SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

18 hours ago, Storm said:

Lol I think the person that made this position doesn't know:

1. Kawasaki has already started making the R211's and if they scrap everything, that would be a few month's work down the drain

2. It would take an additional few years to design the new cars, which will push back the R211 and the r262 order back a few years. 

3. The R46's are suffering enough. The ones in coney Island are about to die. My prediction is those things will last until 2025.

4. Which brings me to my next question:

I personally think that the base should go to C.I because those ones are being overworked. I understand that they're meant for 8th Ave, but the C.I lines are gonna be in serious car debt soon.

This is true, but they're better off receiving R160s, why? Cause Sea Beach, 4th Avenue, Crosstown, and Brighton CBTC aren't coming no time soon, but the next line to get CBTC is 8th Avenue, so the newest trains running with the newest CBTC system, kinda goes good for one another.

Edited by R68ACTrain

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Calvin said:

The R46s that are on the (N)(Q) and (W) lines, so far: C.I have been getting them washed top, side and bottom like on a weekly basics. Outside looks almost brand new. 

On the other hand, the Jamaica R160s in observation have a lot of steel dust on some cars, not all though. 

Coney Island is just starting to take care of them, but these R46s should be really displaced by R160s. My take

47 minutes ago, R68ACTrain said:

This is true, but they're better off receiving R160s, why? Cause Sea Beach, 4th Avenue, Crosstown, and Brighton CBTC aren't coming no time soon, but the next line to get CBTC is 8th Avenue, so the newest trains running with the newest CBTC system, kinda goes good for one another.

Jamaica aren't about to fork over 440 R160's. 

So..... some interesting things happened today on the Southern Division.

R68 2874 (CI set) had a original 1980s rollsign with standard Q diamond and JFK express.

And while it was in service today on the Q (with people trying to take photos of it because its not everyday you stumble upon a original R68 rollsign), someone stole to rollsign clean off of 2874.

So there goes one original R68 end rollsign out of the handful that remain. 

Edited by MeeP15-9112

41 minutes ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

R68 2874 (CI set) had a original 1980s rollsign with standard Q diamond and JFK express.

And while it was in service today on the Q (with people trying to take photos of it because its not everyday you stumble upon a original R68 rollsign), someone stole to rollsign clean off of 2874.

Update: There could be a chance the roll wasnt taken but merely scrolled all of the way to the white sides

57 minutes ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

15 minutes ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

Update: There could be a chance the roll wasnt taken but merely scrolled all of the way to the white sides

Either way, this is why I’d rather have electronic destination signage instead of rolls - those hex key ports are too easy for motivated people to mess with.

6 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Either way, this is why I’d rather have electronic destination signage instead of rolls - those hex key ports are too easy for motivated people to mess with.

Yeah, I don't see people walking off with the electronic signs...

...but then again, Life, uh, finds a way.

fdc6105ea7dcc5cc81ffe4707800efe2.jpg

6 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

The motivated will always find a way. But put in a proprietary system that makes it not work if it’s not getting a specific signal from the train (forgot what it’s called, but it’d be comparable to car stereo faceplates not working with other same model head units) and the financial motivation goes down vs getting a roll sign with JFK Express and <Q> and (orangeQ) on it.

Noticed a couple of erros in the Brooklyn neighborhood maps page:

https://new.mta.info/maps/subway/mta-neighborhood-maps/brooklyn

- Metropolitan Avenue on the (G) is listed...but as Metropolitan Avenue (M) . There is actually no link Middle Village-Metropolitan Avenue.

- Greenpoint Avenue is listed as a stop on the (M) .

7 hours ago, 40MntVrn said:

NYCT is soliciting public comment on how we describe a trains direction and destination.

Thought I'd share.

I just went through that.

really hate the part after they ask you to describe how the sample trains run. The directional ones only fit under certain circumstances (north and south only work if there's more of an overall skew that suits them, which is constant for the (2) and (5) but not the (3) or (A)), and the ones for the termini may be split (the (3) is the worst offender with a name that starts with a neighborhood that it's already been serving and a street name that doesn't even apply to either street the terminus actually touches).

8 hours ago, Lex said:

I just went through that.

really hate the part after they ask you to describe how the sample trains run. The directional ones only fit under certain circumstances (north and south only work if there's more of an overall skew that suits them, which is constant for the (2) and (5) but not the (3) or (A)), and the ones for the termini may be split (the (3) is the worst offender with a name that starts with a neighborhood that it's already been serving and a street name that doesn't even apply to either street the terminus actually touches).

I found myself just using the terminology they used fifty or sixty years ago, which was correct then and doesn't need to be fixed. When it's in the borough, you say the destination (Harlem, Far Rockaway, Coney Island); when it's out of the borough, you say the borough as the destination and the cardinal direction (Northbound) as the direction of travel.

14 hours ago, Deucey said:
14 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

The motivated will always find a way. But put in a proprietary system that makes it not work if it’s not getting a specific signal from the train (forgot what it’s called, but it’d be comparable to car stereo faceplates not working with other same model head units) and the financial motivation goes down vs getting a roll sign with JFK Express and <Q> and (orangeQ) on it.

DRM FTW

15 hours ago, Deucey said:

And then we wind up with something like the signals where decades after the lifespan the MTA is custom-building parts because the original manufacturer either doesn't give a shit or doesn't exist.

It would never happen here, but there is a reason why European rolling stock gets procured with maintenance contracts these days as well.

4 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

I found myself just using the terminology they used fifty or sixty years ago, which was correct then and doesn't need to be fixed. When it's in the borough, you say the destination (Harlem, Far Rockaway, Coney Island); when it's out of the borough, you say the borough as the destination and the cardinal direction (Northbound) as the direction of travel.

I don't particularly like relying on this. Not only is it meaningless to a good part of the population (some lack a sense of direction), but depending on exactly how the labels are used, they could be rendered meaningless for either a good stretch or the entirety of a route purely by skew. The rest of it, however, is fine.

3 hours ago, Deucey said:

This wasn’t DRM. This was like having a Sony Xplod deck but not being able to put your faceplate on another Xplod deck because the  new deck wouldn’t recognize it.

I mean, that's one way to use DRM. (Expired printer cartridges, anyone?)

6 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

I always thought the tradition was if a train is in an outer borough and heading towards Manhattan you'd say "This is a Manhattan-bound ____ train" and if heading outbound or already in Manhattan it's the actual destination that's used. Plus, I think words like "Uptown" and "Downtown" would be a better fit.