Blvd/Flatbush Avenue 
  • Bedford Avenue
  • Nostrand Avenue 
  • Kingston Avenue 
  • Utica Avenue/ Empire Blvd
  • Utica Avenue/Eastern Parkway

Service would make all stops to the current B45 terminal at Ralph Avenue and St John Place via the B45 route. B44 SBS service, which will have some trips added with the extensionto Kingsborough, will continue to make the Select Bus Stops in the Rogers/Bedford Avenue area.

This would have to implemented with your other proposed changes to East Flatbush Bus routes, such as the B12 reroute along Empire Blvd and the B43 reroute southward to Kings County Hospital, etc, but would provide better connectivity.

And with that, service will improve. No more empty 62-foot buses and no more crowded 40-foot ones. Bus service would be more efficient, and your wish of a better bus network will be closer to reality. 

24 minutes ago, Interested Rider said:

Once again, Allan has a problem with the B/44 SBS south of Avenue U and offers ideas that indicate that he does not understand my community.

As far as the number of riders on the B/44 SBS that is going to Knapp Street, the service is needed as where are you going to turn the B/44 SBS as the bulk of the ridership comes from the Avenue X stop which my apartment window faces so I can observe the 10 -20 riders (and sometimes more) that board at the stop during all hours of the day. In the AM rush some of the school runs that terminate at Avenue X do the Avenue X, Batchelder Street, Avenue Y and Nostrand Avenue then begin the northbound run at the Avenue X stop.

While I am not usually a defender of the MTA, the question becomes in light of the present route structure, where are you going to turn the  buses and  I would like to add something that is usually not taken into consideration as providing service to Knapp Street has other things than the number of riders.  Do you know that the nursing home allows MTA drivers to use their bathroom facilities? This is extremely important as it is a health issue. This adds another dimension to providing service to Knapp Street as the only other provider is located just south of Avenue U and is a nursing home. 

As far as the Kingsborough Community College Service that you mentioned, I bought it up to the MTA at open-house at Brooklyn College and suggested that it be re-routed via Emmons Avenue. i disagree  strongly  with your proposal to re-route it via Avenue Z and then via the B/49 route to Kingsborough Community College as Avenue Z has become a nightmare in terms of traffic west of Ocean Avenue and if you add the artics, it will be wall to wall gridlock from daybreak to midnight.  The B/44 SBS will be another nail in the coffin of the B/36 as headways have already increased at all times during the day and on the weekend. The B/36  now is up to 20 minute headways after 8 PM when it used to be 12 -15 minutes during the week is just one instance and the traffic along Avenue Z has only made it worse.

I am one of those who believe give Mr. Byford some slack in terms of doing his job as he has to deal with an entrenched bureaucracy that is reluctant to change. The system cannot have a total change overnight and it has to be done slowly using existing programs in place. He cannot be everywhere and the small step that MTA took in terms of the B/44 SBS stop at Avenue R after 4 years is great. The fact that MTA will be doing a comprehensive study of all Brooklyn Bus Routes ln the future is a major step in changing the routes and I, for one, am happy and hope that Mr. Byford will stay on to help to guide it through to completion. 

You must be oblivious to the fact that the B36 has had crowding issues, especially during the rush hours. Meanwhile, B44 local and SBS buses have been virtually empty south of Avenue X. His plans are a great idea, since it would reduce crowding, and make bus service more efficient. I would add a single SBS stop at Bedford Avenue along Avenue Z if you don’t mind. And with this change, I could see the B36 rush hours headways reduced to 6 minutes, with the extra buses being used to increase off-peak B36 service to make it more attractive. Service would run every 10 minutes, and this B44 SBS Branch on Avenue Z would operate every 8 minutes. Also, the bus drivers can use the bathrooms at Kingsborough if they want to. He has not proposed eliminating service to Knapp Street, but rerouting some buses from there’s since ridership there has been light (except during those shift changes). If all goes well, the this service would operate every 8 minutes as well.

And by by the way, trust him. He was a former planner for the MTA in the 1980s, and as a Manhattan Beach resident, he has seen the problems of the buses, such as outdated routing and crowding. In fact, he was responsible for the bus changes affecting Southwest Brooklyn in 1978. Give him some slack as well. 

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

And by by the way, trust him. He was a former planner for the MTA in the 1980s, and as a Manhattan Beach resident, he has seen the problems of the buses, such as outdated routing and crowding. In fact, he was responsible for the bus changes affecting Southwest Brooklyn in 1978. Give him some slack as well. 

Lol.

48 minutes ago, Interested Rider said:

Oh, but he definitely understands his !

I'm no advocate for the B49 per se, but at the same time, the B44 has no business being extended down there....

14 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

You must be oblivious to the fact that the B36 has had crowding issues, especially during the rush hours. Meanwhile, B44 local and SBS buses have been virtually empty south of Avenue X. His plans are a great idea, since it would reduce crowding, and make bus service more efficient. I would add a single SBS stop at Bedford Avenue along Avenue Z if you don’t mind. And with this change, I could see the B36 rush hours headways reduced to 6 minutes, with the extra buses being used to increase off-peak B36 service to make it more attractive. Service would run every 10 minutes, and this B44 SBS Branch on Avenue Z would operate every 8 minutes. Also, the bus drivers can use the bathrooms at Kingsborough if they want to. He has not proposed eliminating service to Knapp Street, but rerouting some buses from there’s since ridership there has been light (except during those shift changes). If all goes well, the this service would operate every 8 minutes as well.

Nobody's disagreeing with the fact that the B44 gets light on the ass end of the route.... The question is, why do B44's even need to run to KCC? So, what, so that buses be more like sardine cans? It's a solution finding a problem... They're not going to make these SBS routes more indirect for the sake of more ridership anyway..... Yeah, more ridership in general is good, but at the same time, trying to one-size-fits-all a particular bus route isn't necessarily a good thing either - and that is exactly how I see a B44 to KCC.... Isn't it enough that the damn thing runs from Sheepshead to Williamsburg?

If InterestedRider is perceptive enough to see that "the bulk of the ridership (of the B44) comes from the Avenue X stop which my apartment window faces so I can observe the 10 -20 riders (and sometimes more) that board at the stop during all hours of the day. In the AM rush some of the school runs that terminate at Avenue X do the Avenue X, Batchelder Street, Avenue Y and Nostrand Avenue then begin the northbound run at the Avenue X stop.", why would he then be "must be oblivious" to the crowding issues on the B36 - which operates  along the same portion of Nostrand av :lol:

Ever stopped to think why the B36 has crowding issues? "You must be oblivious" to B36 patronage west of Sheepshead Bay (B)(Q) & how absolutely sluggish the thing runs; never-mind the portion east of it...... Yes his plans would reduce crowding on that part of the B36, on the B36 - it would also render it null & void, since turnover from either side of said subway station is quite high.....

Running B44's to KCC isn't going to fix the issues plaguing the B36....  That's the narrative it's looking like you're trying to convey here.

14 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Bear in mind that we're almost three-quarters into the year 2018 & he currently does not hold that position anymore...

You act like everything the man says is gospel.