SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, brakethrow said:

Is there any train operator on here who believes the 15 mph rule when bypassing a station is a fitting rule? Just curious on your perspectives on this.. What is the penalty if a TSS were to catch an operator bypassing a station wrapped up?

It’s the correct speed . The penalties are write up, suspension, demotion, and termination depending on the violator’s previous infraction record.

20 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

Why does the (A) slow down halfway entering the Junction ?

If we're talking about Broadway Junction, there's an uphill slope east of the Station going Northbound, because of that, there's a time control signal showing that trains can only go 10 MPH If I'm not mistaken. 

40 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

If we're talking about Broadway Junction, there's an uphill slope east of the Station going Northbound, because of that, there's a time control signal showing that trains can only go 10 MPH If I'm not mistaken. 

Yeah , my fault , I’m used to referring Broadway Junction as the Junction

On 8/15/2020 at 1:29 PM, bobtehpanda said:

The original, original 63 St line was actually supposed to be at 79 St (It would've gone under Broadway on the Queens side). IIRC it was a combination of geotechnical stuff and the fact that Midtown is busier that got it pushed down to 63rd.

As for 61 vs 63, my guess is that the overriding concern here is that 63 St is pretty much directly across from 41st Av in Queens, but none of the other streets south of it have corresponding Queens streets, and they probably wanted to minimize underwater tunnel length.

It was initially going to be 64th Street, but officials at the Rockefeller Institute at 64th Street feared that heavy construction and later train movements so close to the Institute's buildings might have adversely affected delicate instruments at the Institute and change the accuracy of the research being conducted.

So I'm at BG uptown side. This dude in front of me has no MetroCard, walks past the token booth over to the emergency exit hoping an exiting passenger goes through so he can fare jump.

But he sees me with my PPR out walking to the turnstile. Starts shouting "EXCUSE ME" and gesturing for a swipe.

Meanwhile, (4) train pulls in, ~5 folks get off, but no one thru the emergency exit. Dude is still yelling "EXCUSE ME" at me as I get on the train. He finally gets a swipe, but the C/R closes the doors right as he gets through the turnstile. He's mad and glaring at me as the train pulls out, and I flip him the bird.

AITA?

Edited by Deucey
J/k. We know I'm not TA.

3 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

It was initially going to be 64th Street, but officials at the Rockefeller Institute at 64th Street feared that heavy construction and later train movements so close to the Institute's buildings might have adversely affected delicate instruments at the Institute and change the accuracy of the research being conducted.

I'm referencing this, which is probably the first thought of a second cross-river IND tunnel:

1280px-1939_IND_Second_System.jpg

Just now, Lawrence St said:

Wait, wasnt the 4th Av line the one that was suppose to go to Staten Island?

A lot of lines have been "supposed" to go to Staten Island.

This would've been in the 1930s, when city policy changed from working with the private operators to "f**k them", which is why you see it as a IND line in this map.

2 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

When tokens were a thing, were there bulk discounts like the PPR discount today or was it just a per-token price?

AFAIK if a hundred tokens were bought, $15 was forked out. I was 11 years old when I bought my first token. The fare was 15 cents so I never had a need for such "high finance".

7 hours ago, Deucey said:

So I'm at BG uptown side. This dude in front of me has no MetroCard, walks past the token booth over to the emergency exit hoping an exiting passenger goes through so he can fare jump.

But he sees me with my PPR out walking to the turnstile. Starts shouting "EXCUSE ME" and gesturing for a swipe.

Meanwhile, (4) train pulls in, ~5 folks get off, but no one thru the emergency exit. Dude is still yelling "EXCUSE ME" at me as I get on the train. He finally gets a swipe, but the C/R closes the doors right as he gets through the turnstile. He's mad and glaring at me as the train pulls out, and I flip him the bird.

AITA?

It's unfortunate you got disrespected like that. He didn't even ask you? 

Sadly, there is a lot of messaging out there telling folks that the subway/bus is a "right" and not paying isn't a big deal. I've gotten glares for exiting thru the turnstile since I wasn't their ticket in. 

7 hours ago, Deucey said:

AITA?

Well let him yell, who gives a shit? I'm not obligated to pay anyone's way....

5 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

When tokens were a thing, were there bulk discounts like the PPR discount today or was it just a per-token price?

Only promotional-type thing I ever remember them doing with tokens were the ten-packs; no discount though.  I never bought more than 2-3 individual tokens at a time, anyway.

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Well let him yell, who gives a shit? I'm not obligated to pay anyone's way....

I mean, yelling at me all indignant I didn't give him $2.75 when he could've just been like Akademiks.

Edited by Deucey

15 minutes ago, Deucey said:

I mean, yelling at me all indignant I didn't give him $2.75 when he could've just been like Akademiks.

** youtube clip **

There goes my appetite :(

17 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Today at Flushing Ave on the (J) there was a crackhead injecting a needle into his arm while sitting on the steps within fare control. This was the recently reopened entrance at Flushing Ave so no fare booth there.

The last 3 times I took the (Q) to Coney Island, I've seen someone shooting up (corner of Mermaid & Stillwell, around the corner from the corner store).... Two of the times, it was the same dude.... I gotta stop getting off on the Mermaid side...

Edited by B35 via Church

9 hours ago, Deucey said:

AITA?

If he's so brazen about asking for a ride on someone's dime, I'm wondering why he didn't just hop the turnstyle in the first place. Dude has morals? lol

42 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Today at Flushing Ave on the (J) there was a crackhead injecting a needle into his arm while sitting on the steps within fare control. This was the recently reopened entrance at Flushing Ave so no fare booth there.

shit’s nasty but pretty much regular at this point 

Edited by Maxwell179

9 hours ago, Deucey said:

AITA?

I would’ve just hopped 😂