SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

13 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

The (B) uses about 25 trainsets with the (D) using 29 trainsets. That's 540 cars all together. There's 630 R160A-2's all together. Concourse would have a 90 car spare factor. And with CBTC, it would require a higher spare factor anyway. This would be for fleet uniformity as much as I would rather the (D) get the 405 R211's while the (B) could have all the 260 Siemens R160's with a set or two of R211's.

But isn’t going 8th CBTC different from QB CBTC ? On one of these thread , can’t remember 8th Ave is going to only work with the R211 & R179 that why Jamaica is getting them to for (E) and possible (F) because the (F) is always rerouted on 8th Ave. So it make sense to give R211 to Concourse

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, R179 8258 said:

But isn’t going 8th CBTC different from QB CBTC ? On one of these thread , can’t remember 8th Ave is going to only work with the R211 & R179 that why Jamaica is getting them to for (E) and possible (F) because the (F) is always rerouted on 8th Ave. So it make sense to give R211 to Concourse

The R160's CBTC has to be compatible with other trunk lines for future CBTC regardless of the CBTC vendor or type. Same goes for the R179's and R211's. That would defeat the purpose to just have them tied to Queens blvd since it uses 4 different lines which 3 of them would have CBTC in the future (8th ave,6th ave and Crosstown).  The only exception is R160's (8313-8376) which are tied to the (L) and 9943-74 which i think aren't installed with CBTC yet.

4 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I heard something like an old SMEE at Rockefeller a few hours ago and you could basically smell the R9's even though they left.

The holiday train is coming back!

Someone posted a FB video of it being moved. I don't know how likely it is for being used for any excursions.

3 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Someone posted a FB video of it being moved. I don't know how likely it is for being used for any excursions.

It was testing on the flats to train new T/Os, so it’s possible they may return next month.

Interesting that the Arines might be the first post covid "fantrip" rather than a R32 final trip. If the holiday train is indeed coming back looks like fanners are gonna be bugging the NYCT twitter account asking about a final R32 run😄

My guess is they will be using the Arines for movie shoots and that's why they are training T/Os on those cars.

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Interesting that the Arines might be the first post covid "fantrip" rather than a R32 final trip. If the holiday train is indeed coming back looks like fanners are gonna be bugging the NYCT twitter account asking about a final R32 run😄

My guess is they will be using the Arines for movie shoots and that's why they are training T/Os on those cars.

R32's aren't officially retired yet

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't count on fantrips coming back anytime soon.  Not as long as all the current restrictions on everything remain in place.

Fan trips wouldn't be a problem since they can limit who could come on those trips but running the holiday train is a very bad idea at this time since it would be packed to the brim. Plus they will have mask enforcement which some people would not comply.

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Fan trips wouldn't be a problem since they can limit who could come on those trips but running the holiday train is a very bad idea at this time since it would be packed to the brim. Plus they will have mask enforcement which some people would not comply.

In a few years, the Holiday train will ONLY be able to run from Whitehall St to 96 St-2 Av because all other midtown lines will have some CBTC territory, unless the holiday train is retrofitted 

Edited by darkstar8983

8 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't count on fantrips coming back anytime soon.  Not as long as all the current restrictions on everything remain in place.

The only way trips can come back is if they distribute the dates online with RSVP (reserve your time slot and date) with the usual mask enforcement. Limits number of people on-board and with proof of vaccination. That's just if it'll happen. 

8 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I heard they are not even training new hires on the R32s, I'm pretty sure they are officially retired. Only way I see them coming back is if the R179s need to be sidelined again, which is at this point is highly unlikely as the 179s are doing well.

And yea the Holiday train is chaotic and very busy I doubt the crew would want to bother with asking people to put on their mask.

Simply put, the trips aren't happening until the dust settles from the ongoing situation.  They're not bringing anything back until they get the free-and-clear from the politicians in DC and/or Albany.  Read any newspaper and you'll see that public officials are in no rush to relax coronavirus restrictions anytime soon. 

Edited by R10 2952

Today I was on an (4) that went on an skip from Borough Hall to Brooklyn Bridge... someone was trespassing in the tunnel which caused major delays on the Brooklyn IRT.

