R32 Retirement Run

nightmare402

53 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

How in the heck was someone able put a big hole in those seats? I’ve seen people jump on and off R68 and R160 seats with barely any damage. I’ve seen morbidly obese people sit on those seats without causing damage to them. Wouldn’t you need some kind of large cutting tool to put a big hole in those hard plastic seats?  I really hope that’s not what happened.

That's incredibly rude...

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

That's incredibly rude...

No it isn’t. If I had said something like “giant fat asses,” then that would be incredibly rude. But I did not say that. I’m saying those seats have done just fine over the years with people of all shapes and sizes sitting on them, so I’m just trying to find out how a bunch of out-of-control foamers put a giant hole in the seat after just a couple hours of retirement runs. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

On 12/14/2021 at 2:05 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

I'M DREAMING HERE, trust me, I am not trying to start a rumor at all.  But I was told shortly after the R32's received their GOH, and I DID NOT HEAR a confirmation on this, that the digital end sign, along with all the "tin" around it, was simply put over the original end signs/markers/local/exp. signs.  Wouldn't it be great if that rumor was true and they are able to restore the "face" to its former and proper glory? 

I'll gladly take the sticker they applied the R32 as shown above.

On 12/24/2021 at 5:27 PM, Calvin said:

I wonder if the seats on the R32 are repairable or that they would have to use a new 2 car pair that's in storage.

Also, Merry Christmas to everyone and if you're riding this Sunday, Allied Universal patrol are replaced by extra transit personal on-board. 

On 12/25/2021 at 10:10 AM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

How in the heck was someone able put a big hole in those seats? I’ve seen people jump on and off R68 and R160 seats with barely any damage. I’ve seen morbidly obese people sit on those seats without causing damage to them. Wouldn’t you need some kind of large cutting tool to put a big hole in those hard plastic seats?  I really hope that’s not what happened.

By smashing it with a blunt object or a hard kick with heavy boots.  There is a bit of hollow behind those seatbacks so that's how they were able to kick it in.  That damage is something that cannot be repaired.  Either they replaced the damage with a seatback from an out of service car, or 3840/41 were the 2 cars removed from the train.  The other car from that pair had a damaged light fixture.  Supposedly the train is 8 cars today, which I can verify when I show up later.

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

By smashing it with a blunt object or a hard kick with heavy boots.  There is a bit of hollow behind those seatbacks so that's how they were able to kick it in.  That damage is something that cannot be repaired.  Either they replaced the damage with a seatback from an out of service car, or 3840/41 were the 2 cars removed from the train.  The other car from that pair had a damaged light fixture.  Supposedly the train is 8 cars today, which I can verify when I show up later.

It was 3888/9 that was removed from the consist. 3840/1 is in-service today.

5 hours ago, DaPr03 said:

The R32 now has stickers to "look like" the Pre-GOH version despite not having blue doors....

(Photo)

WOW 😮…I gotta say, they did a pretty damn good job of approximating the pre-GOH look with those stickers. All they need are blue front and side doors,  and “ta” insignias and I think they got it. 

Someone posted an podcast about last week events on a non transit reddit (NYC Reddit) and some of the comments from regular New Yorkers are quite funny.

Lmao this is an admirable level of anger to have about the retirement run of a train

I'm not feeling this latest season of Thomas the Tank Engine

Given how many people have felonies I have a hard time believing any train doesn't have a dozen felons on it at any given time. What was there a no felons on the train rule or something? That they expected people to listen to? Were they running background checks for riders? I caught a felony 15 years ago because cops found an empty baggie in my car that had some coke residue, can I not come ride the farewell run? Clearly I'm a danger.

Sounds like every day commuting home from high school

Edited by trainfan22

13 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Today’s run went smoothly. I’m happy

That's because TA put them fools who acted up last week on notice...

So they stayed their infectious non behaving silly selves home...Or they showed up and Behaved..

Sometimes you just cant sugar coat chit with people with mindsets like that, tell them what's going to happen and be ready to do it if need be.

15 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Today’s run went smoothly. I’m happy

Since that run started after Christmas, a lot of people stood home to spend time with their parents instead of going to the 32. It was definitely more calm and peaceful than last week

On 12/19/2021 at 7:36 PM, trainfan22 said:

laughing-guy-scotland.gif

Wild seeing people in MTA vests hemming people up, second guy doesn't seem like a railfan just some random dude.

Private security for an TM trip I'm LMAO

the guy who got pulled off at 145th Street works at 2 Broadway....Needless to say, Allied Universal refused to believe this and subsequently lost their contract with the MTA...We wont be seeing them anytime soon

Progression of the retirement run R32: 

Week of December 19 -> 10 car train with (D) train signage and freshly painted bonnets in silver/grey

Week of December 26th, post-Christmas -> R32 3360 gets the Special 2nd Avenue stickers pasted on the top of the train (Pre-GOH version)

Week of January 2nd -> Blue painted doors and gates

Coming January 9th -> maybe special farewell banner on the first and last cars of the train and old MTA logo

Edited by Calvin

11 hours ago, Calvin said:

Progression of the retirement run R32: 

Week of December 19 -> 10 car train with (D) train signage and freshly painted bonnets in silver/grey

Week of December 26th, post-Christmas -> R32 3360 gets the Special 2nd Avenue stickers pasted on the top of the train (Pre-GOH version)

Week of January 2nd -> Blue painted doors and gates

Coming January 9th -> maybe special farewell banner on the first and last cars of the train and old MTA logo

Too bad they didn’t run the R32 on the (Q) line but I guess that’s because of the slight possibility of a reroute via the (R) line which R32’s can’t run through the Montague tunnel. 

44 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Too bad they didn’t run the R32 on the (Q) line but I guess that’s because of the slight possibility of a reroute via the (R) line which R32’s can’t run through the Montague tunnel. 

They will run on the (Q) between Brighton Beach and 96th Street on the second sunday in January.

12 hours ago, DaPr03 said:

Taken by one of my friends who work for TA, R32 running in farewell runs now painted with blue doors: 269982569_1611525335868713_1351463985279

WOW 😮!!! They even painted the gates blue. I definitely wasn’t expecting that. It looks great. Like new. After the crazy shit that happened on the 19th, I was considering saying, “Eh…I’ll visit them in the Museum.” But now I may consider taking that one last ride after all.

I just hope this car, and whichever others get this treatment (if any), get preserved. It would be a real damn shame to hear of it (or them) getting trucked off to Sims Metal looking like this. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue
Hope for preservation