MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

The snow loans are done mainly because of suspension of artics. Artics have bad traction in inclement weather and even worse when climbing hills. So a lot of Bronx artic routes have to get help from other depots becuz most of their 40 ft fleet is being used already on their own 40 ft routes. Jamaica, QV usually loan to the Bronx, and most of the other boroughs help out within themselves such as Laguardia loans to Baisley because a lot of Baisley now has artics.

Edited by danielhg121

• Replies 36.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roster Updated as of Feb 11th, 2017 @ 10:10AM

http://ttmg.org/transitwiki/Insider%27s_Guide:_(New_York)_MTA_Bus_Operations_-_Roster_by_Depot

Minor Moves at the following Depots:

Manhattan: OF, OH, MQ

Queens: BP, FR, JA, JK

Brooklyn: EN, GA

SI: CH, YU

Edited by The Real

Here's my take on those 4900s from JA & ENY, ENY has been getting shoved down their throats with 4900s lately so, Check this out. I personally think they should transfer at least some of those 4900s from JA or ENY to Manhattan, to depots like MHV & or MJQ as an exchange for some OGs or NGs here's why. I've asked a lot of the drivers, & operators at Quill about this and they told me that they could use some more RTSs for the M72 & M66 since they can't use Orion VIIs on those routes anyway and also ever since they retired the 1998 RTSs and the remaining 1999 D60HFs, they've been short on some units. Even a lot of the passengers I've spoken to prefer the RTSs & complain about the Hybrids mostly the NGs. Also, even some drivers at Manhattanville prefer the RTSs for certain routes like the M96, M106 & M116.

"ONCE AGAIN TO MAKE IT CLEAR, I'm not saying this just because I like the RTSs & I'm an RTS fan. This is just a thought that's been crossing my mind for a while now.

So "while being civilized," let me know what you guys think about this?

Here's my take on those 4900s from JA & ENY, ENY has been getting shoved down their throats with 4900s lately so, Check this out. I personally think they should transfer at least some of those 4900s from JA or ENY to Manhattan, to depots like MHV & or MJQ as an exchange for some OGs or NGs here's why. I've asked a lot of the drivers, & operators at Quill about this and they told me that they could use some more RTSs for the M72 & M66 since they can't use Orion VIIs on those routes anyway and also ever since they retired the 1998 RTSs and the remaining 1999 D60HFs, they've been short on some units. Even a lot of the passengers I've spoken to prefer the RTSs & complain about the Hybrids mostly the NGs. Also, even some drivers at Manhattanville prefer the RTSs for certain routes like the M96, M106 & M116.

"ONCE AGAIN TO MAKE IT CLEAR, I'm not saying this just because I like the RTSs & I'm an RTS fan. This is just a thought that's been crossing my mind for a while now.

Here's the problem tho.. (MTA) has already made Manhattanville all Hybrid. For it to go back RTS would be a big deal, and something to that effect won't happen anytime soon. It would be a good idea logistically to transfer the rest of the 4900's to East New York or MJQ. However, where are you going to get extra buses for Jamaica right now?  Remember Jamaica also has 5100's that are still in the depot, and at the rate of new bus order(s) and extensive delays we won't be seeing new buses anytime soon. Perhaps April or May if the forecast sounds correct.

Devil's Advocate here; What's going happens to all this hype about the RTS when the TA eventually retire them all :D? The drivers aren't going to drive the next model chosen for the M66/72? or the Riders are not going to take the bus because they don't like the model that shows up?  Sometimes, some people just worry about the wrong things...

But in all seriousness these moves might be in preparation for the new deliveries the TA as on the horizon

This sounds rather fantastical to me.

Next time, post this essay in the random thoughts thread.