R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, VIP said:

There’s way too many 4-car sets, the surplus R179’s are either staying at 207th Street or going to Coney Island for (G) crosstown CBTC in the future. 

There are more R160 4 cars than R179. R160s have a better chance of going to CI for the (G)

Sometimes I think you guys just want to see an R179 at CI which isn't impossible, but nobody thinks about the R160s getting displaced at all and just assume they will stay there.

2 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Sometimes I think you guys just want to see an R179 at CI which isn't impossible, but nobody thinks about the R160s getting displaced at all and just assume they will stay there.

The document for the R179 CBTC installation specifically mentions Crosstown though.

7 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

Caught around 9:20p headed north.

Seen this same set twice yesterday testing... once going to the city... that was around 8:40-45 ish last night so your video could definitely  collaborate with the timing perfectly... and I saw It again at Jay at 10:30 southbound... came in opposite side doors opened and closed and it took off 

10 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

3226-29 arrived this week.?.?  We hope.

8 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Not yet. It would have been reported with pics and vids.

"This week"... it is literally only one day into this week. Deliveries are not received on the weekend. 

3228 and 3229 are coming in tomorrow. A friend of mine spotted them up in upstate NY at a rest area just a few hours ago.

On 3/10/2019 at 7:27 PM, trainfan22 said:

Since when was a 110B car apart of the Transit Museum fleet!?! If true that's awesome news, hope they put it on display at Court Street in the near future.

I may have been mistaken on what is defined as "museum fleet," but I meant that at least one is preserved, not necessarily at Court St.  This is the case with all fleets.

On 3/12/2019 at 5:56 PM, Lawrence St said:

Is it true that they recycled the parts from the original 3010-3014 set into the new version?

If by the original you mean the rejected pilot set (with the slightly different bonnet), then probably not.  AFAIK, they're not allowed to reuse parts from the rejected set.

Just now, Bosco said:

I may have been mistaken on what is defined as "museum fleet," but I meant that at least one is preserved, not necessarily at Court St.  This is the case with all fleets.

If by the original you mean the rejected pilot set (with the slightly different bonnet), then probably not.  AFAIK, they're not allowed to reuse parts from the rejected set.

I know the entire Transit Museum fleet is not stored at Court Street, the ones not on display are stored at 207th, CI and Pikin. I was hoping they would put it on display in the near future, as I never been on a 110B. I don't visit the TM regularly but from pics and youtube videos they do seems to shuffle the cars around from time to time, especially when cars on display are taken out to be used on fan trips. 

12 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Ouch so they basically wasted 4 million on that set.

15 minutes ago, <6>PelhamExp said:

Random - How come the interior door lights (I don't know what the technical term for it is) on the R179 are so obnoxiously big compared to what they usually look like? The only other car that also has obnoxiously big interior door lights are the R46.

I noticed that too and the interior LED lights, which shows the next stop, the time, etc are much more brighter than the rest of the other NTT'S. 

I guess they're trying to accommodate commuters who are visually challenged, lol!!

7 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I noticed that too and the interior LED lights, which shows the next stop, the time, etc are much more brighter than the rest of the other NTT'S. 

I guess they're trying to accommodate commuters who are visually challenged, lol!!

The brighter FINDs are because, despite being a similar design, the parts are 10 years newer.  That's why the LCD screen is bigger.

On 3/17/2019 at 8:53 PM, Lawrence St said:

Ouch so they basically wasted 4 million on that set.

Bombardier's problem.

7 hours ago, <6>PelhamExp said:

Random - How come the interior door lights (I don't know what the technical term for it is) on the R179 are so obnoxiously big compared to what they usually look like? The only other car that also has obnoxiously big interior door lights are the R46.

In case any one else is curious, they're officially called:

Fault Light: Lights up when the corresponding door is open
Interior Guard Light: Lights up when any door on the corresponding side is open
Exterior Guard Light: Lights up when any door on any side is open

The reason they are bigger on the R179 is probably parts similarity.  They are the same as the Interior Guard Lights on the R142s.

On 3/17/2019 at 8:49 PM, trainfan22 said:

I know the entire Transit Museum fleet is not stored at Court Street, the ones not on display are stored at 207th, CI and Pikin. I was hoping they would put it on display in the near future, as I never been on a 110B. I don't visit the TM regularly but from pics and youtube videos they do seems to shuffle the cars around from time to time, especially when cars on display are taken out to be used on fan trips. 

One can hope...

1 hour ago, Jcb said:

The NYC subreddit doesn't do much besides complain about everything. It's kind of their thing.

I posted a nice video of the 7 at sunset, and someone even joked when I mentioned appreciating the subway, saying "What would this sub do if it couldn't comment "tHaT pRoBaBlY sMeLlS lIkE pIsS" every day"

Edited by Enjineer
Actual quote from Reddit