SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

How is the (7)'s R62As gonna get to the (6)? There is absolutely no connection to other lines (besides to the northbound (N) line at Queensboro), hence the fact that it was chosen for CBTC. Are they gonna be taken off the tracks at Corona, then shipped to Westchester where they get rerailed?

Again, track maps are very useful. Learn to look up the simple things first.

Spoiler: all subway tracks are connected somehow except for the Staten Island Railway.

Edited by CenSin

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mta dide. taking the r 62 from the corona to westchester was mention serval times here in this blog. They cross over to (N) to Atlantic Ave i believed. Switch to Manhattan then run it on 6 ave to Concourse yard then switch over to the 4 line and then down to 125 street. i believed then over to westchester yard. This is what i believed if i am correct. it was several pages ago. 

mta dide. taking the r 62 from the corona to westchester was mention serval times here in this blog. They cross over to (N) to Atlantic Ave i believed. Switch to Manhattan then run it on 6 ave to Concourse yard then switch over to the 4 line and then down to 125 street. i believed then over to westchester yard. This is what i believed if i am correct. it was several pages ago. 

He didn't have to look several pages ago. This is pretty much standard knowledge for subway discussions as much as multiplication is standard for attending the third grade.

I was at the Skyview Center today.. and I saw that set. Here's some updates on RFW business:

-One week ago today, #2116 was facing Manhattan bound, and I managed to get an exp RFW. 

If you haven't seen the video, here is the video: 

As of today, they have re-coupled that set, and #2116 is now coupled to the single car between the two 5 car sets. I did not take note of 2120, if it had an RFW or not.

-The car with #1960 has the old way of coupling. The 5 car set to Manhattan, and then 6 singles. I assume that it would be changed soon, though.

-What I've been told and seen is that #1996 Manhattan bound has an RFW, I don't know if anyone can confirm this, but it should have an RFW. 

Some R188 business:

-Something is spreading around that the R142A conversion sets aren't able to run due to third rail problems. I highly doubt this is true, and if it is I would like confirmation from someone from the (MTA).

-They have finally fixed the blacked out signs on R188 set 7844-7854, and I'm glad they did.

-I haven't been seeing 7833-7843 (set with a lot of vandalism) out yet. Maybe they're cleaning it up....

R62A (6) business:

-People are saying that Pelham Bay Park, Parkchester, and Upper East Side people are complaining a lot about them... The bronx section complaining about incorrect rollsigns, and the people on the UES just straight up saying they "deserve new trains." Just to give my two cents..... The people from the UES need to f*** off if that's their complaint. Just because you're wealthy doesn't mean you get what you want. The people from Pelham Bay/Parkchester I understand, because it can be rather confusing w/ those rollsigns. But on the UES, you realize that westchester would rather take care of R62A (again probably a rumor), and that if you do get your NTT's than they'd probably be in the worst condition ever. 

-Someone has also said that an R142 set is on the (6)..... 

-76xx sets from the (6) are going to the (4).

I think there would be a lot of action on the IRT in the near future...(and by that I mean in the next few months)

Nope no R142s on the (6) , as for the 76xx R142A's going to the (4) according to my sources (no names to be mentioned ) it's true due to the fact that westchester yard don't want them anymore since they dont want to maintain them anymore and prefer to maintain just the R62As..... as for UES riders who cares what they want they pay 2.50 like everyone else , them complaining won't change the fact that the R62As are staying on the (6) , a train is train , its supposed to get em from point A to Point B period , if they want Ntts take the (4) or (5) if not then take the bus or drive into manhattan. As for Bronx riders , they should start setting Certain R62A's just for Parkchester and for Pelham Bay Pk to avoid the Confusion.

Edited by R62AR33

Again, track maps are very useful. Learn to look up the simple things first.

Spoiler: all subway tracks are connected somehow except for the Staten Island Railway.

Exactly

Lot of switching and reversing....But that's how they do it...

I was at the Skyview Center today.. and I saw that set. Here's some updates on RFW business:

-One week ago today, #2116 was facing Manhattan bound, and I managed to get an exp RFW. 

If you haven't seen the video, here is the video: 

As of today, they have re-coupled that set, and #2116 is now coupled to the single car between the two 5 car sets. I did not take note of 2120, if it had an RFW or not.

-The car with #1960 has the old way of coupling. The 5 car set to Manhattan, and then 6 singles. I assume that it would be changed soon, though.

-What I've been told and seen is that #1996 Manhattan bound has an RFW, I don't know if anyone can confirm this, but it should have an RFW. 

Some R188 business:

-Something is spreading around that the R142A conversion sets aren't able to run due to third rail problems. I highly doubt this is true, and if it is I would like confirmation from someone from the (MTA).

-They have finally fixed the blacked out signs on R188 set 7844-7854, and I'm glad they did.

-I haven't been seeing 7833-7843 (set with a lot of vandalism) out yet. Maybe they're cleaning it up....

