SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’m curious for the R160 sets that got unwrapped from the Cuomo scheme do they add in the short seats that are located at the ends of the cars. 

It remained as it was during the experiment. The end-seats removed for the R211 mockup with priority seating facing the end of the bench. 

51 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The Rosie Perez announcements are done on the PA systems in the stations, not on the trains. Just heard them at some of the C line stops in BK.

Here's an article about it..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/07/20/rosie-perez-says-do-the-right-thing-and-wear-a-mask-in-new-mta-ad/amp/

Always liked her accent....

2 hours ago, RapidoNewLook said:

Why were the Cuomo R160s unwrapped?

Some of them were vandalized on the outside so, they have to use a heavy chemical to get rid of the markings (spray paint). It also melted part of the wrap so, it was best to get rid of the whole wrap rather showing parts of what's left afterwards. 

Edited by Calvin

A little off topic but still subway-related

When I was younger, I used to get bullied because I really liked trains.I knew that it was a really stupid thing to  bully someone over but these people did not care. It made me really sad that they could not understand the reason why I liked something so much. but it all changed one day. I was at the transit museum with my friend (i was 11 years old at the time) in the R42 car and I see these little kids,maybe around 3-5 years old. They were really enjoying the train and making announcements. So I showed them my best impression for an R42 announcements. They were dumbfounded and it brought me joy to realize that I shared the same interest as these young children. My friends mother met with their mother,who was standing outside of the train and talked with her for a little bit. She was impressed about the knowledge about the subway that me and my friend had and asked where we were from. We said that we were from Washington DC and were just visiting (true). The mother was dumbfounded. She was so surprised that despite being around 300 miles from home,we knew so much about the subway.That moment finally made me feel that trains really was the thing meant for me and that there was nothing wrong with that. I still think about those little kids and their mom to this day.

This is very important to me, please don't be rude about it.

Edited by Bklyn Bound 2 Local

1 hour ago, Bklyn Bound 2 Local said:

A little off topic but still subway-related

When I was younger, I used to get bullied because I really liked trains.I knew that it was a really stupid thing to  bully someone over but these people did not care. It made me really sad that they could not understand the reason why I liked something so much. but it all changed one day. I was at the transit museum with my friend (i was 11 years old at the time) in the R42 car and I see these little kids,maybe around 3-5 years old. They were really enjoying the train and making announcements. So I showed them my best impression for an R42 announcements. They were dumbfounded and it brought me joy to realize that I shared the same interest as these young children. My friends mother met with their mother,who was standing outside of the train and talked with her for a little bit. She was impressed about the knowledge about the subway that me and my friend had and asked where we were from. We said that we were from Washington DC and were just visiting (true). The mother was dumbfounded. She was so surprised that despite being around 300 miles from home,we knew so much about the subway.That moment finally made me feel that trains really was the thing meant for me and that there was nothing wrong with that. I still think about those little kids and their mom to this day.

This is very important to me, please don't be rude about it.

There's nothing you've said here that warrants being rude to you.... I was never bullied, but for some odd reason, I was the kid that the kid who was bullied latched on to.... Nobody I knew of in school was interested in public transit & I didn't make (any of) my hobbies public knowledge to anybody either (didn't care to, didn't try to fit in with anybody).... While everybody was off doing whatever it is they did, I was too busy analyzing maps & joyriding around the city.... I'll never forget the one time my mother yelled at me for some reason, and I stormed out of the house & took it upon myself to finally see just what the hell "Wakefield-241st" was.... I knew all the end terminals of every subway line, but since the (2) was my quote-unquote home line, I finally took the chance to ride the thing to its end terminal.... Probably a stupid thing to do, but I did it anyway - I was around that age at the time (12/13) & this venture was dead in the middle of a blizzard (back when the subway system wasn't shut down, when a little something called snow started falling from the sky :lol:).... This was also the first time I saw a Bee-Line bus (which made me want to learn more about Westchester county's bus system).... I wasn't even worried about getting jumped, mugged, or anything like that (this was during the early 90's, mind you)..... I started getting worried about the return trip home, and if the train were to break down or something along WPR (or anywhere along the elevated/"outside" portion of the (2))..... Ah, the good old redbirds :)

Going on all these joyrides I guess, taught me how to learn to deal with people & to be observant as f*** when you're out & about.... But yeah man, whilst on the train amongst family, I would sit & announce the next stop (akin to how a c/r would... before the automated announcements sucked all the fun out of that... and yes, I made a few c/r's smile doing announcements too) & what not.... Although I never knew the contract numbers/R-designation of the rolling stock at that age, what I could tell you is what type of train ran on what subway line (I had my little way of describing distinguishable differences).....