Cops was walking though my train, some with flashlights looking out the window for the person. At first I thought it was an 12-9 and they was looking for the body before the C/R informed us of what was happening.

The 7th Ave bound track had its power cut while the Lex Ave line track kept its power on the entire time. They eventually found the person BTW, I assume they got arrested.

Edited by trainfan22

14 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Today I was on an (4) that went on an skip from Borough Hall to Brooklyn Bridge... someone was trespassing in the tunnel which caused major delays on the Brooklyn IRT.

Cops was walking though my train, some with flashlights looking out the window for the person. At first I thought it was an 12-9 and they was looking for the body before the C/R informed us of what was happening.

The 7th Ave bound track had its power cut while the Lex Ave line track kept its power on the entire time. They eventually found the person BTW, I assume they got arrested.

Back in the day if you wasnt a robbery murder etc suspect being chased into the subway...The cops will let the train find you...:lol:

17 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I’m trying to make sense of what actually happened here. If someone saw the perp enter a tunnel, either one, then power would be removed from that tunnel and not affect the other one. If it was a 12-9 situation the train would have been discharged and running light through the tunnel. Flashlights shining on the benchwall serve no purpose in a 12-9 which means, literally, a person under a train. I’m guessing that your train got a battery run because northbound trains were backed up in Brooklyn and they probably needed to send some (2) trains via Alex. My take. Carry on.

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I’m trying to make sense of what actually happened here. If someone saw the perp enter a tunnel, either one, then power would be removed from that tunnel and not affect the other one. If it was a 12-9 situation the train would have been discharged and running light through the tunnel. Flashlights shining on the benchwall serve no purpose in a 12-9 which means, literally, a person under a train. I’m guessing that your train got a battery run because northbound trains were backed up in Brooklyn and they probably needed to send some (2) trains via Alex. My take. Carry on.

Via Lexington 

Seems that recently Jamaica Yard with their R160s (including ex. C.I units) and R188s w/ R142As on the (4)(7) are adding more LCD ad screens to the interior of their cars. I wonder if this is their way to save paper in the system.  

Edited by Calvin

26 minutes ago, R179 8258 said:

With the (G) headed to Jamaica, does Coney Island spare factor increase ? 

It decreases (-90 cars) from its total pool. However, (N)(W)(Q)(B) total stays the same. (N)(W) has 33 trains and (Q) with 21 on the road, (B) is 25. Spares of the R46 is on number of 6 and R68 and R68A is 4 each.  

On 11/12/2021 at 9:47 PM, Calvin said:

Seems that recently Jamaica Yard with their R160s (including ex. C.I units) and R188s w/ R142As on the (4)(7) are adding more LCD ad screens to the interior of their cars. I wonder if this is their way to save paper in the system.  

Yes, I hope that is the case.

On 11/4/2021 at 7:04 PM, R32 3838 said:

The (B) uses about 25 trainsets with the (D) using 29 trainsets. That's 540 cars all together. There's 630 R160A-2's all together. Concourse would have a 90 car spare factor. And with CBTC, it would require a higher spare factor anyway. This would be for fleet uniformity as much as I would rather the (D) get the 405 R211's while the (B) could have all the 260 Siemens R160's with a set or two of R211's.

Either way it's stated by a D train operator I've talked to that Concourse is going to be fully R211A's. No R160's were planned to be in touched with Concourse yard. Even they can send spare 90 cars more like you said. Taking R160s out of Jamaica for (B) service when it's supposed to be assigned fully R211 doesn't make any sense.

14 minutes ago, Jacob said:

Either way it's stated by a D train operator I've talked to that Concourse is going to be fully R211A's. No R160's were planned to be in touched with Concourse yard. Even they can send spare 90 cars more like you said. Taking R160s out of Jamaica for (B) service when it's supposed to be assigned fully R211 doesn't make any sense.

A Train operator is not a good source, Things can change at any moment. Jamaica is losing about 40% of their R160's. Those have to go somewhere. CI could still keep the (B). It going to concourse is just a rumor. A train operator told me in 2008 that Jamaica was getting R38's even though they never got them back (Jamaica had R38's from 1966-1972 or later) .