LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, 67thAve said:

I'm glad to hear that it's opening, but definitely quite disappointed that it's happening while I'm away in London for three months! Hopefully the LIRR concourse doesn't turn into a homeless colony by April.

I guess my surprise run-in with a certain famous London transport personality earlier this month was my consolation prize after all...

Sounds like a certain “All the Stations” guy..but 

It will definitely turn into a homeless shelter within maybe even a month, once one finds out, the rest will. The main floor of GCT will be empty in comparison to the LIRR floor (since it’ll be opened all night).

3 hours ago, NBTA said:

It will definitely turn into a homeless shelter within maybe even a month, once one finds out, the rest will. The main floor of GCT will be empty in comparison to the LIRR floor (since it’ll be opened all night).

Where did you get that from?

9 hours ago, Calvin said:

I'm not sure if this is new to others but I heard that the M3s aren't allowed to be used to/from Grand Central. Not sure if it's a clearance issue or so. 

Yep no M3’s and no diesels. I believe it was said that they couldn’t make the steep climb out of the portal on the way out or they didn’t want to risk it. They’ve never run an M3 in there to begin with.

2 hours ago, NBTA said:

When the service fully runs to Grand Central (not this shuttle thing), I believe trains will run there all night. I could be wrong as always.

The draft East Side Access schedules show no service to/from Grand Central Madison between ~1:45 AM and 5:45 AM.  

7 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Yep no M3’s and no diesels. I believe it was said that they couldn’t make the steep climb out of the portal on the way out or they didn’t want to risk it. They’ve never run an M3 in there to begin with.

The M3s also aren't compatible with the new signal system in the ESA tunnels.

The TrainTime app has been improved.

You can now select up to four origin and destination pairs (2 each) on the Trips tab to check your options. For example, if you live close to New Hyde Park and Stewart Manor or Mount Vernon East/West, you can enter in both stations to see train times to/from both stations. You can also do the same for Penn Station/Grand Central In the FROM section to see which station it makes sense to head to if you’re in a cab or something.

It’ll also be good for the stations that are connected by a bus route, it’ll make it easier to plan where to make the transfer.

16 hours ago, NBTA said:

It will definitely turn into a homeless shelter within maybe even a month

A month? How about a day... I might have seen some homeless people when I was walking into the station today. The stop is so big that I honestly didn't minded them, but I could definitely see that getting out of hand down the line when more of them tell each other.

From what I've heard when chatting with the LIRR conductors at Grand Central, if there's ever a need if you're traveling at a LIRR station like Jamaica or Garden City and your destination is at a Metro North station for example, Croton-Hampton or Poughkeepsie, there will be a combo ticket in such when doing this method or a discount ticket when traveling between the two railroads. That's when there's full service coming soon to/from the new Grand Central terminal. 

Also, want to point out: today, the LIRR Grand Central shuttle consists of only the M9s. The M7s may make an appearance soon in passenger service. 

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

A month? How about a day... I might have seen some homeless people when I was walking into the station today. The stop is so big that I honestly didn't minded them, but I could definitely see that getting out of hand down the line when more of them tell each other.

There are always some homeless in Grand Central, but it's usually nothing like Penn Station, in part because there is a homeless outreach unit that goes around.  They are quite active.  Additionally, Grand Central does not stay open 24/7 like Penn Station, so they cannot just stay there indefinitely.  They also don't let them just lounge about. Most of the time you will see them standing on the Lower Concourse.  It used to be worse years ago, but with the more upscale options in Grand Central, you see fewer of them or they make themselves less noticeable. There are patrol desks on both the Main Concourse and Lower Concourse to monitor all activity, so as someone who has frequented Grand Central as MNRR rider and worker in the area for years that has dined there or bought food there often, they will not let it get out of hand like Penn Station.  The merchants using those areas made it clear that the homeless previously were bad for business, so measures were taken to contain the situation.  The opening to the LIRR area used to be filled with homeless before the conversion, so much so that us office workers that frequented Grand Central for lunch couldn't eat in that area.  

Occasionally I would eat lunch on the Lower Level with a co-worker and stopped doing that pre-COVID because there were too many of them walking around, so we would get food and bring it back to our office or eat elsewhere in Grand Central where they couldn't congregate, but now I would eat on the Lower Level with little concern.  Security all over Grand Central has been greatly improved I must say, not just the Concourse levels, but the entrances by Vanderbilt where you will find a few upscale restaurants that I have frequented over the years.

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/grand-central-terminal-business-owners-homeless/

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Ok so with my experience with GCM there are 4 exits each color coded for the street they lead to. There is a hidden back staircase to the 100 level MNR platforms behind the escalators at 45th St and and another hidden connection to the 2 digit platforms on 47th St. If you know your connecting track it is much faster to use those connections than walking to/from GCM and backtracking to GCT. 

Edited by IAlam

22 hours ago, NBTA said:

5 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Grand Central is closed for four hours overnight for cleaning and for security purposes. MTA PD does a pretty good job kicking everyone out.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Train 9003 to GCT is crowded…never knew there was such a high demand for LIRR service to GCT.

A lot of people traveling from Queens/Long Island want east side service. 
At Lexington Ave going SB the (E) can get crushed with people and a lot of those people would get off at 34th street for the LIRR. Once the other branches start serving Grand Central, we should start to see more room on the (E) . 

9 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

A lot of people traveling from Queens/Long Island want east side service. 
At Lexington Ave going SB the (E) can get crushed with people and a lot of those people would get off at 34th street for the LIRR. Once the other branches start serving Grand Central, we should start to see more room on the (E) . 

I think the majority of those people are going to NJ Transit. (Either the trains at 34th Street/Penn Station, or the buses at 42nd Street/PABT). It'll definitely take some riders off the (E) (in both directions, towards Penn Station and towards Jamaica), but I don't think the difference will be that much.