Long story short, people need to stop ragging on others for taking up a hobby that isn't quite in line with their own.... Yeah, humans are said to be created equal, but something else a human being is, is diverse.... It would quite frankly suck IMO if EVERYBODY had the same interests, same thought processes, same beliefs, etc etc..

9 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

There's nothing you've said here that warrants being rude to you.... I was never bullied, but for some odd reason, I was the kid that the kid who was bullied latched on to.... Nobody I knew of in school was interested in public transit & I didn't make (any of) my hobbies public knowledge to anybody either (didn't care to, didn't try to fit in with anybody).... While everybody was off doing whatever it is they did, I was too busy analyzing maps & joyriding around the city.... I'll never forget the one time my mother yelled at me for some reason, and I stormed out of the house & took it upon myself to finally see just what the hell "Wakefield-241st" was.... I knew all the end terminals of every subway line, but since the (2) was my quote-unquote home line, I finally took the chance to ride the thing to its end terminal.... Probably a stupid thing to do, but I did it anyway - I was around that age at the time (12/13) & this venture was dead in the middle of a blizzard (back when the subway system wasn't shut down, when a little something called snow started falling from the sky :lol:).... This was also the first time I saw a Bee-Line bus (which made me want to learn more about Westchester county's bus system).... I wasn't even worried about getting jumped, mugged, or anything like that (this was during the early 90's, mind you)..... I started getting worried about the return trip home, and if the train were to break down or something along WPR (or anywhere along the elevated/"outside" portion of the (2))..... Ah, the good old redbirds :)

Going on all these joyrides I guess, taught me how to learn to deal with people & to be observant as f*** when you're out & about.... But yeah man, whilst on the train amongst family, I would sit & announce the next stop (akin to how a c/r would... before the automated announcements sucked all the fun out of that... and yes, I made a few c/r's smile doing announcements too) & what not.... Although I never knew the contract numbers/R-designation of the rolling stock at that age, what I could tell you is what type of train ran on what subway line (I had my little way of describing distinguishable differences).....

Long story short, people need to stop ragging on others for taking up a hobby that isn't quite in line with their own.... Yeah, humans are said to be created equal, but something else a human being is, is diverse.... It would quite frankly suck IMO if EVERYBODY had the same interests, same thought processes, same beliefs, etc etc..

nice story!

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I'll never forget the one time my mother yelled at me for some reason, and I stormed out of the house & took it upon myself to finally see just what the hell "Wakefield-241st" was

haha I still don't even know "what it is," but it seems like a fun travel opportunity considering its proximity with Westchester. Pretty far from Brooklyn though, and obviously it's not really a good time to joyride with coronavirus either... maybe one day.

12 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

You've pretty much described how I learned the subway system albeit I did my exploration 30 years before you did. I already had my Lionel at home and then at 11 years old I got a bus and subway pass. Free rides on subways allowed me to explore every line in the system. I rode every bus line in Brooklyn and learned the differences between neighborhoods. My original home base in Brownsville gave me the opportunity to see the massive complex at Atlantic Avenue to Broadway Junction with the Canarsie line and the dual level LIRR station(s) below Atlantic. Moved to Flatbush/Lefferts Garden but still went to public and junior high school in East Flatbush/Rugby. Still riding with a free pass. Never got hassled by anyone wherever I went either. Brightliners, Electric buses on the B45, B47, B48, B65 among others, Fishbowls at ENY depot.  Bergen St Electric bus barn. I never thought of it as a hobby but I remember my older relatives stressed that you try to learn something new every day. The day you stopped learning was the day you closed your eyes for the last time. I, too,  subscribe to the " to each his own " way of thinking although lately it seems that some folks have taken the forum as a way of broadcasting their thoughts while denigrating others. I'm out here in Suffolk county now,  retired and trying to avoid coronavirus so I try to get the big picture of transportation from my fellow posters and my fellow retirees. We've been looking (I post) at the forums for quite some time and my friends are aware of the observant people, the informative people, and the folks who "know it all ". The current climate in the agency discourages employees from discussing how things are done and my fellow retirees try not to cross the line with the current employees but we're in agreement that some posters are trying to pass themselves off as more knowledgeable than others to the detriment of the NYCTF as a whole. Sometimes it's better to sit back and observe. Just my thoughts.  Carry on. 

