SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Calvin said:

When NYDN says this: 

The vintage cars — called R32s and nicknamed “Brightliners” — first came to New York in 1964, when Lydon B. Johnson was president. They are the oldest train sets still running in any subway system on the planet.

...but you know the Island Line on the Isle of Wight is using British Rail Class 483 trains that were first built as the London Underground's 1938 Stock...

Edited by Deucey

17 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Did anyone else see the Newsday article today about (MTA) service cuts and overtime reductions? I realize that Newsday is considered to be a LI paper but the gist of it is across the board cuts and reductions. Interesting article. Carry on.

I didn't, but I'm not surprised.

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Did anyone else see the Newsday article today about (MTA) service cuts and overtime reductions? I realize that Newsday is considered to be a LI paper but the gist of it is across the board cuts and reductions. Interesting article. Carry on.

Do you have a link? I couldn't find it before hitting a paywall lol

12 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

in all honesty, renaming both of these stations is bound to cause more confusion. they seriously aren't fine by simply renaming Franklin and keeping it at that? i know that the decision lies in the hands of those pesky lawmakers...but still...

Exactly.  It shows a lot of poor decision making process in Albany.  Its also likely that the Senator and Assemblymember who sponsored the bill did not have thorough conversations with the right people at MTA.  Someone should have mentioned how confusing it would be to have two stations in a row with the same name.

The fact that it got passed once proposed is not surprising, as these seemingly local gestures are routinely passed with near unanimity.  It's probably viewed in the same context as renaming a post office at the federal level -- if Cong. A wants to rename the PO after a local veteran, why would anyone else object?  Especially in today's climate anybody else in the legislature who would say, it's a bad idea to rename two stations in a row for MEC would be seen negatively, even though the point is sound.

Edited by mrsman
more to add

On 6/29/2020 at 12:17 PM, vioreen said:

Am advocating for transit (MTA) to renovate stations like Flushing Main street and World trade center and add ventilations because some stations are scorching hot. 

It’s not necessary at Flushing Main Street because 95% of the time there is a (7) train already in the station so you just wait inside the train until it leaves the station. 

I would use the money to renovate stations that really need it like perhaps 63rd street-Rego Park, Parsons Blvd/Hillside Ave, and basically most other stations on the Queens Blvd line. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It’s not necessary at Flushing Main Street because 95% of the time there is a (7) train already in the station so you just wait inside the train until it leaves the station. 

I would use the money to renovate stations that really need it like perhaps 63rd street-Rego Park, Parsons Blvd/Hillside Ave, and basically most other stations on the Queens Blvd line. 

On 6/29/2020 at 12:17 PM, vioreen said:

Am advocating for transit (MTA) to renovate stations like Flushing Main street and World trade center and add ventilations because some stations are scorching hot. 

If any station needs a renovation for AC, it’s West 4th Street. 

On a similar note, have they ever considered a turnstyle- like complex at any other stations? West 4th seems highly trafficked enough that it could sustain commercial businesses in its empty mezzanine.

2 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

On a similar note, have they ever considered a turnstyle- like complex at any other stations? West 4th seems highly trafficked enough that it could sustain commercial businesses in its empty mezzanine.

42nd Street on the (A)(C)(E).

5 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I think the IND mezzanine at Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av-74 St (E)(F)(M)(R)(7) has this setup.

Edited by MeeP15-9112
specificity

3 hours ago, Kriston Lewis said:

The MTA has been updating the list of stops for each line that they have on their website.

This list makes the (4) seem so short..... Anyway, something like this is good... As petty as it may sound to some, waiting on a side platform vs. an island platform makes a difference to some riders (kind of like walking over a bridge where the guard fence is at least shoulder high, compared to waist high) from a safety/sense-of-comfort standpoint....

SCT does something similar with its bus routes (NB S1 example)

16 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Quite similar to this old feature, though not nearly as descriptive. 

Seems they're going to keep that going on the new site. I hope eventually they'll do something similar to the CTA where there's a detailed page or info for each stop. Like where to find a staffed token booth for example.

Edited by Kriston Lewis
Added example CTA station page.

40 minutes ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

With the R42s going into refuse service, is it possible that the R33WFs used in B Division refuse service be retired? Or will they be sent back to A Division?

They may want to keep A- and B-division compatible cars in the refuse fleet. The R127s/R134s are great for the winter (powerful heat, large crew space with tables) but lousy for the summer (no AC). The R42s may only be doing summer service – hard to say at this point.