R62A (6) business:

-People are saying that Pelham Bay Park, Parkchester, and Upper East Side people are complaining a lot about them... The bronx section complaining about incorrect rollsigns, and the people on the UES just straight up saying they "deserve new trains." Just to give my two cents..... The people from the UES need to f*** off if that's their complaint. Just because you're wealthy doesn't mean you get what you want. The people from Pelham Bay/Parkchester I understand, because it can be rather confusing w/ those rollsigns. But on the UES, you realize that westchester would rather take care of R62A (again probably a rumor), and that if you do get your NTT's than they'd probably be in the worst condition ever. 

I think there would be a lot of action on the IRT in the near future...(and by that I mean in the next few months)

I saw it again today! Its amazing two days in a row!

They are coupled:

5 car set - a single car-  another 5 car set

For example,

1711-1715, 1915, 2081-2085 (also known as the Seinfeld set, which should be unwrapped by now)

But in that case, it was something like:

17xx-17xx, 19xx,19xx,19xx,19xx,19xx,1960

You know they are singles when the numbers don't match up with the car either before/after it (or both).

I have the numbers and that is wrong

Main St 1960-1913-1902-1943-1939- 1914-2005-2004-2003-2002-2001

I finally saw the E trains to Kew Gdns again! I have only seen it once before and I saw two of them today. I saw one of them at Kew Gdns saying last stop, but was only able to take video as it was leaving, saw another one at Roosevelt with no ability to take video.

Edited by Union Tpke

R62A (6) business:

Nobody on the UES is saying that, and there are like three random railfans who actually got annoyed about the rollsigns. Honestly, many UES residents don't even ride the subway. Everybody makes up drama. Somebody even quoted an obviously satirical Straphangers post as if it were serious.

But, there are people complaining about the R62As, and sometimes I am one of them. They are fine midday and weekends, but they are consistently late during rush hour service due to the narrower doors and consequently longer loading times. This pisses regular commuters like myself off, as our trips become longer for no good reason. My morning peak rush hour 11-station commute, which takes 19-20 minutes on an R142A, takes 25-26 minutes on an R62A, which often leads to an express run, which means waiting for another train, which means a 28-29 minute commute. It's annoying, and people from all parts of the city are annoyed about it--riders making connections from Brooklyn, locals, etc. That's where the complaints come from, and they are valid; service has gotten worse because the MTA did not think through an equipment change properly. Rollsigns and "old train" complaints are made up by railfans. 

I saw it again today! Its amazing two days in a row!

I have the numbers and that is wrong

Main St 1960-1913-1902-1943-1939- 1914-2005-2004-2003-2002-2001

I finally saw the E trains to Kew Gdns again! I have only seen it once before and I saw two of them today. I saw one of them at Kew Gdns saying last stop, but was only able to take video as it was leaving, saw another one at Roosevelt with no ability to take video.

Yup, I saw that set again today as well. As for the example, it was an example. :P But yeah, that's the correct numbers for that set, plus I think it's the only one out there w/ an RFW.

Yesterday I had one of the best operators I've had on the (N) in a long time. Took him 1-2 mins to get through the 60th Street Tunnel. Sick ride!

Someone said also 1996 didn't they?

Saw 1996 yesterday and can confirm that it has an RFW manhattan bound.

Coming home earlier on the (1) I saw an R142 or R142A set between 181st and 191st. Didn't see if there passengers, couldn't see the sign that great either.

Probably the R142A set from the (4) on the (2) due to last weekends G.O. or a rerouted R142 (2) ?

Edited by Priincenene

What are the odds that consecutive trains end up delayed because of a sick passenger at the same stop? It happened this morning on the Lex. I was on a downtown (4) train that stalled for 20 minutes outside of Union Square because of a sick passenger on the (5) in front of it. It's beyond me as to why my train wasn't switched to the local track about 5 minutes in and allowed to continue moving. It ended up being that express trains behind mine got out of Union before me which is plain sad. To add insult to injury after pulling into Union my train ends up with a sick passenger. Just for kicks one of the (5) sent local into Union ends up stopping midway and the T/O gets out of the car checking the doors for some reason. Let's just say it all was a mess and it would have been nice if the trains CLOSEST to the delay got first priority to move ahead. 

Ok good to be back. First sorry for the inconvenience, my photobucket account was accidentally deleted. However I still have all the original photos going all the way back to April of last year. I will slowly work up a gallery on this site and make up for that. Expect fresh content soon in the upcoming week as I start railfanning again after a hell of a few weeks...

================================================================================

That aside: Now I keep on hearing of a G / N swap. These are photos via facebook released I believe about 1 1/2 weeks ago. These are not my photos:

1451986_254184164789120_2859901050995586

Credits: Unknown

10441347_486265568170162_747336363875882Credits: Emil Luk

Supposedly 5 car Siemens R160 sets will be introduced to the G for the Greenpoint tube closure work. The displaced R68's will be placed on the N. 

Unconfirmed.

Anyone heard of this? I wanted to dismiss this as rumors or cancelled maneuvers in RTO Operations Planning until I found these photos...