SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know the R46's had a (P) train on their program:

23.jpg

But I'm even more confused by this sign. A (4) train sign at Rockaway Parkway?

24.jpg

Probably that is an indication for if the train has 4 cars they should stop there. I haven't seen that indication before.

Well now everything is 160s.All ten (R) trains I saw this weekend were 160s,not a single 46

There was at least 1 R46 on the R. I saw one leave at the 'pacific st' platform before an R160 R came in.

For whatever reason the last dozen or so times I've taken the F, I've gotten an R46 more than half the time. Lot of luck. Many more R46s just went to the F, so it should be common now.

Yesterday, I was on the F from Smith 9th to CI, I saw 1 R46, but most were still R160s. I did see another r46 from the ground, so that'd be 2.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Is it Just me , or is the MTA Starting to Lose Its Ridership?

Example: Montage Tubes Closed , MTA Loses Ridership On (R) and get more Ridership on Buses which causes long wait times , crowded buses and well I think you all get the idea...

Subway ridership has been growing by leaps and bounds in recent years, partly offset by a steady (but smaller) decline in bus ridership.

Well now everything is 160s.All ten (R) trains I saw this weekend were 160s,not a single 46

I rode two R46 R's yesterday.

Why are there (G) conductor boards at 179th? Did it once go there?

The (G) went there from 1990 to 1997 b/c the (F) terminated at Queensbridge late nights. The (F) went back to Jamaica due to construction on the 63 St connector, and the (G) terminated at Court Sq.

Edited by IRT Bronx Express

@Vistausss: Your pics aren't showing.

I wanted to post this yesterday to coincide with the first day of the split (R) service. That obviously didn't happen, now did it?

Subway Line Maps (8/2013 edition)

If you quote his pictures you can see them.

Lance, you forgot to change the note at Aqueduct Racetrack to saying that the A goes there at all times.

@Vistausss: Your pics aren't showing.

I wanted to post this yesterday to coincide with the first day of the split (R) service. That obviously didn't happen, now did it?

Subway Line Maps (8/2013 edition)

If you quote his pictures you can see them.

Lance, you forgot to change the note at Aqueduct Racetrack to saying that the A goes there at all times.

While you're at it you have to update your map to include the new shrimp routes :P - The B84 (at New Lots Av (3)(4)) and Bx46 (at Prospect Av (2)(5) and Longwood Av (6)

Edited by Mysterious2train

Guest Lance

@MHV: You can complain until the cows come home, but the likelihood they'll change it is somewhere between fat chance and not happening. If they haven't fixed that error on the E at Grand Av-Newtown (pronounced as Newton) in the five or so years the 160s have been on the line, they surely aren't going to do anything about Broadway-Lafayette St.

@Union Tpke, Mysterious2train: Thanks for the feedback. I'll fix those errors sometime soon, hopefully before September when the Q70 replaces the Q33 bus to LGA.

@Union Tpke: Thanks for the tip for the pictures. I forgot how annoying that old site could get sometimes.

@Vistausss: After actually seeing the picture (the 46 one that is), it's not an option for any P route; it's the normal R route with a somewhat broken LCD matrix.

Edited by Lance

Proof that all things come to you when you don't wait for them. The two F trains I took today were R46s and the R train an R160, while over the past days all but two of my C trains have been R160s and all my J trains R32s/R42s.

same with me and the buses. 317 years ago on the b11, 915 on the b9, 9644 on the b41... Never needed to wait more than a regular wait for the bus. Just keep a pocket cam ready at all times in case.

Posted this in the Art and Design forum, thought it was relevant to here as well. A lot of you may know this, but if not:

The MTA used one font for decades: Akzidenz-Grotesk BQ Medium. It's relatively distinctive looking, and a bunch of signs still have it today. They switched to Helvetica in 1988, and they haven't gone back since. What's interesting is that many of the trains overhauled around that time were never given Helvetica rollsigns, and that results in some relatively funky lettering that still exists today. Try, for instance, the "Half-J" which appears on a few R42s that still have rollsigns in Akzidenz-Grotesk. Looks a little weird when you're used to Helvetica signage: here's what I'm talking about...

Akzidenz:      

ScreenShot2013-08-07at33320AM_zps0f57dfe

Helvetica:

ScreenShot2013-08-07at33411AM_zpsc6cae97

Probably about a third of the remaining R42s have rollsigns with the Half-J, always cool to catch. 

Posted this in the Art and Design forum, thought it was relevant to here as well. A lot of you may know this, but if not:

The MTA used one font for decades: Akzidenz-Grotesk BQ Medium. It's relatively distinctive looking, and a bunch of signs still have it today. They switched to Helvetica in 1988, and they haven't gone back since. What's interesting is that many of the trains overhauled around that time were never given Helvetica rollsigns, and that results in some relatively funky lettering that still exists today. Try, for instance, the "Half-J" which appears on a few R42s that still have rollsigns in Akzidenz-Grotesk. Looks a little weird when you're used to Helvetica signage: here's what I'm talking about...

Akzidenz:      

ScreenShot2013-08-07at33320AM_zps0f57dfe

Helvetica:

ScreenShot2013-08-07at33411AM_zpsc6cae97

Probably about a third of the remaining R42s have rollsigns with the Half-J, always cool to catch. 

You know, I never really noticed that until now. I'm sure many other riders feel the same, as usually it's just a get up and go type of thing. Thanks for pointing that out.