MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

This thread is going to get real hot for 2016!!!

XD40's 7483-7734 (252) and Nova's 8504-8671 (168) are on the horizon. Updating the Bus Ops Thread now. #Options

So nothing really new with the assignments for these buses?

I'm assuming the depots that already have new Xcelsiors or new LFS will just get more of that type to knock out RTS/Orions?

• Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So nothing really new with the assignments for these buses?

I'm assuming the depots that already have new Xcelsiors or new LFS will just get more of that type to knock out RTS/Orions? 

These are likely to be based out of Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens, since that's were the main units that need to be retired are layed at, but anything can happen.

Getting rid of the garbage one bus at a time...  :D

Enough with the "garbage" comments! Many of us happen to like the Orion V buses. I remember when the first Orion V was delivered (93073) to Yukon. It never saw service there, but was delivered there for driver training. Yukon received 93001-93072 (soft-seaters). The rest of the order had hard-seating for local service. At least the Orions were MADE IN NEW YORK, unlike the POS RTS junk! The Orions were a welcome sight. I had become sick of the RTS buses since the first RTS (2201) was delivered in August 1981. Yes, 2201 was delivered a month before 1201 was! Also, 2201 was the only RTS delivered with 4 roof hatches!

Personally, I'll be happy when the last RTS leaves the property! The best bus the TA/OA ever owned was the fishbowls. Some of them lasted close to 30 years!

If you don't like a certain type of bus, PLEASE don't voice your opinions here. This forum is for bus moves ONLY.

Thank you for your future cooperation! Rant over.

8233 In service at Castleton

5621 to 100 St

5621 has been at OHS.

I don't know if it was reported but 5799 is at CS with the CS decal.

5799 was moved to CS last year for the start-up of the Q-44 SBS. I guess they decided to keep it!

Enough with the "garbage" comments! Many of us happen to like the Orion V buses. I remember when the first Orion V was delivered (93073) to Yukon. It never saw service there, but was delivered there for driver training. Yukon received 93001-93072 (soft-seaters). The rest of the order had hard-seating for local service. At least the Orions were MADE IN NEW YORK, unlike the POS RTS junk! The Orions were a welcome sight. I had become sick of the RTS buses since the first RTS (2201) was delivered in August 1981. Yes, 2201 was delivered a month before 1201 was! Also, 2201 was the only RTS delivered with 4 roof hatches!

Personally, I'll be happy when the last RTS leaves the property! The best bus the TA/OA ever owned was the fishbowls. Some of them lasted close to 30 years!

If you don't like a certain type of bus, PLEASE don't voice your opinions here. This forum is for bus moves ONLY.

Not to nitpick or anything, but your saying that the RTS is a POS/Junk is just an opinion as well, because it surely is not a fact. *Dante coughs as last Orions V is retired and RTS's are overhauled and getting new destination signs. Let's not forget the TA could have opted for more fishbowls as the last were not delivered until 1986. However, they went for the RTS and the rest is history.

They ONLY ordered the 6000 series buses because Flxible went out of business and they needed another 350 buses ASAP. They wanted RTS buses, but Nova didn't have any production slots. All the Orion V fans just got lucky. To this day MTA wishes they were 350 RTS models, and NOT the Orion V.

The newest RTS buses will be 30 as well when they retire, and according to TA facts and figures out of East New York, the RTS is not only their favorite, but the bus had the lowest maintenance cost of any bus they ever owned to date. A direct descendant of the Fishbowl. #Detroit #AllHail #NothingWillEverHoldACandle #JustTheFacts

I don't really see why you attacked VG8 like that, the same way you feel about the RTS is the same way he feels about the Orions. And honestly, as much as I love the RTS, the day all high floors are retired is the day I will breakdance in front of all the scraps at ECH.

Never thought it would get old seeing a WF RTS in front of my building honestly....... same with the Bx13 orions at gateway ctr.

Not to nitpick or anything, but your saying that the RTS is a POS/Junk is just an opinion as well, because it surely is not a fact. *Dante coughs as last Orions V is retired and RTS's are overhauled and getting new destination signs. Let's not forget the TA could have opted for more fishbowls as the last were not delivered until 1986. However, they went for the RTS and the rest is history.

