MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

• Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MHV184 said:

What do you think they might get in return?

Short answer. Nothing.  
Why everyone thinks that buses leave a depot they are expected to get buses in return. What about in this situation that MHV feels that they have too much buses and perhaps they want to move some to MCH and TU for the time being. 

Honestly, IMO some MV buses should come to Brooklyn to alleviate some of the OG’s to be retired instead of TU and MCH getting buses and besides both depots have capacity issues as is. 

18 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

5299 Scrap to WF-renumbered 5252

May I ask why they renumbered 5299 to 5252? This maybe a similar case where a bus gets renumbered into the same number series. The D60s from 1998 were originally numbered 1110-1111, and then we're renumbered to 5250-5251, to match the 5200 series.

9 minutes ago, RSMG106 said:

May I ask why they renumbered 5299 to 5252? This maybe a similar case where a bus gets renumbered into the same number series. The D60s from 1998 were originally numbered 1110-1111, and then we're renumbered to 5250-5251, to match the 5200 series.

It's a personal reason (involving a bus op and the crash at 14 St). 

2 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

2 hours ago, Snorunts said:

Lmaooo, don’t see why it couldn’t keep it numbered as 5299...

I heard the renumbering is due to 5299 killing the bus driver on scene and making other b/os uncomfortable with driving "5299" as a result of the death.

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Assigned at Gun Hill at the moment.

That was a typo on my end. I did hear it was assigned to WF when I first heard the news but forgot to change that.

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Short answer. Nothing.  
Why everyone thinks that buses leave a depot they are expected to get buses in return. What about in this situation that MHV feels that they have too much buses and perhaps they want to move some to MCH and TU for the time being. 

Honestly, IMO some MV buses should come to Brooklyn to alleviate some of the OG’s to be retired instead of TU and MCH getting buses and besides both depots have capacity issues as is. 

more than likey, it was determined by DOB that Manhattanville can afford to loose those buses in order to increase the spare factor at Hale & 100 Street, 2 depots that people forget are operating at bare minimum levels. both depots, in regards to their 40 foot fleet(s) have low spare numbers due to capacity limitations at both yards (which people conveniently forget) regardless, between 100 Street, Hale & Manhattanville, they're always swapping & loaning buses to make service at OH & OF for am/pm rush hour service... OH has been technically "short" for a decade and OF has been technically "short" since it reopened (BY DESIGN), so personally, it's not really a big deal in my eyes. Manhattanville is not a yard that'll suffer from 5 buses being reassigned, by any stretch. people really need to stop reaching 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

50 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I haven’t kept track of Manhattan’s 2006 Hybrids much, but according to TTMG, MV lost 4 of them to MJQ (not sure the unit numbers).

Actually you are correct. Error on my end. That's because 6752-54 were already at MQ and TTMG formated the update differently.

So yes, 6748-6751 MV to MQ

44 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I would not be surprised if a lot of these Manhattan moves are to get buses their OMNY readers installed.

Most of the Manhattan buses already have the OMNY readers installed (They are supposed to be active right now for Manhattan buses).

Also, most of the buses that were moved are in service at their new depots.

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

On 3/15/2020 at 10:34 PM, Snorunts said:

Lmaooo, don’t see why it couldn’t keep it numbered as 5299...

Probably because, as 5299, that bus was involved in a fatal accident. I have seen this done before in aviation, where a Southwest Airlines plane was involved in a fatal car crash (runway overrun) as N471WN. After repairs, it was re-registered as N286WN.

On 3/15/2020 at 10:36 PM, RSMG106 said:

14 St crash killed a bus driver, william pena. He has a room in MJQ depot named after him. Guess drivers worry about driving that bus.

Take a look at this: https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/person-dead-mta-bus-hits-truck-greenwich-village-article-1.1610915