SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are working on the Queens bound (G) track between Hoyt and Bergen

Most weeknights until the end of June, mind you.

Speaking of endless GO's, what are they doing when the (7) is single tracking at Hunters Point and Vernon-Jackson overnight? That late night service pattern has been going on for about a couple of years non-stop now with no end in sight (I kid you not, when you look it up, it really does say "until further notice")...

Edited by paulrivera

Most weeknights until the end of June, mind you.

Speaking of endless GO's, what are they doing when the (7) is single tracking at Hunters Point and Vernon-Jackson overnight? That late night service pattern has been going on for about a couple of years non-stop now with no end in sight (I kid you not, when you look it up, it really does say "until further notice")...

I don't know for certain, but this is almost assuredly CBTC related work, which might include work on the interlockings. Do they single track all the way through the tube?

So from what I hear this summer the (R) will be split into two sections, between Forest Hills and Whitehall St, and Jay Street to 95 Street. There is a rumor going on that the southern portion MIGHT use CI equipment, though remember that it is a rumor.

So from what I hear this summer the (R) will be split into two sections, between Forest Hills and Whitehall St, and Jay Street to 95 Street. There is a rumor going on that the southern portion MIGHT use CI equipment, though remember that it is a rumor.

Wonder if this splitting is for finishing the repairs in the Montague tunnels due to Sandy.

Thats a full time thing? Or only at certain times?

Guest Lance

Do the (2) and (5) run express overnight since they're running on the other's corridor?

Depends on which line they're running on. For the 5, whichever direction it's running down 7th Avenue, it will make all 2-line local stops. On the return trip, it will run express via Lexington Avenue. The 2 trains usually run express on Lexington Avenue unless otherwise stated.

That's interesting. I'm surprised they wouldn't run the R full-length via bridge and have some kind of whitehall-canal shuttle. I guess that would cause capacity problems on the Manny B? 

Well - for me in queens, this will probably result in better R service. Lets hope they don't super-stack the GO's, because getting to-fro brooklyn is a pain for me when both the R and the G are borked. 

Wonder if this splitting is for finishing the repairs in the Montague tunnels due to Sandy.

Considering the multiple "signal problems" in Montague every week, it almost assuredly is for exactly this. 

Would make sense to use CI equipment for a 95-Jay shuttle.

I find it really annoying when people refer to lines as the 6 line, Q line etc.. Those are really routes running on various lines e.g. Pelham, Brighton etc. They can say the Q train but not the Q line. The MTA shouldn't even say that. It actually maters. It's really stupid to say "M trains are running on the F line".The correct thing to say would be that "M trains are running via 53rd Street", or "no M trains at these stations".

Edited by 6 Lexington Ave

It's much easier to convey the average passengers by saying (Q) line or (C) line than it is to say "BMT Brighton Line" or "IND Fulton Street Line". It's to make certain things as easy to comprehend as possible. The average customer could hardly care nor remember the name of the corridors that the routes/services run on. All they care about easily is the designation route/service bullet, knowing where they go to and serve.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

The average commuter doesn't even say Brighton line or Culver line...to my knowledge at least.

---------------------

So everyone morning I see a set of R160's in the middle track of Whitehall Street, is that a supplement (R) or is that like a morning (N) or (Q)?

I find it really annoying when people refer to lines as the 6 line, Q line etc.. Those are really routes running on various lines e.g. Pelham, Brighton etc. They can say the Q train but not the Q line. The MTA shouldn't even say that. It actually maters. It's really stupid to say "M trains are running on the F line".The correct thing to say would be that "M trains are running via 53rd Street", or "no M trains at these stations".

not everyone knows every part of the system like we do. At least it's not like the person is calling it the 'green' or the 'yellow' line like i heard some people call them while at gct Saturday.

Looks like MTA has changed the way the (5) runs during GOs where it is extended overnight (unless SubwayTime is wrong). MTA no longer extends all (5) trains below E 180 St that happen before and after the GO. The Dyre Avenue shuttle runs for a bit before the GO extending (5) service begins. Same thing in the early morning after the GO ends, some (5) trains run as Dyre Avenue shuttles instead of MTA trying to maintain a 20-23 minute headway between E 180 St and Bowling Green.  How much money is being saved by stopping service for 40-60 minutes (two different times) and restarting it again instead of running it the whole night like before?

I'll rather hear "green line" or "yellow line" over of the "456" or "NQR".  They might be from another city and their routes go by color.

The train at Whitehall middle every mornings is a "bridge" train so customers can go to the southbound platform to exit since the escalator on the north end of the northbound platform is being replaced.