They ONLY ordered the 6000 series buses because Flxible went out of business and they needed another 350 buses ASAP. They wanted RTS buses, but Nova didn't have any production slots. All the Orion V fans just got lucky. To this day MTA wishes they were 350 RTS models, and NOT the Orion V.

The newest RTS buses will be 30 as well when they retire, and according to TA facts and figures out of East New York, the RTS is not only their favorite, but the bus had the lowest maintenance cost of any bus they ever owned to date. A direct descendant of the Fishbowl. #Detroit #AllHail #NothingWillEverHoldACandle #JustTheFacts

The oldest RTS is 20 years old. The first RTS buses were the worst! The 6V-71 engines were so underpowered that they could barely make it up Kingsbridge hill (Bx-9) (#2005 & #2010 being the slowest I had ridden of that group). The 1981 & 1983 RTS buses were the worst RTS that the TA/OA ordered. The 1982 RTS were delivered with a 6V-92, but they went back to the 6V-71 with the 1983 order.

5011 (ex-8050) was the oldest fishbowl to be rebuilt by Blitz in 1985, built in 1966 and lasted to at least 1994. 8041 was the oldest non-rebuilt fishbowl, also built in 1966 and was not supposed to be sent to Walnut Scrap Yard in 1991. They had planned to renumber it to 5023, as it was supposed to be eventually added to the museum fleet, but some schmuck at GH sent it to the scrap yard instead. 8041's original factory-installed A/C still worked!

I don't really see why you attacked VG8 like that, the same way you feel about the RTS is the same way he feels about the Orions. And honestly, as much as I love the RTS, the day all high floors are retired is the day I will breakdance in front of all the scraps at ECH.

Never thought it would get old seeing a WF RTS in front of my building honestly....... same with the Bx13 orions at gateway ctr.

My rant wasn't attacking him. I was comment that we really need to keep our comments about the buses we don't like off of this forum. Let's keep it professional and only post bus moves here.

5621 has been at OHS.

5799 was moved to CS last year for the start-up of the Q-44 SBS. I guess they decided to keep it!

Um...#93051-93072 was delivered to Castleton. If not delivered to Castleton (which most likely they were), then they damn sure operated out of Castleton. Saw many of them "racing" up Madison Av before the MCIs were a thought!

Edited by The TransitMan

The oldest RTS is 20 years old. The first RTS buses were the worst! The 6V-71 engines were so underpowered that they could barely make it up Kingsbridge hill (Bx-9) (#2005 & #2010 being the slowest I had ridden of that group). The 1981 & 1983 RTS buses were the worst RTS that the TA/OA ordered. The 1982 RTS were delivered with a 6V-92, but they went back to the 6V-71 with the 1983 order.

5011 (ex-8050) was the oldest fishbowl to be rebuilt by Blitz in 1985, built in 1966 and lasted to at least 1994. 8041 was the oldest non-rebuilt fishbowl, also built in 1966 and was not supposed to be sent to Walnut Scrap Yard in 1991. They had planned to renumber it to 5023, as it was supposed to be eventually added to the museum fleet, but some schmuck at GH sent it to the scrap yard instead. 8041's original factory-installed A/C still worked!

My rant wasn't attacking him. I was comment that we really need to keep our comments about the buses we don't like off of this forum. Let's keep it professional and only post bus moves here.

Your rant was indeed an attack, and my comment while not a fact is from personal experience using those buses.  Some of them were literally death traps.  No AC at all and the windows simply refused to open.  They were dangerous and that alone is why I'm looking forward to them being retired.  

MaBstoa RTS's didn't go that low. Did you mean 2205 and 2210?

8041 was a fine bus! I drove it out of Flatbush depot on the B46 and it was the fastest bus in the depot in 1989. Fond memories from an old bus operator.

Hold it one second.The newest RTS are the 1998s. 1998>2008(10)>2018(20)>2028(30)

Are you trying to say that we won't get rid of the RTS till 2028?

3266, 3269, 3400, 3403, 3406, 3414, 3417,3428 and 3431 are at YON with ECH stickers. I believe 3423 was on the BxM18 this PM but I need to double check it.   

IMO, the 99 O5s are holding up a lot better approaching retirement than the 95 O5. The ex CAS 4xxs were basically imploding and collapsing on a regular basis in KB territory, havent seen as much of that with the newer O5s.

Edited by Q43 Floral Park