SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get you. And maybe they should stop using the absolute worst contractors around.

Yeah, building cheap ends up being more expensive long run to fix the damages due to cutting corners. If it's going to be expensive, then do it right the first time and be done with it.

I do get the point. At some points, they could do better. But don't forget that the also has a hard job these days. They're getting less money from the governor, have a lot of debts and still they need to keep the system running at all cost. Less money shoven in+debs to pay+keeping everything running+extending the system (like 2nd Ave and LIRR to GCT for example) = very expensive. Be glad that they even renovate the stations. For all we know, the could be declared bankrupt any day.

So while they can perform better at some points, I do also feel the pain from their side. It's not easy for 'em.

Costs going up and they sink further into debt. The bonds they sell to keep up the spending are worthless. But as for going bankrupt, as a government agency, the state will keep it around because no trains/buses = shut down of the economy. I could see some bus lines disappearing to cut costs and taken over by private companies, but that's pretty much it. They can't sell off any of the subway lines. Edited by Grand Concourse

Roosevelt Avenue is even worse...

I know I come off as a foamer, but I am a huge stickler when it comes to history and what things looked like when they were new. Unless the old signs were absolutely confusing or there were none, there's no reason to deviate from the old style... just look at it.

img_130596.jpg

I agree the font looks tacky and cheap....I was so sad to see them scrapping off the old mosaics on the IRT Dyckman street station...now watch them put something that doesn't even look half as good.

I agree the font looks tacky and cheap....I was so sad to see them scrapping off the old mosaics on the IRT Dyckman street station...now watch them put something that doesn't even look half as good.

I'd much rather a clean station that is simple than a fancy one that is filthy... That station looks like a sewer...

Yeah, building cheap ends up being more expensive long run to fix the damages due to cutting corners. If it's going to be expensive, then do it right the first time and be done with it.Costs going up and they sink further into debt. The bonds they sell to keep up the spending are worthless. But as for going bankrupt, as a government agency, the state will keep it around because no trains/buses = shut down of the economy. I could see some bus lines disappearing to cut costs and taken over by private companies, but that's pretty much it. They can't sell off any of the subway lines.

You betcha. I can name some examples of transit companies that were sold off by governments to private companies. It IS always possible. I don't say it's smart, but it can happen. Especially if, like KeystoneRegional says: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34805-best-article-ive-read-about-reactivating-the-rockaway-beach-line/page__st__240?do=findComment&comment=537764 , the current governor doesn't even care about public transit. If he doesn't care while the (MTA) already has a hard time, than I'm not too optimistic about the future of the (MTA).

Edited by Vistausss

So I took the (D) Concourse Express to Norwood, and it turns out that all trains were stopping at 161 St... Why does the (D) have to stop there when the (B) trains are supposed to stop at all the local stops on the Concourse corridor? Really pointless. I'm lucky that this nonsense doesn't happen in the morning, but if it happens, I'll take the (5) instead.

So I took the (D) Concourse Express to Norwood, and it turns out that all trains were stopping at 161 St... Why does the (D) have to stop there when the (B) trains are supposed to stop at all the local stops on the Concourse corridor? Really pointless. I'm lucky that this nonsense doesn't happen in the morning, but if it happens, I'll take the (5) instead.

It's not supposed too..

I was on an R32 (C) the other day, and the conductor seemed to have trouble with the doors as they didn't open for five minutes, and then as a I left he was trying to close them. I don't know what was up, but I wasn't getting stranded on no 50 year old train...

Rode the (A) on a whim from Far Rock to Chambers last Friday... at Mott Avenue, there was this cable over one of the tracks so the R46 there had to stop about five feet back from the bumper block. When I got on the train, the ride wasn't too bad for a 35 year old subway car but there was this weird squeaking noise which came every 20 seconds or so. The C/R was making clear announcements but half the train didn't have a working PA system, and the car I was in had a speaker that worked all of once, before we went underground on the Fulton. A beggar started walking around claiming how it was so hard, and reciting various denominations of money, and at the next station (Euclid) I ran into the next car, which turned out to be the C/R's car. Sad thing was, I still couldn't hear him...

If it's just a door, no need to make a big deal about it. It's not like door problems are on just the R32s.

No, seriously, the doors were not opening. I could have been stranded on that train.

Rode the (A) on a whim from Far Rock to Chambers last Friday... at Mott Avenue, there was this cable over one of the tracks so the R46 there had to stop about five feet back from the bumper block. When I got on the train, the ride wasn't too bad for a 35 year old subway car but there was this weird squeaking noise which came every 20 seconds or so. The C/R was making clear announcements but half the train didn't have a working PA system, and the car I was in had a speaker that worked all of once, before we went underground on the Fulton. A beggar started walking around claiming how it was so hard, and reciting various denominations of money, and at the next station (Euclid) I ran into the next car, which turned out to be the C/R's car. Sad thing was, I still couldn't hear him...

What do you expect from a car that's going to S.I. in a few years?

lol....

Wow, you really are from Long Island lol.

Other than the cable on the track issue, everything else is something many subway riders have to deal with on a daily basis.

Northbound (D) expresses stop at 161 and 167 pre-Yankee games, then resume express service after 167. No, there's too much service on the CPW corridor for them to enter on the local track at 145 and stop at 155 too.

I still question why the IND built that station as just a local only stop. Even if it wasn't the Yankees playing above, it should've been an express station because it is the last Bronx station before going into Manhattan. Basically they could've used that station as a terminal if there's something wrong on either end of the line around that point.

No, seriously, the doors were not opening. I could have been stranded on that train.

What do you expect from a car that's going to S.I. in a few years?

Was it just your car or the whole train? I still say it can happen to any train. At least with 60' car trains the storm doors are unlocked so if the doors of one car can't open you can move to the next car. Obviously don't cross b/w cars unless you must in case there's an undercover cop.

Audio problems on the R46, well I guess they would be fixed up before being sent down to SI. Again, not the end of the world.

Last saturday while trying to get into manhattan, I was taking an (R) to Roosevelt where I could transfer to the (F) to get to 23 St. While arriving at Grand Av, an R46 (F) going to manhattan passes me. I would have kept up with it, thing is some a**hole @ Elmhurst was holding the door for a good minute, and then as soon as I got to Roosevelt Av that R46 (F) departed. Not only was I pissed that I had missed an R46 on the (F) which is hard to catch anyway, but I actually needed an (F) at that time! (usually I need an (E) ). If only I could find that passenger who delayed the train @ Elmhurst... <_<

Was it just your car or the whole train? I still say it can happen to any train. At least with 60' car trains the storm doors are unlocked so if the doors of one car can't open you can move to the next car. Obviously don't cross b/w cars unless you must in case there's an undercover cop.

Audio problems on the R46, well I guess they would be fixed up before being sent down to SI. Again, not the end of the world.

The whole train was shut.