Bklyn Bound 2 local just want to tell you a story about myself as a child ,I think I was 6 years old when I realized I love Transit buses ,trains would get excited when train passed by my window ,my brothers use to laugh at me my mom would never say anything to them when I said anything about seeing a train passing. I lived near the T and TT line which became the B line ,I was made fun by my friends as well but some took interests as well.The fact that u love transit you should never be ashamed you knew what you love like I do as well.I grew up in Marlboro Projects the train would go right by my window. I would get up in the morning and go riding on trains all day I also hung out at Ulmer Park Depot love buses as well .  Im so happy the fact that we could all talk about what we all love here it must have been very tough for you as a kid to deal with .I eventually went my own way enjoying riding buses and trains was Excited when first time I saw the R-40 slants being pulled by Diesel Engine to Coney island yard for the first time my mom was right there and she was impressed as well first time I ever saw a train like that, Loving Transit is a healthy hobby to have enjoy what you love my friend

1 hour ago, Bklyn Bound 2 Local said:

I did the same thing once in Washington DC, I found out what "Wheaton" was.

Wheaton to me was "where I ride that long ass escalator and walk three long ass blocks and I'm at my Mama's house" until she moved to Hyattsville.

Ahh man it’s cool hearing how some of y’all became transit enthusiasts. I think it all started for me when I was maybe 7 and I don’t even remember how it exactly started but I remember being so enthused by the buses in my neighborhood. Being born and raised in Queens meant that I got to see all the different bus companies like Queens Surface, Green Lines, Triboro Coach, NYCT, Long Island bus and Jamaica Bus Lines. Since most of Queens isn’t covered by the subway I didn’t get to ride the subways as much as I did with the bus. However I do remember a time when Jamaica was mostly R46s with the (E) using R32s. I do remember seeing the R38’ on the (C)  and I remember when Jamaica had the R42 back in 2008 and 2009 I think. I also remember R40 slants on the (B) and thinking that those were the weirdest looking trains ever. I really wasn’t too into trains until I got into my teens, however by then the subway had become less diversity since the R160s replaced so much of the old tech trains. Now that I think about it, I didn’t start to joy ride the subway until I was 18 and started going to Hunter. I really had no reason to travel around the city since everybody I knew was in Queens and their places were accessible by the bus. The only time I was on the train outside of Queens was if me and my mom were going somewhere or if I was with a camp group. After I started college I met people who lived all over the city and that’s when I started to joy ride the hell out of the subway. The only portion of the subway I haven’t ventured to is the (2) and (5) north of East 180th street, the (4) above Kingsbridge Rd, the (D) above Fordham Rd and the (A) past Beach 67th since that particular day I wanted to fan the Q52 before its extension to Beach 54th. 

I was always more into buses than I was with trains, but darn I miss the time where you could enter a lot of subway stations and or the bus and could get a few maps. These things are rare to come by now and it’s sad because I remember having maps for most subway lines and a lot of the Queens bus routes. I used to sit on the floor in my room with all the maps laid out and I would study them maps like I was about to take an exam. I was so mad when my mom threw away all my original bus and subway maps claiming that I didn’t need them. I had the first maps that came out for the newly formed MTA bus at the time as well as subway line schedules. Nowadays since subway schedules are so hard to come across I only have a bunch of bus schedules and only the subway system map.

My peers do not know about this hobby of mines since I always used to think that they would judge me for partaking in a hobby that most folks do not care about. I also do photography so I manage to capture a few trains here and there. After fanning most of the system I got somewhat bored which is why I usually fan buses more. I would fan the R46s on the (N) and (Q) but after riding them on the (F) and (R) for years I’m tired of them lol. I actually can’t wait for them to go and I know some of y’all will get mad but I’m sorry I’ve been riding them trains for the past 17 years. I was so happy when the (R) was made 100% R160 because it was felt like a fresh new experience riding the (R) since R160s used to pop up occasionally in the past. 

51 minutes ago, Lance said:

Is this the first weekend the Rockaway Park shuttle extension is in effect this year?

21 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

No it started back in early July once NYC beaches reopened. 

Started on the first week of July on a Friday to be exact.